ADVERTISEMENT

Ashton Hagans vs Tre Jones

Both are really good. No idea who will be better in five years. Tre works great for Duke and Hagans seems to be working great for UK.
This.

Duke needs a facilitator to get the Big 3 the ball in the right spots, and Jones does that very well. We need a guy who can get to the hole and disrupt teams out front, and no pg does that better than Hagans. I wouldn't want to trade for Jones, and Duke wouldn't want to trade for Hagans. Both views are correct.

Reactions: Jpthegame
It really aggravates me to no end how Tre Jones gets called the best defender in the country and how he's considered a 1st round pick and Hagans isn't. What is Jones better at than Hagans exactly? He's smaller than Hagans, he's less athletic, neither one are shooters but Hagans is the better shooter, and Hagans is the better defender, what am I missing?
So you don't want Hagans back next season? Win/win :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Andrew Harrison

I got tired of hearing them say things like Hagans is our Tre Jones. No he is our Ashton Hagans. He has averaged 6 less minutes per game on the year than Jones. I went back and looked at every Duke game stats wise and didn't see a single game where Jones just completely took over the way Hagans did last night.

Hagans
35 minutes 23 points 5 rebounds 4 assists 4 steals 1 turnover 9/18 shooting 1/3 three pointers

The only thing Jones is really better at right now is his assists and turnovers. Who couldn't get a bunch of assists though throwing the ball to the top 2 picks in the incoming NBA Draft?

Hagans has already improved his assists to turnover ratio since he became the full time PG after Green left. He has like 32 assists to 17 turnovers. So he has brought it up the last 7 games to 1.9/1 compared to the first 9 games with 24 assists and 16 turnovers for a 1.5/1 ratio (hopefully I got those numbers right, was going through the stats and trying to keep the assists and turnovers for each game in my head). By the end of the year he probably will get it up somewhere around 2.5 to 3/1.

One of the few non bias takes on here......You can put either as the top defender and you wouldn’t be wrong. Both have taken over games via defense. Trae is rated higher due to playing better early and everyone (including me) had Trae much higher. He’s still higher overall and if the draft was held today he would go before Hagans........

Now with that said you are blind if you don’t see the momentum that is coming with Hagans and I’m talking SGA type momentum. Other pg were ranked way ahead of him early in the college season but in the end he was one of the best. I see Hagans on that trajectory and think by the end of the year he will be a first round lock and likely lotto guy as well as being ahead of Trae overall and that’s even if Trae wouldn’t have gotten hurt

Both are really good. No idea who will be better in five years. Tre works great for Duke and Hagans seems to be working great for UK.

Good post.

In a 1v1 head-to-head game, Hagans probably wins because he's a better scorer (and hasn't even touched his full potential there yet), and is probably a slightly better defender (though both are really good).

Tre Jones plays sound, smart basketball and is a great facilitator. Hagans is good in that department as of late, but Jones has been rock solid all season. Even if you were to take Zion and Barrett out of the equation, he would still be solid.

But, if you were to switch them, Duke wouldn't be as good with Hagans, and UK wouldn't be as good with Tre Jones. They are great fits for their team.

Reactions: Catzman
Well Tre has points produced rating of 168 to 117 for Hagans. Tre assists on 27% of all duke fgs to 24% for Hagans. Tre has a 10% turnover rate versus 26% for Hagans. Tre’s wins shares are at 2.3 to 1.2 for Hagans. Tre has a box +\- of 7.3 to 5.6 for Hagans.

So basically Tre has far superior advanced stats and he compiled these versus the 18th strongest schedule versus the 77th strongest for Hagans.

Nice game vs Georgia but I wouldn’t get carried away. Hagans is a nice player but Tre is the best pg in college hoops.

You're insane if you really think Tre Jones is the best PG in college basketball. All those "stats" you just listed are all because of who his teammates are. The kid is a good defender but that's about it. He doesn't turn the ball over because he isn't a real playmaker and he can't shoot outside of 5 foot floaters. I could name at least 5 point guards off the top of my head that are better than Jones.

Jones is the better on the ball defender. Not sure he's better in any other way; maybe three point shooting.

AH is a better team defender, anticipating, playing the passing lanes, getting his steals that way. Jones can turn his man. No one on UK can.

Both are important to their teams just in different ways. What does it matter what Bilas says ad nauseum? That's the real issue anyway.

But let's be clear about one thing. Who will go higher in the NBA draft is meaningless regarding UK or Duke success this year.

Well Tre has points produced rating of 168 to 117 for Hagans. Tre assists on 27% of all duke fgs to 24% for Hagans. Tre has a 10% turnover rate versus 26% for Hagans. Tre’s wins shares are at 2.3 to 1.2 for Hagans. Tre has a box +\- of 7.3 to 5.6 for Hagans.

So basically Tre has far superior advanced stats and he compiled these versus the 18th strongest schedule versus the 77th strongest for Hagans.

Nice game vs Georgia but I wouldn’t get carried away. Hagans is a nice player but Tre is the best pg in college hoops.
One plays for a fake and phony rat faced bastard , that will try to shame into coming back to collage next year because he owe's to him and Dook and the other plays for Coach Cal , that's the way I see it .

One plays for a fake and phony rat faced bastard , that will try to shame into coming back to collage next year because he owe's to him and Dook and the other plays for Coach Cal , that's the way I see it .

collage-heart-2.jpg

One of the few non bias takes on here......You can put either as the top defender and you wouldn’t be wrong. Both have taken over games via defense. Trae is rated higher due to playing better early and everyone (including me) had Trae much higher. He’s still higher overall and if the draft was held today he would go before Hagans........

Now with that said you are blind if you don’t see the momentum that is coming with Hagans and I’m talking SGA type momentum. Other pg were ranked way ahead of him early in the college season but in the end he was one of the best. I see Hagans on that trajectory and think by the end of the year he will be a first round lock and likely lotto guy as well as being ahead of Trae overall and that’s even if Trae wouldn’t have gotten hurt
Beat me to it. Comparing the two point guards right now is one thing, let's broach the subject again in mid March and see what their stats and eye test look like.
Momentum is the perfect word to use for what we are seeing with Hagans right now.
I'm taking a wait and see approach, but if he takes over the Auburn game like he took over the Georgia game, his momentum will be much stronger that Tre's.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
duke boy is projected to go at the end of the 1st round. Hagans just started showing up and is listed at the top of the 2nd round. I would guess that 1 of the 2 continue to climb the draft boards.

Lol right.

Hagans didn’t even get major clock til Quade left. Jones has been logging major min all season.

I’m gonna bring up one stat since every one in America thinks Jones is the best freshman defender in the country.

Steals-Jones has 33 steals in 468 min
Hagans has 35 steals in 385 min.

Stop slurping soo much duke kool aid.

You have to explain to where he understands it. If Hagans played 468 minutes, the same amount Jones has played, Hagans would have around 42 or 43 steals.

You have to explain to where he understands it. If Hagans played 468 minutes, the same amount Jones has played, Hagans would have around 42 or 43 steals.

For real. That guy is goofy.

You can pretty guarantee if something is said about Duke on this board he is quick to defend it with some dumb ratio or idiotic statement.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Just for the record...

If you want to use advance stats their PER is 17.3 to 17.4 for Ashton to Tre.

But that Duke fan also failed to note that in conference play Tre is 16ish and Aston is 31 ish.

Ashton didn't come on strong till recently when Quade transferred and Cal adjusted his rotation.

Tre simply isn't even in his ballpark recently.

Their win share in conference play is .270 ish for Ashton and .130 for Tre.

Of course Ashton's stats have been good even before the conference play.

Only argument is that Tre started the season as a starting point guard on a loaded team and benefited from doing easy lobs to big time players.

Tre's situation didn't change Ashton did and he is completely different player.

Well Hagans has really just now started coming. If he has a big game against Aubirn line he did today and we win...hes gon a explode...hes on the verge right now
I agree with your statement. If he continues to ball out and dominate then he will def blow up

Reminds me of Packer chirping about Wojo being the best defensive player in the nation. Turner exposed him. He went by Wojo like he was standing still. "Their killing Wojo." Packer was about to cry.

Hahahahaha so true. I remember that like it was yesterday.

Man, I was 13 years old watching that game with dad and just remember being so damn mad I wanted to cry when the first half ended.

I remember Dad kept saying just wait til the Cats make a run just wait and need I say more.

How great would it be to have Hagans back next year with Maxey and Whitney!! Boom!!
Hey Wyld it would be "wild" to have him back next year. But I don't think it's going to happen Hagans jumped onto the mock drafts at the top of the 2nd round. We have to figure he is only going to get better so the 1st round is most likely in his future.

Tre got off to a much better start, but Hagans has come on of late. I don’t know the statistical breakdown, but I doubt Jones has been any better than Hagans since around our UNC game.
Plus the guys Tre is throwing to anywhere close to the rim. Someone might have already said this not sure, but it makes a difference when your a PG playing with that level, #1-2-3 players. They would make a lot of avg PG's look good. They put a lot of pressure on teams also looking over their shoulder constantly. I really don't think Jones is anything special or a PG that will do much in the NBA. Hagan's on the other hand is doing so much more with less. I haven't checked, but I would assume the NBA would take Hagan's over Jones all day.

Reactions: Cowboys&Wildcats
Hagans isn't going to compare favorably to Tre Jones if you compare production over the entire season. Hagans just wasn't very good for the first half of this season. In conference play, Hagans is definitely in that conversation. Let's hope it's a permanent status rather than a small sample size blip.

Plus the guys Tre is throwing to anywhere close to the rim. Someone might have already said this not sure, but it makes a difference when your a PG playing with that level, #1-2-3 players. They would make a lot of avg PG's look good. They put a lot of pressure on teams also looking over their shoulder constantly. I really don't think Jones is anything special or a PG that will do much in the NBA. Hagan's on the other hand is doing so much more with less. I haven't checked, but I would assume the NBA would take Hagan's over Jones all day.
Never

Hagens has been posting a crazy PER, the last few games. You really could not go wrong with either one, Jones is a good defender as well. There is a reason Duke's perimeter defense went all to hell after Jones hurt his shoulder, he already had 4 steals and was inching himself into the Syracuse guards craniums slowly, they did not have to worry about his initial pressure no more and they took advantage of it, blitzkrieg Duke's D with 3 pointers and offensive rebounding..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT