ADVERTISEMENT

As I feared, Barnhart is failing

He’s failed the basketball program at every turn besides hiring cal. Hiring Billy, letting cal bully him into that contract, doing nothing to improve to crowd atmosphere at Rupp, our awful uniforms we had for way too long, new floor at Rupp built like crap so we had to give it back, and now 0/2 in a very public manner

Mitch needs to GO

The Hurley offer cannot be used against Mitch, but he also shouldn't have offered Drew first. He has one more try at getting a big time proven coach in Donovan, then I'd personally go Golden.
Don't forget the Oats debacle if we're to believe he reached out to him first--but didn't want to pay a buyout or get a confirmation from Oats that he'd come before telling Greg Byrne to reduce the Buyout.

The handling of things has been amateur hour. That being said, it's all going to be about the actual hire. So he's got to either land someone or step out of the way and let those who know people and how to do this get it done.

I mean, we had Drew's family yesterday and released them without even trying to hold them hostage. Mitch dropped the ball.
They don't listen to Mitch or anyone. They don't even listen to themselves. It was clear that they listen only to God, and after a night of praying, they felt comfortable staying put.

Not a Mitch failure.

Reactions: maxp12
What a complete mess.
What a complete mess.
how is he messing up? Pitino was our 2nd or 3rd choice, cal wasn’t the first choice. Please elaborate. Hurley was a pipe dream. So he misses on one very high man of faith that didn’t want to leave a Baptist university. Not understanding why people are freaking out.

He’s failed the basketball program at every turn besides hiring cal. Hiring Billy, letting cal bully him into that contract, doing nothing to improve to crowd atmosphere at Rupp, our awful uniforms we had for way too long, new floor at Rupp built like crap so we had to give it back, and now 0/2 in a very public manner

Mitch needs to GO
Not improving the facilities for Basketball can be added which is a big deal with prospective coaches. He was so hellbent on digging in with a "fight" with Cal that he hurt the program for the next people to run things.

It’s not just Mitch. It’s the aura around this program.

I hate to be this person, but could WE the loud, boisterous, passionate, borderline insane fanbase be making this job unattractive because of our high expectations/pressure and doing shit like calling restaurants and tracking planes?

We found out in 2007 that we couldn’t just appoint our coach of choice. In 2009 we had a big name hoping for a call.

Takes a special person to do this job and do it well. The last one got chewed up by it (and his ego and stubbornness) and is now in a pig pen behind Walmart and the chicken plant.
I've thought about it more, and you're right. Really thinking about it, the plane tracking and restaurant calling is absolutely lunacy in my opinion. Some people can't wrap their heads around boundaries. At first I simplified it as being passionate, but yeah, you've nailed it.

I don't hate Matt Jones, but he has been loving those actions and thinks it's great, the phone call one especially.

Don't forget the Oats debacle if we're to believe he reached out to him first--but didn't want to pay a buyout or get a confirmation from Oats that he'd come before telling Greg Byrne to reduce the Buyout.

The handling of things has been amateur hour. That being said, it's all going to be about the actual hire. So he's got to either land someone or step out of the way and let those who know people and how to do this get it done.
I heard Oats is tied up in a divorce matter.

I don't give two shits that Cal is gone. But you all act like literally any coach would have crawled over broken glass to get to Lexington to take the job. If anyone said otherwise they were mocked. In 2007 every top target said no and we ended up with Billy G. But for some reason everyone forgets that.

"It's Kentucky" isn't enough to attract coaches anymore. It's just not, regardless of how much you deflect and make it about Cal.
Who else did UK try to hire? Name them.

Mitch isn't failing. The job just really isn't as attractive as this board thinks it is. And anyone who has mentioned that the last few years has been mocked and called a fake fan. Well, here's the reality check.
Agree…As a failing coach once said ‘Playing at Kentucky is not for everybody!’. That applies to coaches as well.

Reactions: mapcatfan
I heard Oats is tied up in a divorce matter.
So if that was known....which it should be seeing Mitch is in the SEC with Greg Byrne--why the hell would he waste time in the first place? There's a lot of moving goalposts that don't add up.

I know this--Greg Byrne got word that some big jobs were going to come open and didn't wait for Oats to get more $, extended, etc...he took care of things albeit prior to the surprising Final Four run and after having to only take less than 2 days to replace Nick Saban--you know a guy who left as still having elite results unlike Cal.

Hurley was very unlikely. Someone posted in another thread that Bama got told no twice in replacing Saban.

This is part of the process. Mitch is doing everything right and he will get us the right coach.

So if that was known....which it should be seeing Mitch is in the SEC with Greg Byrne--why the hell would he waste time in the first place? There's a lot of moving goalposts that don't add up.

I know this--Greg Byrne got word that some big jobs were going to come open and didn't wait for Oats to get more $, extended, etc...he took care of things albeit prior to the surprising Final Four run and after having to only take less than 2 days to replace Nick Saban--you know a guy who left as still having elite results unlike Cal.
At this point I would just take a chance on a young guy like Golden.Wouldn't have to pay much and not hard to get rid of if he fails.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Seems odd these other schools hired guys like Hurley, but UK couldn't have? Why? We know why, Barnhart is why.

Okay, you are losing it Go look at Hurley's record before he was hired at UConn and his first 4 years at Uconn. It wasn't good at all. Do you seriously think UK should hire someone with those credentials and HOPE that he somehow wins back to back titles?

The REAL mistake was that absurd extension that hamstrung us into 5 years of trash coaching.

This week he's doing all he can, by far. I'm shocked this conservative guy is walking around throwing this much cash at these candidates. Crazy. But when they say no, what can you do?
You trust the huy that hired BCG and Joker.?

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Honestly at this point maybe get Pearl. Donovan history makes it an all or nothing gamble. If he screws UK again, UK will be lucky to field a team and you know Pearl will be competitive and bring some guys with him.

At this point I would just take a chance on a young guy like Golden.Wouldn't have to pay much and not hard to get rid of if he fails.
You also can take all of that Tier 1 coaching $ and apply it to Staff/NIL/Recruiting $.

I'm confident Golden is going to be successful and may as well grow within the program. I mean he's won more SEC Tournament games in his 2 yrs at UF then Cal has in last 5.

What a complete mess.
He went after a guy who’s been rooted at a program for 22 years and who has values beyond money and recognition. Then he allegedly offered the moon to the hottest name in coaching right now. We aren’t so entitled that anyone we offer is obligated to accept. Coaching at UK isn’t easy nor for everyone. This very forum is an indication of how demanding and unreasonable our fanbase can be. In this day and age of Social media, we bare our asses in a very public way. Sometimes no amount of money can make someone want to deal with that. What else is Barnhart supposed to do to seal the deal so he’s not a “complete mess”.

Okay, you are losing it Go look at Hurley's record before he was hired at UConn and his first 4 years at Uconn. It wasn't good at all. Do you seriously think UK should hire someone with those credentials and HOPE that he somehow wins back to back titles?
UConn did. Seems they were right. Barnhart hired BCG. Who was right?

I think Cal severely damaged the program. The combination of years of underperforming and then leaving voluntarily for Arkansas has made Kentucky look less attractive to candidates. In addition, he’s now throwing shots like the blue blood thing.
Imagine this job being open in 2019 or 2017 versus now.

Reactions: Cawood86
He went after a guy who’s been rooted at a program for 22 years and who has values beyond money and recognition. Then he allegedly offered the moon to the hottest name in coaching right now. We aren’t so entitled that anyone we offer is obligated to accept. Coaching at UK isn’t easy nor for everyone. This very forum is an indication of how demanding and unreasonable our fanbase can be. In this day and age of Social media, we bare our asses in a very public way. Sometimes no amount of money can make someone want to deal with that. What else is Barnhart supposed to do to seal the deal so he’s not a “complete mess”.
You're proving my point. Barnhart should know Drew well enough to know he wouldn't take it. Stories are they are close friends.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Mitch isn't failing. The job just really isn't as attractive as this board thinks it is. And anyone who has mentioned that the last few years has been mocked and called a fake fan. Well, here's the reality check.

Nah it still is.

Only offered two people so far and both were basically impossibilities for any job to ever pry them out of their current situations.

Guy in Gods Will is NOT budging.
Guy who wins B2B titles is NOT budging.

I just hope all the uk fans who bad mouthed cal are happy. A bunch of entitled fans. You thought we could get anybody we wanted. Guaranteed a bunch of middle aged and older fans who are stuck in the 90’s think that way. Its a new day and time for new faces. Get off the old guys and get behind mitch to get some up and coming guys.
You are a tremendous slouch.

🤣

They don't listen to Mitch or anyone. They don't even listen to themselves. It was clear that they listen only to God, and after a night of praying, they felt comfortable staying put.

Not a Mitch failure.
The failure is that Barnhart and Drew are close friends reportedly. He should know how much faith plays into Drew's life and family.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT