ADVERTISEMENT

Article can Cal win NC with next seasons class

ukjenning44

Junior
Nov 21, 2022
Will likely need to go to the portal again for shooters. Although we’re already gonna have a lot of guards. I think next year’s team is going to struggle from 3 mightily. No one coming in is known as a sharp shooter. Cal is clog the pain with two bugs again and likely play someone out of position at the 3.

Bradshaw will struggle to defend D1 bigs just like most of our recent freshmen bigs. Whoever between Dilly and Wags runs the point is going to be TO prone early on.

My biggest fear though? Someone opts out after early struggles and the season looks like this season. I hope I’m wrong, but AD ain’t coming through that door.

I hope he isn’t still here to get the chance.

Who the heck is Keith Peel and what a pathetic article! Did anyone actually read it? Is this writer in Junior Hi or what?

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Will likely need to go to the portal again for shooters. Although we’re already gonna have a lot of guards. I think next year’s team is going to struggle from 3 mightily. No one coming in is known as a sharp shooter. Cal is clog the pain with two bugs again and likely play someone out of position at the 3.

Bradshaw will struggle to defend D1 bigs just like most of our recent freshmen bigs. Whoever between Dilly and Wags runs the point is going to be TO prone early on.

My biggest fear though? Someone opts out after early struggles and the season looks like this season. I hope I’m wrong, but AD ain’t coming through that door.
Onyenso will play ahead of Bradshaw.

I can't imagine any perimeter player (worth having) transferring here if we already have Wagner, Dillingham, Sheppard, Edwards, Fredrick, maybe Reeves and/or Theiro on board.
If Livingston doesn't return, I would like to bring in a transfer PF (preferably who can shoot 3's). Someone like Missou's Brown, or Hopkins.

Onyenso will play ahead of Bradshaw.

I can't imagine any perimeter player (worth having) transferring here if we already have Wagner, Dillingham, Sheppard, Edwards, Fredrick, maybe Reeves and/or Theiro on board.
If Livingston doesn't return, I would like to bring in a transfer PF (preferably who can shoot 3's). Someone like Missou's Brown, or Hopkins.
Well then we’re going to be a terrible shooting team. Fredrick will go down with injury, and even if he doesn’t Cal won’t run plays for him and he’s not an iso player. But I agree, unlikely to bring in a wing player, and I mentioned as such in the post you replied to.

Cal could bring in a stretch 4 but he won’t use them that way so it’d be a waste. He’ll stick em in the paint or play them at the 3.

Next year's team looks similar to the 2013-14 team, an almost all-freshmen team full of 5 stars. The big difference though is we've been told the HS seniors are a weak class and the SEC is much better now than it was 8 years ago. Next year's team will probably lose a bunch of early season games, lose 7-8 SEC games and hope to mesh by March. Probably be an 8 or 9 seed.

NO---begok has zero chance of making a ncaaT final four as head coach in the future.

his priorities do not provide enough hard work and good "coaching".

the days of begok making a ncaaT final four are past. He even said as much---social activism is #1

rr

I hope he isn’t still here to get the chance.

How many top 3 classes has Cal signed here? How many NC has he won with all of that talent? He cannot Coach teams with experience and he cannot Coach Freshman here for only one year.

Need Ugo to greatly improve and Livingston to come back. Bradshaw can't start on a contending team.

I like Ian J more than anyone we have signed but don't see him joining this class unless someone decommits. Not sure Dillingham can really run a team and make great decision as a frosh but also most likely not to make to campus.

IJ-Wagner-Edwards-Livingston-Ugo is intriguing. Thiero as 6th man.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Anything is possible but K had a top rated class with what looks like better players/freshman recruits and didn't get there. We may have hated K. but he could coach and make in game adjustments. His teams even down always came back to make it close if not winning.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yeah, not sure what the other poster is talking about. They are all signed except for Jackson, who may commit and reclassify.
Except.... 'signing' carries little weight anymore. NLI releases are requested as easily as a transfer request.
Then you have last year's fiasco w/ Sharpe.
Also, elite players have many other options than they used to (endorsements w/o playing, g-league, overseas, etc.).

I honestly think there are two issues that make the answer NO.

1. His in game coaching. A major issue but not going to focus on this one because perhaps a good team can overcome it. Maybe 2012 proves that, even though I believe if the championship game was 3 minutes longer, we lose.

2. Refs. I honestly think this is the big one. Calipari has pissed off so many refs, and is despised by so many of them, that he is never going to get a favorable whistle. In an elite 8, or final 4, or championship game, there is going to come a time where there is some key judgement call and I am a firm believer that he won't get a positive judgement. In a tight game, a biased ref will go against him.

JMO

The bias ref is over-stated in my humble opinion. Fans have too much emotions caught up with their team and more likely are the bias than the refs (with the exception of one roofer). We tend to ignore the calls made on our behalf and pay attention to the ones against us.

Now back to the question as I suggested before K had a top Freshman recruiting class with a top notch center and didn't make it. If Oscar for some odd reason was to stay and some other surprises occur then maybe. Otherwise I don't see it.

Reactions: blue woman
I honestly think there are two issues that make the answer NO.

1. His in game coaching. A major issue but not going to focus on this one because perhaps a good team can overcome it. Maybe 2012 proves that, even though I believe if the championship game was 3 minutes longer, we lose.

2. Refs. I honestly think this is the big one. Calipari has pissed off so many refs, and is despised by so many of them, that he is never going to get a favorable whistle. In an elite 8, or final 4, or championship game, there is going to come a time where there is some key judgement call and I am a firm believer that he won't get a positive judgement. In a tight game, a biased ref will go against him.

JMO
While I absolutely hate that Cal loves to "grind out" games in the last five min (which in reality has cost him some big time games), I don't agree with the premise a lot of people have that is the game was 3 or 5 min longer, KU would have completed the comeback.

Say the game is 45 min instead of 40, Cal just would have pulled the reins back at the 40 min mark as opposed to the 35 min mark, thus leading to most likely the same results. It's not like Cal is going to all of a sudden go to stall ball for the last 10 min of a game if 5 min are added on. He will just delay his stupid stall ball until the 40 min mark.

Reactions: blue woman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT