ADVERTISEMENT

Article can Cal win NC with next seasons class

The bias ref is over-stated in my humble opinion. Fans have too much emotions caught up with their team and more likely are the bias than the refs (with the exception of one roofer). We tend to ignore the calls made on our behalf and pay attention to the ones against us.

Now back to the question as I suggested before K had a top Freshman recruiting class with a top notch center and didn't make it. If Oscar for some odd reason was to stay and some other surprises occur then maybe. Otherwise I don't see it.
I think most everyone agrees that officiating is bad overall. I would also say Cal is pretty poor at working them. IIRC There was an anonymous articles by CBS that he is the least favorite of some of them. I do think it has contributed to our very mediocre road SEC record under Cal (taking out the 2 super teams).

Yes, but some of these guys need to be on the level of Wall/AD/Cousins/Fox/ETC. I think Cal's model can work WHEN he has this type of talent, because they can do things on the floor that don't require much of an offensive/defensive scheme. But if these guys are more like the talent of the last few classes, it will be more of the same.

I'm wondering, and maybe the more important questions.. who the hell returns next year?!

I hope he isn’t still here to get the chance.

He could literally have a pro team and it would take him all season to figure things out and chance that will not get figured out like last year.

Yes, but some of these guys need to be on the level of Wall/AD/Cousins/Fox/ETC. I think Cal's model can work WHEN he has this type of talent, because they can do things on the floor that don't require much of an offensive/defensive scheme. But if these guys are more like the talent of the last few classes, it will be more of the same.

I'm wondering, and maybe the more important questions.. who the hell returns next year?!
I just don't think Cal's model will work at all in today’s college basketball.

Yeah sure, if Cal gets two guys that can mimic AD and MKG, he'll win some games, but college basketball is so much more balanced now than it was even 7 years ago. The SEC is much better now than it was back then too.

Cal is trying to iso everything and force feed the post. He doesn't use pick n roll, doesn't use high screens, doesn't use back screens and doesn't use cutters, he just relies on old school NBA junk that has long been figured out and most of these top 10 hs kids are guys that simply have NBA potential, they aren't polished enough to do what Cal needs them to do.

We saw what happened to 2019 duke, they should have been ousted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds before they finally bit the bullet in the E8. One-and-done just doesn't work and what's worse, it causes a roster issue the next year too. It’s a never ending cycle.

Something else that made the 12 team work out so well. Cal had a clear 7 that could play, and no one after that. Yeah he played Vargas some to back up AD, but Vargas sucked and even Cal knew it. And really the top 6 were much better than the 7th guy. So Cal did not have much lineup figuring to do, it was all pretty crystal clear. The Platoon (until Poythress injury) was the same, implement that and he didn't have to think about lineups much.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Something else that made the 12 team work out so well. Cal had a clear 7 that could play, and no one after that. Yeah he played Vargas some to back up AD, but Vargas sucked and even Cal knew it. And really the top 6 were much better than the 7th guy. So Cal did not have much lineup figuring to do, it was all pretty crystal clear. The Platoon (until Poythress injury) was the same, implement that and he didn't have to think about lineups much.
So the less Cal has to think, the better. Got it.

NO---begok has zero chance of making a ncaaT final four as head coach in the future.

his priorities do not provide enough hard work and good "coaching".

the days of begok making a ncaaT final four are past. He even said as much---social activism is #1

rr
Enough with the social activism spiel. This is a ludicrous take.

I like Boogie, Johnell Davis is huge for Cal. I’m not sure what Knox or Richmond provides. Aidoo gives him a veteran presence inside. It will be interesting to see how Cal uses Big Z.

I do think Cal is engaged again. He wants to prove us wrong and that makes him dangerous. Still, I am happy as a lark that he isn’t here! He lost his way & his motivation it seemed

I think Cal’s biggest obstacle to winning a NC next year will be the fact that he kept the same staff and lost Welch. X’s & O’s & bad relationships with Refs will get him

Arkansas is the needle now. You would have to go back a month to see a thread on Kansas Tennessee Duke or UNC. There are 5 Arkansas threads a day.
Arkansas claim to fame is that they have the unwanted ex Kentucky coach. They get one drop of severely diluted and tainted Kentucky juice, and they are intoxicated. It’s hilarious. They are irrelevant. Always have been, always will be.

21-10 regular season; Win exactly one game in SECT; lose in round of 32.

Cal goes out with a whimper.

I know what's going to happen, you know what's going to happen, we all know what's going to happen.

Hahahahha - Turns out I was being optimistic - but Cal did in fact go out with a whimper.

Deep down inside we all knew what was going to happen.

I like Boogie, Johnell Davis is huge for Cal. I’m not sure what Knox or Richmond provides. Aidoo gives him a veteran presence inside. It will be interesting to see how Cal uses Big Z.

I do think Cal is engaged again. He wants to prove us wrong and that makes him dangerous. Still, I am happy as a lark that he isn’t here! He lost his way & his motivation it seemed

I think Cal’s biggest obstacle to winning a NC next year will be the fact that he kept the same staff and lost Welch. X’s & O’s & bad relationships with Refs will get him
But he can't prove us wrong if he changes to go after the best college players (i.e., the top transfer portal guys). That would be proving us right, right?

Arkansas is the needle now. You would have to go back a month to see a thread on Kansas Tennessee Duke or UNC. There are 5 Arkansas threads a day.
Needle? They are a thorn in their own ass with Cal. Lets see, Cal has 5000 at his anouncement, Pope has 30,000 for a news conference. Never think that Arkansas is anything but a SEC football program and any needles are getting put into vodo dolls.

His engagement will be short lived. Once the season gets underway he will be right back to his lazy non coaching methods. Just don’t think there is a roster he can coach to another championship or even close. Getting out of the first weekend is now a monumental task for him as we have seen the past 5 years.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
My post had nothing to do with supporting Cal.

Thinking that acronym is stupid is an entirely different matter. It was then, and it still is.

I realized that, but others had posted that Cal was never leaving, so I left it as is.

But will the refs change now that he's not here. They can't hate BOTH now can they?

Reactions: pinecreek
All the Hog fans that are on here. Need to read this thread from the beginning. Thread was started Jan 3 2023. It will show them UK fans had zero faith in Cal's coaching well before last season even started.
It won't but it should show them he can't coach and if they think that's going to magically change because he moved to Fayetteville. They are in for a rude awakening.
But outside of a handful of years their program isn't good. So they may love his 20-12 regular seasons and 0-2 postseason records. If they consider 20 wins as great in Arkansas they will love him. More often than not he will be at or near 20 wins. Might even win a tournament game every 4-5 years.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

All the Hog fans that are on here. Need to read this thread from the beginning. Thread was started Jan 3 2023. It will show them UK fans had zero faith in Cal's coaching well before last season even started.
It won't but it should show them he can't coach and if they think that's going to magically change because he moved to Fayetteville. They are in for a rude awakening.
But outside of a handful of years their program isn't good. So they may love his 20-12 regular seasons and 0-2 postseason records. If they consider 20 wins as great in Arkansas they will love him. More often than not he will be at or near 20 wins. Might even win a tournament game every 4-5 years.
“Outside of a handful of years” yet Arkansas has a higher all-time winning percentage than Illinois, Indiana, UConn and Purdue. Not saying they’re the better program than those but it’s a very good job historically.

But he can't prove us wrong if he changes to go after the best college players (i.e., the top transfer portal guys). That would be proving us right, right?
No, going after the best available talent is not proving us wrong.

No, going after the best available talent is not proving us wrong.
I'm confused sometimes when people use the term "talent" here. So, I often don't know whether I agree or not. I've seen folks on this board use the word talent to mean at least two different things. Is talent God-given ability or is it meant to describe the player(s) currently performing the best? To me, it means the former. So, for example, to me an 8th grade version of Michael Jordan today would be the best available talent, but he sure wouldn't be the best college basketball player. At UK I felt Calipari focused too much on getting the best perceived talent (from high school), which probably would have been a better plan if much of that talent would have stayed long enough to develop into more productive college players with the biggest impact on winning games.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
21-10 regular season; Win exactly one game in SECT; lose in round of 32.

Cal goes out with a whimper.

I know what's going to happen, you know what's going to happen, we all know what's going to happen.
In retrospect it's kind of shocking how overly ambitious even this was. So glad we got out from under that guy.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
“Outside of a handful of years” yet Arkansas has a higher all-time winning percentage than Illinois, Indiana, UConn and Purdue. Not saying they’re the better program than those but it’s a very good job historically.
Sorry about your baseball team. It was almost as if Cal took DVH place for the weekend.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

Cal did have a few lottery picks. Just decided to leave em on the bench, because well, Cal. This ain't ya 2009 Cal. Grandpa Cal.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Last edited:
  • Love
There is not a doubt in my mind that Arkansas just lost a better coach than the the one they just hired . I would have traded Cal for Muss in a heartbeat.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Arkansas just lost a better coach than the the one they just hired . I would have traded Cal for Muss in a heartbeat.
They do have some similarities though other than Muss having more recent NCAAT success. The Muss offense was excruciating at times and he coached a team with 4 projected first round picks to an 8-10 SEC record in 2022-23.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT