ADVERTISEMENT

Armed home invader shot dead in Estill County

I'll never understand this tired and goofy big city vs. small town invisible rivalry that people seem to have. Sounds to me like both sides are scared of each other for some unknown reason.

If you really don't know the difference then carry on as usual. You'll know one day.

One side is scared. The other is prepared.
1. You spent two posts talking about people hugging trees so your views might be a tad out of date.
2. Settle down a bit with the silly bumper sticker slogan. The side that's "prepared" was also on social media right before UK played Louisville at The Yum Center asking if it was safe to go to the game. That particular side is also terrified of seemingly every major US city.

Having said that, people born and raised in "big cities" tend to look down at small town life and the people that live in those towns. As one KY high school football coach who unfortunately passed of COVID last year I believe said, "they (city folk) want to run us down but when they retire, they settle in our towns and we welcome them."

As I said, it's a weird invisible rivalry that I'll never understand. We don't need to pick a "team" for everything in life.

1. You spent two posts talking about people hugging trees so your views might be a tad out of date.
2. Settle down a bit with the silly bumper sticker slogan. The side that's "prepared" was also on social media right before UK played Louisville at The Yum Center asking if it was safe to go to the game. That particular side is also terrified of seemingly every major US city.

Having said that, people born and raised in "big cities" tend to look down at small town life and the people that live in those towns. As one KY high school football coach who unfortunately passed of COVID last year I believe said, "they (city folk) want to run us down but when they retire, they settle in our towns and we welcome them."

As I said, it's a weird invisible rivalry that I'll never understand. We don't need to pick a "team" for everything in life.
Call it whatever you like. Big cities and small towns are nothing alike.

It exists because big city folks think they know what's best for everybody. Small town folks just live their lives and mind their business.

I thought I moved to a small country town twenty some years ago. It's now overrun by city folk and a lot of the "old timers" aren't around anymore for various reasons. I figure it's getting close to moving again because this town is getting too big for it's britches.

Call it whatever you like. Big cities and small towns are nothing alike.

It exists because big city folks think they know what's best for everybody. Small town folks just live their lives and mind their business.
Never said they're alike. FWIW, your last comment is incorrect. People don't mind their business in small towns at all. It's one of the things small towns are known for. There's positives and negatives about living anywhere. What you seem to be doing is piling all the negatives on the "big city". It'd just be nice if people didn't have an agenda about everything. Small towns aren't filled with uneducated hicks that we need to fear as if it's Wrong Turn and not everyone who lives in a city is a thug who loves violence.

Never said they're alike. FWIW, your last comment is incorrect. People don't mind their business in small towns at all. It's one of the things small towns are known for. There's positives and negatives about living anywhere. What you seem to be doing is piling all the negatives on the "big city". It'd just be nice if people didn't have an agenda about everything. Small towns aren't filled with uneducated hicks that we need to fear as if it's Wrong Turn and not everyone who lives in a city is a thug who loves violence.
Fair point. Small town folks know what's going on in their town for sure. However, they do not travel to the big cities and tell them how to live or run their town.

There is a serious drug problem here in Estill county, we have the highest rate of overdoses in the state. You can attribute most crime here to drugs. It's the first of the month right now and the Save A Lot looks like a zombie movie.

And the last week of the month that crowd is completely out of money and extremely desperate. It's really sad to see what drugs did to this country as a whole.

The only thing I've seen small town KY prepared for is a Mountain Dew shortage.

The Arby's in Hazard was pretty classy the last time I was over there.

328432499-914696526554347-9088877955529614843-n.jpg

C'mon Cawood, that was funny. I've lived in small towns and big cities. There are good and bad things about both. And good and bad people in both.
Yet to find anything good about big cities. Good and bad exist everywhere for sure. Higher density in big cities.

It was funny btw....😉

Gotta room broom in the house for such occasions as this. Although my man Samuel l Jackson has a good idea too.

A societal collapse going on & it just ain’t safe being out..

Well, it’s pretty quiet here in these ole hills. Sure we have our problems & issues just like everyone else, and yes, it’s getting a little crazier & wilder..

But heck, we still leave our doors unlocked all day long when we leave & I forget to lock my doors before bedtime sometimes still.. They are all unlocked as I type this..

When you kill someone defending your property you are basically saying that the property is more valuable to you than that humans life!

Yep!
Sure enough.
Uh huh!

• Haha
Reactions: blubo
I'll never understand this tired and goofy big city vs. small town invisible rivalry that people seem to have. Sounds to me like both sides are scared of each other for some unknown reason.
That's because it isn't a rivalry. Outside rural America people are going about their lives and for the most part never think a thing about what rurals are doing, but in rural areas they have to tell each other stories about how scary the outside world is in order to be stodgy enough to stay home and never move anywhere else. They're like characters out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Monsters are just beyond the fence.

They'll flat out tell you in Estill County! "You aint playin no Harry Potter up here. It's of the devil and watching it is outlawed."

That sh*t might work in Lexington, but don’t try this in Estill County

Doesn't work in some parts of Lexington, either. I remember back 20 years ago or so where an intruder broke into an apt off of Redding Rd somewhere and got the living snot beat out of him by the tenant.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
When you kill someone defending your property you are basically saying that the property is more valuable to you than that humans life!

Yep!
Sure enough.
Uh huh!

As my buddy said so well last week-

"No. What the intruder is saying is that breaking into a house for WHATEVER REASON was more valuable to THEM than THEIR LIFE!"

You don't wait to find out why they're breaking in, or to see if they're armed, and you'd be stupid to believe them if they told you it wasn't for a bad purpose. You protect your life, and that of your family.

ADVERTISEMENT