ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas-Pine Bluff has a bad softball team

I really enjoy college softball, but the one thing I hate is the ability for 1 pitcher to pitch just about every game.

I really enjoy college softball, but the one thing I hate is the ability for 1 pitcher to pitch just about every game.
And a good one can completely dominate a game as evidenced by this. I have watched UK on ESPN Plus and usually catch at least some of the world series.

And a good one can completely dominate a game as evidenced by this. I have watched UK on ESPN Plus and usually catch at least some of the world series.
I like it better than college baseball. Fast moving game.

But yes, one good pitcher can dominate a game and a season. In 2016 when Oklahoma won the World Series, Paige Parker pitched in 47 of their 65 games and she went 38-3.

Reactions: J_Dee
Any old timers remember The King and His Court?
I do. He pitched from 2nd base didn't he?

Anyone remember the Bourbons? I remember someone with the last name Gatti that was their home run hitter. I went and watched them a couple times.

Do you hate a SS or C or CF having the ability to play their position about every game? And this keeps the roster size needed down.

Any old timers remember The King and His Court?
Saw them play at old Covington Ballpark (Now under I-75) when I was about 10-12. Dad took me. Eddie Feigner pulled off his trick pitches - blindfolded, behind his back, from second base, etc. 3-3 game against some local semi-pro baseball players. K&HC had a P/C/1B/SS. They got thru their batting order quick.

I do. He pitched from 2nd base didn't he?

Anyone remember the Bourbons? I remember someone with the last name Gatti that was their home run hitter. I went and watched them a couple times.
I think that's where the Mister Gatti's Pizza chain came from.

A good HS game is fun too. Not that GD's school is good, but 9-6, 7-innings loss last night took 1.5 hour. She went 3-4 & pitched. Literally gave up 4 earned runs. D is pretty bad at a position to be named later.

Reactions: Glenn's take
Do you hate a SS or C or CF having the ability to play their position about every game? And this keeps the roster size needed down.
Imo, the SS, C or CF does not have near the impact on a game as a pitcher. It's probably my baseball thinking brain and my take was more around having 1 dominant pitcher can lead you to the title. I just can't wrap my mind around someone like Cat Osterman averaging 45 appearances and 21 shut outs a year.

A good HS game is fun too. Not that GD's school is good, but 9-6, 7-innings loss last night took 1.5 hour. She went 3-4 & pitched. Literally gave up 4 earned runs. D is pretty bad at a position to be named later.
Yep. Just a big fan of women's fast-pitch softball. When I worked at Oregon, I would go to the games. One of the most loyal followings of sports on campus. Great atmosphere.

Yep. Just a big fan of women's fast-pitch softball. When I worked at Oregon, I would go to the games. One of the most loyal followings of sports on campus. Great atmosphere.
Other nice thing is the game is so compact that it's easy to be close to everything going on - assuming crowd is less than 5K which is way normal. There are some really talented players out there. And there are additional attractions/eye candy.

The game is moving away from this scenario. Was commonplace on most teams. Now the schools are building staffs of 3-5, even with a dominant 1. They are starting to take care of the girls arms a bit better.

We just beat U6. We were down 4-2 in the 5th when I started watching. We scored 2 to tie it up. They scored in the top of the 7th and we scored to tie it in the bottom ro send it to extra innings. Won on a sac fly in the 9th. Good game from what I saw of it.

Imo, the SS, C or CF does not have near the impact on a game as a pitcher. It's probably my baseball thinking brain and my take was more around having 1 dominant pitcher can lead you to the title. I just can't wrap my mind around someone like Cat Osterman averaging 45 appearances and 21 shut outs a year.

Baseball can't do it anymore because the overhead throwing motion is too hard on the body. Long gone are the days of Nolan Ryan throwing 900 innings in a row. If baseball could start their dominant pitchers every single game, they would.

I watched Jenna Lilly grow up , my daughter was her age and a high level player and they ran the same circuit until Jenna started playing out west and for Bev Bandits

Back at 10u my kid played some with T Alvelo that went to Wash also . The C on that 10u team from our small river town went to LSU .

Baseball can't do it anymore because the overhead throwing motion is too hard on the body. Long gone are the days of Nolan Ryan throwing 900 innings in a row. If baseball could start their dominant pitchers every single game, they would.
I’ve heard the submarine pitch is more of a natural throwing motion

I’ve heard the submarine pitch is more of a natural throwing motion

It is. Obviously you can get more velocity overhead but it’s biomechanically harder on the body. A lot of college and professional pitchers have torn labrums.....asymptomatic, of course. Their body literally tears it through years of play and training so that they can get more external rotation....thus velocity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT