ADVERTISEMENT

Are you willing to wait for Donovan with this risk?

Are you willing to wait with this risk?

• I'd rather wait for Donovan at the cost having a bad roster next year

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • I'd rather purue other options to salvage some roster for next year

Votes: 18 25.4%

• Total voters

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
Donovan is obviously the next one. The NBA issue is bad timing to build a roster. Lets say Donovan gives Mitch a soft yes, but somehow wins his play in game.

Are you willing to wait for Donovan at the cost of a roster next year?

Is Donovan worth the coach to not have a roster next year?

Reactions: BigBlue1992
It's a tough question. Donovan could be the guy in the bigger picture and write off next year. But is it worth it?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Donovan is likely never to coach another college game. It's been a decade. I don't know why he's even being talked about. Why not see what Flip Saunders is up to while we're at it lol.

if it's a guaranteed yes then sure, but if we wait and he says no we are boned.
100%....if he signs an MOU (like Schertz did with SLU) that I will wait (and root against the Bulls).

If he wants to wait until the season is over before having serious discussions, then no way. Have to forget him and move on.

Donovan needs to be told either Larry Brown this thing or we're moving on.

Brown quit the NJ Nets job in 1983 with 6 regular season games left of a playoff bound team to take the Kansas job. It can be done. He was 42 at the time as well.

Donovan will be in his last HC job in Basketball if he took UK job. Who cares what NBA thinks of you for leaving and all that matters is what you do at UK.

Donovan needs to be told either Larry Brown this thing or we're moving on.

Brown quit the NJ Nets job in 1983 with 6 regular season games left of a playoff bound team to take the Kansas job. It can be done. He was 42 at the time as well.

Donovan will be in his last HC job in Basketball if he took UK job. Who cares what NBA thinks of you for leaving and all that matters is what you do at UK.
Beat me to it. This is exactly the situation. You either come now, or good luck bouncing around the NBA for a couple more years.

So strange that people don't want to wait. Get someone mediocre in here and Mitch will sit on him forever until he is forced to make a move. Why not risk one ho hum season to pretty much guarantee avoiding that tragedy? And it's not guaranteed to be a ho hum season either, even if the Bulls delay Donovan another three weeks. There's still the portal and there's still undecided kids from Cal's class and we still wouldn't be very much off the timeline when Cal gets serious about building a roster Every year, and LOL at people who really think the Bulls coach at Kentucky wouldn't move the needle for anyone who hadn't already signed an LOI (which these days is everyone)

Reactions: Ugoff and GoCats53
It's not up to me to be willing to wait or not.

I think Donovan was the riskiest of the top 3 candidates that were listed for a variety of reasons. When you combine those with the wait to be able to confirm him, it starts to get a little worrisome. And there's always the chance that you wait and then he has no interest anyway. And that would be the worst case scenario.

If I'm in charge - and nobody would want that - I would try and figure out through back channels if it's a possibility and maybe even try to agree in principal. If UK could know, it would help the strategy.

Short of knowing, I say we continue to pursue other candidates.

Reactions: GoCats53
It's not up to me to be willing to wait or not.

I think Donovan was the riskiest of the top 3 candidates that were listed for a variety of reasons. When you combine those with the wait to be able to confirm him, it starts to get a little worrisome. And there's always the chance that you wait and then he has no interest anyway. And that would be the worst case scenario.

If I'm in charge - and nobody would want that - I would try and figure out through back channels if it's a possibility and maybe even try to agree in principal. If UK could know, it would help the strategy.

Short of knowing, I say we continue to pursue other candidates.
I'd just cut right to it. You tell him it's right now or never. We have business to get done.

If it's a guaranteed yes then sure, but if we wait and he says no we are boned.
We're screwed either way for next year. Let next year go. Think bigger picture. Calipari tore this thing down, and is clever enough to come up with an escape plan he feels will continue doing more damage to the program that he felt got in the way of his real goals. We're going to hire a coach at some point, and we'll have to heal regardless.

Reactions: Doodah859 and Ugoff
Donovan is obviously the next one. The NBA issue is bad timing to build a roster. Lets say Donovan gives Mitch a soft yes, but somehow wins his play in game.

Are you willing to wait for Donovan at the cost of a roster next year?

Is Donovan worth the coach to not have a roster next year?
At this point if we have to go to tier B we aren’t winning a title anyways. One year of sucking isn’t much worse than an extra round of 32 exit.

Reactions: Ugoff
We're screwed either way for next year. Let next year go. Think bigger picture. Calipari tore this thing down, and is clever enough to come up with an escape plan he feels will continue doing more damage to the program that he felt got in the way of his real goals. We're going to hire a coach at some point, and we'll have to heal regardless.
Cal was never Kentucky, he just wanted the platform to say “see?” To the national landscape after failing time and time again at Memphis and umass.

My next stop would be Brad Steven’s (we are already doing the walk of shame) then Oats then Pearl and then Golden and then Donovan next week if it comes to It.

My next stop would be Brad Steven’s (we are already doing the walk of shame) then Oats then Pearl and then Golden and then Donovan next week if it comes to It.
Feelers already went out to him apparently and he turned it down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT