ADVERTISEMENT

Are you done with Stoops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is part of a very well known coaching family sitting in a great program as the DC. With all of that he had to solicit a HC job from Kentucky. Without us Stoops is a power 5 career assistant or a HC at a lower level. He is just not a good coach. Having said that he may be the best coach who would work for Mitch Barnhart. It is pointless worrying about the HC when Mitch is running things.

Somewhat surprised by your take. Can't disagree with most of it, but do you really think next year is a hangman year?
The guy deserves 2 more yrs imo.
I feel a lot like UKErik at this point. I've supported him and will continue to support the program regardless.

But the schedule was as weak as we will ever face this year. People point to seven wins but if before the season started someone said UT and UF would be 4 win teams and asked what our record would be, everyone would have said no less than 8 and likely 9 wins. This team under achieved this year and this isn't the same as a 7 win season against a historically dominant SEC with a good UGA, UF, UT, USC, MSU. When you combine that with not being able to beat FCS teams thoroughly and some real head scratching game management moments it leaves room for a lot of justifiable doubt (especially with the 3 blowout loses)

End of the day, next year is a make or break year. 3 or less wins and he's gone. 4 wins is the fence. 5-6 and things get hot but another year to prove it will follow. 7+ while limiting the blowouts and looking like an sec team against the cupcakes and 85% of the people will be pleased

You know how most people can watch other coaches of their teams and can tell their limits and where they are going to take that program in the long run by their product on the field on a weekly basis.

The same is with Coach Stoops and after year 5, the reality is coming to the forefront unless drastic improvements take place next year.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Stoops seems to prefer hiring defensive coordinators that he can push around instead of strong willed guys that will tell him to get out of their ear on game day. If he's gonna micromanage the defense, he needs to do a better job. Bottom line, the "D" was putrid this season.

I don’t think there is any evidence that Stoops hires people he can “push around instead of strong willed guys.” He has a former HC and a couple of former DCs on his staff because he wants to hear from people who know defense. These are not people he pushes around.

Stoops needs to take the blame for a defense that often looks like it cannot compete. I think the reason for that is two-fold, but I am no expert. (1) I think he did not have bodies in the trenches that could win the majority of the battles. He has said Carter needs to get bigger and stronger. I hope that Hoskins, Carter and Bohanna can build their bodies to compete, because I think they have skill. Maybe McCall can contribute next year and we can send Middleton out on a good note. (2) Stoops wants to be multiple, but not extreme. He is a conservative blitzer and prefers to get pressure from his base defense. That probably works in the Pac 12 and when you have FSU talent. But, at UK, you probably need to bring more creative looks more often. I think if we blitzed more, we would be better at it, because when we brought LBers this year, it seemed to not have a high percentage of success. We were probably better sending DBs.

So, I hope Stoops considers changing his approach. I don’t think this is about micromanaging. I suspect if there is one narrative that drives him crazy and makes him shake his head is the one that says failure happens because he gets too involved. His coaches and the coaching world seem to like him. Fans have fabricated that narrative and because it is repeated over and over again, people who learn their “facts” from message boards bite and repeat.

And, when that is not spouted, he evidently needs to get more involved. I hope he turns a deaf ear to the chatter.

False narrative: Stoops won’t be fired because of his buyout.

True narrative: only idiots and the insanely ignorant would fire Stoops.

Reactions: The-Hack
You know how most people can watch other coaches of their teams and can tell their limits and where they are going to take that program in the long run by their product on the field on a weekly basis.

The same is with Coach Stoops and after year 5, the reality is coming to the forefront unless drastic improvements take place next year.

Most fans cannot watch and tell. Most message board fans would have fired Brooks. Seriously, that is how stupid this gets. People actually think they know. They were clamoring and begging for Mitch to fire Brooks. If that does not make your head shake, nothing will. Fans are basically stupid and that is why we don’t run the show and will never run the show. We post inane remarks on message boards. We puff our hollow chests and pretend we know, but we are a bunch of plumbers, accountants, firemen, lawyers, pencil pushers, etc. FOR A REASON. Yet, we act on the weekend and evenings as if we passed on our true skill of coaching major college football for the jobs we have. LOL (I made myself laugh with the truth of that comment).

And, if you can tell who he is after year five, then apparently “drastic improvements” would be impossible. So, let’s not cop out by giving a scenario where you can be both right and right, regardless of what happens next year.

Rather, let’s wait and see. Thankfully, we have no choice.

Most fans cannot watch and tell. Most message board fans would have fired Brooks. Seriously, that is how stupid this gets. People actually think they know. They were clamoring and begging for Mitch to fire Brooks. If that does not make your head shake, nothing will. Fans are basically stupid and that is why we don’t run the show and will never run the show. We post inane remarks on message boards. We puff our hollow chests and pretend we know, but we are a bunch of plumbers, accountants, firemen, lawyers, pencil pushers, etc. FOR A REASON.
Someone here actually gets it. The truth hurts.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I’m done with the clown. UKErik pretty much nailed the majority of the reasons and it all boils down to - he’s not SEC HC material and I see no evidence that he ever will be.

We owe him too much money due to our incompetent AD so unless he miraculously resigns or someone is dumb enough to hire him (come on FSU - I know you got it in you), we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years.

Most fans cannot watch and tell. Most message board fans would have fired Brooks. Seriously, that is how stupid this gets. People actually think they know. They were clamoring and begging for Mitch to fire Brooks. If that does not make your head shake, nothing will. Fans are basically stupid and that is why we don’t run the show and will never run the show. We post inane remarks on message boards. We puff our hollow chests and pretend we know, but we are a bunch of plumbers, accountants, firemen, lawyers, pencil pushers, etc. FOR A REASON. Yet, we act on the weekend and evenings as if we passed on our true skill of coaching major college football for the jobs we have. LOL (I made myself laugh with the truth of that comment).

And, if you can tell who he is after year five, then apparently “drastic improvements” would be impossible. So, let’s not cop out by giving a scenario where you can be both right and right, regardless of what happens next year.

I want greater results than what Rich Brooks did here. I like Brooks, but he also didn't take us to a big season and had plenty of time to do it. Was really good up to the middle of one season, but faltered down the stretch. If our ceiling is Rich Brooks years then rent a house in Nashville because Music City is as good as it gets. That's typical Kentucky mindset though and why we accept mediocrity.

Or are you still giving him a chance?
Here's the dilema with Stoops - we are not the total laughing stock of college football with him. However, this past week when I wear my Kentucky shirts I still get laughed at and kidded about Kentucky football. People don't think winning 7 games is a very big deal - like people in Kentucky do. Just look how many coaches are being fired who win that many games year over year - they want more- UK really doesn't! But, we are getting laughed at by SEC schools with him - not because of him being a bad guy - I think he is one of the good guys. He's peaked in the SEC. You can give me crap all day long - but I doubt he ever wins more than he loses in the SEC and if he goes 4-4 again in the SEC, much less win a division - I will be surprised. The other SEC coaches love him - they know they have good odds against him when all things are equal - our problem - they will never be equal as long as he is on the sidelines as the head coach.

Stoops has proven ( how many times? to those who don't watch the games) that he is not a great in game coach. How many times has he cost us games with not the correct amount of players on the field, with leaving receivers wide open, and with trying to line up with inferior players or inferior coaching schemes and get his butt handed to him. I'm not talking about the wins either - look at those close wins, and yes some losses, to directional schools! It is pointed to how he has been able to win so many of those close games - and then they say he is such a great coach. Well, if your honest you have to look at the other side, and see how many games he has almost blown. Then all the close games against SEC schools he has blown. See Vanderbilt, Florida, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee and even Georgia last year as examples over the years.

For those who think he is going to get the FSU job, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can get a good buy on! We are stuck with him, so our only hope is that he actually does talk his brother out of retirement to come and in and consult with him on getting our program going! Mark Stoops is not capable of running a truly successful football program on his own - the job is to big for him. It is too big for most coaches. In reality how many good head coaches are there? 10, 20, 30, 40? Really not that many. Look we are the only program to EVER offer him a job as a head coach - let that sink in for a few minutes.

FSU is not going to consider him - that is just talk. He might get a free visit to see his old friends in Tallahassee, they probably think they owe him that courtesy and it can help him keep this job too. I live in Florida and I can tell you that the Florida State people, including people who were on the football staff, really loved him here. But he made his on fate on National TV too many times to be considered for a big job. The old saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" really applies here. Nothing against him personally - he does the best he can. At Kentucky that is all we ask of him - do the best you can - so Mitch and many people who don't really want to win championships, just don't want to be laughed at are happy! Everyone has to admit it is so much better than Joker's last year!

Go Big Blue!

You wouldn't recognize that evidence if it fell out of the sky and nailed you between the eyes.

Sorry, Ms. Stoops/Barnhart (can’t figure out which one you are married to) but the middle school blunders still being made, defensive/offensive rankings in year 5 against this crap schedule and the lack of control of his team says to the contrary.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
And, if you can tell who he is after year five, then apparently “drastic improvements” would be impossible. So, let’s not cop out by giving a scenario where you can be both right and right, regardless of what happens next year..

It’s not brain surgery.

Seeing the product this year, having the correct number of players on the field to cover receivers and not allow a team first downs on half of their plays ( 64 plays- 32 1st downs) would be a drastic improvement.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I want greater results than what Rich Brooks did here. I like Brooks, but he also didn't take us to a big season. Was really good up to the middle of one season, but faltered down the stretch. If our ceiling is Rich Brooks years then rent a house in Nashville because Music City is as good as it gets.
Interesting comparison. When Brooks took the UK job, he was 62 years old with prior experience as Oregon's head coach and as an NFL head coach. Brooks was an excellent tactical coach who couldn't recruit, or didn't have the necessary southeastern connections to get it done as a recruiter at the SEC level here. By contrast, Stoops has the connections and skills to recruit at a high level here, but does not yet have the experience and savvy to run a tight program in the same way Brooks did it. When Stoops took the UK head coaching job, he was 45 years old (17 years younger than Brooks was). Many of our fans don't seem to understand the significance of this difference in age and experience, or the likelihood that Stoops will learn like all young coaches and become more effective.

I don't have any confidence left, but he will obviously be our coach next year and presumably the following season at a bare minimum if it turns to failure. That being said, of course I want him to succeed. He just hasn't shown that he's willing to learn from his past rookie head coaching mistakes. If he had, I wouldn't be happy with the missed opportunities that transpired this season, but could at least sell myself that things will change next year.

I think our ceiling with Stoops is probably 7-8 wins. Yes, that is good for UK. Yes, we need to do that for a little while to build a foundation that can be built further upon. But at what point, if that is in fact what happens, do we as a fan base demand more. If we can get 7-8 consistently for several years at some point it is fair to demand 8-9 and then 9-10. A lot of factors play into when the time is right to make thst switch.

I really hope we are faced with that dilemma and not a backside to 4-5 win garbage seasons.

I’m all but done. I do want to see what happens in the bowl game but if he loses big then I’ll be done with him 100%. I think his ceiling is 7 wins. This year proved that.

I think our ceiling with Stoops is probably 7-8 wins. Yes, that is good for UK. Yes, we need to do that for a little while to build a foundation that can be built further upon. But at what point, if that is in fact what happens, do we as a fan base demand more. If we can get 7-8 consistently for several years at some point it is fair to demand 8-9 and then 9-10. A lot of factors play into when the time is right to make thst switch.

That's the way I see it. Walk, then run. We're barely up from a crawl right now. The Frank Beamer model at VT is a good one to use as a goal. Surely, long-suffering UKFB fans can handle 6-8 7-win seasons. Oh, the horror.

Besides, if Stoops is able to win at that clip at UK, we won't have to worry about making room for an upgrade coach as some school will take him from us with that level of sustained success at UK.

Sign me up. I still remember Joker too well.

I want Coach Stoops to keep growing and improve!! I am pulling hard for him to finally GET IT!!

I want him to:
-Stop playing so conservatively
-Be MORE attentive to the DETAILS of the game(covering WR's)
-Instill DISCIPLINE in EVERY aspect of his team
-Show that he can actually field a successful SEC Defense

I realize that the way his contract is structured we are stuck with him for the next 3 seasons no matter how I feel.

I am a rabid UK Football fan, however I know many now that have grown apathetic to the program. That apathy is the biggest detriment to UK Football.

I’m all but done. I do want to see what happens in the bowl game but if he loses big then I’ll be done with him 100%. I think his ceiling is 7 wins. This year proved that.
LOL! This year actually proved that Stoops could win 4 straight against South Carolina and take the program to back to back bowls, despite losing Boom, Badet, Mosier, Baker, Hayes and playing half the year with a wounded quarterback. I don't count myself in the pro-Stoops or the anti-Stoops camp. I am concerned about our team's poor play against MSU, Georgia, UL. I am concerned about our 2018 quarterbacks and receivers. But this isn't twiddly winks. Inheriting a 2-10 team and then building a roster in a small state like KY that can go to consecutive bowls is a lot harder than the amateurs here think. I remember very well when UK fans were determined to run off Rich Brooks. If Stoops leaves, you will get a rude awakening.

That's the way I see it. Walk, then run. We're barely up from a crawl right now. The Frank Beamer model at VT is a good one to use as a goal. Surely, long-suffering UKFB fans can handle 6-8 7-win seasons. Oh, the horror.

Besides, if Stoops is able to win at that clip at UK, we won't have to worry about making room for an upgrade coach as some school will take him from us with that level of sustained success at UK.

Sign me up. I still remember Joker too well.
Indeed. It's what I'm hoping for. Stoops has brought improvement and stability. It's his stubbornness, dismissivness of valid criticism, and seeming unwillingness to learn from his past mistakes that have me concerned. There is a clear lack of discipline on the team and that needs to be rectified. I just don't believe that a coach that is going to succeed loses the way we lost this year in their 5th season. It's not the number of losses that have me up in arms. We only won 7 last year and I was ecstatic. It's how we lost that throws up red flags.

LOL! This year actually proved that Stoops could win 4 straight against South Carolina and take the program to back to back bowls, despite losing Boom, Badet, Mosier, Baker, Hayes and playing half the year with a wounded quarterback. I don't count myself in the pro-Stoops or the anti-Stoops camp. I am concerned about our team's poor play against MSU, Georgia, UL. I am concerned about our 2018 quarterbacks and receivers. But this isn't twiddly winks. Inheriting a 2-10 team and then building a roster in a small state like KY that can go to consecutive bowls is a lot harder than the amateurs here think. I remember very well when UK fans were determined to run off Rich Brooks. If Stoops leaves, you will get a rude awakening.
It’s same mistakes in year 5 that really kills me. But keep dreaming. The was sec was garbage this year and could only get 7 wins. Think about that.

It’s same mistakes in year 5 that really kills me. But keep dreaming. The was sec was garbage this year and could only get 7 wins. Think about that.
Maybe you need to think about it. Have you ever coached or played college football?

Uncovered receivers (Twice) after timeouts. Where else does that happen? Yep, I’m done.

Uncovered receivers (Twice) after timeouts. Where else does that happen? Yep, I’m done.
To answer your question, it happens everywhere sooner or later, and it gives coaches headaches everywhere. I'm not defending it. But if our fans demand so much robotic perfection that they lose sight of the fact that players make mistakes everywhere, then they can't understand significance of back to back bowl seasons in a program that was 2-10 in 2012 and 2013. And if that is the case, then you will run off Stoops and then we will start all over again.

I'm not done, but I've lost some confidence for sure.

Defensively, Kentucky just isn't competitive against good offenses. The Cats were absolutely mauled this year by the 4-5 best offenses on the schedule. Worse than that, an offense like Tennessee's (who hadn't scored a touchdown in over a month before visiting UK) put up good numbers. Stoops seems to prefer hiring defensive coordinators that he can push around instead of strong willed guys that will tell him to get out of their ear on game day. If he's gonna micromanage the defense, he needs to do a better job. Bottom line, the "D" was putrid this season.

Offensively, what is UK's identity? Run Snell into a pile of people and hope he comes out on the other side?

Kentucky continues to make absolutely unheard of mistakes. We've talked about this for years now. Of course, this year's "WTF" moment was the Florida game when Kentucky TWICE failed to cover a receiver. That's something that just shouldn't happen.

We've had some players and parents publicly criticize the staff. Off hand, I recall a couple of parents (Hoak and Rose) and a few players as well (Bone, Bowden, Haynes).

Next year is gonna be tough. Unless Stoops puts together a respectable defense (and there's little evidence to support the thought that he will) and the offense develops a quarterback (something this staff has yet to do in five years), we're looking at a 4-5 win season. If that happens, what happens to the already shaky fan support? UK can no longer fill Commonwealth. Next year's schedule is considerably less appealing than this years. When Vandy comes calling next year, will we see another crowd of 20K?

I don't think Stoops is on the hot seat. UK owes him too much money. Next year is crucial for him though, and honestly, it looks to me like the train is about to come off the rails. Hope I'm wrong.

GBB!!!
Totally agree with every word. I'm not out yet but I'm close. I'm no where near as impressed as the Stoops fan boys that keep shouting 7 wins. Any one that can look at the situation objectively can see how much that was smoke and mirrors and not something sustainable. Stoops' refusal to hire quality assistants may be his undoing. I agree with the point that he prefers to surround himself with people that he can dominate.

The lack of discipline both on and off the field is also notable. This is without question the worst program management I have ever seen at UK. Previously Hal Mumme took that award but Stoops has passed that by a sizeable margin. Mumme at least could negate some of his quirkiness with offense. Stoops can't do the same with defense. There is little reason for optimism if Stoops continues to refuse to surround himself with the best assistants he can get.

Next year should have been the year we were building for. Most of our top players will be seniors or juniors. You should be comfortable prediction 9 or 10 wins with the roster we have. Instead I am waffling at predicting 6. I might even drop that to 3 or 4 by the end of spring. After next season we lose a majority of our productive players including Benny in all likelihood. It is absolutely critical that Stoops has the best year he's had at UK. If he fails to make a bowl I believe the death spiral has began.

Then you should know that football is a game of attrition played and coached by imperfect people. Be careful what you wish for.
I’m not saying you have to be perfect but there comes a time that you can’t make the same excuse. Especially the money he makes.

Those are some timely observations. 1st place, Stoops has 5 more guaranteed years on his UK contract. So fair weather fans can give up on him if they want. But a recent poll of UK football fans on SEC Country.com showed that 3/4 of UK fans like and approve of Stoops. He isn't going anywhere unless he gets hired away by Florida State. Stoops won't be at the top of Florida State's list, but this is a very odd year when a lot of P5 coaching jobs are open at once. It is unlikely but not impossible that Florida State might miss on their top targets. If that happened, Stoops has enough connections and name recognition there to possibly become a compromise type of candidate if they can't hire who they want. But let's say Stoops is ensconced at UK for the term of his contract, since that is most likely right now. In that case, Stoops has a bowl team roster to build on, with a number of returning impact players. But he also has about 5 major issues to address. He needs a quarterback. He needs a couple of impact receivers. He must get his defense straightened out, and that could mean some shuffling of coaching responsibilities. He must put out some small but potentially significant fires in his locker room. And he must fill in some voids in a recruiting class that has promise but also some current weaknesses.
you seem to like bringing up the '5 years remaining on contract' a lot. no one here had anything to do with that ridiculousness. so you're likely to hear a lot of bitching and see a lot of poor ticket sales for the next 5 yrs

It's amazing how some fans clutch the 7 win mark like some talisman to ward off evil spirits and refuse to look at any proof to the contrary. Yes, back-to-back 7 win seasons is great considering where we were under Joker, but if you guys can't see that Bobby took his foot off the gas in the final game, I don't know what to tell you.

We got beat 44-17 by an unranked UL team that lost to Boston College, and it could've been 60 if Petrino wanted it. Petrino, Smart, Mullen, Saban...nearly everyone wants Stoops to stay at Kentucky, including ALL the schools out there hiring head coaches.

The whole litany has been played out ad nauseum. We know about the uncovered receivers (I mean in EVERY game), the undisciplined behavior, the social media issues with no repercussions, the maddening tendency to take the air out of the ball with a lead which keeps other people in the game...on and on.

We also know on the other side are the fans who point to 7 wins as if that's all that matters. Sometimes you have to look at the stock market or housing market with an objective eye and realize it's about to crash. That's where I am with Mark Stoops. I like that he's made the program better, and I hope he finds a way to break through and fix the problems that plagued the team this year, but I have zero faith in him getting it done next year. That doesn't make me any less of a fan, it simply means I don't think he has what it takes.

The posters that are in total support of Stoops are admirable and they definitely have some valid points.

The thing is, that this is entertainment, and I'm not enjoying what I'm seeing.

You can't talk me into liking the product on the field.

The UofL game was SO HUMILIATING that it the sight of that blood letting will be burned into my brain forever.

Stoops will get a pass from me on a lot of things, but getting DESTROYED by good but not great Card team ON YOUR HOME FIELD and getting shut down by a terrible defense is inexcusable.

I'm not mad about it, and "on paper" Stoops deserves to retain his job for the foreseeable future, but I may not even watch the bowl game.

7 wins is great, but the losses this year were disgusting!

What choice do we have?

I see ZERO evidence that CMS thinks anything is wrong. He's not going to rise above his current level with that mindset.

Seems like UK is stuck with very small hope of improving.

I hope Stoops succeeds,because if he doesn’t,with our history of averaging 4.2 wins per year,that’s per year,then suddenly 7 wins are not enough,5 years later,no matter how they were won,then we have bigger problems than Tennessee! If having a winning season is that easy ,why is our history 4.2 wins per year? Stoops has to make the corrections necessary to eliminate the stupid game day gaffes,that are embarrassing to the UK football fans! This is due to the years of futility,embarrassment,and losing that has created the frustration and impatience that is evidenced in all these football rants on this site. Based on this background ,we better hope that Stoops is more Beamer than Derek Dooley,because it’s like a large ship turning in the right direction, it takes a steady, consistent,competent hand at the wheel. Let’s hope Stoops training and execution drastically improves, next year,but everybody wanting this improved performance,better also understand their basis for this impatience to win,and be realistic about what it takes to have a football program,they can be proud, and realistic progress that’s possible to achieve it.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
truer narrative: the contract he has was lunacy and those responsible should be fired
Really, how would you know? Have you ever been a college coach or athletics director? The contract Stoops has is what it takes to keep him here under the circumstances.

I would just like to see some hope. We are not good on either side of the football, and we play boring football on both sides. A 7 win ceiling will get you fired at any SEC school besides Vandy and UK. I'm not saying fire Stoops, just that we don't need to be content with our ceiling never being higher than it is now. Staying in the 5,6, and 7 win range should get you fired in today's SEC. The struggles with EMU, EKU and S. Miss is really concerning. Don't give me "they are bowl teams" , UT beat S. Miss 24-10 this year and 4 win Missouri beat EMU 61-21 last year. I hope we don't have to hire a new coach because I have zero faith in MB getting a good one in here.

Reactions: UKUGA
I have my doubts, but there is a foundation of improved talent that I hope he can transform into more successful football in 2018 & 2019.

The lack of a QB heading into the off-season and the defensive struggles give me a lot of reason for concern heading into year six, when the best we’ve done is 7-5 and the schedule arguably gets tougher going forward.

Calling fans stupid is stupid itself. Fans were begging for Brooks to be fired but to be fare the first 4 year he should have been. To Brooks credit he eventually righted the ship by getting rid of Hudson and moving away from the run first philosophy and turning the offense over to Joker's pass first philosophy. That's by the way is what fans were calling for in year one.

Even then Brooks' total record was similar to Bill Curry's. We only think of Brooks as a success because his best years were at the end not the beginning. Overall Brooks was an average coach. He was never anywhere near what people made him out to be. Overall Brooks' record is what gets you fired at every job in the SEC except Kentucky. Even Vandy expect more than that. And that's the problem. If we are going to remain in the SEC we need to start acting like an SEC team and stop pretending that competing when Central Valley state's JV team is the pinnacle of success. The problem is that we have set such low expectations over the years that even failed coaches have problems failing to meet them. UK's problem is not inflated expectations but dangerously too low expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT