ADVERTISEMENT

Are we even trying to get a backup for Leary???

Sep 20, 2015
I can't believe that we haven't picked up another QB (unless I completely missed something) in just in case Leary gets hurt. Heck, bring some successful FCS (or whatever it's called now) QB in and tell him he could has a chance to be the starter next year.

1. In doing so you probably see Sheron and/or Wade transfer out.
2. Sheron or Wade are decent (not great) back up QB options IMO.
3. Is there a really better QB in portal that would come here and not have a shot to start in 2023 that is above and beyond Sheron and Wade? I highly doubt there is.

I think we have a legit issue with who is QB1 in 2024....are Sheron and Wade going to be good enough? I question it....but another year of Coen can cultivate them and even if they aren't not ready, we can always go portal shopping again it seems while getting the HS QB in this class for the future.

Honestly, I'm shocked they don't have another RB.

Jefferson coming off a torn ACL
McClain was just bad last year
Only carrying 5 RB's in a system that we assume, is going to still be run heavy?

They do have 5 QB's on the roster, 4 of which have started high level games.

Reactions: secrules3
There has got to be multiple QB's out there that would be interested in a chance to run Coen's offense format least one year an possibly more.

I think Wade has no business in D1 and Sheron is the only QB with skills but he's also not ready.

I'm just not ready to hand the ball to Sheron and definitely not Wade if something happens to Leary.

Hopefully it doesn't happen and we don't have to worry about it until next year.

This can be a great year if Leary stays healthy but he has a history of injuries and none of the guys behind him can win SEC games. Sheron does not have the talent. I believe he had less than 100 yards passing against SCar until the last drive when they went prevent. I know that was his first start but he looked like a deer in headlights, took way too many sacks and his arm talent looked similar to Maxwell Smith IMO. Wade is not a QB and looked like a more raw version of Morgan Newton (who also was not a QB) than a competent backup. He was also much slower than we were told. And Hogan, I have no idea what his problem is but he should be better than the other two.

Again, if Leary stays healthy, this is a moot point. But we can't ignore his injury history. this is the same kinda mindset Cal had last year with two injury prone guards (Wheeler and Fredrick) and saying "nah, we're good." We see how that turned out.

3. Is there a really better QB in portal that would come here and not have a shot to start in 2023 that is above and beyond Sheron and Wade? I highly doubt there is.

I think we have a legit issue with who is QB1 in 2024....are Sheron and Wade going to be good enough? I question it....but another year of Coen can cultivate them and even if they aren't not ready, we can always go portal shopping again it seems while getting the HS QB in this class for the future.

Definitely #1. The portal era saw the end of the good backup QB. At all but the top of the top schools any good backup QB is in the portal. We have serviceable guys and that's about the best you can hope for at the moment.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
This can be a great year if Leary stays healthy but he has a history of injuries and none of the guys behind him can win SEC games. Sheron does not have the talent. I believe he had less than 100 yards passing against SCar until the last drive when they went prevent. I know that was his first start but he looked like a deer in headlights, took way too many sacks and his arm talent looked similar to Maxwell Smith IMO. Wade is not a QB and looked like a more raw version of Morgan Newton (who also was not a QB) than a competent backup. He was also much slower than we were told. And Hogan, I have no idea what his problem is but he should be better than the other two.

Again, if Leary stays healthy, this is a moot point. But we can't ignore his injury history. this is the same kinda mindset Cal had last year with two injury prone guards (Wheeler and Fredrick) and saying "nah, we're good." We see how that turned out.
Well Wheeler and Frederick were counted upon to be starters or play significant minutes off the bench.....Sheron/Wade are being counted upon in the case Leary goes down....otherwise they'll hardly play a snap all year barring mop up duty.

So I don't see the mindset of Stoops or Cal in preparing a roster as similar at all. Stoops got 2 tackles that will start in via portal that resulted in losing 2 current Oline kids. Also, got a starting RB who will compete with top ranked freshman at RB. I would imagine our starting NG and one of the CB spots could very well be a portal player as well.

Stoops is working to win for UK....I have no idea what in Hades Cal is trying to do other than let his high ranked kids play and do what they dang well want to do while winning for UK be damned.

QB - Isn't the staff really high on Wade? Of course, things may be different under Coen, but I remember hearing a lot of good things from the staff about Wade. But in any case, if Leary has a good year we'll likely be looking for another transfer next yr......and we'll have some good momentum on that front. Also, UK is trying hard to land Boley.

Jefferson coming off a torn ACL
McClain was just bad last year
Only carrying 5 RB's in a system that we assume, is going to still be run heavy?

They do have 5 QB's on the roster, 4 of which have started high level games.

Ray Davis is a proven 1,000 yd SEC rusher with lots of overall playing experience. McClain isn't a lead RB, but he wasn't too terrible in limited time last yr. He still averaged >4.7 yds/carry. And an ACL isn't the set back that it used to be.......not saying that he'll be perfect, perfect by the Fall but he's not a liability.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
I can't believe that we haven't picked up another QB
It's really hard to get a QB with any sort of talent to come in and be a lock to carrying a clipboard.
Hang in there I'm pretty sure they are looking.
Definitely #1. The portal era saw the end of the good backup QB.
Well stated.

It's easy to assume Leary is injury prone because he has experienced two season ending injuries but OTOH maybe it was just bad luck? Two is not a significant sample size. At any rate he's the franchise, if we lose him it really doesn't matter who the backup is, the season will simple be another mediocre one anyway.

QB - Isn't the staff really high on Wade? Of course, things may be different under Coen, but I remember hearing a lot of good things from the staff about Wade. But in any case, if Leary has a good year we'll likely be looking for another transfer next yr......and we'll have some good momentum on that front. Also, UK is trying hard to land Boley.

Ray Davis is a proven 1,000 yd SEC rusher with lots of overall playing experience. McClain isn't a lead RB, but he wasn't too terrible in limited time last yr. He still averaged >4.7 yds/carry. And an ACL isn't the set back that it used to be.......not saying that he'll be perfect, perfect by the Fall but he's not a liability.
I was about to say, Ray Davis says "Hello, over here!" If Jefferson can come back healthy with Davis and McClain. I thought Wilcox was also supposed to be the next Boom Williams. I think we will be OK in the backfield, especially if we have OL improvement.

IMO reading in-between his comments now & from fall 2021, Coen is a fan and sees something in Sheron. Betcha he is unquestionably QB2 for 2023.

Beyond that? Is he competing against Cutter Boley for 2024 starter? I bet he enrolls in Dec and goes through Spring drills. Or we go get a 1 yr stopgap portal guy for 2024, like Leary is this yr.

As others correctly pointed out, ain't no portal QB gonna come here to hold a clipboard. The reason they enter the portal is because they weren't starting at the school they were at!!

Still very possible a late graduate transfer pops up on the radar. Maybe someone who has 2 yrs left, we bring in for depth for 2023 and could be a credible starter for 2024.

Sumo-Karngbaye, NC St 2nd leading rusher of 2022, hurt like Leary most of 2nd half of the season. From New Jersey, looks like he has 2 yrs eligibility left. Good size 6' 210. Good reciever, had 4 catches for 93 yards against Texas Tech last year.

• Love
Reactions: bookerfan66

Not anymore.

I can't believe that we haven't picked up another QB (unless I completely missed something) in just in case Leary gets hurt. Heck, bring some successful FCS (or whatever it's called now) QB in and tell him he could has a chance to be the starter next year.
It's so tough now convincing a guy to come in to be a backup that would be any better than what we have. Guys want to come in with an opportunity to start, even if they are coming from FCS. You can probably gte a Deuce Hogan type of kid who was a back-up at a previous school, but you're most likely not going to get a starter on any level come in to play a back-up role.

One big thing is we have got to do a much better job of getting our 2nd string QB game action in blowout wins. Just looking at 2021, we beat NMSU 56-16 and Beau Allen didn't come in until we had a 40 point lead. We beat UL 52-21 and Beau Allen didn't come in until the score was 45-14 in the 4th quarter. We start this season with 4 games (3 guaranteed) that we should win handily. I know we have to get Leary lots of snaps, but we have to get our 2nd string meaningful snaps if the game opens up to a wide margin.

It's really tough to judge Wade by that bowl game. He was a true freshman with 0 snaps and no OC against a great defense.
Good observation! Plus if Coen is as good as we believe he is - Sheron or Wade could blossom as well. One thing for sure - the fans and more importantly Coach Stoops have a lot of faith and trust in Coach Coen. Coen will decide if we need another QB from the portal next year. Plus everyone realizes that the portal must have someone Coen and Stoops would believe could come in and be the guy. The portal has created a whole different world in college football. I think Kentucky has and will benefit from the portal because of Coach Stoops and his reputation and his accomplishments as a coach. Even though we are extremely high on Coach Stoops - I don't think most of us realize how much he really has accomplished here. I think Coach Brooks is the reason we have Coach Stoops. Coach Stoops is the reason we have the current coaching staff and our future looks so bright.

I doubt that we see Kentucky make the same football coaching mistakes it made in the past because UK has seen what it can and is doing in football. Kentucky realizes you have to do for football what it did for basketball for the last 75 years. We will probably never have the 100,000 seat football stadium now - the area of building those type stadiums is over.

But building and keeping the best training facilities and best living spaces for football is here to stay. Continuing to upgrade and maintain a great stadium is now primary - Kentucky has room for improvement in that area for sure - but I feel sure those things will continually be upgraded. Before Brooks became head coach we accepted the facilities we had, but Coach Brooks from almost day one was leading the charge to upgrade! We can say what we want about Barnhart - but he did pick Brooks and he listened to Coach Brooks. Coach Stoops benefited from that and the next coaches will owe a lot to Coach Stoops! If you look at the football program as a whole now compared to 10 years ago, before Stoops, it is hardly recognizable!

Go Big Blue!

One big thing is we have got to do a much better job of getting our 2nd string QB game action in blowout wins.
Totally understand wanting to see this....but its not going to happen. Hasn't happened in 10 yrs under Stoops. He believes in maxing out starting QB reps in live game action.

I fully completely expect Leary to take 99,99% of snaps our 1st 3 games against easy OOC opponents, that we should win in blowout fashion. Why, to fine tune his timing at a new school with new teammates and a new system.

And...is that wrong? Getting Leary seasoned and integrated in Sept is going to help us beat Florida, Mizzou, Miss St, Knoxville, S Carolina? Moreso than putting Wade and Sheron out there in the 4th to hand off 3 or 4 times up 40-17?

Totally understand wanting to see this....but its not going to happen. Hasn't happened in 10 yrs under Stoops. He believes in maxing out starting QB reps in live game action.

I fully completely expect Leary to take 99,99% of snaps our 1st 3 games against easy OOC opponents, that we should win in blowout fashion. Why, to fine tune his timing at a new school with new teammates and a new system.

And...is that wrong? Getting Leary seasoned and integrated in Sept is going to help us beat Florida, Mizzou, Miss St, Knoxville, S Carolina? Moreso than putting Wade and Sheron out there in the 4th to hand off 3 or 4 times up 40-17?
Maybe? But you have a seasoned quarterback that will has gone thru a spring practice and a summer and the fall pre-season. You have a quarterback that has confidence and has shown he can get the job done at another program. So, why would you take a chance on getting him hurt unnecessarily? Especially one who has had season ending injuries in the past.

I remember losing a quarterback a couple of years ago, when Stoops was already coach, in an early season game because of getting him some extra reps! This hurt our season very badly if you remember? The kid that hurt the QB horse collared him from behind trying to make a play - I'm sure he didn't meant to cause the injury - but he was trying to prove himself to his teams coach. Playing in blow out games works both ways - players on the losing team are trying to prove themselves and earn more playing time too!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Maybe? But you have a seasoned quarterback that will has gone thru a spring practice and a summer and the fall pre-season. You have a quarterback that has confidence and has shown he can get the job done at another program. So, why would you take a chance on getting him hurt unnecessarily? Especially one who has had season ending injuries in the past.

I remember losing a quarterback a couple of years ago, when Stoops was already coach, in an early season game because of getting him some extra reps! This hurt our season very badly if you remember? The kid that hurt the QB horse collared him from behind trying to make a play - I'm sure he didn't meant to cause the injury - but he was trying to prove himself to his teams coach. Playing in blow out games works both ways - players on the losing team are trying to prove themselves and earn more playing time too!

Go Big Blue!
And I don't think the horse collar was called

And I don't think the horse collar was called
I think you are correct on that! We have had some QB injuries that were devastating several years that Stoops has been here. Remove those injuries and the what if game would be crazy!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Wade did not look that good in last years bowl game, Sheron played last year in one game and did not look that bad.
Let's see. Wade was a true freshman without the benefit of a spring practice and spent most of his time running the scout team and was playing behind a poor OL and was missing our top RB while facing one of the nation's top defenses. Is it some sort of surprise that he struggled?

Would that be wrong? I'd say yes. For one thing, Leary is coming off a really bad injury to his throwing arm, if we get big leads, I'd pull him in a minute to rest that arm.

Secondly he's been injury prone. You know this going in, so you should put in a little more effort getting a backup ready to play in case he goes down.

I think you are correct on that! We have had some QB injuries that were devastating several years that Stoops has been here. Remove those injuries and the what if game would be crazy!

Go Big Blue!
While I agree that we did have some bad luck, Drew Barker's injury led to Stephen Johnson, who I loved. I'm not sure Barker would have been more successful. Also, in the Lynn Bowden year, I'm not sure Terry Wilson would have led us to a record better than 8-5. Last year is a big what if for me. With a 100% healthy Levis, who knows what we would have looked like....if Scang would have been a decent OC.

Let's see. Wade was a true freshman without the benefit of a spring practice and spent most of his time running the scout team and was playing behind a poor OL and was missing our top RB while facing one of the nation's top defenses. Is it some sort of surprise that he struggled?
All that is true...I guess I was taken back by how normal he looked athletically/running. He was billed as a dang good athlete that was just raw at QB. He didn't look all that much of a plus athlete....and he threw some dreadful passes no matter the Oline/OC. He just was very underwhelming in all aspects....I was hoping for at least a kid with some wheels.

Reactions: seccats04
Boys yer preaching to the choir, I'm not crazy about it, but based on the 10 yrs of Stoops coaching I'm just pointing out the likely reality. Leary will in fact take virtually every snap the 1st 3 weeks going into the road Vandy game. Its what we've seen since 2013. I'll be shocked if a 10 yr trend ends this ses.

Wade did not look that good in last years bowl game, Sheron played last year in one game and did not look that bad.
Sheron was night and day better than Wade based off of game performance. He actually looked like he could play if we needed him to. Wade? Zero reason to be on the field at this point.

Reactions: law1127
Didn’t UK get a QB from Dayton? Hamm

The expectation is that both Wade and Sheron will get better. That normally is what young players do. I would expect one of these two to clearly win the backup role and probably be the starting QB in 2024 and maybe 2025 while Boley gets himself ready to be an SEC caliber QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT