ADVERTISEMENT

Are we drinking the Koolaid?

Why are so many ranking us so low?
Why do the dudes on Field of 68 so adamantly say "No way man" at the proposal that UK could win it all?
Why do those same guys project us to be anywhere between a six to an eleven seed?

Are we missing something here? Are we just too young? Is our bevy of five star players just not that good?

And, if they are right, is this the final curtain for Calipari?

They make me nervous, these naysayers.
They are ranking us low because they know what our coach has done with so much talent the past 8 years ...a no brainer so to speak.

This team should have a 7' rim protecter on the floor for 40 mpg since we have 3 of them, so I expect a
slightly better defensive team than we've seen the past few years. As far as offense, this could be Cal's
best offensive team with everybody on the team but Thiero and Ugonna being decent to good
perimeter shooters and those two being able to score at the basket.

Well - Cal’s teams have either performed to expectations or grossly under-performed. Seriously, can anyone anyone remember a UK team that turned out to be better than expected?

I’m in that Ray Charles/Eastern Kentucky state-of-mind. Hit the road jack and don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Guess you are ok with UKs performance the past few seasons. I'm not. Calipari hasn't done jack in years and years.

Lmao at 6-11 seed. I have a feeling this team is gonna be damn good. Very good guards and some legit big men that can play, all of which bring different aspects to our roster. I know nobody really knows how good or bad we will be. I just think we have a good group this season.
Yeah that prediction is a little crazy.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The big difference is this is just Reeves 2nd year at Kentucky, with Cal, and with Cal's staff and some of the same teammates.. but, this is Roaches 4th year. If you ask me, there's a lot more room for growth for Reeves in COLLEGE than there is for Roach. Reevs has had his 20+ point games, he's also had his near FORTY pt games, hes been a leader, he has experience, and again, this is only his 2nd season at an elite program.

We've been over this, Proctor is in no way a sure fire future lottery pick. I explained to you that some mock drafts have him barely in the 1st round. There's a lot of ways to go before he's a top5 pick like some of you think.

And the end is ultimately my point, For whatever you think Roach is as a PG, this list was for SHOOTING GUARD, not GUARD. In no world is Roach a better SG, when that's not even the position he should be playing.. than Antonio Reeves, Kentucky's BEST player last year.

Edit: Roach being a 5* recruit kind of doesn't matter at this point. If you're a 5* recruit and still need 4 years of college ball, then you clearly were over ranked to some degree. Im not convinced that Roach is any better of a basketball player, or pro-prospect, than Reeves is, simply because of his ranking from 5 years ago. This isn't like comparing Reeves to a talent like Jayson Tatum.
I think Reeves could be a 18-20ppg scorer this year. It’s hard because Cal’s teams usually have depth and spread out the scoring load but the efficiency that he shot over the summer and the green light he will have this year I can see it.

Last edited:
But my problem with this is..

Doesn't Duke and their incoming freshman have to gel? Doesn't Kansas and their transfers plus outgoing jailhouse players have to learn to play together?

Unless a team is returning, and playing, 70% of their starting minutes, there should be some questions. Kansas lost nearly 50% of its starting minutes just from players I know left off the top of my head. Even duke lost what appears to be 60 of their 200 mpg (and will be further eaten up by unknown freshman).

Why is it than when Kentucky has incoming players, it's ALWAYS been "we have to wait and see" yet for the other big ESPN programs, every player is going to be a factor. Kentucky, Kansas and Duke are likely going to have 50% of their minutes come from new players.. so why is it Kentucky/Cal, the proven 1AD program, that is the one who has to prove their young rosters?
It doesn’t make sense either that Self continually proves they have good teams year after year. I don’t doubt Cal with legit young freshman though. Guys on Wagner, Bradshaw, and Edwards talent level almost always pan out. Sheppard has already proven to me that he’s not a typical fringe top 25 kid that may or may not play. He’s legit.

It doesn’t make sense either that Self continually proves they have good teams year after year. I don’t doubt Cal with legit young freshman though. Guys on Wagner, Bradshaw, and Edwards talent level almost always pan out. Sheppard has already proven to me that he’s not a typical fringe top 25 kid that may or may not play. He’s legit.

Self does seem to do better with less. But it's not like he's getting it done in the tournament, either. For as much as Cal's last 6 years have been completely throw-away, he STILL has overall better results than Kansas since 2010.

A lot of the so called analysts have bought into the weak class for freshman. Lumping the guys we have in the weak class is a mistake. We got some dang good players out of that overall weak class. The biggest question I have, how is the defense going to be. Offensively, we're going to be hard to guard. Lots of weapons and lots of assists. Physicality and defense are my 2 concerns from the freshman as well as Reeves. They hit top 20-30 defensively, its wide open for the Cats. I have no doubt we'll have a highly ranked offense.
I don’t even buy the weak class argument. I think it’s a class full of competitors.

Why do the dudes on Field of 68 so adamantly say "No way man" at the proposal that UK could win it all?
Why do those same guys project us to be anywhere between a six to an eleven seed?

Are we missing something here? Are we just too young? Is our bevy of five star players just not that good?

Did they predict pre-season that UConn would win it all? Or that San Diego State would make the final game? All I need to know.

Well - Cal’s teams have either performed to expectations or grossly under-performed. Seriously, can anyone anyone remember a UK team that turned out to be better than expected?
I can't. They've pretty much all been worse for years now.

People don't think trends be like they is, but they do.

I'm sure UK fans are drinking the kool-aid a bit, of course. That is in our nature. I'm still in a wait and see frame of mind. I'm glad we've got BigZ on the roster now, but there are still some question marks. And I agree with some others- recent history says you can't count on Kentucky to be there in the end. And there is no question, we have a lot of youth. We have some key veterans but ultimately how far this team goes is up to this freshman class. How will they handle the pressure? How will they handle the physicality of the SEC?

Now, the other side of this coin is that some of the prognosticators making their predictions just don't like UK and especially not Calipari. So, some of what they're saying may be wishful thinking. I don't think all of these mediocre predictions fit into that category, of course, but some do.

Now, I think having Reeves, Mitchell, and Thiero will win us some games while the freshmen are getting up to speed. But I think the ultimate question is this: how elite are these freshmen? I think there are a couple guys here, Edwards and Wagner, who can be elite this season. And then the question is Bradshaw. He could be another elite guy if he's healthy. Then there's a couple wild cards in Shepherd and Dillingham. And what will we get from the center position? There are several unknowns. I'm sure some will say that is the main reason for not ranking this group higher or predicting a high finish.

I'm wanting to see this team to start the season. I want to see them against Kansas in the United Center. Kansas is probably coming in as the #1 team, so a win would be a tall order. I just want to see how this team faces that adversity. To get the seed we want, you've got to beat some of these name opponents. We shall see. I do have high hopes, but my expectations aren't as high yet.

IDK ... maybe the pundits are the ones tired of drinking Cal's Kool-Aid. I think I agree with you on this year's team and think they may make some noise this year and could very well be legit contenders. Big Z will add some nice and needed cushion to the front court. I really am looking forward to watching this team develop, hopefully for a deep run in the tournament.

And, if they are right, is this the final curtain for Calipari?I

We should all be glad they have ranked us so low considering how wrong each of them have been in the past when they ranked us high. This will obviously be our year. Lol

Some of you are worrying about preseason rankings as if it impacts what happens in March. At least we won't have to worry about young players acting like they have won a national title before winning their first game. They will have to work for a top 5 ranking, what a novel concept.

I’d agree with a lot of that. We actually were really good in 22. Offensively especially. We did still lack the shot blocking we needed. But we were as good as anyone in the country. But The first round loss overshadows that. And deservingly so. But we crushed both the team that played In the title game. Last year we started pretty crappy. We definitely got better once Cason ran the point and Reeves took the starting spot (basically once Sahvir got injured). But we didn’t have the shot blocking/defense that Kentucky was use to having in years past. So we were good, but not great.

I have no idea how good this team will be. But we are as talented as we’ve been in a long time. Since at least the 17 team or even the 15 team. We have a really good backcourt. Maybe our best small forward we’ve had under Cal (Arguably), 3 7 footers. Which the only time we had that, Kentucky had its best defense ever under Cal. And we can go 10 deep with pretty solid players. I think we can withstand minor injuries. Yes, we are still young. So we’ll see. But having two seniors probably both starting helps. Not to Mention that Reeves in my opinion is one of the better 3 point shooters in the Cal era (at least top 10 in 15 seasons ). So overall I think we have as good of a shot as anyone. It could take some time to gel. We’ll definitely lose games. But I think we’ll really like this team
We had some good moments in the 2022 season but it wasn’t just the First Round upset .After beating Florida on 2/15 we finished out the season 5-4 . We faded hard at the end of the season.

I like being under the radar with the lineup we've got this year and the changes that appears to be made so far. Plus, we've got a schedule that will allow us to impress and play our way into a high national ranking, which I think we will. By the time the selection show airs, I cannot help but think that with this lineup, a little bit of luck along the way, and a good showing, we will be primed for a deep run with one of the number one seeds in the tournament. If not THE TOP number one seed in the tournament.

At any rate, I expect that by the time it's all said and done, that target is going to be awfully big on our young team's shoulders by the time the dance comes around. I hope the pressure doesn't become something too big for them, but they signed up to play for us, so ......

I'm quietly optimistic even with CCC at the helm. Surely to GOD the man can get this team to a final four. If not with this year's team, he never will again at this university (of that, I'm convinced) . Needless to say, a LOT of people's confidence and optimism has been severely damaged with the way he has run things the past several years.

Here's to hoping he can change the dynamic with what appears to be a great squad this year.

Go Big Blue !

Reactions: Samurai Cat

After the last few years, I am not ready to say much about a Calipari team until January at best.

If the talking head is under 40, any comments is about getting clicks instead of how they really feel. Most on internet lie for a living now.

I think the media doesn't believe we have transcendent freshmen. If we ended up having multiple guys who are top 5-10 picks in the draft, we will win 30+ games. If we don't, we'll win somewhere between 25-30.

There's still some unanswered questions in regards to our ceiling. From a pure talent perspective, we are in really good shape. NBADraft.net currently has Edwards and Bradshaw in the lottery, plus DJ and Big Z in the first round, and Reeves in the 2nd round. This isn't even considering Rob Dillingham, who many believe can break his way into the draft as well. We are loaded. Only Duke really comes close to us in terms of pro prospects on the roster.

The questions that remain are in the frontcourt. All we know right now is that we have Tre Mitchell. He's really good, but you need size and depth against some of the teams on our schedule.

We need to get production from at least one of Bradshaw, Big Z, or Ugonna. As long as one of those 3 pan out, and we take our usually slow and steady build towards March, we will be in the conversation.

I am a firm believer in our guard play this season. Something that really hasn't been there at this high a level since Fox/Monk IMO.

I am a firm believer in our guard play this season. Something that really hasn't been there at this high a level since Fox/Monk IMO.

I agree our guard play will be much-improved, but let's not overlook that 2019-2020 team. Quickley, Maxey and Hagans was arguably the best backcourt in America.

Cal has been ultra-resistant to change arrogantly thinking his offense and his process was the best way. It took a historic upset and the literal worst season in the school’s history to force him to change. The national guys haven’t caught up yet that Cal is FINALLY reluctantly modernizing the offense. He added a legit basketball strategic mind to the staff in Welch and apparently trusts him to help him with the area’s of coaching where he struggles (in-game adjustments). So the outside prognosticators are assuming Cal won’t change but there are encouraging signs he finally reluctantly is.
Has he though? Summer doesn't count, because he cut them loose last summer too and then tightened up like a bull's a** in fly season once games started to count.

I’m not crazy about kool-aid, so I’m not drinking it.

This team has to prove it on the court.

Am I excited about this season? I’m excited about every season.

I am curious to see if having better talent (on paper) than we have had in a long time makes a difference.

Will our elite Freshmen live up to expectations?

Is Cal still able to coach talent to win the big games?

We shall see.

Im not just drinking it DK, I’m chugging from the pitcher!

This team is going to be special.

Some of you are worrying about preseason rankings as if it impacts what happens in March. At least we won't have to worry about young players acting like they have won a national title before winning their first game. They will have to work for a top 5 ranking, what a novel concept.
The whole "do something significant before celebrating" is one of the problems the Reds had this season. On every single homerun you've got Elly De La Cruz inserting himself into video in the dugout of whoever actually hit the homerun. Someone needs to tell him to shut up and sit down, and act like a professional.

I believe we could be anywhere from really good to a drama-filled train wreck. Should be interesting.

The whole "do something significant before celebrating" is one of the problems the Reds had this season. On every single homerun you've got Elly De La Cruz inserting himself into video in the dugout of whoever actually hit the homerun. Someone needs to tell him to shut up and sit down, and act like a professional.
GET OFF MY LAWN!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT