ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Goodwin - Eberlein Drive TBT

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Surprise to see Archie Goodwin's name on the Eberlein Drive TBT roster. I wonder if La Familia asked him to join and come back to play?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Surprise to see Archie Goodwin's name on the Eberlein Drive TBT roster. I wonder if La Familia asked him to join and come back to play?
Goodwin has played for Eberlein Drive since 2021. They used to feature players from UK and other local schools before La Familia formed. Maybe he's just developed some loyalty with that squad instead of jumping over to a new team?

Goodwin personified Calipari’s one and done era. Selfish me-first gunner that played out of control chasing stats at the expense of team success. Reasonable minds may differ.
Whenever I see Goodwin’s name or it is mentioned I am always reminded of the game at Fayetteville in his native Arkansas. First time down the court they close lined him to the floor and the crowd gave the Razorback who did it a standing O. I lost all respect for that fan base that day.

Whenever I see Goodwin’s name or it is mentioned I am always reminded of the game at Fayetteville in his native Arkansas. First time down the court they close lined him to the floor and the crowd gave the Razorback who did it a standing O. I lost all respect for that fan base that day.
He pretty much clothes-lined his own UK team as well. Never seen a player put down his head and drive into traffic for absolutely no reason other than to try to pad his stats, like Archie Goodwin did.

Reactions: mattrudd and KFuqua
This is part of why I disagree with the notion that every fan base is the same or even that Kentucky has the most extreme fans. I would have a really hard time imagining this same thing happening if Jasper Johnson picked Alabama. I'm biased but that sort of behavior feels reserved for the Tennessees and Arkansas's of the world

Reactions: Fox2monk
Goodwin personified Calipari’s one and done era. Selfish me-first gunner that played out of control chasing stats at the expense of team success. Reasonable minds may differ.
To be fair, while Goodwin was a bit of a black hole with the ball but that team lacked offensive firepower. It had Archie and Julius Mays and Alex Poythress as their main offensive weapons. Nerlens was a beast on the defensive side. Others on that team were Kyle Wiltjer who should have never been here with Cal, Willie who wasn’t ready at that point, Ryan Harrow who we all know didn’t fit here, and Jarrod Polson along with Jon Hood.

Archie had to be selfish on that team.

To be fair, while Goodwin was a bit of a black hole with the ball but that team lacked offensive firepower. It had Archie and Julius Mays and Alex Poythress as their main offensive weapons. Nerlens was a beast on the defensive side. Others on that team were Kyle Wiltjer who should have never been here with Cal, Willie who wasn’t ready at that point, Ryan Harrow who we all know didn’t fit here, and Jarrod Polson along with Jon Hood.

Archie had to be selfish on that team.
Archie was one of the only decent players on squad. If they didn’t have him they would have won 10 games. He’s gets a bad rap for no reason. He always played hard.

Last edited:
I never had any respect for that fan base, things like that personify them.

Archie got a bad rap!! Cal had zero offense set up. Pass the ball around and get deep in shot clock let Archie drive!! What else could he do let the shot clock go off!!

Archie was one of the only decent players on squad. If they didn’t have him they would have won 10 games. He’s gets a bad rap for no reason. He always played hard.
Yea, and that guy ended up with the ball in his hand with 5 seconds on the shot clock. A lot of what he is criticized for was him trying to do something when others didn’t want to. I think he’s underrated in the Cal era, and definitely under-appreciated for what he had to do on that roster.

Yea, and that guy ended up with the ball in his hand with 5 seconds on the shot clock. A lot of what he is criticized for was him trying to do something when others didn’t want to. I think he’s underrated in the Cal era, and definitely under-appreciated for what he had to do on that roster.
Exactly, same problem we faced with Wheeler as a PG. we never went and did anything outside a prayer that year if anything broke down. Typical Cal stuff. If he didn’t people would say he was worse than Grady about looking for his shot.

He pretty much clothes-lined his own UK team as well. Never seen a player put down his head and drive into traffic for absolutely no reason other than to try to pad his stats, like Archie Goodwin did.
Do you know what a clothesline is ? How could he clothesline his own teammate if he has his head down driving the lane ? Also, Archie was not a good shooter from distance, that is why he drove the lane to the basket, it was his strength. Attacking the rim is how he scored his points. "For absolutely no reason" LOL, he did it to get to the rim.
Archie averaged 14.1 PPG / 4.6 RPG / 2.7 Assist, and shot shot 26% from 3, THAT is why he drove the ball so much, he couldn't shoot.

Why does EVERY thread about a former player have to turn into a bashing of a former player who played his off of while at UK ? It simply amazes me how that happens. Yes he made mistakes, he was a young freshman trying to help his team win. I will say this, Archie Goodwin did a hell of a lot more good for UK than he did bad. Our other guards on the team was Julius Mays and freaking Ryan Harrow, he HAD to make plays. He had to create, none of the other guards could. His supporting cast, Alex Poythress (freshman) had no handles, WCS (freshman) and Nerlens (freshman) was post guys. The team had NOBODY other Goodwin who could get to rim. Unless you wanted to try and see how Twanny Beckham, Jarrod Polson, or Jon Hood could do. Maybe you could have thrown Brian Long, Sam Malone, or Todd Lanter in there and see how they fared. Other than Archie, UK had NOONE who could create his own shot or drive it to the rim. He had to do too much, it is better to try and make mistakes, than simply stand around and toss the ball back and forth.

Archie averaged 14.1 PPG / 4.6 RPG / 2.7 Assist, and shot shot 26% from 3, THAT is why he drove the ball so much, he couldn't shoot.

… he was a young freshman
You omitted Archie’s 3.1 turnovers per game. Not only could he not shoot, Archie couldn’t/wouldn’t deliver the ball. No real need to mention his FT percentage for a dude who allegedly made his living driving to the basket and drawing fouls? Thankfully he only played 33 games in a UK uniform?

Young freshman as opposed to an old freshman? I watched those games. I don’t remember Goodwin overwhelmingly having the ball thrown to him with little to no time on the clock 🤣 Goodwin was me-first, and some might say 33 career games at UK doesn’t qualify for having skin in the game. Reasonable minds may differ.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KFuqua
You omitted Archie’s 3.1 turnovers per game. Not only could he not shoot, Archie couldn’t/wouldn’t deliver the ball. No real need to mention his FT percentage for a dude who allegedly made his living driving to the basket and drawing fouls? Thankfully he only played 33 games in a UK uniform? Young freshman as opposed to an old freshman? Goodwin was me-first, and some might say 33 career games at UK doesn’t qualify for having skin in the game. Reasonable minds may differ.
As has already been said and which you refuse to acknowledge is the majority of the time Archie had the ball late in the shot clock and had to try to make a play. The options he had to pass the ball to was limited as well. With time running out, that doesn't make for a very good situation. At this point, you just want to hate to hate because the facts are clearly that Archie did what he needed to do in order to help with a team with a poorly constructed roster, an injury to their best overall player, and a coach who refused to put those players in the best position to succeed.

Those are the facts as you see them. They sure aren't the facts the way I saw them that season. I saw one of the most selfish players that I've ever seen hold on to the ball, possession after possession, so he had the ball in his hands and "had" to take a bad shot.

Those are the facts as you see them. They sure aren't the facts the way I saw them that season. I saw one of the most selfish players that I've ever seen hold on to the ball, possession after possession, so he had the ball in his hands and "had" to take a bad shot.
Are you telling me that roster wasn't poorly constructed? Are you telling me that the coach put the team in the best position to succeed? Are you telling me that even up to this past season that our offense wasn't to let someone go make a play as the shot clock winded down? Are you telling me that team had options at playmaker besides Archie? Are you telling me the best player on that team didn't go down with an season ending injury? You are saying those aren't legit facts about that team. You can't be serious when you say those are "the facts as I see them". Good Lord!!! Stevie Wonder could see those facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT