ADVERTISEMENT

Appalachian State at Kentucky (Sun)

Should have gotten the sweep and they did. Good job.

Busy week ahead and a 15 inning game doesn’t help much. Hopefully can win four of five this week.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Anyone have an update about the players who collided in left field during the game? Thought I heard someone in the stands say he broke his arm.

Anyone have an update about the players who collided in left field during the game? Thought I heard someone in the stands say he broke his arm.

Probably won't get an official update until the coach's show, but my understanding is that Hill broke his arm. Shelby may just have some soreness and bruising, but I'm not sure.

Hill has had some really poor luck with injuries. If it is a broken arm it might be something like 6 weeks.

Probably won't get an official update until the coach's show, but my understanding is that Hill broke his arm. Shelby may just have some soreness and bruising, but I'm not sure.

Hill has had some really poor luck with injuries. If it is a broken arm it might be something like 6 weeks.

Can someone get a medical redshirt after already redshirting?

Can someone get a medical redshirt after already redshirting?

Well, technically, I believe that for Hill his first year was also a medical redshirt. I believe in 2018, prior to the season, he took a pitch off the wrist or hand and it messed up his hand and he had to have surgery. Problem wasn't recognized soon enough and he played a bit before being shut down for the season.

So, if he has to shut it down this season, and he may very well have to, then it would be for another medical reason. There is such thing as being granted a 6th year of eligibility, but they are fairly rare. I doubt that Hill would want to stick around for a 6th long and would be looking to go play professional baseball if he could.

In many ways, every year past your third year in a program can hurt your value as a professional, which can really derail a career. MLB teams favor their valuable picks over those that they didn't pay as much for, so the late round guys will not get as many opportunities as the early round picks that they paid a lot of money for.

Well, technically, I believe that for Hill his first year was also a medical redshirt. I believe in 2018, prior to the season, he took a pitch off the wrist or hand and it messed up his hand and he had to have surgery. Problem wasn't recognized soon enough and he played a bit before being shut down for the season.

So, if he has to shut it down this season, and he may very well have to, then it would be for another medical reason. There is such thing as being granted a 6th year of eligibility, but they are fairly rare. I doubt that Hill would want to stick around for a 6th long and would be looking to go play professional baseball if he could.

In many ways, every year past your third year in a program can hurt your value as a professional, which can really derail a career. MLB teams favor their valuable picks over those that they didn't pay as much for, so the late round guys will not get as many opportunities as the early round picks that they paid a lot of money for.

So he heads to the draft?

So he heads to the draft?

I don't know what he will do. He is draft eligible, but what he does will be up to him and his family. I believe that he is just a redshirt sophomore. So, regardless he will have two more years of eligibility after this season. As a pure guess, I would think he'd want to get a full season under his belt before declaring for the draft. Have more for the scouts to look at and to hopefully boost his draft stock.

To clarify, what I meant in my last post is that staying in school longer can have disadvantages to a pro-prospect. For instance, if you stay until you're senior year then you lose the bargaining chip of going back to school, so the team that drafts you can low-ball you and offer less money because they know you have few to no options. So, it is typically better for a player to go after their junior year.

Also, money spent on a player carries a ton of weight throughout the minors. The reason for that is the team doesn't want their larger investment to go to waste. So, let's say a 1st round pick hits .225 but a 20th round pick hits .250. Despite the better performance of the 20th round pick, the 1st round pick might get promoted over the 20th just because they were paid more money and are a bigger investment. So, the draft is hugely important due to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT