ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here with Type 2 diabetes?

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
My doctor is wanting me to go on Mounjaro. For years various doctors have been trying to get me to take Metformin, but I'm one of those people who has had difficulty dealing with that medication. I won't go into the details, but it definitely me homebound. So then my doctor had me go on Glipizide/Metformin, but she told me that it tends to stop working after five years or so. I'm now at the point where I've decided to rough it out and go on just the Metformin. Why? Because I've read about potential side effects from Mounjaro, such as pancreatitis or paralysis of the digestive system. Yikes. I'm wondering if any of you all are dealing with this and how you're treating it, and if you've gone on injections similar to the one my doctor wants me to take.

IMG_FB875EED6E92-1.jpg

My doctor is wanting me to go on Mounjaro. For years various doctors have been trying to get me to take Metformin, but I'm one of those people who has had difficulty dealing with that medication. I won't go into the details, but it definitely me homebound. So then my doctor had me go on Glipizide/Metformin, but she told me that it tends to stop working after five years or so. I'm now at the point where I've decided to rough it out and go on just the Metformin. Why? Because I've read about potential side effects from Mounjaro, such as pancreatitis or paralysis of the digestive system. Yikes. I'm wondering if any of you all are dealing with this and how you're treating it, and if you've gone on injections similar to the one my doctor wants me to take.
There are 35 million cases of Type II diabetes in the US. An additional 98 million Americans are prediabetic. Diabetes is a full-blown epidemic in America, and is having a staggering effect upon people’s health insurance premiums.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) declared diabetes an epidemic in 1994 – almost 30 years ago when there were less than 7 million cases of Type II – and yet today it has increased five-fold to 35 million, with almost 100 million more on the threshold of diabetes.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are throwing statistics and insensitive pictures at me, when all I asked for are personal experiences with treatment for it.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I am Type 2 diabetic. Have been for 30 plus years. Runs in my family and has caused early death in many family members. I take glimepride, metformin, and pioglitazone. My doc wanted me to try Jardiance or Ozempic but was to costly. My A1C has been over 8 until about a year ago when I became hard core on my eating and exercise after first meeting with my endocrinologist. No sweets and limited carbs. Protein about 120 grams a day, but this depends on your body weight. Lift weights 4 days per week and moderate walking about 25 minutes per day. Weight training is critical to maintaining or increasing muscle mass to burn more sugar. My wife has help tremendously by kicking my ass on days when I might skip a workout. My A1C is now 6.8, which is acceptable but should be lower.

If you don’t have an endocrinologist, this might be a good first step. I hope this helps.

Stop eating sugar / carbs and start walking or running. Exercise and diet is the best way to deal with this, might even overcome it. When you go to the grocery stay out of the center aisles - it’s all poison.

I’ll go on a bit of a rant here but the food pyramid is 100% upside down which I believe is the driving force behind the huge number or type II diabetes cases. If you actually look at the shit they put in our food it’s criminal.

A high fat - low or no carb diet/combined with 45 minutes to an hour of daily exercise and you’ll manage your condition just fine. You’ll pick up all the carbs you need from vegetables - complex carbs - to help break down the proteins and keep you on the reg.

I am Type 2 diabetic. Have been for 30 plus years. Runs in my family and has caused early death in many family members. I take glimepride, metformin, and pioglitazone. My doc wanted me to try Jardiance or Ozempic but was to costly. My A1C has been over 8 until about a year ago when I became hard core on my eating and exercise after first meeting with my endocrinologist. No sweets and limited carbs. Protein about 120 grams a day, but this depends on your body weight. Lift weights 4 days per week and moderate walking about 25 minutes per day. Weight training is critical to maintaining or increasing muscle mass to burn more sugar. My wife has help tremendously by kicking my ass on days when I might skip a workout. My A1C is now 6.8, which is acceptable but should be lower.

If you don’t have an endocrinologist, this might be a good first step. I hope this helps.
We have a doctor, but her office does have a pharmacist that specializes in diabetes. My A1C has been in the 7's and 8's. I wonder if it's my imagination that for the past day or so that I've been taking Metformin I've not felt nearly as tired as before. Even last night my sleep was very calm and I woke up energized. I didn't change anything else about my medications. This morning I felt very slightly jittery at work (maybe sugars?) so I ate some peanuts. Normally I am EXHAUSTED all the time. Sleeping for hours and hours. I'll eat a bowl of cereal in bed while looking at my phone, and almost immediately take a nap for an hour or so.

I'm happy that your A1C is down. I was also doing the device (I forget its name) that you stick to your arm, but it was $150 per month, just too expensive, but I ate A LOT better when I had the device.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I’ll go on a bit of a rant here but the food pyramid is 100% upside down which I believe is the driving force behind the huge number or type II diabetes cases. If you actually look at the shit they put in our food it’s criminal.
For a bit now I've warmed up to eating things that are on the store perimeter. Lots of fruits and veggies and chicken or turkey. I feel a lot better and have more energy. It's also helped a ton with my arthritis. Sugar kills my arthritis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT