ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Here Have An Electric Car?

Btw, just took the Model S 6 hours over to Waynesville, NC. We stop once for 35 minutes and ate sandwich and walked around mall area. Got back on the road and rocked it. Such a good car, if you don’t mind a 35-45 minute recharge on 400 Mile plus trips
Did you have to pay for that recharge?

Btw, just took the Model S 6 hours over to Waynesville, NC. We stop once for 35 minutes and ate sandwich and walked around mall area. Got back on the road and rocked it. Such a good car, if you don’t mind a 35-45 minute recharge on 400 Mile plus trips
Lots of good places to eat in Waynesville. The next time you're in the area, you should give Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack in Asheville a try. When we go back to East TN, we always make at least one trip back to Asheville for it.

Reactions: Kingseve1
Flip phones were available a long time after the Smart Phone showed up. You can still buy them today. EV adoption will be very similar. One technology is going to continue to advance, improve and become more popular, while the other is going to be the same, solid piece of tech it always was. Get what works for you.

My 87 year old mom had a fit when her picture tube model TV in her bedroom died and I brought over a new flat screen from Best Buy to replace it. I told her it was that or nothing because they didn't sell them anymore. She refused to use it, so I finally put it in a spare bedroom at home. I'm just glad the picture tube TV in her living room outlived her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockford
Tesla cut me off..fine. When he wanted back in traffic I wasn’t in a position to let him in. Pissed him off just the same. Must have been going close to 100 when he passed. Caught up to him about 10 miles down the road running probably 55. Had to chuckle because I guess he ran the battery down with the high speed.

I didn't buy my EV because I wanted to go green. There is a host of other reasons I did so.

This is something that interests me. I'd like to hear around why you bought one.....

-You don't have to go into great detail about the acceleration argument. I get that one......and it's one of the largest positives that an EV has over ICE currently.

And the power came from what?
7816451-7198714-ezgif-6-f44d10ead52a.gif

Ford EV tows small camper….85 miles lmaooooo.

In other news, Ford has made massive job cuts across the company. Says cuts are to focus on EVs.

What the hell is going on?

This is something that interests me. I'd like to hear around why you bought one.....

-You don't have to go into great detail about the acceleration argument. I get that one......and it's one of the largest positives that an EV has over ICE currently.
Not buying gas and far less maintenance were my main reasons.

Ford EV tows small camper….85 miles lmaooooo.

In other news, Ford has made massive job cuts across the company. Says cuts are to focus on EVs.

What the hell is going on?
Do you understand what a big deal this is? In 2013, the first EVs didn't have 85 miles of range and they were all basically subcompacts. Less than ten years later there are full-size pickups, with over 300 miles of range and can actually tow a camper 85 miles. If it was something more aerodynamic, like a flatbed trailer it could tow it significantly farther. This is the very first EV pickup truck, and it already has this level of capability. Where do you think they will be in the next five to ten years?

Not buying gas and far less maintenance were my main reasons.

Even though you're paying thousands more.......and the reliability is rubbish? I wouldn't think that would be a good trade off then spending 15' frequently to fill up the tank or 15' for an oil change? Is that really all it is?

And the power came from what?
Even though you're paying thousands more.......and the reliability is rubbish? I wouldn't think that would be a good trade off then spending 15' frequently to fill up the tank or 15' for an oil change? Is that really all it is?
Reliability rubbish on a model S? Not the case for me the in almost 2 years.

isn’t it 60-100 bucks to fill up a car these days?

I don’t think you ll get it, until you’re no longer going to gas stations regularly. It’s a hell of a convenience.

Last edited:
Reliability rubbish on a model S? Not the case for me the in almost 2 years.

isn’t it 60-100 bucks to fill up a car these days?

I don’t think you ll get it, until you’re no longer going to gas stations regularly. It’s a hell of a convenience.

Over a 1/3rd of Teslas in the UK have significant issues. Tesla reports that the reliability is almost as bad in the US.

a whopping 39 per cent of Teslas up to four years old had at least one fault, and one in 20 had had a serious no-start situation or a breakdown serious enough that it had to be taken off the road. April 2022

Musk has said that he is not concerned with the poor reliability right now. He'll fix the reliability when there is a Tesla in every driveway.

Consumer Reports "still" lists Tesla 27 out of 28 out of the manufacturers in reliability.

Consumer Reports named the Tesla Model S, the brand's current model, the greatest car its testers have ever driven in terms of overall performance—while it's not in the service station. But, because owner surveys have shown below-average reliability, it does not recommend purchasing one.

In their Model S test car, Consumer Reports' car testers encountered many faults and issues firsthand. Edmunds encountered similar issues with its test vehicle, having to replace the electric motor three times in 18 months.

According to J.D. Power, Tesla vehicles had an average of 176 mechanical faults per 100, compared to 121 for the industry. They ranked tesla 30th out of 33 brands featured in a J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Survey released last year. Jan 2022

What about routine maintenance?

According to RepairPal, the average annual Tesla maintenance expense is $832. In comparison, all car models sold in the United States cost an average of $652 each year. Depending on whatever services your Tesla requires. One may end yourself spending significantly more on yearly maintenance than the average vehicle owner.

As far as not going to the gas station. Sure, I don't know. I concede this. My only rebuttal I can make is that, I drove around my friend's Model 3 for about 2 hrs.......then spent the rest of the day in the back seat. It's about the same size and luxury level as a Lexus IS......maybe slightly larger like a BMW 3 series. You can buy a Lexus IS for about $39-40k.....and a BMW 3 series for low $40's. A Tesla Model 3 starts at $47.....and the cheapest models are almost impossible to find. My friends was mid $50's. Is the inconvenience of going to a gas station worse than saving $7,000-15,000? Cause no matter how much money you save on gas, you'll never make up that much difference.......not by a long shot.

Performance - Every car enthusiast outlet states that a comparable BMW or Audi beats the Tesla very easily with handling and cornering. I offer no retort to an EV's crazy acceleration. There is no comp to the throttle response and acceleration of an EV.

I completely acknowledge Tesla's customer service and owner satisfaction though. I've had numerous patients over the last few years talk about it.

-One of my patients said that he was driving down the road and the car sent him a message saying that something was broken......but still able to drive. It asked him if he wanted the car to call Tesla and schedule a service call. They set up a service call, bought him lunch while he waited for the car to be fixed.

-Another one of my patients said that he awoke one morning to a guy knocking on his front door. The guy said that he was there to pick up his car to be repaired. Apparently the car developed a significant issue, called Tesla and reported it, they arrived by the next morning with a nearly identical loaner vehicle, loaded his car onto to a flatbed, and hauled it away. While it was a lesser inconvenience, it's worth noting that he wasn't able to get his car back for about 8 wks because it took so long to fix.

I wish other manufacturers backed their products like Tesla does.

I can only speak of my own personal reasons. Anything "new" is somewhat a "shot in the dark" and I will be transparent in posting any adverse issues I have with my TESLA. I just turned over 10k miles and so far everything is fine.

So far, I have no regrets of purchasing my TESLA, but I promise if that changes I will post my experience.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
“TOKYO—Toyota Motor Corp.’s leader criticized what he described as excessive hype over electric vehicles, saying advocates failed to consider the carbon emitted by generating electricity and the costs of an EV transition…Toyoda said Japan would run out of electricity in the summer if all cars were running on electric power. The infrastructure needed to support a fleet consisting entirely of EVs would cost Japan between ¥14 trillion and ¥37 trillion, the equivalent of $135 billion to $358 billion, he said.

“When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?”

They ain't wrong. It's basically trading vehicle emissions for increased power plant emissions.

The article states that they can't find a battery for it, which is most likely why they are giving a ridiculous price. The dealer is trying to make them go away.

Been a big problem for any part for any ev. All the parts are for production so there are barely any for replacement. Any repair that takes the car off the road basically results in your insurance company totalling the car.

I can only speak of my own personal reasons. Anything "new" is somewhat a "shot in the dark" and I will be transparent in posting any adverse issues I have with my TESLA. I just turned over 10k miles and so far everything is fine.

So far, I have no regrets of purchasing my TESLA, but I promise if that changes I will post my experience.

I get it. I’ve done it myself when I bought a Jeep GC. Jeep is historically low in reliability as a brand. I knew this but still bought it. I just really wanted it. My point was that I was an informed consumer. I knew what I was getting into.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Tax credits are great, but I'm no financial guru, but 3 things
1. Don't you still have to buy the EV at the price that seems out of reach for the mod income folks
2. Is the 7k in addition to whatever the exemption is for a family, $10k or whatever it is? If it's not in addition, then I don't see them exceeding exemption.
3. Are the tax credits a one time thing?

Tax credits are great, but I'm no financial guru, but 3 things
1. Don't you still have to buy the EV at the price that seems out of reach for the mod income folks
2. Is the 7k in addition to whatever the exemption is for a family, $10k or whatever it is? If it's not in addition, then I don't see them exceeding exemption.
3. Are the tax credits a one time thing?
1. Yes, but I’m not sure what is defined as mod income yet. Some of these EVs by Honda are supposed to start around 25,000. So, a moderate income fella could finance the $25,000 car, and get the 4000 or $7000 tax credit back at tax time

2. The 7k or whatever credit it turns out to be, will be realized for most in April on their taxes. Ex: Instead, of owing Uncle Sam 1,000 in taxes, you would get a 6,000 refund (assuming a 7,000 credit EV purchase credit).

3. Dunno. I read something about 10 years

How do EV owners pay their gas/road tax share? Do you have to pay a surcharge when you register it each year?
Here in Virginia, fuel efficient and electric vehicles pay a highway usage fee on top of the annual registration since they buy less to no gas. The gas tax is what had been historically used to fund road maintenance and what not, so fuel efficient and EV owners hadn't really been paying their fair share towards that.

But they added a new option this year where you can have this thing that plugs into the OBD port that will track your mileage and you only pay an X amount of cents per mile

It's designed so that drivers who drive less than the average - which they claims is 11,600 - will pay less. But no one will pay more than whatever the full cost of the highway use fee is. It has an app where you can track the mileage it reports so you can verify it with the odometer on your car to make sure it's reporting back the correct mileage

I opted in to that program because I drive very little so it will definitely save me money. Like I got this car brand new like 6 years ago and I haven't even put 15K miles on it yet. Helps when for most of that time you've been located within 3 miles of your work. The job I had when i first got the car was less than a mile from the house, some days I would even walk to work! At my current job I am 6.3 miles away and it feels like a long ass commute lol.

Finally found an article with the numbers. Says highway usage fee was $109 for electrics and $19 for fuel-efficient vehicles. So the per mileage rate will be the cost of the fee divided by 11,600:

.0094 cents per mile for electric, or 106.42 miles for $1
.0016 cents per mile for fuel efficient, or 610.53 miles for 1$

So for me, at rounding up to the nearest 1000 miles, 15,000 miles in six years for an average of 2,500 miles, I'll only end up spending ~$4 on the highway usage fee instead of $19

If I had an electric, my highway usage fee on the same mileage - 2,500 a year - would drop to $24.50 compared to $109 for the full fee.

When I registered I had to put in a minimum of $15 to get the program started. Going to take me nearly 4 years to use all of it LOL

Congress just passed a $7,500 credit for new EVs in the "Inflation Reduction Act". Unfortunately, it appears that 70% of EVs currently sold in America will not qualify because they have too much foreign content (such as Chinese batteries). The tax credit does not apply to cars over $55,000 or Trucks/SUVs over $80,000 which eliminates several popular models that would otherwise qualify.

Last edited:
Just talked to someone whose neighbor bought their daughter an electric vehicle to go off to college. It was around a 2015 model. Paid 11 grand for the car and now it needs a new battery, $15,000.

Last edited:
Just talked to someone whose neighbor bought their daughter an electric vehicle to go off to college. It was around a 2015 model. Paid 11 grand for the car and now it needs a new battery, $15,000.
I hate to see people get ripped off but they should have had it checked or warrantied. I’m guessing it’s probably a Leaf and there’s a lot of first gens sitting around dying slowly. I thought of getting one and swapping a new gen battery myself when they were less than 5k. Now they’re selling for crazy money like every other used car. If they’re truly stuck with it, the best thing would be to find an independent shop willing to do the swap to a salvage newer gen battery. There are some changes to do but they aren’t bad and it’s a way better battery.

I realize this is a government report, but I could buy an EV by choice when this happens:

"In a report released this week, government researchers said they have found a way to charge electric car batteries up to 90 percent in just 10 minutes. The method is likely five years away from making its way into the market, scientists said, but would mark a fundamental shift.

“The goal is to get very, very close to [times] you would see at the gas pump,” said Eric Dufek, a lead author of the study and scientist at the Idaho National Laboratory, a research center run by the Department of Energy."

Today:

""With California’s power grid under strain due to extreme heat and high demand, the grid operator is asking residents to avoid charging their electric vehicles. This comes days after the state announced a plan to ban the sale of gas-powered cars by 2035."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT