ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever fly on Spirit Airlines?

Aug 27, 2022
Anyone fly them? I hear horror stories, but wonder if you have. I never have, but in the event I have no choice I wonder what to expect.

Once in an emergency when I got stuck in Tampa because my Southwest flight got canceled.

Never again. Just too rock bottom cheap for me. If you’re a young person that wants to get somewhere on the cheap it’s perfectly fine. I don’t have a stomach to be nickel and dimed.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
If I was going to fly any budget airline, it would be spirit. They have the “big” seats that you can buy or bid on. That are basically the size of first class seats on the non-budget airlines but without any of the perks you’d get with first class. They typically only have about 8 of those seats available.

With that said, I avoid budget airlines unless it is the only option I have.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Asked a friend who is a captain for a big airline about Spirit.

His response was "wear your seatbelt."

Hope this helps.

I flew them once from Baltimore to Orlando. The flight was fine. I fly Allegiant regularly as they have a regular flight from Chicago to Savannah that I take to visit family. For 2 hour or less direct flights, give me a seat, let me watch a movie on my phone and I have no issues flying cheap airlines. Anything over that and I'm flying a "normal" airline.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I've flown Avelo and Allegiant. Both got me where I was going cheaply enough that it was worth it to go there.

Unless you have some sort of status or fly upgraded, all airlines can be a huge pain in the ass. It just is what it is, so I don't see how a shitty airline like Spirit is significantly different. The major difference with them is is their customer service. If, god forbid, you actually need something out of the ordinary, they pretty much don't give AF.

I live in New Orleans and one of the things I have yet to take advantage of is their very extensive South American flight schedule. Columbia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, various islands........all kinds of flights for ~ $300.

Family flew into Vegas last yr. It was fine. No frills, cheap. I would upgrade brands if I were to fly further distances though.

I am going brutally honest about my few experiences on spirit, it has nothing to do with the airlines itself or its planes. I thought its planes were actually newer than the usual. The staff is always hit or miss but whatever - im there to get non-stop from point a to b; not be wooed by staff.

The people on the plane are the problem. For the price, there are tons of people on those planes that otherwise couldn't or shouldn't be. They have no idea how to axt or travel and have zero interest in being considerate of others. That includes people flying with multiple infant/small children they just thrust onto everyone else to entertain or keep in line. USUALLY these things can be overcome with boise cancelling headphones and a little more patience than normal.

Tldr Spirit itself isnt the problem. The people who fly spirit are the problem.

I am going brutally honest about my few experiences on spirit, it has nothing to do with the airlines itself or its planes. I thought its planes were actually newer than the usual. The staff is always hit or miss but whatever - im there to get non-stop from point a to b; not be wooed by staff.

The people on the plane are the problem. For the price, there are tons of people on those planes that otherwise couldn't or shouldn't be. They have no idea how to axt or travel and have zero interest in being considerate of others. That includes people flying with multiple infant/small children they just thrust onto everyone else to entertain or keep in line. USUALLY these things can be overcome with boise cancelling headphones and a little more patience than normal.

Tldr Spirit itself isnt the problem. The people who fly spirit are the problem.
I wish we could go back to the day where people actually dressed up to travel. My dad wouldn’t let me fly with him unless I was wearing a nice pants, nice shoes and a dress shirt. In many ways I wish it was 1960

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT