ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else cancel their fantasy football season this year?

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
We just scrapped it for this year and decided we'd pick it back up next year if things are "back to normal". We talked about adding some rules this year like having an injured reserve just for Covid. We just figured it would be guy with the least positive tests would be winner.

Still doing it, no money on the line this season. I'm just going with an auto draft and letting it ride.

Yeah the commish canceled one I was in a few months ago. Other one I decided to just not fool with. I really am concerned about whether the NFL is gonna be a wokebro show. Im not putting money down on something Im not going to keep up with. Im just in wait and see mode between that stuff, covid restrictions, what the tv broadcasts do, etc. Plus the above mentioned need for a deep roster with the arbitrary covid enforcement benchings....its just a total crapshoot making it even less worth fooling with. And thats just the honest truth for myself. Things go fine theres always FanDuel and the like if I want.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Both leagues I'm in are still happening, and we added the extra "Covid Only" IR slot.

Thought about not doing them since I'm not sure I can stomach watching the games, but remembered I'd bet on horse races I've never watched, so whatever.

Reactions: MrBlonde88
Both my leagues are still on, though we're drafting online and we're not requiring league fees unless the Super Bowl's played.

Reactions: WayneDougan
We're still going and I'm really surprised. Waaaay to much uncertainty IMO. And the way my luck goes in Fantasy, my whole team would get copied before playoffs.

Not to mention, being a commish sucks as is.. no way would I want to deal with it during covid.

Main one still on. If season cancels we all get money back. Though usually I’m in 4-6 leagues....not feeling those this yr.

im in a couple but will be really strange because I won’t be watching games. Just cant handle the garbage.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Was in 4 leagues. 2 for money, 2 for shits and gigs.

One money league was cancelled because commish won't do an online draft + guys in the league are older/have health issues and don't feel safe drafting in person. I've drafted for the other. League fees will be refunded or rolled over to next year if the Super Bowl isn't played.

Both free leagues are not happening. One commish doesn't think the season will happen and other is mad about politics.

I might join a rando yahoo or espn league just for fun, but I'm not as excited as I usually am ... and my one team sucks on paper. Picked 10th in a 12-team league.

All mine are still on. Added 3 extra COVID-only IR spots. If season gets cancelled before week 10 then everyone gets a refund. If cancelled after week 10 then money paid out based on current standings

My only league may not be a go this year. We're still trying to find 2 more people as several understandably dropped out this year. If anyone has an interest, please let me know. It is a very unique format thanks to the playoff format.

It's 10-team non-PPR with a normal snake draft at the beginning of the year. But, what is different is the regular season runs the full 17 weeks of the NFL season. At the end of that, the top 5 teams make the playoffs and then there is a supplemental playoff draft where you draft the players off the teams that didn't make the playoffs. And what I most love about this format is that you then just set your lineup once at the beginning of the NFL playoffs and let your guys ride, and points accumulate, all the way to the end of the Super Bowl. There are no weekly H2H matchups here against another team in your league for the playoffs. Most cumulative points at the end wins the league. It takes away from one key guy just having a terrible week and your season ends because of that.

Cost is $120 and league winner gets the bulk of the payout but some goes to second and third too. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I hope we can save our league this year!

Everybody who's drafted, how did your drafts go?

My main league's PPR, ten players. I had 8th pick.

WR: Michael Thomas, A.J. Green, Stefon Diggs, Diontae Johnson, Bryan Edwards
QB: Dak Prescott, Joe Burrow
RB: Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb, Kerryon Johnson, Chris Thompson, Devonta Freeman (I'm really hoping he signs with a team soon)
TE: Darren Waller, Hunter Henry
K: Justin Tucker
D: 49ers

They went ok, time will tell.

Derby City Dredds (12 team, .5 PPR, keeper league) 8th pick

119107490_10158606532130502_2294068551480673175_n.jpg

Dairy Sanders (12 team, PPR) 1st pick

119146258_10158606533545502_1906499030610875215_n.jpg

Koo Hand Luke (10 team, PPR) 2nd pick

119056656_10158606538930502_3609223697518665614_n.jpg

@Los Gatos

Got a similar team to your Yahoo Fantasy. Goedert, Lindsay, Sanders, Kyler, Hunter Henry.

Only my 2nd year in FFB, so still learning the ropes. 6th pick I grabbed M. Thomas because I was not taking a rookie RB on KC.. Then grabbed Tyreek Hill. I saw the potential in Lamar last year and rode him until 2nd place (1st place guy is a sports radio guy out of Boston.. mother effer is impossible to beat), so Kyler is my pick to do the same this year. Lamar and Mahomes went waaaaay too early IMO.

I'm weak on RBs, none of them wow me. But I'm excited for Will Fuller and Hunter Henry. Gonna try and grab that Robinson guy who just got named starter for Jax.

Reactions: Los Gatos
Mahomes and Jackson both went in the first round in every single one of my drafts this year. Not sure I've ever seen that happen with two QB's before?

I was way less prepared than usual for my drafts, so a coworker of mine gave me a printout of the Top 200 PPR players, ranked in order from top to bottom, from one of the pay sites he uses. I believe it's 4for4.com? Supposedly, they have a stellar record in their predictions, information, etc. Anyways, they had Mahomes listed second behind McCaffrey...even for PPR scoring. Jackson was also in the top 10 if I remember correctly.

I've never taken a QB in round 1, but in one league, took Mahomes with the 8th pick this year. I knew he wouldn't last until my second pick. Hopefully these guys at 4for4 are spot on. lol

Reactions: J_Dee
Mahomes and Jackson both went in the first round in every single one of my drafts this year. Not sure I've ever seen that happen with two QB's before?

I was way less prepared than usual for my drafts, so a coworker of mine gave me a printout of the Top 200 PPR players, ranked in order from top to bottom, from one of the pay sites he uses. I believe it's 4for4.com? Supposedly, they have a stellar record in their predictions, information, etc. Anyways, they had Mahomes listed second behind McCaffrey...even for PPR scoring. Jackson was also in the top 10 if I remember correctly.

I've never taken a QB in round 1, but in one league, took Mahomes with the 8th pick this year. I knew he wouldn't last until my second pick. Hopefully these guys at 4for4 are spot on. lol

WOW. I can't tell if I'm in a competent league or not, aside from a few really good guys, the rest are iffy.

I always heard you never take a QB early.. because there isn't much of a difference between the pack. But, Lamar was insane for me last year. He was sometimes getting like 30-40pts a week, finished with 421. Him and Mahomes were so good, that yeah, you could take them a bit early and be fine.

Still, it's easy to back yourself into a corner when drafting.. I had to reach to fill out my RB spots because I grabbed two WRs at the top (Thomas and Hill).. so if you DO grab for that early QB, gotta make sure you aren't stuck trying to find a tight end super late. I think a few guys screwed themselves doing that.

Edit: Team name came from driving the boat for two of these guy's Bachelor Parties last summer, and every 10 minutes someone quoting the movie Captain Philips.

Edit 2: I'm a Jets fan, hence reaching for Jets players. But I feel confident that Darnold, could, step his game up and be a good option for a backup QB. And Crowder is about his only decent option.

I'mDaCaptainNow
1.(6)Michael Thomas (NO - WR)
2.(15)Tyreek Hill (KC - WR)
3.(26)Miles Sanders (Phi - RB)
4.(35)Mark Andrews (Bal - TE)
5.(46)Melvin Gordon III (Den - RB)
6.(55)Kyler Murray (Ari - QB)
7.(66)J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB)
8.(75)Hunter Henry (LAC - TE)
9.(86)Jamison Crowder (NYJ - WR)
10.(95)Will Fuller V (Hou - WR)
11.(106)Phillip Lindsay (Den - RB)
12.(115)Harrison Butker (KC - K)
13.(126)Kansas City (KC - DEF)
14.(135)Sam Darnold (NYJ - QB)
15.(146)Dallas Goedert (Phi - TE)

Last edited:
Nope had to replace a couple of guys because they aren’t “watching football”. So I didn’t insult them by asking if they were playing.

Last edited:
I haven't played fantasy in years; I don't know why, but I don't enjoy it....at all. But I do think offenses will go crazy, and Tom Brady could have a record breaking season in both total yards and TD's. That said, my brother is continuing with his, but I know a couple of guys who say they aren't playing this year.

I haven't played fantasy in years; I don't know why, but I don't enjoy it....at all. But I do think offenses will go crazy, and Tom Brady could have a record breaking season in both total yards and TD's. That said, my brother is continuing with his, but I know a couple of guys who say they aren't playing this year.

We will find out soon. I feel the opposite. I think despite having better receivers, we're going to see Brady struggle to play in a system that hasn't been tweaked for him over the last 20 years. No Bill B, and no longer in the AFCE. He's going to get lit up, and lit up often. The Bill B shield is no longer there.

Reactions: J_Dee
We just scrapped it for this year and decided we'd pick it back up next year if things are "back to normal". We talked about adding some rules this year like having an injured reserve just for Covid. We just figured it would be guy with the least positive tests would be winner.

Of all years, why would you cancel fantasy football this year? What else are you going to do this winter when the 'rona is running wild like the Ultimate Warrior circa 1990 and all the news is about cases blowing up at this school, or this business across town is now shut down for good, etc. So you can spend more time with your family? Read a book? Try to improve and become a more well-rounded person? Ugh.

We will find out soon. I feel the opposite. I think despite having better receivers, we're going to see Brady struggle to play in a system that hasn't been tweaked for him over the last 20 years. No Bill B, and no longer in the AFCE. He's going to get lit up, and lit up often. The Bill B shield is no longer there.

I mean, Brady is 43. I don't care how much placentas mixed with HGH and fetus blood he's choking down every night, at some point it has to end, right? Every player hits that wall where they can't do it anymore. That Bucs offense does looks pretty legit though.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Edit: Team name came from driving the boat for two of these guy's Bachelor Parties last summer, and every 10 minutes someone quoting the movie Captain Philips.

Edit 2: I'm a Jets fan, hence reaching for Jets players. But I feel confident that Darnold, could, step his game up and be a good option for a backup QB. And Crowder is about his only decent option.

I'mDaCaptainNow
1.(6)Michael Thomas (NO - WR)
2.(15)Tyreek Hill (KC - WR)
3.(26)Miles Sanders (Phi - RB)
4.(35)Mark Andrews (Bal - TE)
5.(46)Melvin Gordon III (Den - RB)
6.(55)Kyler Murray (Ari - QB)
7.(66)J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB)
8.(75)Hunter Henry (LAC - TE)
9.(86)Jamison Crowder (NYJ - WR)
10.(95)Will Fuller V (Hou - WR)
11.(106)Phillip Lindsay (Den - RB)
12.(115)Harrison Butker (KC - K)
13.(126)Kansas City (KC - DEF)
14.(135)Sam Darnold (NYJ - QB)
15.(146)Dallas Goedert (Phi - TE)

Nice team. I think with Hopkins gone that if Will Fuller can stay healthy (HUGE if) he could be a huge breakout player this year. Such a big play threat and has always had a great connection with Watson. Mark Andrews is a stud but I have to think those TD numbers come down somewhat this year unless he's the new Gronk.

@It'saDoneDeal

That offense is nice for TB. I'm sure that's why he went there. All he has to do is just NOT throw 40 Ints like Winston did. NE was just run so well, they rarely made mistakes. And not just in protecting Brady or running routes. But special teams, defense, no penalties, they took advantage of everything. I do like Bowles as a DC there, and I think he will get them rolling this year and beyond.

Thanks. I had about 30 browsers tabs open during the draft..I saw Fuller towards the end, didn't even know much about him, but when I saw that he was the next recipient after D.Hopkins, I couldn't pass it up. Had Mark Andrews last year and he worked well for me. IIRC, though, he trailed off towards and the end. Was he injured? I doubled up on the Lindsay/MG3 RB situation for Denver.. didn't even realize it. Fantasy Football drafts are wild, you kind of walk away after like "wait, who the hell did I pick?"

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Drafting tonight.

Yours truly being the defending champ!
9YXE0H7.png

Share the roster when done. I'd look at Kyle Fuller for the above reasons, he slipped in ours. And in the last day, James Robinson was named starting RB for Jags since they cut Fournette. Not sure a lot of people are privy to this, or if the rankings were even updated. I have to imagine if he's at least DECENT, Robinson moves up a few dozen spots. In the last day he's jumped from being owned in 22% of leagues to 31%.. but a lot of leagues can't touch him until waivers are up (I can't grab him until tomorrow).

Had 2nd pick in 10-team league...

QB - Wilson
RB - Barkley (No. 2 overall)
RB - J. Taylor (my big breakout RB this season for the Colts)
WR - OBJ (held my nose, but was best available at that time)
WR - Lamb
TE - Gronk
FLX - Gordon III
D - Steelers

Bench is heavy on young potential star WRs like Jeudy and Ruggs. Maybe too reliant on them. Can't recall who my others were, but Roethlisberger is the backup QB.

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
My league is PPR and same deal Mahomes & Jackson both got picked first round. It was a snake draft and I had the 6th pick of 12. I got D Henry first pick then panicked and got 2 QB’s—Dak & Josh Allen. I am a newbie as well but man Mahomes & Jackson put up some big numbers in PPR leagues I had Jackson last year.

Crappy draft position but I’m fairly happy with my team right now. We will see how it goes.

@It'saDoneDeal

That offense is nice for TB. I'm sure that's why he went there. All he has to do is just NOT throw 40 Ints like Winston did. NE was just run so well, they rarely made mistakes. And not just in protecting Brady or running routes. But special teams, defense, no penalties, they took advantage of everything. I do like Bowles as a DC there, and I think he will get them rolling this year and beyond.

Thanks. I had about 30 browsers tabs open during the draft..I saw Fuller towards the end, didn't even know much about him, but when I saw that he was the next recipient after D.Hopkins, I couldn't pass it up. Had Mark Andrews last year and he worked well for me. IIRC, though, he trailed off towards and the end. Was he injured? I doubled up on the Lindsay/MG3 RB situation for Denver.. didn't even realize it. Fantasy Football drafts are wild, you kind of walk away after like "wait, who the hell did I pick?"

Yeah, it's tough because while it's obviously good to have a game plan going into a draft and try to stick with it, you also don't want to ignore what's going on and miss out on getting great value on a guy who has fallen even if it's at a position you weren't expecting to pick.

I normally hold off on picking WRs high just because I always talk myself into the idea that I can find those guys later and I always have sleeper WRs I'm big on, but going into the third round of my draft last night Davante Adams was sitting there and I just felt he was too good of a value to pass up on. And then my strategy is out the window and I'm kind of scrambling from there. But I dig ESPN's setup and being able to have a pool of players I can put into a queue between picks to make it a lot easier when my pick comes back up.

But yeah, I think that's a pretty damn solid team you've got there FWIW.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Had 2nd pick in 10-team league...

QB - Wilson
RB - Barkley (No. 2 overall)
RB - J. Taylor (my big breakout RB this season for the Colts)
WR - OBJ (held my nose, but was best available at that time)
WR - Lamb
TE - Gronk
FLX - Gordon III
D - Steelers

Bench is heavy on young potential star WRs like Jeudy and Ruggs. Maybe too reliant on them. Can't recall who my others were, but Roethlisberger is the backup QB.

Nice. I figure between Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs that one of those guys will hit in a pretty significant way and be a solid #2 WR.

Taylor was such a force at Wisconsin, but I worry about young RBs who have fumbling issues. And Marlon Mack is such a damn good player too. I can see Taylor not doing much the first half of the season, Mack getting dinged up at some point, and then Taylor coming on in a huge way and becoming their bell cow from there.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
My 20-year money keeper league decided not to play for money this year due to the uncertainty of players getting sick or opting out. But we are still playing for pride. We added 3 COVID-IR spots.

I love the league but I have found it hard to get into the season, probably because of the lack of preseason games and just the general amount of info coming out of training camps. I didn't do a lot of prep work for my draft. Hopefully once the season starts, I'll be more into it. We lost one manager and have a few others who aren't happy with pro sports in general, but we are hanging on.

My money pick-em by the spread league is still on. Commish said if there wasn't enough participants, he would cancel. Had over 100 in it last year and so far this season 70 have joined. Guess not too many are affected by the wokeness.

They went ok, time will tell.

Derby City Dredds (12 team, .5 PPR, keeper league) 8th pick

119107490_10158606532130502_2294068551480673175_n.jpg

Dairy Sanders (12 team, PPR) 1st pick

119146258_10158606533545502_1906499030610875215_n.jpg

Koo Hand Luke (10 team, PPR) 2nd pick

119056656_10158606538930502_3609223697518665614_n.jpg

What scrubs are you drafting with who let you get all four of Barkley, Sanders, Julio, DJ Moore in a 10 team league??

Reactions: jameslee32
What scrubs are you drafting with who let you get all four of Barkley, Sanders, Julio, DJ Moore in a 10 team league??

Honestly...I don't know? It's my first year in the league.

I joined because my brother in law invited me, and they still needed one more team to fill out the league.

It's a 10 team league, all the rosters look pretty good at this point.

Uh oh... Ozigbo on IR with Hammy injury. Another colts RB has COVID lol. No Fournette.

JAMES ROBINSON SZN LFG.

Share the roster when done. I'd look at Kyle Fuller for the above reasons, he slipped in ours. And in the last day, James Robinson was named starting RB for Jags since they cut Fournette. Not sure a lot of people are privy to this, or if the rankings were even updated. I have to imagine if he's at least DECENT, Robinson moves up a few dozen spots. In the last day he's jumped from being owned in 22% of leagues to 31%.. but a lot of leagues can't touch him until waivers are up (I can't grab him until tomorrow).
I picked last of course. Need more Tyler's.

Michael Thomas- Keeper
Kenyan Drake
Miles Sanders (Q)
AJ Brown (Q)
Tyler Lockett
Devin Singletary
Tyler Boyd
Tom Brady
Will Fuller
Kerryon Johnson
Tyler Higbee
Patriots