ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone around the Lexington area that plays Golf?

Dreklie

Junior
Oct 6, 2014
Nicholasville
Just picked it up last year so basically I suck (usually shoot near 100 give or take 5 or so) but looking for others who are interested in playing once a week, I have only played Widows Watch (or maybe it's called Thorobred golf course now I'm not sure lol, the one in Nicholasville off harrodsburg road) High Point and Peninsula, open to other courses though if I can find a few good guys to play with.

Just picked it up last year so basically I suck (usually shoot near 100 give or take 5 or so) but looking for others who are interested in playing once a week, I have only played Widows Watch (or maybe it's called Thorobred golf course now I'm not sure lol, the one in Nicholasville off harrodsburg road) High Point and Peninsula, open to other courses though if I can find a few good guys to play with.
The average golf score for men is 96, so if you shoot 95-105, you are average. I get it I guess that we all suck, but don't sell yourself short. The question is, do you play it down or do you roll it? Because that will get you 7-10 strokes a round.

The average golf score for men is 96, so if you shoot 95-105, you are average. I get it I guess that we all suck, but don't sell yourself short. The question is, do you play it down or do you roll it? Because that will get you 7-10 strokes a round.
Kinda new here also. Played some not so serious golf 20 plus years ago. Now trying to get serious about it at 61. My question is what’s playing down or rolling? Could sure use 7-10 strokes lol.

Kinda new here also. Played some not so serious golf 20 plus years ago. Now trying to get serious about it at 61. My question is what’s playing down or rolling? Could sure use 7-10 strokes lol.
Basically, do you improve your lie or play it as it is.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Live in Lex and have played more this year than in quite a while. Mostly play the city courses and surrounding counties (Scott, Woodford & Anderson). Use to love playing Widows Watch and Peninsula. Years ago I had a group than played every Sunday morning.

Almost no one plays it down unless it's competitive golf (real tournament play) or practicing for competitive golf.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I play everything as it lies from the blue tees (1 from the furthest) I don't foot wedge or take gimmes. I'm way too competitive for that. Well yea that may be average in a year of playing but, I've always wanted to be better than average no matter what it is lol

Live in Lex and have played more this year than in quite a while. Mostly play the city courses and surrounding counties (Scott, Woodford & Anderson). Use to love playing Widows Watch and Peninsula. Years ago I had a group than played every Sunday morning.

Almost no one plays it down unless it's competitive golf (real tournament play) or practicing for competitive golf.
I love peninsula but man those greens are BRUTAL for someone who is new to golf lol, I almost always 3 putt there :\, got my first ever birdie there on hole #1, have only had 3, High Point #1 and Widows Watch #9.

Last edited:
Reactions: bertfan31
I love peninsula but man those greens are BRUTAL for someone who is new to golf lol, I almost always 3 putt there :\, got my first ever birdie there on hole #1, have only had 3, High Point #1 and Widows Watch #9.
Peninsula is a Pete Dye designed course so the greens are going to be tricky. They used to keep the tall rough high when it was first open. I mean the 3-4 foot stuff.

Haven't played much in the last year at all

The bull, houston oaks, cherry blossom

City course I'll play lakeside

If I only want to spend 10 dollars I'll play Southwind

Depends on the golf course. I play on lot of low end golf courses, so the fairways are not good, plus players do not fill in their divots. So I move it in my fairway only, we also move it off of roots. People over 60 do t need a broken hand just to “play it down”. I do play in my interclub matches where we play it down. Depends on if you are playing golf for enjoyment, or for competition.

Playing it down always means you always play the back tees? If not, why not?

Depends on the golf course. I play on lot of low end golf courses, so the fairways are not good, plus players do not fill in their divots. So I move it in my fairway only, we also move it off of roots. People over 60 do t need a broken hand just to “play it down”. I do play in my interclub matches where we play it down. Depends on if you are playing golf for enjoyment, or for competition.

Playing it down always means you always play the back tees? If not, why not?

I played Old Bridge in Danville this week and that's a pretty rough golf course, had never been there before lol.

Nothing wrong with some "lift, clean and place" as that was sometimes the norm in tourney golf back in my high school days. Also play from the tees that suit your game which for high handicaps should be the middle to front tees.

Even if you're above average switching the tees mixes things up a bit and can change the course layout dramatically. It makes for a fun time.

Played Longview today. Greens are in the best shape they have ever been.

I might be mistaken but it seems like a lot of posts in this thread are just bullshit or some of you don't know much about golf.

Live in Louisville and play mostly at Seneca. Shot 95 the other day which is great for me. Recently got fitted now just waiting for a good deal to buy some used big bertha irons.

Reactions: Get Bucket$

I might be mistaken but it seems like a lot of posts in this thread are just bullshit or some of you don't know much about golf.
I played Longview today with 3 buddies, we had a blast and the course was pretty nice! Was my first time there, I live in Nicholasville so I got them coming here this week to play either Widows Watch (or whatever they call it now) or Highpoint

Reactions: Elbridge
I played Longview today with 3 buddies, we had a blast and the course was pretty nice! Was my first time there, I live in Nicholasville so I got them coming here this week to play either Widows Watch (or whatever they call it now) or Highpoint
That’s a cool avatar if it’s you. That’s a fun age with the kid.

If I was in the area, I would definitely hit you up and play a round. If you just took up golf, keep it fun, go and just enjoy the game. At my age (53), I do not like playing "competitive" golf, it sometimes takes the enjoyment out of it. Like the one poster said, I will move if on a tree root, close to a cart path etc. But never take it lay it out in the fairway from the rough or closer to the hole. Play by the rules, but do not get too strict on yourself, and last but not least, breath in, breath out when you duff one or skull one. It is just a game and if you get mad at yourself and / or throw clubs, you are not enjoying the GAME. If ever around BG, hit me up, will try to get free and play a round.

The best thing is just try and improve from the last time out, work on what your biggest weaknesses are and ENJOY the round. Also, a good putter and clubs are a must, but you do not have to break the bank trying to look like "Insert favorite golfer here", I still hit Callaway X14's and original Big Bertha driver I have had for 20 years. I do have new shafts and grips as I am older now, shafts are very important (That is what she said), and a fairly new putter. Most of the time when I play, it is with my 3 sons, or at least one of them, I do not keep score as they will try and get too competitive for my liking. When it happens, I tend to make them play strictly by the rules and ball down. It turns out to not be fun and strictly a competition.

If I may ask, what was your tee time?

, I've always wanted to be better than average no matter what it is lol
And you've got that going for you, which is nice. Be careful with what you dream for.

We have a pool and a pond here. The pond would be good for most.

DM @drainthatub he likes to show up for a good game.

• Haha
We must have been right behind you. We were a twosome that teed off behind 4 guys in their 30s around 10:30
yep, I was the taller one in the dark blue shorts with a blue and pink striped shirt on that said something to you guys before teeing off at 10, the guys had hit 3 balls and were 100 yards off the tee lmao, small world

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT