ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else think Capel has been using this Bam info against us?

Some posts make no sense unless there is some context.

I don't think so.

Plus, the recruiting shift started in 2015. Bam didn't commit and play here until 2016.

I also don't think anybody really knew what was about to come out unless they know they're guilty and are waiting for it to surface.

Now, do I think Capel might have been making things up and telling people we were going to get hit without naming players or having any knowledge of specifics? It wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
and how would this be a hit? Worst case I see is vacating wins from that season.
I don't see any future issues unless they can prove that Calipari or anyone from UK was part of this (which I don't see) ... pretty much just sounds like an agent trying to get in with top players so they would sign with him after college.

We on the board (and everyone else who is a fan of college basketball for that matter) know so little of what goes on at that level that nothing should surprise us.This scandal and what ever comes from it should tell us all how far removed we are from the world these players and coaches live in.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and Aike
I'm sure they have some players on that team that have done the same thing if you dig far enough into it. So I doubt Capel was behind this. The funny thing is its been going on forever and everyone acts surprised about it and I've been following recruiting since the nineties.

I don't think so.

Plus, the recruiting shift started in 2015. Bam didn't commit and play here until 2016.

I also don't think anybody really knew what was about to come out unless they know they're guilty and are waiting for it to surface.

Now, do I think Capel might have been making things up and telling people we were going to get hit without naming players or having any knowledge of specifics? It wouldn't surprise me.

We got Bam/Fox/Monk in one class. You'll never convince me that wasn't an awesome haul or that anything had shifted at that point.

In the past few months, though, Duke has managed to snag every 5 star wing on the planet. Do people really think it's unreasonable that people at the Coach K/Coach Cal level had hints of what was in this report before Forde/Thamel/the rest of us?

Maybe not. Maybe all the coaches were blindsided today. But I kind of doubt it.

Thinking Capel had a whiff of this and has been spreading it is just speculation, of course. Still trying to put the pieces together of what would influence Zion to join that crowd in Durham.

Really when has Cal ever really signed big time wings at Kentucky outside of MKG and Knox, hopefully also add Keldon Johnson to that list. Capel left Oklahoma on probation and had to vacate wins over Tiny Gallon..

Thanks dude.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Calsthebomb
Yeah I don't know what's so crazy about it.

1. Everyone assumes/knows Capel talks trash.
2. Andy Miller's connection to this investigation hasn't been a secret.
3. It was widely rumored during their recruitment that Bam/Smith were a package deal to NC St.

The speculative part is that Capel would have known about Miller's role in that deal (likely), and that Capel would have used that negatively against us.

"When the rest of this FBI stuff comes out UK is going to get hit over Bam, and do you really want to be a part of that?"

Wouldn't have to be much more than that. And obviously, as I've already said, this is just speculation. But this cloud has been hanging over the whole season, and I think it's fair to wonder who has known how much and for how long.

Reactions: tomcurren
I'm sure they have some players on that team that have done the same thing if you dig far enough into it. So I doubt Capel was behind this. The funny thing is its been going on forever and everyone acts surprised about it and I've been following recruiting since the nineties.

I never hinted at Capel being "behind" anything. Only that if some coaches have known about this for a while, they might have been using it against us. Shocking thought process, I know.

Time to cut back some on the duke obsession when you think they not only knew what UK coaches didn't about their own players, but have known for a long time.

There was at least one poster on this board from North Carolina who knew about the Bam/NC State stuff in great detail.

And I would have to say that at this point none of us know how long this info has been floating around. We only know that the general public was made aware today. Is that a fair statement?

Reactions: jace2012
This story is about only Andy Miller. There are several other agents still to be investigated. Don't you think the FBI let this evidence out to scare others to start talking. Just speculating. Probably just this one NBA agent doing this.

Yeah I don't know what's so crazy about it.

1. Everyone assumes/knows Capel talks trash.
2. Andy Miller's connection to this investigation hasn't been a secret.
3. It was widely rumored during their recruitment that Bam/Smith were a package deal to NC St.

The speculative part is that Capel would have known about Miller's role in that deal (likely), and that Capel would have used that negatively against us.

"When the rest of this FBI stuff comes out UK is going to get hit over Bam, and do you really want to be a part of that?"

Wouldn't have to be much more than that. And obviously, as I've already said, this is just speculation. But this cloud has been hanging over the whole season, and I think it's fair to wonder who has known how much and for how long.
FBI investigations are methodical and often slow, there is 0% chance every D1 coach has not known about “pay to play” and has known for over a year the FBI is involved. It is extremely probable that they, coaches, know considerably more than we do about this and who will be hit by the dropped shoes (no pun intended).
The OP is likely very much on target.

Reactions: Aike
and how would this be a hit? Worst case I see is vacating wins from that season.
I don't see any future issues unless they can prove that Calipari or anyone from UK was part of this (which I don't see) ... pretty much just sounds like an agent trying to get in with top players so they would sign with him after college.

I didn't say it would be a hit. I said that someone negatively recruiting against us could characterize it as an incoming hit.

If this is true and some wins are vacated, I hope KU loses some wins as well. Would hate to lose the all time wins lead because of this. That would actually sting a bit, in my opinion. Luckily, looks like KU was involved also and I'd be shocked if I didn't see more KU player involvement in the future considering Adidas's involvement in this investigation. Just hope we keep that wins lead when all is said and done.

Beisner put this out there ... sure would be a nice scenario:

"Heard interesting scenario for money labeled "Bam": It went to someone who Dawkins believed could influence, not Bam or his mother. Family never knew or saw money. Bam never signed. Bad loan"

We on the board (and everyone else who is a fan of college basketball for that matter) know so little of what goes on at that level that nothing should surprise us.This scandal and what ever comes from it should tell us all how far removed we are from the world these players and coaches live in.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. What do we think Capel says when he negatively recruits?

"Cal's mean."

"He yells a lot."

If Capel (or anyone else) had advance knowledge of this, I would assume they were using it against us. But I don't know, maybe nobody knew the details except for Thamel and Forde...

Beisner put this out there ... sure would be a nice scenario:

"Heard interesting scenario for money labeled "Bam": It went to someone who Dawkins believed could influence, not Bam or his mother. Family never knew or saw money. Bam never signed. Bad loan"

It's a nice thought. Does anyone remember the poster who was so adamant about Bam going to NC State?

He indicated that it would be a tough situation for Bam to get away from, and I always took that as knowledge of money changing hands at some level.

After Bam flipped the poster came back, admitted he was wrong, and was glad we got Bam.

But the way the whole thing went down, I never doubted the story. Doubt it even less today.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. What do we think Capel says when he negatively recruits?

"Cal's mean."

"He yells a lot."

If Capel (or anyone else) had advance knowledge of this, I would assume they were using it against us. But I don't know, maybe nobody knew the details except for Thamel and Forde...
Maybe Thamel and Forde should be working for the FBI since they seem to know so much....geez they are like Holmes and Watson or The Lone Ranger and Tonto:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT