ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else concerned that we only have three OT heading into spring practice ?

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Marques Cox, Courtland Ford and Malachi Wood by my count.
I read on sites everyday about schools getting transfers from other high major schools and we seem to be striking out on kids from even lower division schools.
Is it NIL money ? I think there is one more portal window ?

Hell yeah that is a looking massive issue

I’d argue we’re even worse at CB….we have no viable field CB …unless a Nicholson can play day one

Marques Cox, Courtland Ford and Malachi Wood by my count.
I read on sites everyday about schools getting transfers from other high major schools and we seem to be striking out on kids from even lower division schools.
Is it NIL money ? I think there is one more portal window ?

Marques Cox
Courtland Ford
Nik Hall
Dylan Ray
Malachi Wood

I count five OTs.

I doubt Hall will make a spring appearance as he is rehabbing. But his surgery is being reported as successful. It is not unusual for football and baseball players to have this surgery. Hall should be back at some point. Ray started at LG this year but is capable of playing OT.

So it's okay for now, but I and others have been beating the drum for recruitment of more OTs. I have also framed recruitment of SEC caliber OTs as a litmus test for our OL Coach Zach Yenser.

Marques Cox
Courtland Ford
Nik Hall
Dylan Ray
Malachi Wood

I count five OTs.

I doubt Hall will make a spring appearance as he is rehabbing. But his surgery is being reported as successful. It is not unusual for football and baseball players to have this surgery. Hall should be back at some point. Ray started at LG this year but is capable of playing OT.

So it's okay for now, but I and others have been beating the drum for recruitment of more OTs. I have also framed recruitment of SEC caliber OTs as a litmus test for our OL Coach Zach Yenser.
I hope Yenser can pass that test

Reactions: secrules3
then I guess you weren't logging in to this site last month? We got 2 guys from Georgia, 1 from Ohio, 1 from Florida, 1 from Texas a&m? Hello?
You are correct. I did not make myself clear. We have done well in the portal my concern was the OT position
Sorry about that. I am old.

Reactions: Crazycat68
Experienced OTs in the portal are the unicorns. Lots of QBs out there that have some experience looking for an opportunity to show what they can do, WR are everywhere, RBs are common. But when you get to OT, and DT for that matter who are experienced and can play, everyone wants them including their current school. If their top priority is NIL better be ready to do some serious bidding. Sadly every season more and more schools are getting into the bidding wars. ATM was pretty much on their own the first year, but now they have Miami, FSU, AU, UTn, UTx, Oregon, USC, OM all in pretty deep. There is no telling how much OM spent on their defense since the season ended, and its the reason their RB hit the portal.

We are returning our 2023 starting LT. Portal guys don't come to a new team to be a backup. O tackles for 4 yrs in a row of the portal era are the most scarce but most needed position by everybody.

I'm not super concerned about our T depth right now. Sure would be nice if in March Stoops announced Nick Hall fully recovered and ready to roll.

Has Hall been ruled out for the Spring?
It has been reported that he might not play again due to his undisclosed injury. It wasn't an official announcement, but heard several different UKFB insiders mention it.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Yes. I have concerns. You raise a good question about depth, quality or otherwise.

Didn't Dylan Ray play some OT this year? Might be an 'emergency only' option, but still.

He played rt in the bowl game after flax was out and ford came up gimpy.

I know I praise Ray on here alot but he deserves it. Quite the value for a walk on transfer. Apparently tackle is his position but he was our best guard last season. That's a high value piece for sure and he has a lot of room to improve. He has NFL potential if he keeps improving

Reactions: entropy13
Bowles took a handful of RT snaps in the bowl, is he done?

Concern certainly for the health of Christman/Hall. Then is the praise of Wood justified or just coach-
speak? If those three can have a positive outcome it will help the cause.

Bowles took a handful of RT snaps in the bowl, is he done?

Concern certainly for the health of Christman/Hall. Then is the praise of Wood justified or just coach-
speak? If those three can have a positive outcome it will help the cause.
I DO NOT listen to the coaches. I go to the spring game each year and make my own judgement. Wood may never take a snap but I can tell you he looks different than the other guys on the roster. His arms are soooo long. He needed weight but Yenser must do something with him. We don’t get guys built like that. Fearby was the other that stood out to me this spring. What an athletic build. He was everywhere in the bowl. I’m looking for a big year from him.

Reactions: catben
then I guess you weren't logging in to this site last month? We got 2 guys from Georgia, 1 from Ohio, 1 from Florida, 1 from Texas a&m? Hello?
Don't forget a bad ass WR from North Texas. He was a top WR in the portal. Macklin is better than the kid from A&M, yeah I said it.
But it's not near over. We will get a couple OTs and CBs in the portal. Long way to go, we was even shorter in the WR department, now, pretry deep.

Well, at the very least, I hope Stoops and Marrow are concerned about it. It certainly feels like we're too thin at OT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT