ADVERTISEMENT

Any non gun owners thinking about buying one?

This is one I do not have. Yet

safe_image.php
Compensate much

• Haha
Reactions: nom de plume
Berretta Nano fits all your requirements. Nice sized little 9mm.

Got my wife a Beretta 9mm Nano. She loves it. Fits well in her hand. She thought my Springfield Armory 45 was going to fly out of her hand when she shot it and it scared her to death.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftp000
Emails going through the church group of a relative. Green Hills, Belle Meade, East Nashville to be specific. "Supposed" to be info from gov source. Something "supposed" to happen in next few days, warning people to get food, water and possible loss of power. No info on why other than that's what antifa does.

Well any time you can report about emails from a relative's church group that reference "information" that is supposed to be from a government source and which is otherwise unsupported, you should absolutely pass that on!

Thank berniecarbo. You have done an important thing today.

Technology has really made it easier for firearms owners to secure their weapons from children while also keeping them readily accessible in case they are rapidly needed. But as Morg pointed out early in the thread, the best means of making your firearms "compatible" in the home with children is to take away the mystery that surrounds them. Curiosity is something all children have. So we must embrace that. If we simply tell kids that they are under no circumstances allowed to touch firearms yet never follow that up with further instruction or information, we are only doing a disservice because their curiosity is going to make them that much more fascinated by the mysterious forbidden object dad keeps on the top shelf in the closet.

My own dad did a good job with me by teaching me early on in life (and often) about firearms. Instead of forbidding me from touching his firearms, he encouraged me explore the topic while under close supervision. I was only instructed to never be around or handle any firearms when he wasn't present. If I ever wanted to look at, handle or even take a firearm out to shoot, he told me all I needed to do was ask. He actually purchased a single shot Winchester 410 gauge shotgun and some type of Remington bolt action .22 rifle for me when I was very young and allowed me to learn on those as I got old enough to use them. He also took me hunting from a pretty early age and that allowed me to see firsthand what firearms could do in the real world. That squirrel we'd blast out of a hickory tree didn't come back to life like cartoon characters. The finality of death quickly sunk in.

By the time I was 10 years old I pretty much knew as much about firearms as most adults. Because I was thoroughly familiar with them, my curiosity was satisfied and I never felt any need to sneak around and mess with them in dad's absence. And because I saw what they could do, I never played around with them. But I guarantee that if he had simply tried to keep me away from them rather than introducing me to them, I would have found a way to satisfy that curiosity on my own. It is what kids do. And that is where most people get into real trouble.

That said, I would suggest using layers of security. Handguns should be secured either on the person or in something like a biometric safe mounted up high where it isn't so accessible to little ones. It might not be your own kid that finds a gun and plays with it. It might be one his/her friends that isn't trained or knowledgeable about guns and gun safety. Stuff like this is just basic common sense. But it can prevent a tragedy.

While I don't personally have any children in my home right at this moment, I still work to secure them as if I did, because you never know when someone might stop by and bring children with them. I don't want something just laying around that anyone could find and pick up. My carry gun in just a simple, relatively inexpensive Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I carry it religiously. When I wake up and get dressed I put on the holstered pistol and it stays on until I get undressed that night. That way that gun is 100% under my direct control and observation any time it is out of the safe. It is small, light, reliable and shoots as well for me as larger duty sized handguns do.

Likewise, I keep all of my other guns unloaded and locked away in the safe when I'm not at home. Other home defense guns are kept ready in biometric pistol safes at strategic points around the home (identical Glock 9mm pistols with Streamlight TLR-1 lights attached and a spare magazine for a reload) that can be quickly accessed in an emergency. I also keep a BCM AR-15 (M4 style) carbine loaded and at the ready in a small rifle size biometric safe in my master bedroom. I will choose this over my handguns if time permits because a high velocity 5.56mm rifle round is a much more capable fight stopper than a handgun and easier to shoot accurately. It is equipped with a Surefire flashlight with the momentary on/off switch for proper target identification at night and topped with a Trijicon MRO red dot optic for quick target acquisition. I keep some loaded spare magazines in there as well, but I doubt I will ever need to reload during a home invasion. The first 30 Black Hills 77 grain Tipped Match Kings will likely suffice.

Though I hunted frequently through my teenage years, I'm not much of a hunter as an adult. I just don't get any enjoyment out of it anymore. So I am mainly into target shooting, plinking and home defense. Guns are a way of life to me. I was born and raised around them. They are as much ingrained into me as UK football and basketball. It is always a pleasure for me to take new people out to the range and get them up to speed on handling and using firearms. Though a certain political party in this country has and continues to vilify guns and gun owners as some sort of evil force, most gun owners are simply responsible, hard working people with good morals that simply wish to exercise their constitutional rights and take responsibility for their own protection.

Technology has really made it easier for firearms owners to secure their weapons from children while also keeping them readily accessible in case they are rapidly needed. But as Morg pointed out early in the thread, the best means of making your firearms "compatible" in the home with children is to take away the mystery that surrounds them. Curiosity is something all children have. So we must embrace that. If we simply tell kids that they are under no circumstances allowed to touch firearms yet never follow that up with further instruction or information, we are only doing a disservice because their curiosity is going to make them that much more fascinated by the mysterious forbidden object dad keeps on the top shelf in the closet.

My own dad did a good job with me by teaching me early on in life (and often) about firearms. Instead of forbidding me from touching his firearms, he encouraged me explore the topic while under close supervision. I was only instructed to never be around or handle any firearms when he wasn't present. If I ever wanted to look at, handle or even take a firearm out to shoot, he told me all I needed to do was ask. He actually purchased a single shot Winchester 410 gauge shotgun and some type of Remington bolt action .22 rifle for me when I was very young and allowed me to learn on those as I got old enough to use them. He also took me hunting from a pretty early age and that allowed me to see firsthand what firearms could do in the real world. That squirrel we'd blast out of a hickory tree didn't come back to life like cartoon characters. The finality of death quickly sunk in.

By the time I was 10 years old I pretty much knew as much about firearms as most adults. Because I was thoroughly familiar with them, my curiosity was satisfied and I never felt any need to sneak around and mess with them in dad's absence. And because I saw what they could do, I never played around with them. But I guarantee that if he had simply tried to keep me away from them rather than introducing me to them, I would have found a way to satisfy that curiosity on my own. It is what kids do. And that is where most people get into real trouble.

That said, I would suggest using layers of security. Handguns should be secured either on the person or in something like a biometric safe mounted up high where it isn't so accessible to little ones. It might not be your own kid that finds a gun and plays with it. It might be one his/her friends that isn't trained or knowledgeable about guns and gun safety. Stuff like this is just basic common sense. But it can prevent a tragedy.

While I don't personally have any children in my home right at this moment, I still work to secure them as if I did, because you never know when someone might stop by and bring children with them. I don't want something just laying around that anyone could find and pick up. My carry gun in just a simple, relatively inexpensive Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I carry it religiously. When I wake up and get dressed I put on the holstered pistol and it stays on until I get undressed that night. That way that gun is 100% under my direct control and observation any time it is out of the safe. It is small, light, reliable and shoots as well for me as larger duty sized handguns do.

Likewise, I keep all of my other guns unloaded and locked away in the safe when I'm not at home. Other home defense guns are kept ready in biometric pistol safes at strategic points around the home (identical Glock 9mm pistols with Streamlight TLR-1 lights attached and a spare magazine for a reload) that can be quickly accessed in an emergency. I also keep a BCM AR-15 (M4 style) carbine loaded and at the ready in a small rifle size biometric safe in my master bedroom. I will choose this over my handguns if time permits because a high velocity 5.56mm rifle round is a much more capable fight stopper than a handgun and easier to shoot accurately. It is equipped with a Surefire flashlight with the momentary on/off switch for proper target identification at night and topped with a Trijicon MRO red dot optic for quick target acquisition. I keep some loaded spare magazines in there as well, but I doubt I will ever need to reload during a home invasion. The first 30 Black Hills 77 grain Tipped Match Kings will likely suffice.

Though I hunted frequently through my teenage years, I'm not much of a hunter as an adult. I just don't get any enjoyment out of it anymore. So I am mainly into target shooting, plinking and home defense. Guns are a way of life to me. I was born and raised around them. They are as much ingrained into me as UK football and basketball. It is always a pleasure for me to take new people out to the range and get them up to speed on handling and using firearms. Though a certain political party in this country has and continues to vilify guns and gun owners as some sort of evil force, most gun owners are simply responsible, hard working people with good morals that simply wish to exercise their constitutional rights and take responsibility for their own protection.

We're very similar......

Reactions: Hankshaker
I always kind of laughed at people saying they only had a gun to be prepared for doomsday. After seeing the way society has reacted the last week, I think it may be time to go buy one and get some training on it. I don't want to see what people will do if the ish actually does hit the fan.

And I know the jokes. Glenn with a gun. Ha ha. Lots of jokes to be made but I am serious about getting one to defend my home. I have absolutely no faith in my fellow man.
Glenn.... my opinion in support would be to say that I think adults should learn how to use a firearm safely and competently. It is much easier to do that when you own your own firearm. I also think you should learn to ride a motorcycle:)... maybe wield a sword.

As a retired state cop, I only wish you were right. I saw too many "accidents" in my 30 years. I even investigated a murder of a gunshop owner who was very well trained who was shot with one of the guns the suspect took from the shop.

I will bet anyone that we will hear of at least one tragic "accident" in the next few weeks as a direct result of someone running out to buy a gun.
Did we get a spike in accidental shootings?

My answer to the question is still no.

Those of you who allow stupid left wing politics to go so far as to miss out on the opportunity that most people around the world and historically would kill to have is absurd. You need to lighten up and have some fun.

lock it down
Take the guns
Kill private ownership

THE PEOPLE OF NO FUN AT ALL

I just bought a Mosin Nagant 1891 dated 1893. It’s got a pedigree and a wild history. Holding it seems, well, out of this world. No telling where this gun has been overseas and what wars it was used in.

BAN DANGEROUS OH MY GOD

Hope you eventually get your head out of your ass. You guys are worse than the evangelical wing of the republicans from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Way, way worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: gobigbluebell
Those of you who allow stupid left wing politics to go so far as to miss out on the opportunity that most people around the world and historically would kill to have is absurd. You need to lighten up and have some fun.

lock it down
Take the guns
Kill private ownership

THE PEOPLE OF NO FUN AT ALL

I just bought a Mosin Nagant 1891 dated 1893. It’s got a pedigree and a wild history. Holding it seems, well, out of this world. No telling where this gun has been overseas and what wars it was used in.

BAN DANGEROUS OH MY GOD

Hope you eventually get your head out of your ass. You guys are worse than the evangelical wing of the republicans from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Way, way worse.
I don’t need to shoot a gun in order to have fun.

Sounds like you need to see a psychiatrist or therapist if you can’t have fun without shooting one.

Reactions: nom de plume
I had a friend (now departed) who was big into full contact karate. He lifted weights and ran to stay in shape. He went to full contact karate classes regularly. I was bigger than him and had gone through a physical armed restraint school in the military, but in a hand to hand fight, he would've kicked my butt. One day he pulled in to a mini mart, a guy walked up to him with a gun and took his wallet. He bought a handgun and never went to another karate class.

Reactions: blubo and Catman100
Up until two weeks ago I only owned a deer rifle.....I got it for my birthday in 2012 and the trigger lock has never been off of it........I bought my wife a .380 and myself a 9mm..........put lasers on them so I don't have to waste a bunch of ammo practicing........my friend who recently retired from the ATF told me that he wouldn't walk the streets of Louisville without a gun...........I am too old to protect myself any other way........

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Actually, I like your thinking. I am not against people having guns. But, to say that a 5 year old is trained and able to make good decisions is unbelievably stupid, to be honest.
Especially since science says the child won't develop reasoning until their early 20's

I have no ill will toward any people and as a matter of fact I think a great way to bring about new, reasonable gun laws, is to issue a gun to every minority member citizen of this country. I say this because history tells us it works.
When I was just a little kid I was already paying attention to world events. California was a state that allowed open carry for all gun owners. That worked okay until one day a black group of men stood outside the state capitol. Harmless, legally carrying, but it changed everything. Within days the open carry laws were changed. The Governor signed the new law as fast as he could.
The group? Black Panthers. The governor? Ronald Reagan.
Black Panthers were demonized when in reality they were a peaceful group.

Sorry for the epistle.
I have read everything on this board now......."Black Panthers were demonized when in reality they were a peaceful group"...............
The language of the Black Panthers was violent as was their public stance. The two founders of the Black Panther Party were Huey Percy Newton and Bobby Seale. They preached for a “revolutionary war” but though they considered themselves an African-American party, they were willing to speak out for all those who were oppressed from whatever minority group. They were willing to use violence to get what they wanted. https://www.historylearningsite.co....t-in-america-1945-to-1968/the-black-panthers/

Thanks for the information, I agree , for the most part with their platform minus #3 and 10. You obviously read their 10 point platform. Violence was never mentioned or insinuated. The FBI claimed they were a violent group. Reagan claimed they were a violent group. Because of Reagans fear, he immediately signed a law for gun control. I definitely can be wrong but I do not remember a proven violent crime that was committed by the BPP unless you count Reagans and J. Edgar Hoovers fear of black men as a crime.

Maybe I was naive, but it really seemed like the first half of my life the vast, vast, vast majority of crime was in certain areas of town. But now it seems like things have spread to nicer areas. I now carry almost everywhere. I know that it's such a low chance that I'll ever need it, but then again it's such a low inconvenience that it's no big deal to "have and not need."
You wasn't naive......the stupid liberals came up with scattered site housing.......(spread the trash) I think it was Queen Jerry Abramson who came up with that idea......My friend who was in charge of the local ATF office said he wouldn't be caught out without a gun......and he isn't a pu$$y either........Louisville has became a dangerous city........just like all the other liberal cities..........160+ gun deaths so far this year......

Reactions: hmt5000
You wasn't naive......the stupid liberals came up with scattered site housing.......(spread the trash) I think it was Queen Jerry Abramson who came up with that idea......My friend who was in charge of the local ATF office said he wouldn't be caught out without a gun......and he isn't a pu$$y either........Louisville has became a dangerous city........just like all the other liberal cities..........160+ gun deaths so far this year......
And they want to make it much worse. Housing projects in the nicest neighborhoods even though there is very little in the way of public transport for those folks.

Reactions: awf
Especially since science says the child won't develop reasoning until their early 20's

I just read the case that some used to blast Amy Klobochar. The kid who was convicted was 17 and received a life sentence for killing an 11 year old girl while trying to shoot a rival gang member. Part of the reasoning that was used to set him free was his age. They claimed he would not have been able to think like an adult since he was legally a child.

My only point is that if a 17 year old could be not held responsible for what he does with a gun, why would anyone think a younger child could be more responsible?

I just read the case that some used to blast Amy Klobochar. The kid who was convicted was 17 and received a life sentence for killing an 11 year old girl while trying to shoot a rival gang member. Part of the reasoning that was used to set him free was his age. They claimed he would not have been able to think like an adult since he was legally a child.

My only point is that if a 17 year old could be not held responsible for what he does with a gun, why would anyone think a younger child could be more responsible?
Maybe someone lacking critical thinking.........I take my grand kids out and use a air rifle and BB pistol to teach them about guns/gun saftey.........I strarted rabbit hunting when I was maybe 8 or nine years old........but always with adults and always with an adult right at my side..............I don't advocate sheilding kids from guns.....but some take it overboard.....

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Well any time you can report about emails from a relative's church group that reference "information" that is supposed to be from a government source and which is otherwise unsupported, you should absolutely pass that on!

Thank berniecarbo. You have done an important thing today.
Feel like a jackass yet?

• Haha
Reactions: gobigbluebell
Feel like a jackass yet?

No. It is so bizarre that there would be rumor mongering about violence in Nashville before a car bombing in a major US city that there is literally no way to know what is true about what just happened.

If the rumors had led to there being violent riots in Nashville and the federales got wind of messages from the organizers, that would make some degree of sense. But Antifa and BLM are a pack of pussies who aren't going to riot in the cold when no one is around so I felt comfortable with my statement.

What just occurred is a singular event in America and it appears to be a surgical strike on network infrastructure that was done to intentionally avoid casualties to the best degree possible. Our best hope is that it was done by some disgruntled employee similar to the anthrax attacks after 9/11, imo.

I have tried 3 time to reply saying I would compensate you for your munitions stash but it automatically deletes it. Evidently the way I was wording it had something that is a no no. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT