ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-Cal fans vs Pro-Cal fans next season (funny tweet)

I no longer understand those who want Cal to remain. I really don't.

I can only assume they just don't understand how bad Cal has been the past 4-5 years from a historical perspective. Cal is doing things now that have NEVER been done. And I'm not talking about good things.

I can only assume they just don't understand how bad Cal has been the past 4-5 years from a historical perspective. Cal is doing things now that have NEVER been done. And I'm not talking about good things.
I get it. I disagree with them, but some people just believe it’s their job to support all UK personnel. I respect that position. The one I don’t respect is the people that have gone “all in” that he’s a great coach and refuse to admit they’re wrong.

I don't think all those who don't want him gone now are really defending him or his recent history. I think they just don't want the wrong guy or series of wrong guys. (i.e. BCG, U of L of late or Indiana circu 2000-2024)

The devil you know vs. the devil you don't

This is a good point.

I want Cal gone. But I don’t want a panic hire, 6th choice coach as his replacement. Making a change to make one without a plan is stupid. Making a change with a clear replacement plan in place is not.

They're petrified that a coach can't be found that can handle the program like Cal

As I had posted several times I was a Cal fan when he first came to the program but over the years observed his coaching weaknesses and felt it was time and appropriate for him to go. Now that the decision has been made for him to stay I want him to be successful. I am fine if he wins with great talent (which is what it will take to overcome his lousy coaching) and hope it happens. What other choice is there now? I don't see a point of complaining any longer until next season.

I think there are very few people who in a vacuum would explicitly want Cal as the coach next year. But I think there is an argument to be made for him returning given the context of everything and I think that is why he's back.

A $33 million buyout, even if it's paid over time and can be offset, is still massive. It's also a pretty bad look for the public when a public university spends that much on a buyout even if it comes from booster funds. Indiana was in the headlines a bit for the buyout of their football coach. On top of that you would have to buyout the contract of his replacement and offer a high enough salary to lure the coach to UK. At the end of the day firing Cal would have been a massive expense.

And when you look at the coaching candidates right now there really isn't a slam dunk unless you get one of the big fish people keep mentioning (and even then I think there's an argument guys like Wright or Donovan wouldn't actually know how to navigate this whole NIL/portal environment and wouldn't have as much a slam dunk as people think).

So give the massive cost of firing and replacing Cal, and the fact that there really aren't any sure thing replacements, I can see how one would come to the logical conclusion to bring him back. The argument would always be "anyone could be do better than Cal" but first not 100% true, there are coaches out there who could crash and burn. And there are coaches out there who would be slight improvements to Cal, but are those coaches worth the cost of all of this? If they are a lateral move or barely an improvement is the fanbase really going to be happy in three years? Probably not, and then you have to go back to the boosters and ask for them to bail you out yet again. And that becomes even harder to do if we're still paying Cal's buyout.

Reactions: BlueBomb
This is a good point.

I want Cal gone. But I don’t want a panic hire, 6th choice coach as his replacement. Making a change to make one without a plan is stupid. Making a change with a clear replacement plan in place is not.
I finally crossed over to the dark side and wanted him gone. But as things unfolded, and the list of who people were ready to settle for got crazier and crazier (Tom Crean? My aunt Fanny!). I started getting the old Billy Clyde flashbacks, where we add the off court embarrassment of drunken escapades, to the on court disappointments . I wanted him gone, but he ain't going. So I'll hope for the best and do what I always do, and root for my team. What I'm not to do is throw a 365 day tantrum. The straw on the camels back is increasing.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I finally crossed over to the dark side and wanted him gone. But as things unfolded, and the list of who people were ready to settle for got crazier and crazier (Tom Crean? My aunt Fanny!). I started getting the old Billy Clyde flashbacks, where we add the off court embarrassment of drunken escapades, to the on court disappointments . I wanted him gone, but he ain't going. So I'll hope for the best and do what I always do, and root for my team. What I'm not to do is throw a 365 day tantrum. The straw on the camels back is increasing.
Something that made me feel better about when we hire our next coach is I believe that one positive thing about Mitch giving Cal another chance is that other coaches see that and won’t be as afraid of the job. Cal has hit historic lows that we’ve never seen and got a second chance. At major programs that’s rare

Absolutely agree.

I became apathetic to Cal after St. Peter’s. Oakland pushed me over the edge and I want a change at the top ASAP, but what’s done is done. Cal will be here. I can’t make him not be here, so whining about it every day seems childish to me. I said my piece and now have to live with the university’s decision.

Sorry, the "who can we get that's better than Cal" argument has to be about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Honestly, there are a TON of coaches that could do a better job that what Cal has done for the past 4 years and I don't believe for 1 second that none of them would want to come to Kentucky. Cal is a disgrace to Kentucky basketball and some people try to say you can't find anyone better? That's just ridiculous; how can it get worse?

All I can say is that anybody who is a pro Cal person is NOT a true blue UK basketball fan. The BBN, if it’s all it’s cracked up to be, and I think it is, needs to send a message. They need to band together, take a year off, and force change. This means Cal and Mitch. It’ll make us what we are supposed to be in the end, a blue blood who is present when it counts.

There is something in common with all super pro Cal supporters. A particular belief system outside of basketball …From what I have noticed (on here, Facebook groups, X (twitter) Instagram etc.)

Something else I’ve noticed is that the “Pro Cal” folks seem to be more a fan of Calipari than Kentucky basketball. I mean obviously they root for and cheer for UK but they seem more enamored, impressed etc with Calipari.

Just my opinion and something I’ve noticed.

Reactions: KFuqua
I don't understand the whole argument of not firing someone because there isn't a sure fire hire out there.

What exactly is that in college basketball terms? No one is a slam dunk. Nothing is guaranteed. If you are waiting on an obvious savior you are going to be waiting forever and you'll never fire Cal.

I only really seen 2 pro Kal folks here.
I haven't tried to count, but when asked about the whole thing by friends who aren't U.K. fans or in any way connected with U.K., my stock answer has been "about 75% want to fire Calipari tonight, and about 25% are Sunshine Pumpers." I really don't think the Sunshine Pumpers are that great a percentage ... but just to be generous ...

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
There is something in common with all super pro Cal supporters. A particular belief system outside of basketball …From what I have noticed (on here, Facebook groups, X (twitter) Instagram etc.)

Something else I’ve noticed is that the “Pro Cal” folks seem to be more a fan of Calipari than Kentucky basketball. I mean obviously they root for and cheer for UK but they seem more enamored, impressed etc with Calipari.

Just my opinion and something I’ve noticed.
Not that everyone has to be, but there aren't a lot of Alpha males on that list.

I haven't tried to count, but when asked about the whole thing by friends who aren't U.K. fans or in any way connected with U.K., my stock answer has been "about 75% want to fire Calipari tonight, and about 25% are Sunshine Pumpers." I really don't think the Sunshine Pumpers are that great a percentage ... but just to be generous ...
Has UKBBALL4EVER made a single post in here though the last week?

I don't think all those who don't want him gone now are really defending him or his recent history. I think they just don't want the wrong guy or series of wrong guys. (i.e. BCG, U of L of late or Indiana circu 2000-2024)

The devil you know vs. the devil you don't
We ARE Indiana,BCG level right now,how can people not see this. Faint hearts never won fair maidens. Alot of our fans are just wimps to frightened to make a change. NOTHING great is ever accomplished without risk

The sad thing is, there are no winners in this.
All BBN fans want the same thing and that is for UK Basketball to be on top again; win big games, win in March, win in Rupp.
What separates us is how to get there.
You just saved me some time brotha. I was about to say this.

Reactions: Oldbluefart
We ARE Indiana,BCG level right now,how can people not see this. Faint hearts never won fair maidens. Alot of our fans are just wimps to frightened to make a change. NOTHING great is ever accomplished without risk
Good grief. More of you idiots. Do you think if you say this enough times it will just be true?

A coworker of mine says we have no idea what it's like to be Indiana. Some folks Folks on here like to jab at @MdWIldcat55, but he points out IU's recent floundering and we're not there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT