ADVERTISEMENT

Another hypothetical

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Barney meets with cal and cal agrees to renegotiate his buyout to peanuts if he’s given another season. What do you do? How would you react as a fan?

Barney meets with cal and cal agrees to renegotiate his buyout to peanuts if he’s given another season. What do you do? How would you react as a fan?
Why would he want one more season?

I haven't wanted him here since 2018.

Reactions: Farsight
No because then you risk the season being a failure instead you can have a new coach and start rebuilding

Reactions: bigbluedon
Keep digging that hole.. seems like a good plan

Why another year? What would be the point of a lame-duck coach? It wouldn’t be any sort of farewell tour

It’s over. Everyone just needs to get on board

Why would he want one more season?

I haven't wanted him here since 2018.
Another season to get us back to relevancy. Same contract through 29 no ambassadorship and buyout after next season drops to say 5 million max. I don’t think cal wants to be fired and Barney doesn’t want to pay the buyout.

Keep digging that hole.. seems like a good plan

Why another year? What would be the point of a lame-duck coach? It wouldn’t be any sort of farewell tour

It’s over. Everyone just needs to get on board
Another year to eliminate most of the buyout. I’m thinking from $$$ and Barney’s ego standpoint

Another season to get us back to relevancy. Same contract through 29 no ambassadorship and buyout after next season drops to say 5 million max. I don’t think cal wants to be fired and Barney doesn’t want to pay the buyout.
Well good thing Barney isn’t the one paying the buyout lol

We haven't been all that relevant now for 10 years. Certainly not the last 5. What does one more year achieve except more damage to the program?

Wouldn’t make a difference to me. I’ve seen enough & nothing could be said or done to change my mind, even if Calipari offered to forfeit the buyout, coach for free or to pay UK to keep his job. Just GTFO.

But, I was done with him before he started losing, too. The revolving door of players & the disrespect for our program, fans, records & traditions, among other things, pushed me over the edge around 2018. It was pretty sickening having to watch his son get actual game minutes ahead of real players, too.

We haven't been all that relevant now for 10 years. Certainly not the last 5. What does one more year achieve except more damage to the program?
I’m framing it in the sense of the money the buyout. Like I said cal doesn’t want to be fired and Barney doesn’t want to pay the buyout. He may end up doing it but he’s gonna look for a way to split the baby instead. Let’s say reed returns as well and all of this is announced simultaneously. I doubt Barney is gonna walk in and say “you’re fired”. He’s gonna give cal an opportunity to walk on his own. Whether through a negotiated buyout OR a renegotiated contract. This is a common thing for an administrator to first try to unring the bell. Whether college, pro contracts whatever

I’m fine with it, but he better convince some guys to return to help him go out with a bang, starting with Sheppard.

I’m fine with it, but he better convince some guys to return to help him go out with a bang, starting with Sheppard.
Well this is what I’m implying. Cal renegotiates the contract and because these guys love each other so much supposedly he’s able to keep shep, Z, Thiero and DJ. Maybe edwards.

Won't be popular on this board, but if the right guys come back I'd be on board.

Having the Sheppard family being on three of our last four title teams would be pretty damn cool and would solidify them even more as a family of UK basketball royalty. I'd take the chance of seeing that depending on who came back.

There'd have to be a serious performance clause. Like Final 4 or done. Maybe Elite 8 if he wins the SEC.

Hypothetically I'd take it. Doubt Cal would have incentive to do this though.

I'm in the minority, but there's a path where I'm cool with Cal staying another year.
-Bring back Reed, Adou, Big Z

-ditch Chin Coleman and Bruiser Flint

-replace Chin with Brandin Knight, the Rutgers assistant, and bring in Ace Bailey with him

-replace Bruiser with a legit X's and O's guy

-add 2-3 guys from the portal to fill out remaining roster spots- guys who are experienced and confident enough that Cal's ineptitude won't rattle them.

Hypothetically I'd take it. Doubt Cal would have incentive to do this though.

I'm in the minority, but there's a path where I'm cool with Cal staying another year.
-Bring back Reed, Adou, Big Z

-ditch Chin Coleman and Bruiser Flint

-replace Chin with Brandin Knight, the Rutgers assistant, and bring in Ace Bailey with him

-replace Bruiser with a legit X's and O's guy

-add 2-3 guys from the portal to fill out remaining roster spots- guys who are experienced and confident enough that Cal's ineptitude won't rattle them.
Yeah and let’s have another 💩 defense for another season lol. Even if they return don’t expect a huge leap in their ability to guard. This is why Cal needs to go, too many what if’s

Yeah and let’s have another 💩 defense for another season lol. Even if they return don’t expect a huge leap in their ability to guard. This is why Cal needs to go, too many what if’s
Big difference in having 1 or 2 below average defenders on the floor than having 3 or 4. Having a guy like Reed on the court gambling on defense is ok if the 4 other guys around him are fundamentally sound and disciplined and have the length/athleticism to impact plays.

It's annoying to constantly talk about the next recruiting class but Boogie Fland, Quaintance, Billy Richmond and Somto are all better defensively than any of the freshmen this past season.

This years team was potent offensively with elite level shooting and shot creation. Very bad defensively as we all know. Like maybe worst in Cal's time here, without knowing the numbers.

Still a chance next year could be small step down offensively (still really good) while being much better on defense. That'd work for me.

Having said that, there will always be a "wait till next year" with Cal so it doesn't matter much when the results have been so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT