ADVERTISEMENT

Annual “Who Would You Like To Have If Stoops Goes?” Thread

One answer, only Sumrall. Get him now!! Stoops wants to bitch about money. He got enough to have as much or more talent than s carolina and look what happened

Somehow dudes teams are always disorganized cluster f***s!! He already tried to leave, time to help him leave for good. Go bring Sumrall home

Seahawks OC previously at Washington

Oregon DC definitely on the rise was at Bama before I think and NFL as well

Maybe Hamdan can call Chris Petersen…try another old retired Pacific Northwest ball coach

Keep an eye on Coen and what he does in Tampa

Keep an eye on Coen and what he does in Tampa
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

We should take the best available. If that is sumrall so be it, but would rather see if there are better options out there. Take sunbelt billy... did great at lower level schools but not jack squat at Florida. Would rather have a proven commodity in P4/5 football.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Sumrall is 24-5 his three years at Troy and Tulane.

Of the 5 losses two have been against a ranked K-State team, and one against a ranked Ole Miss team.
Yeah they lost to #14 K State 34-27 this past Saturday despite outgaining them 491-396. The terrible pass interference play that wiped out a Tulane TD with 17 seconds left potentially cost them the upset.

Do a national search. We need to hire a offensive HC. Most of the HC in the SEC have a offensive background.

My problem with Sumrall is his schemes are too close to Stoops. We need a change.
Stoops Jr. We need to put points on the damn board.

Reactions: Boz
What big time head coaches in the SEC and the game today are known as defense first coaches? Kirby Smart ? Brent venerables maybe? But those programs basically have NFL rosters.

Last edited:

Of the 5 losses two have been against a ranked K-State team, and one against a ranked Ole Miss team.

Jon Sumrall is the most charismatic coach I have met. He could sell Confederate bonds to Yankee Bankers!!
Add on to the fact these other nuggets:

1. Troy went 5-7, 5-6 and 5-7 in the 3 years prior to Sumrall. He comes in and they go 12-2 (finish the season ranked #19 in the country) and 11-2.
2. When Sumrall was at UK, the signees he was the lead recruiter for had the highest star average amongst all coaches, including Vince.

Jon Sumrall is the most charismatic coach I have met. He could sell Confederate bonds to Yankee Bankers!!
Before Troy job he sold Israeli bonds to Iranian bankers

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
We should take the best available. If that is sumrall so be it, but would rather see if there are better options out there. Take sunbelt billy... did great at lower level schools but not jack squat at Florida. Would rather have a proven commodity in P4/5 football.
It's a crap shoot regardless of how they got there or if they are a proven commodity or not. If you look at the current top 10:

1. Georgia - DC at P5
2. Texas - mediocre success as HC at P5, then OC at P5
3. Ohio State - OC at P5
4. Alabama - successful head coach at P5
5. Ole Miss - mediocre success as HC at P5, then success as HC at G5
6. Missouri - successful head coach at G5
7. Tennessee - successful head coach at G5
8. Penn State - successful head coach at P5
9. Oregon - DC at P5
10. Miami - mediocre coach at G5, semi-successful HC at P5

It's a mix of guys who were successful at the G5, struggled at G5, successful at P5, not successful at Power 5, straight from coordinator. There is no magic formula.

1. Sumrall
2. Top OC who develops QBs (who)?
Then:
Kansas coach?
Kansas State coach?
USF coach only if he has a good record this year?

Reactions: deep3
It's a crap shoot regardless of how they got there or if they are a proven commodity or not. If you look at the current top 10:

1. Georgia - DC at P5
2. Texas - mediocre success as HC at P5, then OC at P5
3. Ohio State - OC at P5
4. Alabama - successful head coach at P5
5. Ole Miss - mediocre success as HC at P5, then success as HC at G5
6. Missouri - successful head coach at G5
7. Tennessee - successful head coach at G5
8. Penn State - successful head coach at P5
9. Oregon - DC at P5
10. Miami - mediocre coach at G5, semi-successful HC at P5

It's a mix of guys who were successful at the G5, struggled at G5, successful at P5, not successful at Power 5, straight from coordinator. There is no magic formula.
6 or 7 of those guys are primarily offensive guys. Let's face it, it's a Quarterback's game these days. No longer can the defense just shut teams down. QB is the most important position on the field and it isn't even close.

IF a change is the route UK chooses to go, I think you need to have your guy in advance. No one wants to be involved in one of those searches where 4-5 people are interviewed , and still no coach. But if you aren't hiring someone who is already a successful P5 head coach, even those are 100%, there is a big risk. Look at how many the Gators have gone through, Vols didn't get it right for awhile. Sumrall looks like an excellent canidate for a P4 head coach. But I don't know anything about him other than he is a UK guy. But bottom line, he is a defensive guy, he is going to have to get him a good DC, not bring is staff from Tulane, thats what Napier tried to do at UF and they are just over their heads. We lucked into getting a good coach, but it was always going to be Kirby, there was no search, was done deal before Richt was let go. AD was told the terms already agreed on, to get the contract signed or clean his office out on the way home.

We lucked into getting a good coach, but it was always going to be Kirby

And that is about how it is with Jon Sumrall.

His defenses have been great at Troy and Tulane, but his offenses have not been chopped liver.

His biography began in Northern Alabama, where he lived and played HS football. He was once Kentucky’s leading tackler. His recruiting at Kentucky was stellar . . . along with the 4 Star signees he was responsible for signing, he spotted Jamin Davis, an overlooked 3 Star player who went in the Top 15 after three years.

One could reasonably argue that Sumrall’s
departure has led to a lowering of success at UK, obviously along with Coach Schlarman’s untimely passing.

Before Troy job he sold Israeli bonds to Iranian bankers
A new coach will have to have his own complete staff. Vince will be looking for a job. Can't keep leftovers from a former staff. Sometimes if it is near recruit signing date for a short period. We as fans can't expect to help choose staff. i would take a close look at Gus Malzahn, proven winner in SEC. Current salary $5.5 Million. Could get him for $6.5 to $7 million. Malzahn has a ton more experience than Jon Sumrall. There are several coaches that have a good resume that would crawl to Lexington. Our program needs energy, excitement, hope, and potential. Currently have none of the previously mentioned requirements.

Any potential coach would be STUPID to not keep Vince.
He holds up his end of the bargain more than any other coach. More importantly, the current players love and trust him.
You lose Vince, you lose half the roster and that’s a non starter.

6 or 7 of those guys are primarily offensive guys. Let's face it, it's a Quarterback's game these days. No longer can the defense just shut teams down. QB is the most important position on the field and it isn't even close.
I don't disagree about the offensive minded coach. I'm not as opposed to a defensive minded coach, but he better have a good offensive system prior to coming here (if he is a HC).

My point was more that there is no magic solution to getting a good coach.

You hire a coach with a defensive background then you know ahead of time what kind of defense you are getting but you may not know much about what kind of offense your getting because in about every case the offense would be outsourced to whoever you bring in as an OC. Same thing in reverse if you hire a offense oriented guy.

Any potential coach would be STUPID to not keep Vince.
He holds up his end of the bargain more than any other coach. More importantly, the current players love and trust him.
You lose Vince, you lose half the roster and that’s a non starter.
I would venture to say you are going to lose a large percentage of the roster anyway when/if we go 4-8 or 5-7 which looks probable

I am and have always been a basketball fan. With that being said last weekends football effort was absolutely unacceptable

Sumrall is the obvious answer. He's also the most likely (other than Marrow who's a non-starter as HC) in retaining the good players we currently have.

Sumrall is the obvious answer. He's also the most likely (other than Marrow who's a non-starter as HC) in retaining the good players we currently have.
Marrow won't even get a sniff when the time comes. Brad White is the only guy on staff that would get an interview imo.

One answer, only Sumrall. Get him now!! Stoops wants to bitch about money. He got enough to have as much or more talent than s carolina and look what happened

Somehow dudes teams are always disorganized cluster f***s!! He already tried to leave, time to help him leave for good. Go bring Sumrall home
I assume the first and only call would be sumrall.
I have nothing against Sumrall but , what has he done that Neil Brown didn’t do at the same point in his career? And no one wants Brown . Neil Brown won at LSU and came close to beating Clemson (I’m thinking that won the National Championship).
Hopefully Sumrall turns out to be great , but does he have 1 win over a P4 conference team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT