• Without 2nd leading scorer
  • Down double digits in first half
  • Won after starting 1-15 shooting
  • Edwards, Thiero, Bradshaw, Big Z combine for 1 point, we still win
  • Defense held opponent to 57 points on 37% shooting
  • Auburn lost
  • Kansas lost
It's a good day
Yeah I think they said Muss had beat Cal 4 of the last 5 or something bad so getting a win in Bud Walton after back to back road losses was huge.

Yeah I think they said Muss had beat Cal 4 of the last 5 or something bad so getting a win in Bud Walton after back to back road losses was huge.
Any win down there is a good win. You would think after all the corrupt and crap refs we have had over the decades, the hostile road crowds, and how hard it is to win on the road at Bama/Vandy/Arkansas/Florida etc. that people would get used to close games. It happens every year, a couple losses we don’t expect or harder than expected games.

Totally agree. Any road win in the SEC is a big win. Any road win at Bud Walton is huge! Arkansas played with their hair on fire early and we couldn't buy a bucket, missing point blank shots we always make. Sold out crowd screaming their heads off, pumping up their team. I knew it would be a tough game, just like the game at SC, Florida, Texas A&M. But we found a way to win.

I thought our defense was better today than it has been. We were forcing Arkansas to take tough twos all day, which is what we've been failing to do for much of the season. We had some breakdowns, of course, but I say it's a step in the right direction.

Great win? I’m glad they got the W but talk about putting lipstick on a pig….Arkansas sucks this year. This is Kentucky basketball, we should win games like this against a team with a record of 10-10. Smh

Great win? I’m glad they got the W but talk about putting lipstick on a pig….Arkansas sucks this year. This is Kentucky basketball, we should win games like this against a team with a record of 10-10. Smh
Easy to say what and ignore the context of both this game and the larger college basketball landscape. Winning on the road is harder than it's ever been. Top 10 teams are winning less than 40% of the time on the road this year.

Last game we got absolutely punched in the mouth. All systems failure, no doubt about that. And then this game starts with us shooting 1-15, missing open shots and point blank layups, and going down by double digits. It would be really easy for this team to have folded and let the game get out of hand in one of the toughest arenas in the country for road teams to play in.

But what did they do? Slowly figured it out. Found a lineup that was having a lot of success and stuck with it and grinded out a win. The spread was UK -5.5 and we won by 6. Did it without Dillingham. Defensive effort was much better overall. Rebounding was better. Ugo played very well. Sheppard returned to form in the second half and was great at facilitating the offense and took what the defense gave him and hit some shots.

Games like this can turn into turning points for teams. After South Carolina there was some huge question marks and this team responded quite well in the second half today. The freshmen still aren't used playing in tough road environments but the team pulled it out today.

Starting 1-15, going down by a lot and then coming back to win is a huge learning experience and confidence boost. If this team starts out slow in the tournament you can regroup and look to a game like this to know you shouldn't panic. I think this is one of those games that looks ugly but pay dividends down the line.

Easy to say what and ignore the context of both this game and the larger college basketball landscape. Winning on the road is harder than it's ever been. Top 10 teams are winning less than 40% of the time on the road this year.

Last game we got absolutely punched in the mouth. All systems failure, no doubt about that. And then this game starts with us shooting 1-15, missing open shots and point blank layups, and going down by double digits. It would be really easy for this team to have folded and let the game get out of hand in one of the toughest arenas in the country for road teams to play in.

But what did they do? Slowly figured it out. Found a lineup that was having a lot of success and stuck with it and grinded out a win. The spread was UK -5.5 and we won by 6. Did it without Dillingham. Defensive effort was much better overall. Rebounding was better. Ugo played very well. Sheppard returned to form in the second half and was great at facilitating the offense and took what the defense gave him and hit some shots.

Games like this can turn into turning points for teams. After South Carolina there was some huge question marks and this team responded quite well in the second half today. The freshmen still aren't used playing in tough road environments but the team pulled it out today.

Starting 1-15, going down by a lot and then coming back to win is a huge learning experience and confidence boost. If this team starts out slow in the tournament you can regroup and look to a game like this to know you shouldn't panic. I think this is one of those games that looks ugly but pay dividends down the line.
I hope it is a turning point, but I stand by what I said. Arkansas isn’t a good basketball team. UNC Greensboro picked up a win in Bud Walton Arena this season.

I hope it is a turning point, but I stand by what I said. Arkansas isn’t a good basketball team. UNC Greensboro picked up a win in Bud Walton Arena this season.
You’re right. They are not good. We are also not playing a complete game as of late. But look around. Nobody in the top ten can seem to win a road game. So take it and be happy. It was a must win.

• SEC win
  • On the road
  • Auburn lost
  • Kansas lost
It's a good day
It was a very much needed win. Kansas losing again makes me joyful and watch these asshats drop to either 8 or 9.

It was an ugly win but honestly never thought Kentucky would lose this game. Even when they couldn't buy a bucket in the 1st half, Arkansas was not playing that well either. 2nd showing in a row of a better defense by Kentucky. If last year's team down all of those guards could win down there, figured this one would come around and they did. Huge tests this week vs Tennessee on Sat and going for the sweep of Florida.

Reactions: thedahc
Not sure I'd call it 'great.'

Arkansas is terrible and without 2 of their 4 best players. Still managed to trail the majority of the game and just look generally horrific offensively.

I thought Mitchell, outside of the couple 3s he hit late, was atrocious.

Reactions: Mike-D
A win is a win is a win on the road is a good thing but I think if they had been playing any other team on the road they would have lost.

Not sure I'd call it 'great.'

Arkansas is terrible and without 2 of their 4 best players. Still managed to trail the majority of the game and just look generally horrific offensively.

I thought Mitchell, outside of the couple 3s he hit late, was atrocious.
That's why the title is ugly game great win.

Then I listed all the issues we had and we still won. Feels pretty great to get a win considering.

Reactions: shodaman
It was a gritty win. I am happy with it, but we basically held serve.

Big week coming up. Hope we are sharp and pull out two wins.

Reactions: crestcat
  • SEC win
  • On the road
  • Auburn lost
  • Kansas lost
It's a good day
A win on the road is huge no matter how it’s accomplished.

But man to go 10 mins to start the game only making a FG. Just can’t see a legit national title contender having a stretch like that.

It was a gritty win. I am happy with it, but we basically held serve.

Big week coming up. Hope we are sharp and pull out two wins.
Did our offensive numbers fall much (in your model).

Did our offensive numbers fall much (in your model).
I don’t split off offense/defense, although there is a pretty good balance used between offensive and defensive metrics.

Our score went down very slightly yesterday. The model predicted a 7 point win and we won by 6. We were the 12th highest rated team both before and after the game. Arkansas was at 111 both before and after the game.

Reactions: UKortho
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT