ADVERTISEMENT

An Olive Branch

Then who? Bradshaw is close to returning but still out. Z is NOT CLEARED. And Ugo is behind Bradshaw in recovery time.

So, we're really declaring Bradshaw an SS situations by Game 3. We've lost our collective damn minds if so. Now, if don't see him by the start of December. I'm going to start to worry.
Bradshaw is supposed to start practicing with the team either this week or next week. If we don't hear some news about him going through 5 on 5 in practice by the end of the month, I would imagine that means he isn't playing. Once he starts going through full practices though, they are going to make him go through a few to monitor that foot before they put him in a game. They're going to make sure he doesn't have swelling or anything like that.

Reactions: bbncal02
Now THIS. This is a whopper. You would NOT be 100% on the court by now. You would be back to practicing and warming up. Which is where Bradshaw reportedly is.

No heart? Did you even watch last night? The guys out their fought like crazy. Wagner and Edwards were our only flops last night. And it's hard to say what's going on after three games.

The fact we're ready to throw the towel after losing by 5 points and basically two plays is insane.
I was using a metaphor. And I had no problem with anybody put on that court fighting and battling. They did themselves proud. It’s the ones that refuse to play because they might get a hangnail. I played, it would kill ms watching my brothers battling out there.

They were both terrible.

Wagner can't even make layups. I think he will find his groove though. He just has to make the adjustment from always having the ball in his hands to getting others involved.

1-12 FGs, 0-3 3pts, 2-4 FTs. 2 boards, 1 assist, 0 TOs in 25 minutes.

I'll be honest and say that I forgot that Edwards was even on the floor last night and he played almost the whole damn game. That is a whole next level kind of disappearing act.

0-6 FG, 0-3 3pts, 1-2 FT, 4 boards, 2 assists, 2 TOs in 29 minutes.

It's like playing 4 on 5 when they are on the floor.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Damon Wayans Jr What GIF

Reactions: thedahc
I admit I came down on Edwards and DJ like a ton of bricks.

I won't apologize for it, but I'll make you guys a deal.

No more bashing until after the Miami game. You guys say they need "time to develop" or fix their issues, fine.

The next three games are too easy for DJ and Edwards to shine. The Miami game will show if they really improve.

If they lay an egg in that game then all bets are off.

But if they deliver, then I'll eat crow.

Fair enough or not?
Waiting for the Miami and UNC games are where I'm at.

If we can't get it done, yup, another long season.

If they do win those games, I'm going to feel like we're back. Especially if the kids that have struggled figure it out at that point.

Then who? Bradshaw is close to returning but still out. Z is NOT CLEARED. And Ugo is behind Bradshaw in recovery time.

So, we're really declaring Bradshaw an SS situations by Game 3. We've lost our collective damn minds if so. Now, if don't see him by the start of December. I'm going to start to worry.

I highly doubt Bradshaw plays at UK. Clutch sent him to Kentucky for that reason. He would be at USC if he was ever going to play.

Could be wrong, don’t think I am. The UK program is being sabotaged by outsiders. It’s why Duke doesn’t touch some of these players with a 200 foot pole. They already know which ones to avoid.

Wagner is the weak link right now. Why apologize for it? Either he gets better or he turns into a head case too scared to attack.
Yeah and it sucks. We desperately need him and Edwards to play well, or at the very least, solid. We all know Cal is gonna ride with those two until the end, especially DJ. IMHO, he NEEDS to take DJ off the damn ball and slide him in at the 2.

If they do win those games, I'm going to feel like we're back. Especially if the kids that have struggled figure it out at that point.

You do agree, as I know you understand UK and college basketball, that the inconsistency makes it apparent that UK must part with Calipari sometime soon, right? His system cannot produce consistency, regardless if we have a good year or win a title.

When I read your post I’m surprised in that you’ve always seemed to understand where we’re at, but I don’t feel you give this aspect the attention you should.

Mu
I admit I came down on Edwards and DJ like a ton of bricks.

I won't apologize for it, but I'll make you guys a deal.

No more bashing until after the Miami game. You guys say they need "time to develop" or fix their issues, fine.

The next three games are too easy for DJ and Edwards to shine. The Miami game will show if they really improve.

If they lay an egg in that game then all bets are off.

But if they deliver, then I'll eat crow.

Fair enough or not?
I like those sentiments. Furthermore, if Bradshaw isn't on the court by the Miami game I'm over it.

You do agree, as I know you understand UK and college basketball, that the inconsistency makes it apparent that UK must part with Calipari sometime soon, right? His system cannot produce consistency, regardless if we have a good year or win a title.

When I read your post I’m surprised in that you’ve always seemed to understand where we’re at, but I don’t feel you give this aspect the attention you should.
I think we've had a TON of inconsistency over the last 3 or 4 years. After the season, I was with everyone else that was calling for Cal to step down.

I honestly came into this season jaded, thinking the recruits were overhyped and this team wasn't going to be what we hoped.

I see it differently after the Kansas game. This feels like a very good basketball team. And we're playing differently. All of the criticisms I've had about Calipari--he's addressed.

I know people are frustrated about our wins and losses vs ranked teams. Me too. But I don't expect us to win every single game in any given year. And If I were to rank the games on the schedule that we're likely to lose--playing #1 the 3rd game of the season is by far the most likely loss.

I *think* this is the season we turn the corner and make a run. But if we pee down our legs vs Miami and UNC, I'll be warming up the Fire Cal bus.

Are you a kid? Not your place to rag on a child, or nearly so, in the first place. Your job is to support the team as a fan, not rip on them like they owe you something. These are young athletes, not politicians. To the sport, they owe their best effort. To you or any other fan (using the term loosely for some), they owe nothing.
They are paid athletes. Some criticism is warranted if their performance was poor. 1 of 18 with 6 rebs and 3 assists in 54 mins.

Reactions: Mike-McD
Honestly, because of the options we have at guard, he doesn't even have to be that good. He can be more like Teague, Briscoe or so forth and we can be just fine. He just can't have shooting nights like last night. He still took good care of the ball with 0 turnovers. He grabbed a couple rebounds, had an assist, showed toughness with his D for a good chunk of the game, got a steal and only had 2 fouls. The shooting is literally the only thing I can gripe too much about. He needs to drive to the rim more for layups and floaters and draw fouls. That's his game.

Just give him a little time.
Yeah, but 1 assist in 25 minutes from your starting PG isn’t gonna get it done. He needs to pass the ball more and setup teammates. Combine that with the fact he shot 1-12 and WOOF!

Reactions: westerncat

Agreed.

They are paid athletes. Some criticism is warranted if their performance was poor. 1 of 18 with 6 rebs and 3 assists in 54 mins.
Paid child athletes in many cases. Just saying. If I give your kid 10 grand can I talk about him like he was a dog doing tricks?

Funny you lead with shooting percentage, That tells me all I need know about your assessment skills for basketball.

Yeah, but 1 assist in 25 minutes from your starting PG isn’t gonna get it done. He needs to pass the ball more and setup teammates. Combine that with the fact he shot 1-12 and WOOF!
I honestly don't think anyone on this team will avg over 3 apg. We have too many good passers. The shooting was the far larger concern, imo. He and Reeves particularly should have never come close to taking as many as they did.

I highly doubt Bradshaw plays at UK. Clutch sent him to Kentucky for that reason. He would be at USC if he was ever going to play.

Could be wrong, don’t think I am. The UK program is being sabotaged by outsiders. It’s why Duke doesn’t touch some of these players with a 200 foot pole. They already know which ones to avoid.
For what its worth, it's being said he should be ready to play against Marshall.

Bradshaw is expected to be ready that soon? Where you hearing that if you don't mind me asking?
That's next Friday. Which is about when he was projected to be back. I'd been seeing it on twitter in the last day, and Matt mentioned it today as well. So, take it for what it's worth, but that's lining up with what we've been hearing from UK as well.

That's next Friday. Which is about when he was projected to be back. I'd been seeing it on twitter in the last day, and Matt mentioned it today as well. So, take it for what it's worth, but that's lining up with what we've been hearing from UK as well.
I hope so. I had been hearing he was supposed to start practicing this week or next week. I figured it would leak when he started participating in the 5 on 5, but maybe he has already been participating and it just has been kept quiet.

I honestly don't think anyone on this team will avg over 3 apg. We have too many good passers. The shooting was the far larger concern, imo. He and Reeves particularly should have never come close to taking as many as they did.
Very well could be. Really depends on how much PT Reed gets IMO. With ample PT, he would definitely average over 3 per game.

Very well could be. Really depends on how much PT Reed gets IMO. With ample PT, he would definitely average over 3 per game.
Well, the reason I think they will stay lower is because even though Reed, Rob or DJ will be initiating the plays that lead to the baskets, we are now passing a lot more during most plays. So, because of an extra pass, the initiator won't get the credit a lot if the time for the assist even though they set it all up.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Well, the reason I think they will stay lower is because even though Reed, Rob or DJ will be initiating the plays that lead to the baskets, we are now passing a lot more during most plays. So, because of an extra pass, the initiator won't get the credit a lot if the time for the assist even though they set it all up.
Best passing team at Kentucky in a LONG time! It’ll be unbelievable to watch by March. The best thing about this team is that they take excellent care of the basketball. Uncanny with so many freshman guards.

I'm actually a lot more concerned about Edwards than Wagner. I can see what Wagner 'can' be good at, and I think Cal figures out how to use him. With Edwards, I don't see what he's going to give us. The college level seems way too much for him, IMO.
From what I've seen Cal has no interest in using him. No plays for him, no designed post ups. Everything he gets is a back door dunk or dribble dribble dribble make a tough jumper. Yeah he's struggled but Cal hasnt exactly helped him get into a flow either offensively.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Best passing team at Kentucky in a LONG time! It’ll be unbelievable to watch by March. The best thing about this team is that they take excellent care of the basketball. Uncanny with so many freshman guards.
And thats what probably going to save us from some ugly and or unnecessary losses is the ability to not turn the ball over.

Reactions: Wonky
Rob fouled out. That wasn't Cal limiting his minutes, thems the rules.

Reed also made mistakes at the end that hurt our chances. So the outcome likely wasn't changing either way. Reed is going to have some freshman moments and poor games. Wagner got 25 minutes to Reeds 16. That's not a massive discrepancy. Reed also had more fouls than Wagner.

Edwards had to play because of the size disadvantage we were up against.

Agree with you that we were kind of forced to play Edwards due to size. But I don’t agree with you about Reed vs Wagner. Normally, 25 minutes to 16 would not be a huge discrepancy *IF* the player who got the 25 minutes was actually producing. Reed was EXTREMELY productive in his minutes. Every time he was put in the game, we either came back to take the lead, or, if we already had the lead, we extended it. As soon as Cal took him out, we imploded. Then Cal puts him back in expecting him to make a play in a tie game with 2 minutes left. And sorry, he was not in foul trouble. I think he finished with 3. He should have played more and Wagner less. Wagner is supposed to be a playmaker and he couldn’t even beat his man off the dribble, while Reed did. Not to mention the outside shooting.

Again, Cal overthinks shit to the detriment of the team. Been happening for years. Play the guy who has demonstrated before your very eyes that he is capable of making multiple big plays in a big time game. Not the guy who hasn’t proven squat. It’s real simple… for anyone but Cal.

Agree with you that we were kind of forced to play Edwards due to size. But I don’t agree with you about Reed vs Wagner. Normally, 25 minutes to 16 would not be a huge discrepancy *IF* the player who got the 25 minutes was actually producing. Reed was EXTREMELY productive in his minutes. Every time he was put in the game, we either came back to take the lead, or, if we already had the lead, we extended it. As soon as Cal took him out, we imploded. Then Cal puts him back in expecting him to make a play in a tie game with 2 minutes left. And sorry, he was not in foul trouble. I think he finished with 3. He should have played more and Wagner less. Wagner is supposed to be a playmaker and he couldn’t even beat his man off the dribble, while Reed did. Not to mention the outside shooting.

Again, Cal overthinks shit to the detriment of the team. Been happening for years. Play the guy who has demonstrated before your very eyes that he is capable of making multiple big plays in a big time game. Not the guy who hasn’t proven squat. It’s real simple… for anyone but Cal.
I think Reed played a sufficient amount. He also crumbled a bit down the stretch, so I highly doubt it would have won us the game playing him more. Reed also had 2 TOs and had been picking up bad fouls (not saying they were all correct calls) but he had that to deal with.

It's not quite that simple. We don't see what the coaches see everyday at practice. As I already pointed out, Reed had a couple of bad turnovers late when the game was on the line. He played like a freshman in that moment too. All KY people should be proud we finally have a KY kid that is going to be a solid player for us, but let's at least keep everything in perspective about him and the others.

I think Reed played a sufficient amount. He also crumbled a bit down the stretch, so I highly doubt it would have won us the game playing him more. Reed also had 2 TOs and had been picking up bad fouls (not saying they were all correct calls) but he had that to deal with.

It's not quite that simple. We don't see what the coaches see everyday at practice. As I already pointed out, Reed had a couple of bad turnovers late when the game was on the line. He played like a freshman in that moment too. All KY people should be proud we finally have a KY kid that is going to be a solid player for us, but let's at least keep everything in perspective about him and the others.

I will say this… I can’t remember Kentucky having a trio of guards who take care of the ball this well in a loooooong time. For them to all be freshmen is remarkable. If we can become a more efficient scoring team and not take dumb shots that are essentially turnovers, we will be very hard to beat cone tournament time. I have longed for a set of guards who value every possession — “first do no harm” type players, as I believe they are essential to March success. We appear to have them now.

Reactions: DelayableMil
I will say this… I can’t remember Kentucky having a trio of guards who take care of the ball this well in a loooooong time. For them to all be freshmen is remarkable. If we can become a more efficient scoring team and not take dumb shots that are essentially turnovers, we will be very hard to beat cone tournament time. I have longed for a set of guards who value every possession — “first do no harm” type players, as I believe they are essential to March success. We appear to have them now.
This should be a huge advantage in every game this year. We simply just seem to make great passes and our players all seem to have good hands. It's been remarkable so far. Especially when you factor our lightening pace.

Sadly, Reeves was the most guilty of taking way too many shots. But, I do maintain it wasn't entirely his fault as the entire team started deferring to him in the 2nd half. That's pretty typical of a younger team trying to figure it out.

I'm actually a lot more concerned about Edwards than Wagner. I can see what Wagner 'can' be good at, and I think Cal figures out how to use him. With Edwards, I don't see what he's going to give us. The college level seems way too much for him, IMO.
I’ll admit it. I would feel better about Edwards if I hadn’t seen how Whitney and Livingston played out .

Kid needs breakfast club tutelage from Ulis...concentrate now on dimes and quit forcing...we have plenty of shooters and need a consistent straw to stir the drink.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT