ADVERTISEMENT

An imposter at UK's practices?

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Reactions: UKrazycat2
And, "He's got a ways to go." That statement takes a little away from the positive. It always is a challenge to differentiate coach speak and encouragement to what may be reality. But, it would be great if there was significant improvement.

There is a lot of excitement over the new recruits, but every year we have seen Freshman growing pains too. So, someone who has a season under their belt and can contribute might be a great asset.

Watched Cals presser yesterday and he said people won't even recognize Humphries he's that much better or something along those lines. Guess that's the statements this article is referring to.

Reactions: BBUK
Even if he can just get in there and play a role for extended minutes it would be huge for this team.

I loved some of the stuff he did last year, notably offensive rebounding. He has the proverbial nose for the ball. Otherwise he has to kind of reinvent (or in his case just invent himself; he's so young) himself to contribute on a regular basis.

It sounds like he's in the process of doing that. If he does it would satisfy one of the two big questions marks about this team, the other obviously being shooting the basketball.

It does sound like the young Aussie has made a miraculous transformation. I'm eager to see him in action on the court.

2ymf8kk.jpg

Last edited:
And, "He's got a ways to go." That statement takes a little away from the positive. It always is a challenge to differentiate coach speak and encouragement to what may be reality. But, it would be great if there was significant improvement.

There is a lot of excitement over the new recruits, but every year we have seen Freshman growing pains too. So, someone who has a season under their belt and can contribute might be a great asset.
Cal probably threw that in there to keep fan expectations tempered a little and not put too much pressure on him.

And like I've said many times before, without Humphries play last year we don't beat Duke, and we aren't in a position to win that game at A&M.
it was something great that we didn't dwell on. humphries basically took allen out of the game mentally right at the start. he didn't recover either and we basically cruised in the second half. under normal circumstances we figured the refs would put him on the line a lot. that didn't happen thanks to humphries. crazy at it sounds.

Reactions: Kycatspaws
Humphries has something you can't teach a guy his size ( soft hands and a little touch shooting ). Besides his frame that is his best attributes. Grab my an offensive rebound and laying it back in or getting fouled and hitting your shots.

Yeah, people should always be wary of these preseason reports. They almost always overhype things.

If Humphries turns out to be as improved as the stories have said he is, then we will be even more dangerous. One of my biggest worries going into the season was how good our bigs will be after Bam and DW, but if Hump has truly upped his game, then that will help alleviate that worry.

Going to be very interesting. I think he's gotten better by doubt he's gotten 12pts 10reb better (would be great if he did) I tend to not expect too much that way I'm not that disappointed rather be like some fans who expect much more than they should. If Hump plays like Dakari did when Dakari was a freshman I'll be very happy with that. The main thing I hope is that he is in Great shape because with Bam, Fox,Briscoe, and Monk Uk will be a up and down team.

A couple of things to remember:

1. The new rules allow coaches to have more structured instruction in the summer, so this is a better assessment of Humphries than just your typical "summer pickup game legend" like Carrier, Pilgrim, etc.

2. Humphries is playing this summer against NBA guys like KAT while Pilgrim was dominating Perry Stevenson back in the day. Big difference.

While I am excited, I will temper my expectations. 12 and 10 would be amazing. I just can't see that happening. I think half that would really be all we could hope for with all the talent around him. 6 and 5 in around 20 minutes a game would be pretty good.

lol of course, anything positive people are going to downplay it.. The kid showed flashes last year especially at Texas A&M. He is a 7'0 with skills, it's not like he some walk on or something coach cal is trying to hype up.

I don't know why people think it's impossible for a player to improved year to year, not everyone is One and Done. Hump is just on a normal process.

So who do you take one-on-one, summer Humphries or summer Pilgrim? Would this be the beastliest matchup in history?
Is this a serious question? No doubt about it you take pilgrim! The guy came from Hampton which is tough to play at with its history and elite status. No doubt in my mind when pilgrim finally does play here he will be the greatest player to ever play at kentucky

I don't expect 12/10 from Hump, but I do expect noticeable improvement and for him to be a good big on our team. Maybe 9/6 or 9/7? That's taking into account how gifted many other players on this team are at scoring.

I will go on the record as saying that if he can get 20mpg, he averages 6ppg and 5rpg.

That would be a fair amount of improvement since he only averaged 9mpg last year averaging 1.9ppg and 2.4rpg. That's double his minutes with triple the amount of points and twice the rebounds. I think that is realistic.

12ppg and 10rpg would be an incredible jump in production. if he produces like that, we are in for one magical year, most likely. That or the Freshmen were not as advertised and we have a tough year where Humphries has to carry us.

Reactions: BleedinBlue85
I will go on the record as saying that if he can get 20mpg, he averages 6ppg and 5rpg.

That would be a fair amount of improvement since he only averaged 9mpg last year averaging 1.9ppg and 2.4rpg. That's double his minutes with triple the amount of points and twice the rebounds. I think that is realistic.

12ppg and 10rpg would be an incredible jump in production. if he produces like that, we are in for one magical year, most likely. That or the Freshmen were not as advertised and we have a tough year where Humphries has to carry us.
Oh stop. You intentionally left out the sophomore jump and you know it.

Oh stop. You intentionally left out the sophomore jump and you know it.

Significantly increasing your minutes played (and also playing in every game, which I suspect he will), tripling your scoring average and doubling your rebounds, I think that is a pretty significant Sophomore jump.

10 and 12 for Humphries this season would not be a Sophomore jump, it would be a Sophomore moon launch!

I really hope I eat crow on this. A Humphries averaging a double-double would be sweet, because it's almost a guarantee that he will be no better than the fifth best player on the roster. That would likely mean five guys in double figures.

5ppg and 6rpg seems a little more realistic. An 8ppg, 8rpg season should be the high end of reasonable expectations, I would think. But I will gladly eat crow if Hump gets anywhere close to averaging a double-double.

I liked Humphries last year. I thought he played pretty well at times. I think he'll play more this year, especially if he's improved a lot on top of Lee transferring. I can't help but also wonder what's up with our other recruit from "down under", Wynyard. Seems like I've seen very little mention of him. Anyway with Humphries and Willis coming back, and our 3 5 star "big" recruits I'm hoping our front line will be better this coming season to go along with what looks to be another great backcourt.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Significantly increasing your minutes played (and also playing in every game, which I suspect he will), tripling your scoring average and doubling your rebounds, I think that is a pretty significant Sophomore jump.

10 and 12 for Humphries this season would not be a Sophomore jump, it would be a Sophomore moon launch!

I really hope I eat crow on this. A Humphries averaging a double-double would be sweet, because it's almost a guarantee that he will be no better than the fifth best player on the roster. That would likely mean five guys in double figures.

5ppg and 6rpg seems a little more realistic. An 8ppg, 8rpg season should be the high end of reasonable expectations, I would think. But I will gladly eat crow if Hump gets anywhere close to averaging a double-double.
Yeah... I was being sarcastic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT