ADVERTISEMENT

Another look at UK's transfer contributors

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
Before getting into this topic, I should initially say that UK's much-criticized OL played lights out yesterday. Ray Davis wasn't kidding when he gave credit to the BBW for his huge rushing day. Watching the taped replays, UK's OL opened huge running lanes for Davis. On Davis' longer runs, he ran untouched to the second level, and then cut back against the grain of pursuit toward open field at the third level. This was, at the least, the BBW's best performance since 2021. Props to our OL. They heard the criticisms, took the coaching, and played an inspired game against a UF defense that was #1 in the SEC until yesterday.

Now, Coach Stoops often receives justified praise for his opportunistic use of the transfer portal. A case in point is Ray Davis, who yesterday rushed for the 3rd-largest single game yardage total in UK football history and took control of the game. Prior to the season, some of our fans said we don't have a workhorse RB this year. WRONG.

The rebuilding of our OL is another remarkable achievement. LT Marques Cox and LG Dylan Ray have been big pieces of our OL's success. In particular, Ray's play has been terrific. Yesterday, Ray had a huge game. On the replays, you can see that Ray was dominant (and so were Eli Cox and Jager Burton). It is incredible that Ray didn't even have a scholarship at WV. No wonder he left Morgantown. Identifying and enticing Ray represents outstanding use of the portal and an impact piece of recruiting by UK's coaching staff.

At the same time, Marques Cox has been a very steady performer. Our play at LT has improved by leaps and bounds this season. I have begun to wonder what will happen when the Horseman returns. I don't see how Liam Coen can take Dylan Ray out of our lineup, but all of our linemen played great yesterday.

Courtland Ford hasn't yet had the impact of Dylan Ray or Marques Cox, but Ford has played well when he has gotten opportunities. Maybe the biggest thing Ford has done has been figuratively kicking Jeremy Flax in the butt and inspiring Flax to improve. So far, Flax has been a new player this year. Flax was outstanding yesterday, and I hope our fans saw that.

So far, former 4-star Tanner Bowles is a mop-up player who can't take snaps away from Dylan Ray or Eli Cox, which yet again tells a reality about star ratings that some posters still can't bring themselves to face. However, Bowles still has an opportunity to return for a COVID season in 2024 and work on his game. For now, he is a depth piece who hasn't been able to work his way into games before the outcome was determined.

DSK has made small contributions so far, but his speed, quickness, and great hands already stand out. To my eye, it is only a matter of time before DSK contributes more impact splash plays against SEC opponents. His ability to play RB or in the slot provides flexibility.

This brings me around to Devin Leary. I had a scary thought yesterday while watching Leary struggle. Of course, Leary missed most of the 2022 season and needed surgery on a torn chest wall muscle. Besides me, has anyone else noticed Leary's arm slot? Compared to what I have seen on film from Leary's earlier career, he has dropped his arm slot down. Maybe this is because of the surgery, or maybe it is just the long layoff. In any case, a low arm slot explains the inconsistent accuracy and, especially, all the high, sailing throws. This is potentially correctable, and I'm sure Coach Coen has noticed it. But it is a bad habit that will probably continue to affect Leary's consistency until a lot more work is done.

PK Alex Raynor has been remarkable. What else can I say?

On the defensive side, Keeshaun Silver has been much better than I expected. Throughout the spring and summer, I kept hearing that Silver was badly out of shape. If that was true, he has obviously addressed it. Of course, playing next to Deone Walker has helped Silver immensely. In the 3-3-5, defensive linemen occupy offensive blockers so LBs and safeties can make plays. Silver and Walker are occupying multiple blockers and controlling the point of attack consistently, while D'Eryk Jackson and Trevin Wallace clean up. Silver has been by far our most important defensive transfer.

JQ Hardaway is having a lot of trouble hanging in UK's CB playing rotation. Hardaway is young, and we have not seen the last of him. He has impressive physical tools, but this season has been a big jump for him. Hardaway still needs the game to slow down a little.

Daveren Rayner is primarily playing on special teams but should be back (with a bulked up frame) in 2024. For now, Rayner has been jumped by Martez Thrower and maybe freshman Jayvant Brown. Jantzen Dunn hasn't shown anything yet, another example that stars don't necessarily mean much. But Dunn also has the benefit of multiple years of eligibility and will have more opportunities.

Last edited:
Before getting into this topic, I should initially say that UK's much-criticized OL played lights out yesterday. Ray Davis wasn't kidding when he gave credit to the BBW for his huge rushing day. Watching the taped replays, UK's OL opened huge running lanes for Davis. On Davis' longer runs, he ran untouched to the second level, and then cut back against the grain of pursuit toward open field at the third level. This was, at the least, the BBW's best performance since 2021. Props to our OL. They heard the criticisms, took the coaching, and played an inspired game against a UF defense that was #1 in the SEC until yesterday.

Now, Coach Stoops often receives justified praise for his opportunistic use of the transfer portal. A case in point is Ray Davis, who yesterday rushed for the 3rd-largest single game yardage total in UK football history and took control of the game. Prior to the season, some of our fans said we don't have a workhorse RB this year. WRONG.

The rebuilding of our OL is another remarkable achievement. LT Marques Cox and LG Dylan Ray have been big pieces of our OL's success. In particular, Ray's play has been terrific. Yesterday, Ray had a huge game. On the replays, you can see that Ray was dominant (and so were Eli Cox and Jaden Burton). It is incredible that Ray didn't even have a scholarship at WV. No wonder he left Morgantown. Identifying and enticing Ray represents outstanding use of the portal and an impact piece of recruiting by UK's coaching staff.

At the same time, Marques Cox has been a very steady performer. Our play at LT has improved by leaps and bounds this season. I have begun to wonder what will happen when the Horseman returns. I don't see how Liam Coen can take Dylan Ray out of our lineup, but all of our linemen played great yesterday.

Courtland Ford hasn't yet had the impact of Dylan Ray or Marques Cox, but Ford has played well when he has gotten opportunities. Maybe the biggest thing Ford has done has been figuratively kicking Jeremy Flax in the butt and inspiring Flax to improve. So far, Flax has been a new player this year. Flax was outstanding yesterday, and I hope our fans saw that.

So far, former 4-star Tanner Bowles is a mop-up player who can't take snaps away from Dylan Ray or Eli Cox, which yet again tells a reality about star ratings that some posters still can't bring themselves to face. However, Bowles still has an opportunity to return for a COVID season in 2024 and work on his game. For now, he is a depth piece who hasn't been able to work his way into games before the outcome was determined.

DSK has made small contributions so far, but his speed, quickness, and great hands already stand out. To my eye, it is only a matter of time before DSK contributes more impact splash plays against SEC opponents. His ability to play RB or in the slot provides flexibility.

This brings me around to Devin Leary. I had a scary thought yesterday while watching Leary struggle. Of course, Leary missed most of the 2022 season and needed surgery on a torn chest wall muscle. Besides me, has anyone else noticed Leary's arm slot? Compared to what I have seen on film from Leary's earlier career, he has dropped his arm slot down. Maybe this is because of the surgery, or maybe it is just the long layoff. In any case, a low arm slot explains the inconsistent accuracy and, especially, all the high, sailing throws. This is potentially correctable, and I'm sure Coach Coen has noticed it. But it is a bad habit that will probably continue to affect Leary's consistency until a lot more work is done.

On the defensive side, Keeshaun Silver has been much better than I expected. Throughout the spring and summer, I kept hearing that Silver was badly out of shape. If that was true, he has obviously addressed it. Of course, playing next to Deone Walker has helped Silver immensely. In the 3-3-5, defensive linemen occupy offensive blockers so LBs and safeties can make plays. Silver and Walker are occupying multiple blockers and controlling the point of attack consistently, while D'Eryk Jackson and Trevin Wallace clean up. Silver has been by far our most important defensive transfer.

JQ Hardaway is having a lot of trouble hanging in UK's CB playing rotation. Hardaway is young, and we have not seen the last of him. He has impressive physical tools, but this season has been a big jump for him. Hardaway still needs the game to slow down a little.

Daveren Rayner is primarily playing on special teams but should be back (with a bulked up frame) in 2024. For now, Rayner has been jumped by Martez Thrower and maybe freshman Jayvant Brown. Jantzen Dunn hasn't shown anything yet, another example that stars don't necessarily mean much. But Dunn also has the benefit of multiple years of eligibility and will have more opportunities.

Totally agree re Dylan Ray. Thought the guy had a remarkable game vs UF, not sure Horsey can push him to the sidelines when he gets healthy. And I think Ray has 2 more years. M. Cox was solid, Flax has improved tremendously. Don't forget, the UF DL was highly regarded coming into this game and they were dominated by the BBW.

Know he's not a transfer and doesn't fall into the category of the topic at hand but Keaton Wade had a great game, really bodes well for the future.

The rebuilding of our OL is another remarkable achievement. LT Marques Cox and LG Dylan Ray have been big pieces of our OL's success. In particular, Ray's play has been terrific. Yesterday, Ray had a huge game. On the replays, you can see that Ray was dominant (and so were Eli Cox and Jaden Burton). It is incredible that Ray didn't even have a scholarship at WV. No wonder he left Morgantown. Identifying and enticing Ray represents outstanding use of the portal and an impact piece of recruiting by UK's coaching staff.

After watching him for 5 games, Ive definitely become leery of Leary.

Reactions: TysonD44
OP is one of the best posts I've read here. Well done.

Success breeds success. If the staff can go on to getting some of these transfer guys into the league, especially the linemen, then UK can become a preferred destination for big men. And that's how you build sustainable success.
Coach Schlarman had it going on, but it got sidetracked after his passing. Hopefully, we're back on track. If the big guys up front are getting it done, the skill players will follow.

GBB

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Know he's not a transfer and doesn't fall into the category of the topic at hand but Keaton Wade had a great game, really bodes well for the future.

Yes he sure did. Keaton has actually eaten into JJ Weaver's playing time just a little. Earlier in the season, they were replacing Afari with Keaton and transitioning from 3-3-5 to 3-4 situationally. Yesterday, Afari was outstanding and Keaton played more at Jack than usual. But Weaver played pretty well too. Weaver got his second sack of the season.

Success breeds success. If the staff can go on to getting some of these transfer guys into the league, especially the linemen, then UK can become a preferred destination for big men. And that's how you build sustainable success.
Coach Schlarman had it going on, but it got sidetracked after his passing. Hopefully, we're back on track. If the big guys up front are getting it done, the skill players will follow.

The skill players are already coming to UK. Wilcox, Mizell, Boley, Saunders, Porter, Gilmore. These are big pickups. I expect Rico Scott will flip to UK between now and December, and we still have a shot to sign Kamron Mikell.

Having said that, I think you are right. Getting beyond Coach Schlarman's passing has been difficult for our program. But yesterday's performance by our OL has to provide a lot of encouragement for any rational UK fan. I have been open about my concern over the Yenser hire, but any knowledgeable observer who has looked at yesterday's game tape must acknowledge it was the best performance by the BBW in multiple seasons. Someone is responsible for their game prep, and you have to give credit where it is due. Geez, they are missing the Horseman. But when I look at the way Dylan Ray, Marques Cox, and Jeremy Flax are playing, you just have to take your hat off to Yenser and acknowledge what he is accomplishing even if Coen is also one of the driving forces.

Which brings me back to the topic of our transfers. We live in the age of the portal, but I still believe we have to sign and develop hs offensive linemen instead of depending on transfers. More than any other position, offensive linemen require complicated prep and development over multiple years. You can plug holes on the roster through the portal, and Stoops is doing a great job of that. Finding Dylan Ray was a real stroke of genius. But we never know when the transfer rules will change again or there will be a lean year for transfers at positions of need. We need to recruit and sign SEC caliber OTs, and Yenser is still struggling with this. As you said, success tends to bring more success, especially for a coaching staff that does its homework. We need to flip an SEC caliber OT or two, because Nik Hall is not healthy and OT roster numbers are getting scary.

Davis should not be our first go to guy, reminds me how teams would anticipate benny snell at times.

I think Davis is our best option to get the ball for a first down though.

He's like several seconds ahead of the defense when he gets that football and runs.

I guess the O line has improved to allow Davis to shine.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND

This post is an instant classic ... one may describe it as a piece of art.

There is so much to be excited about for UK FB right now.

Solid post. I didn’t read it all cause it’s a book but good post. Stoops has an eye for talent, that can’t be denied.

you do a great job on this board but to discredit "internet rankings" as you call them is flawed
look at the teams that play for championships every year and their "internet rankings"
also look at this https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...18617865/five-star-recruits-nfl-draft-history

to discredit "internet rankings" as you call them is flawed
look at the teams that play for championships every year and their "internet rankings"

In your opinion. I don't agree, and I have previously presented pages of evidence. People believe what they want to believe. If you believe in online player ratings and class rankings, you have a right to that point of view, and chances are you won't be convinced to change your mind. But online ratings are for fans. Good coaching staffs perform their own evaluations, and I know from what Stoops and Marrow themselves have said that they don't give a hoot about online player ratings. And that's good enough for me.

Since you called my point of view "flawed", I will offer my candor in return. Actually, this link does not prove your point. If you have read it and believe it supports your perspective, you do not have a background in data analysis.

What is a "5 star"? What is a "4 star"? What is as "3 star?" I know Rivals' definitions, but these cohorts are not defined across the industry in a standardized fashion. Each website has its own definitions, its own methods, and its own evaluators. To a professional data analyst, those are nonstarters when it comes to a meta-analysis, which is what you are actually advocating whether or not you realize it. There are at least four major internet subscription websites that rate hs players on the star system. The ratings and methods of these four websites do not correlate. A player is a "4 star" on one website but a "3 star" on another. In the 2019 class, UK got a commitment from a player named Travis Tisdale out of Valdosta. At the time, one major website rated Tisdale as the top prospect in UK's class, another rated Tisdale in the middle level of UK's class, and still another website rated him near the bottom of UK's class. This is not a unique story. Ratings often vary from one website to another. Across different websites, player ratings widely varied for Matt Elam, Yusuf Corker, Tyrell Ajian, Jutahn McClain, and for many other Wildcats. If there is not a consensus on ratings or rating methods, how can ratings predict anything? Answer - they can't.

In the following lists, I will cover Stoops signees but not portal transfers or traditional redshirt transfers, just to keep it it manageable. Portal transfers are a skewed cohort because they get evaluated and recruited based on their college performances rather than their hs player evaluations or ratings, and college performers (rather than hs performers) are preferentially selected by better coaching staffs in better conferences that tend to produce better NFL prospects.

Stoops signees who were "4 stars"-

Alex Afari
Tyrell Ajian
Khamari Anderson
George Asafo-Adjei
Drew Barker
Grant Bingham
Barion Brown
Eli Brown
Jager Burton
Jared Casey
CJ Conrad
Dekel Crowdus
Kash Daniel
Moses Douglass
Michael Drennen
Matt Elam
Tyreese Fearbry
Jeremy Flax
Grant Godfrey
Jason Hatcher
Drake Jackson
Dane Key
Darian Kinnard
Chris Lewis
Marquan McCall
Marcus McWilson
Chris Oats
Josh Paschal
Shamar Porter
JaVonte Richardson
Justin Rogers
Za'Darius Smith
Ryan Timmons
Lloyd Tubman
Keaton Wade
Deone Walker
Trevin Wallace
Denzil Ware
JJ Weaver
Darius West
Boom Williams
Landon Young

Former Stoops players who actually played regular season snaps in the NFL-

Josh Ali
Josh Allen
Quinton Bohanna
Lynn Bowden
Jamin Davis
Brandin Echols
Mike Edwards
Luke Fortner
Lonnie Johnson
Marquan McCall
Chris Rodriguez
Za'Darius Smith
Benny Snell
Logan Stenberg
Carrington Valentine
Landon Young

Not counting transfers, a skewed cohort because of reasons explained above, 16 Stoops signees have played regular season NFL snaps. Of the 41 "4 stars" recruited and signed by Stoops, 4 have played regular season snaps in the NFL although only 3 of them were drafted. The two NFL 1st round draft choices from UK during Stoops' tenure have been a former 2 star (Josh Allen) and a low 3 star (Jamin Davis). Allen, the former 2 star, won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and was a consensus All American.

If you seriously look at the above list of Stoops' "4 stars", the reality really has to register on a reasonable observer. I have presented objective aspects of online player ratings here many times before. I know how this goes. You will not change your mind, because you will believe what you want to believe. But other people will also read this, and some of them will study all sides of the matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoBleedBlue
Leary is fine. Much of the perceived inaccuracy is actually on wr not seeing the correct holes in the zone. True he legit missed some throws this season but no one hits them all. He's generally right on the money.

The tipped passes for sure are an issue. He is what he is though in terms of height and delivery.

Dylan Ray was crucial. Imo he should play ahead of Jager when horsey returns.

Rayner looks good out there, our talent level is just really high. Tough to find the field. I actually like him better than fearbry or thrower, but he looks small

Ray Davis is the most important/irreplaceable player on our team imo

In your opinion. I don't agree, and I have previously presented pages of evidence. People believe what they want to believe. If you believe in online player ratings and class rankings, you have a right to that point of view, and chances are you won't be convinced to change your mind. But online ratings are for fans. Good coaching staffs perform their own evaluations, and I know from what Stoops and Marrow themselves have said that they don't give a hoot about online player ratings. And that's good enough for me.

Since you called my point of view "flawed", I will offer my candor in return. Actually, this link does not prove your point. If you have read it and believe it supports your perspective, you do not have a background in data analysis.

What is a "5 star"? What is a "4 star"? What is as "3 star?" I know Rivals' definitions, but these cohorts are not defined across the industry in a standardized fashion. Each website has its own definitions, its own methods, and its own evaluators. To a professional data analyst, those are nonstarters when it comes to a meta-analysis, which is what you are actually advocating whether or not you realize it. There are at least four major internet subscription websites that rate hs players on the star system. The ratings and methods of these four websites do not correlate. A player is a "4 star" on one website but a "3 star" on another. In the 2019 class, UK got a commitment from a player named Travis Tisdale out of Valdosta. At the time, one major website rated Tisdale as the top prospect in UK's class, another rated Tisdale in the middle level of UK's class, and still another website rated him near the bottom of UK's class. This is not a unique story. Ratings often vary from one website to another. Across different websites, player ratings widely varied for Matt Elam, Yusuf Corker, Tyrell Ajian, Jutahn McClain, and for many other Wildcats. If there is not a consensus on ratings or rating methods, how can ratings predict anything? Answer - they can't.

In the following lists, I will cover Stoops signees but not portal transfers or traditional redshirt transfers, just to keep it it manageable. Portal transfers are a skewed cohort because they get evaluated and recruited based on their college performances rather than their hs player evaluations or ratings, and college performers (rather than hs performers) are preferentially selected by better coaching staffs in better conferences that tend to produce better NFL prospects.

Alex Afari
Tyrell Ajian
Khamari Anderson
George Asafo-Adjei
Drew Barker
Grant Bingham
Barion Brown
Eli Brown
Jager Burton
Jared Casey
CJ Conrad
Dekel Crowdus
Kash Daniel
Moses Douglass
Michael Drennen
Matt Elam
Tyreese Fearbry
Jeremy Flax
Grant Godfrey
Jason Hatcher
Drake Jackson
Dane Key
Darian Kinnard
Chris Lewis
Marquan McCall
Marcus McWilson
Chris Oats
Josh Paschal
Shamar Porter
JaVonte Richardson
Justin Rogers
Za'Darius Smith
Ryan Timmons
Lloyd Tubman
Keaton Wade
Deone Walker
Trevin Wallace
Denzil Ware
JJ Weaver
Darius West
Boom Williams
Landon Young

Josh Ali
Josh Allen
Quinton Bohanna
Lynn Bowden
Jamin Davis
Brandin Echols
Mike Edwards
Luke Fortner
Lonnie Johnson
Marquan McCall
Chris Rodriguez
Za'Darius Smith
Benny Snell
Logan Stenberg
Carrington Valentine
Landon Young

Not counting transfers, a skewed cohort because of reasons explained above, 16 Stoops signees have played regular season NFL snaps. Of the 41 "4 stars" recruited and signed by Stoops, 4 have played regular season snaps in the NFL although only 3 of them were drafted. The two NFL 1st round draft choices from UK during Stoops' tenure have been a former 2 star (Josh Allen) and a low 3 star (Jamin Davis). Allen, the former 2 star, won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and was a consensus All American.

If you seriously look at the above list of Stoops' "4 stars", the reality really has to register on a reasonable observer. I have presented objective aspects of online player ratings here many times before. I know how this goes. You will not change your mind, because you will believe what you want to believe. But other people will also read this, and some of them will study all sides of the matter.
Dude came with receipts today.

Obviously, the teams with the most stars usually win championships but you're right it's all over the place depending on who's doing the ranking. Three of our very highest rated recruits in the Stoops Era have done very little to nothing, Elam was a nice kid but a non-factor all 4-years, Kiyaunta Goodwin left us, left Florida and now has decided to take a break (I don't think his heart is in it) and Rogers was an ok player who transferred to Auburn but was never the player he was expected to be.

LSU had 50+ 4-5 stars on their team in 2021, the only SEC teams with more stars were Alabama and Georgia and we blew that LSU team out. I read several years ago Bob Stoops talking about his national title team at Oklahoma, that the class (I think from the year before he got there) that was the backbone of that team, 13 starters and over 60% of the plays was a class was ranked anywhere from 30-36 at the time. He said there have been several Top 10 classes that never achieved anything like what that class did so he never put a lot of stock into class rankings.

Yes he sure did. Keaton has actually eaten into JJ Weaver's playing time just a little. Earlier in the season, they were replacing Afari with Keaton and transitioning from 3-3-5 to 3-4 situationally. Yesterday, Afari was outstanding and Keaton played more at Jack than usual. But Weaver played pretty well too. Weaver got his second sack of the season.

The skill players are already coming to UK. Wilcox, Mizell, Boley, Saunders, Porter, Gilmore. These are big pickups. I expect Rico Scott will flip to UK between now and December, and we still have a shot to sign Kamron Mikell.

Having said that, I think you are right. Getting beyond Coach Schlarman's passing has been difficult for our program. But yesterday's performance by our OL has to provide a lot of encouragement for any rational UK fan. I have been open about my concern over the Yenser hire, but any knowledgeable observer who has looked at yesterday's game tape must acknowledge it was the best performance by the BBW in multiple seasons. Someone is responsible for their game prep, and you have to give credit where it is due. Geez, they are missing the Horseman. But when I look at the way Dylan Ray, Marques Cox, and Jeremy Flax are playing, you just have to take your hat off to Yenser and acknowledge what he is accomplishing even if Coen is also one of the driving forces.

Which brings me back to the topic of our transfers. We live in the age of the portal, but I still believe we have to sign and develop hs offensive linemen instead of depending on transfers. More than any other position, offensive linemen require complicated prep and development over multiple years. You can plug holes on the roster through the portal, and Stoops is doing a great job of that. Finding Dylan Ray was a real stroke of genius. But we never know when the transfer rules will change again or there will be a lean year for transfers at positions of need. We need to recruit and sign SEC caliber OTs, and Yenser is still struggling with this. As you said, success tends to bring more success, especially for a coaching staff that does its homework. We need to flip an SEC caliber OT or two, because Nik Hall is not healthy and OT roster numbers are getting scary.
I would LOVE for Rico Scott to flip but Ive heard it’s a long shot despite Stone Saunders being in his ear . Rico would be here at least 2 year’s before Saunders probably sees the field. Plus , unlike Barion Brown, he is a top priority recruit for Alabama . Supposedly the No.1 wideout on their board . He also has an official visit to Alabama remaining . Evidently Scott made the comment “this is the place to be “ , which is great but people are maybe reading too much into that .

I would LOVE for Rico Scott to flip but Ive heard it’s a long shot despite Stone Saunders being in his ear . Rico would be here at least 2 year’s before Saunders probably sees the field. Plus , unlike Barion Brown, he is a top priority recruit for Alabama . Supposedly the No.1 wideout on their board . He also has an official visit to Alabama remaining .
Great, he can go to Tuscaloosa and see how he would be used.....blocking downfield as Milroe scrambles

Saunders' influence is more than 'go there i will be your QB'. he committed way early to UK because of the family relationship with Coen. Now they are trying to extend that same connection and relationship to Rico.

Great, he can go to Tuscaloosa and see how he would be used.....blocking downfield as Milroe scrambles

Saunders' influence is more than 'go there i will be your QB'. he committed way early to UK because of the family relationship with Coen. Now they are trying to extend that same connection and relationship to Rico.
Hope you are right. I personally have no idea. Just posting a little “insider” information (that I’m not supposed to do) .

Back to the transfers review. I was so wrong about Ray Davis, figured he was just OK, that our run game in 2023 would be a committee of Davis & McClain & Jefferson & Wilcox. He is a stud! Feed him 25 times a game!

I thought Courtland Ford would be day 1 starter at RT. To his credit, Flax answered the challenge, and is playing very well. So that transfer fixed the RT problem, just not the way I expected.

AQ Hardaway is another I thought would instantly grab a starting spot. He's providing good depth at cb.

Silver, I was a huge fan of his from day 1. North Carolina was just an incompetent D development and poor S&C staff. At the end of 2022 Mack wanted to move Silver to O line guard. He's been great next to Walker. And both back for 2024!

Stoops might not be heralded by CFB media as a Portal King, but he nails them so freaking well.

Reactions: TysonD44 and jauk11
AQ Hardaway

Surprised how poorly he's shown so far. Robinson moved ahead of him. He has some really nice length but doesn't look like he wants to stick his nose in when it comes time to tackle or run fit. Hopefully he overcomes it because he has some nice tools

Alex Afari
Tyrell Ajian
Khamari Anderson
George Asafo-Adjei
Drew Barker
Grant Bingham
Barion Brown
Eli Brown
Jager Burton
Jared Casey
CJ Conrad
Dekel Crowdus
Kash Daniel
Moses Douglass
Michael Drennen
Matt Elam
Tyreese Fearbry
Jeremy Flax
Grant Godfrey
Jason Hatcher
Drake Jackson
Dane Key
Darian Kinnard
Chris Lewis
Marquan McCall
Marcus McWilson
Chris Oats
Josh Paschal
Shamar Porter
JaVonte Richardson
Justin Rogers
Za'Darius Smith
Ryan Timmons
Lloyd Tubman
Keaton Wade
Deone Walker
Trevin Wallace
Denzil Ware
JJ Weaver
Darius West
Boom Williams
Landon Young

Josh Ali
Josh Allen
Quinton Bohanna
Lynn Bowden
Jamin Davis
Brandin Echols
Mike Edwards
Luke Fortner
Lonnie Johnson
Marquan McCall
Chris Rodriguez
Za'Darius Smith
Benny Snell
Logan Stenberg
Carrington Valentine
Landon Young

what percent of 3 star recruits make it to the NFL
i gave you the percent of 5 star recruits which is not my opinion but fact
with that said i think Stoops does a great job at finding lower ranked recruits that contribute
but the reality is UK can not compete year in, year out with UGA, Bama, Ohio ST. with 3 star recruits
we all see which teams play for championships and their "internet rankings"
i do think if Stoops stays at UK (which i think he will) he will start getting more elite talent

JQ Hardaway is an interesting situation. It seems that Jordan Robinson (another transfer / another fairly unknown transfer from a small college) has grabbed that 3rd corner spot. It appears to me when we are in the nickel in down / distance passing situation, Robinson comes in to take the field corner and Dru slides over to the slot with Maxwell at the boundary (I think this was the scheme for Wallace's interception). Robinson has great size (like JQ) and has had a year under White to learn the culture and the system - so far, he seems to be dependable and reliable there - his snap count the last couple of games compared to what I expected blows my hair back.

Now I am not one of these fans that cannot compliment one player without diminishing another as I think JQ has a bright future here if he keeps his head down and keeps learning and grinding. When two players are competing for one slot, the one that loses that specific competition isn't necessarily a loser. However, the emergence of Robinson has been notable.

First, it prevents the necessity of one of our safeties playing in nickel - so far, our 3 safeties share snaps at the two positions among the three of them, which bodes well for the likelihood of keeping them fresh and available into the back half of our very tough schedule - this is extra important considering Geiger is coming off a serious knee injury. If JQ is just not ready, then it is likely that those three safeties would all be playing in nickel.

Second, it shows how good Stoops and company are at identifying DB talent. When we signed Robinson, there were the regular "who is this bum from nowhere college who didn't have many stars when he was in high school - we will never win championships if we can't recruit the top guys" Just another data point of our coaches doing their own evals and often being proven correct. Again, I really like JQ and am not putting him down, but here is a fairly unknown and unheralded player from both high school and as a college transfer earning big-time snaps in a crucial, big-time game over a consensus 4-star who held offers from Georgia, USC....and on and on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT