ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur Athletics is officially dead.

I don't get this greed talk.

If I do something that makes other people a lot of money--I want to get some of the money. There's nothing immoral about wanting to make money.

Kids were going to play in developmental leagues and overseas. Now the best of the best are coming to college. Guys that would have rushed to the NBA are staying longer.

I think it's led to a better product on the floor.

Some people just have this big mental block that the kids aren't doing it "for the university."
This philosophical argument works both ways. Universities could argue that they provide the platform, facilities, resources, support, coaching, and development that allow players to become professional athletes and make millions of dollars. Should the universities have claim to part of those millions of dollars because they did something that helped the player ultimately make a bunch of money?

Yeah but you know if Colleges have to pass out 22 mil to players in the past and start paying players now, the college will try every way to make up that money. Football, basketball tickets will go up. Other sports not so much as they do not make money in the first place. Football and Basketball will have to continue to carry the load for the athletic budgets. Only way to stop that would be to make the football team a representative of KENTUCKY and basketball but no totally associated with said university. In other words (Semi pro teams, which is what they all now are) and the team sends the players to the university as part of the package, but are not associated.
As much as I love UK, I hope they say "this isn't what we're about. Education first, here." And then close the sports programs and go all out on the education front. Since the athletes aren't here to earn an education, it shouldn't bother them. Let the Fruit League figure this out.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and OleBum
This philosophical argument works both ways. Universities could argue that they provide the platform, facilities, resources, support, coaching, and development that allow players to become professional athletes and make millions of dollars. Should the universities have claim to part of those millions of dollars because they did something that helped the player ultimately make a bunch of money?
I mean, they always have and still do. This new settlement just means the players will get a piece of the pie instead of the schools and administrators getting 100% of the revenue.

Players will know receive direct payments from universities if a judge approves (which they will).

College Sports as we know it is dead.
It’s as foolish and a logistical nightmare as it is selfish and greedy and it’s gonna ruin college sports. Not much more to be said than that. Course you could say that for just about everything in this country right now so sports is a low priority

Last edited:
I haven’t seen the law work much in anyone’s favor these days. Hell it took three videos and a EPSN reporter to get a millionaire golfer off the hook from police incompetence. Imagine what happens to everyday folks. System is effed man.
If that was you or me we would still be in jail or wearing an ankle monitor.

High school is next. Some of those athletes pack the gyms too.

Eh, I don't see high school athletics bringing in near enough money to justify doing any paid compensation of players across the board. NIL will definitely trickle to that level, though, and already has.

Greed is good….to a degree. It’s ok to be a little selfish. What we are seeing in America now is insatiable greed. Soaring corporate profits and now this. I’m all for capitalism. But damn our priorities are eight now up. Companies are sucking America dry and not putting back into it like they used too.
Looking at you oil companies

You missed the whole point.
You’re actually right that I misinterpreted what that post was trying to say, but re-reading it, the point they were actually making (that colleges could logically be entitled to a piece of NBA and NFL salaries because they provided a chance for career advancement prior to the players getting those contracts) is a far more extreme strawman than what I initially rebutted. That’s not even close to being a fair comparison.

I don't get this greed talk.

If I do something that makes other people a lot of money--I want to get some of the money. There's nothing immoral about wanting to make money.

Kids were going to play in developmental leagues and overseas. Now the best of the best are coming to college. Guys that would have rushed to the NBA are staying longer.

I think it's led to a better product on the floor.

Some people just have this big mental block that the kids aren't doing it "for the university."
It is crazy that some think college athletes shouldn't be paid even though they are the ones with the marketable skills.

Reactions: Cats192
You’re actually right that I misinterpreted what that post was trying to say, but re-reading it, the point they were actually making (that colleges could logically be entitled to a piece of NBA and NFL salaries because they provided a chance for career advancement prior to the players getting those contracts) is a far more extreme strawman than what I initially rebutted. That’s not even close to being a fair comparison.
Missed it again.

It isn't that the universities are the only ones who can provide the platform. If they didn't something else would provide the means for them to perform and the money would follow them. Basically, the universities need the athletes more than the athletes need them. Why is it that basketball and football are the only two major sports that places so many restrictions on individuals who want to get paid for their skills? The system is designed to enable universities, coaches, and the NCAA to make money on these kids before they are allowed to be paid their true market value. Basically, it is a tax or shakedown that the athlete must indirectly pay in order to play.

Last edited:
Players will be employees. Employees get to take their training and experience with them when they move on to a new job for better pay and their prior employer gets nothing.

I mean are they really marketable skills? Sports viewership is steadily declining. People in large numbers are sick of the greed and don’t wanna watch or go anymore they’re finding other things to do
I don’t get the “greed” argument used against the players here. The money is there, and the argument is about how to divide and distribute it. The players aren’t any more greedy for wanting a share than the administrators and coaches have been my entire life for using that revenue to make a comfortable and many cases straight up wealthy career while trying to ensure that the players never saw a dime.

If that was you or me we would still be in jail or wearing an ankle monitor.
WAIT JUST A BLEEPING MINUTE!!!! Surely, this board hasn't developed a concern about the inappropriate treatment of people by bad cops.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dakid_0812
I mean are they really marketable skills? Sports viewership is steadily declining. People in large numbers are sick of the greed and don’t wanna watch or go anymore they’re finding other things to do
They should be sick of overpaid coaches like Cal who started mailing it in after his big pay day.

Reactions: susan2361
I have no doubt players in the past were done dirty and deserved to be paid but now it's gone to the other extreme where they are overpaid and have all the power.
It is the price paid for the exploitation of athletes for way too long.

I mean, they always have and still do. This new settlement just means the players will get a piece of the pie instead of the schools and administrators getting 100% of the revenue.
The problem I have is how much these kids are wanting. We seriously need an amateur league OUTSIDE OF college. Let the kids go there and play for keeps and an NBA dream. Are schools really just about entertaining adults who aren't in school? We're going to find out.

It is the price paid for the exploitation of athletes for way too long.
Then take away their scholarships since they aren't there for an education anyway. Make them pay for their own schooling out of the funds they get for playing for the school. If they're okay doing that, then they'll get a degree. If not, then they made money while they were here, and did their fair share.

As much as I love UK, I hope they say "this isn't what we're about. Education first, here." And then close the sports programs and go all out on the education front. Since the athletes aren't here to earn an education, it shouldn't bother them. Let the Fruit League figure this out.
If it is about education first, education and athletics should be separated from each other. No one could have ever imagined that college athletics would turn into the money maker that it is. Now that it has occurred, there has to be an equitable distribution of the cash to those who are the main attraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
Then take away their scholarships since they aren't there for an education anyway. Make them pay for their own schooling out of the funds they get for playing for the school. If they're okay doing that, then they'll get a degree. If not, then they made money while they were here, and did their fair share.
How about just separating athletics from college? It isn't the athlete's fault that there is a collusion of forces to require athletes who have no interest in college to have to use it as a tool to get to the NBA/NFL.

Just no way UK walks away from SEC contract at this point. That money pays for so many things at UK. Plus it will only get more with extra teams, extra market and so forth.

How about just separating athletics from college? It isn't the athlete's fault that there is a collusion of forces to require athletes who have no interest in college to have to use it as a tool to get to the NBA/NFL.
Take away the WILDCATS from UK and you lose 40% of the fans right off the bat. Look at any semi pro kind of team in any kind of sport. No fans = death of any league. SEC - BIG 10 have to get together and figure out what is the best path, people way above any or our pay grades.

Take away the WILDCATS from UK and you lose 40% of the fans right off the bat. Look at any semi pro kind of team in any kind of sport. No fans = death of any league. SEC - BIG 10 have to get together and figure out what is the best path, people way above any or our pay grades.
It is time to face the music. The day of exploiting athletes for peanuts is over. SINS OF THE FATHER!! It is laughable that some universities were creating worthless classes for worthless degrees just to keep some players eligible. By the time the athletes realized the extent to which they had been exploited, the damage was done.

Reactions: westerncat
It is hyperbolic at minimum, and borderline insane in reality, to compare the situation college athletes are in versus actual victims of slavery and human trafficking.

College athletes are in a bad business deal, with schools using scholarship contracts to deprive them of the full value of their labor in the free market. Examples of other onerous contractual provisions in the employment context are broadly construed assignment of invention and non-competition clauses. Some employers also use their unequal bargaining power to force potential employees to sign overly broad NDAs, that cover matters far afield from trade secrets or proprietary client or company information.

Bad business deals, although unfair in many ways, are still not slavery. The good news is that players will be getting a better deal and a cut of lucrative TV contracts. The downside is that the current NCAA framework is likely unsustainable in the long run. Programs will need to operate more like school affiliated professional club teams, with all that that entails.

I also agree that as we have known it, college sports are fundamentally on life support.
I've thought for some time now that school affiliated club teams could be a sound solution. It could work like the NBA, with the NCAA in the role of the NBA and the teams each being a member. You could basically put in whatever rules you want, e.g., players could still be required to be students at the affiliated schools and maintain passing grades, 5 years to play 4, codes of conduct, salary caps based on percentages of revenue, etc., because now they are under contract. Players could still do their own NIL stuff - just like the players in the NBA.

There's always going to be some issue raised with any method suggested, but I think the school affiliated club teams can work out most issues (including Title IX).

I've thought for some time now that school affiliated club teams could be a sound solution. It could work like the NBA, with the NCAA in the role of the NBA and the teams each being a member. You could basically put in whatever rules you want, e.g., players could still be required to be students at the affiliated schools and maintain passing grades, 5 years to play 4, codes of conduct, salary caps based on percentages of revenue, etc., because now they are under contract. Players could still do their own NIL stuff - just like the players in the NBA.

There's always going to be some issue raised with any method suggested, but I think the school affiliated club teams can work out most issues (including Title IX).
Your construct of such a system is only so that universities are able to continue making cash based on the skills of the players. Players shouldn't have to go to college just to develop their God given talents. Believe it or not, players are real people who are not here just for our entertainment. They want to and should be able to maximize their money-making skills without unnecessary restrictions just as non-athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT