ADVERTISEMENT

All four ESPN experts pick UT to win Saturday

I agree with Thompson:
That’s cool. I like this team better when people pick against them. Read the rest of the predictions at the link below.

Reactions: jace2012
I don't see it. LSU beat UK because they had a bogus no-call and multiple athletic bigs that gave us trouble. Tennessee has Williams who isn't going to block shots and plays below the rim.
And Reid Travis plays below the rim. A lot more to worry about then Williams. Schofield, Bone and Bowden are the ones I worry about. UK should be favored and I think they win, but UT is the real deal at all positions.

I don't see it. LSU beat UK because they had a bogus no-call and multiple athletic bigs that gave us trouble. Tennessee has Williams who isn't going to block shots and plays below the rim.
If feels like LSU played one of their best games, UK played one of its worst games lately, and it still came down to a last-second bogus controversial call. I do think we can and will beat Tennessee. The key is we have to play with more energy on defense the entire game.

And Reid Travis plays below the rim. A lot more to worry about then Williams. Schofield, Bone and Bowden are the ones I worry about. UK should be favored and I think they win, but UT is the real deal at all positions.
Yes, Travis does. That hurt us Tueday, but it won't Saturday.

Tennessee is good team, but we match up to them much better. They haven't been that impressive the last week or two.

Reactions: loublue22
Haven’t been that impressive the last week or two??? We beat South Carolina twice, fla, mizzou, and tamu by an average of 15 pts......

Reactions: VFL1970
Of course it is hard to predict. We seem to experience guys who haven't been lighting it up from 3 suddently find their touch. So if the Admiral is now hitting from the outside, Williams is controlling the paint and we can't stop drives to the basket once again, it will not be good. I keep saying our best bet is a grind out game. In fact, I wish Cal would put in a new rule there are to be no 3's taken by us for the first 10 minutes unless completly wide open after a touch first in the paint. We start slow and simply miss too many we need to be physical. Herro needs to get to the line. We have 3 low post players we can attack Williams with and to me this is a Kenny Payne type game where whomever controls the boards is the winner.

Also, I am tired of these complaints about the no call with LSU. We were extremely lucky to have even tied the damn game and who is to say that we would have won in overtime. LSU kicked our butts the second half and that was even including their foul trouble. Our guards could not stay in front of their man, and to not be able to stop a guy driving all the way from one end of the court to the basket with 6 seconds left was pathetic.

Of course it is hard to predict. We seem to experience guys who haven't been lighting it up from 3 suddently find their touch. So if the Admiral is now hitting from the outside, Williams is controlling the paint and we can't stop drives to the basket once again, it will not be good. I keep saying our best bet is a grind out game. In fact, I wish Cal would put in a new rule there are to be no 3's taken by us for the first 10 minutes unless completly wide open after a touch first in the paint. We start slow and simply miss too many we need to be physical. Herro needs to get to the line. We have 3 low post players we can attack Williams with and to me this is a Kenny Payne type game where whomever controls the boards is the winner.

Also, I am tired of these complaints about the no call with LSU. We were extremely lucky to have even tied the damn game and who is to say that we would have won in overtime. LSU kicked our butts the second half and that was even including their foul trouble. Our guards could not stay in front of their man, and to not be able to stop a guy driving all the way from one end of the court to the basket with 6 seconds left was pathetic.
Cats won 10 while beating some good teams in that stretch. Believe me, they wouldn’t have won 10 in a row with your no 3’s allowed in first 10 minute rule.

Haven’t been that impressive the last week or two??? We beat South Carolina twice, fla, mizzou, and tamu by an average of 15 pts......
I haven’t been impressed with that nasty ass suck orange bunch if fifty years !! You think I am going to start now just because they’re going to have a good year or two and then go back to the middle to the bottom of the SEC , I don’t think so moron !

You missed his point entirely. Travis playing below the rim has nothing to do with the defense that UT and LSU play.

You missed his point entirely. Travis playing below the rim has nothing to do with the defense that UT and LSU play.
I got his point completely. A lot more to worry about than Williams. He’s the only UT player he mentioned.

I got his point completely. A lot more to worry about than Williams. He’s the only UT player he mentioned.
No. My point had nothing to do with UT and their offense. I was speaking about why LSU was able to handle us offensively. Tennessee doesn't have anyone athletic or long on the inside like LSU.

Reactions: EliteBlue
No. My point had nothing to do with UT and their offense. I was speaking about why LSU was able to handle us offensively. Tennessee doesn't have anyone athletic or long on the inside like LSU.
We aren’t as long as LSU, but Kyle Alexander is 6’ 11”

I would expect the experts to pick UT. They are #1 for a reason. They should win this game being the #1 team in the country. UK has shot around 60% from the free throw line and 29% from three in the last two games. They allowed MSU to climb back into the game after being up by 18 and did the same thing with LSU. Those are lapses that will get them beat against Tennessee tomorrow.

UK needs to play their A+ game to win and not have defensive and offensive breakdowns leading to silly turnovers and poor shot selection. UT is poised and experienced and will not be rattled at Rupp. It will be a real test of how much these guys want to win and how mentally tough they are.

Hoping for a huge effort from the team tomorrow...GBB!

I would expect the experts to pick UT. They are #1 for a reason. They should win this game being the #1 team in the country. UK has shot around 60% from the free throw line and 29% from three in the last two games. They allowed MSU to climb back into the game after being up by 18 and did the same thing with LSU. Those are lapses that will get them beat against Tennessee tomorrow.

UK needs to play their A+ game to win and not have defensive and offensive breakdowns leading to silly turnovers and poor shot selection. UT is poised and experienced and will not be rattled at Rupp. It will be a real test of how much these guys want to win and how mentally tough they are.

Hoping for a huge effort from the team tomorrow...GBB!
Majority of media picking UK to win. 5 out of the 6 on CBS site do. Also, Cats are favored. Will be an upset if UT pulls it off at Rupp

did you say grant williams does not block shots? he is an excellent shot blocker.....he has five more blocked shots than anybody on kentuckys team

alexander had 46 and williams has 38.....kentuckys leading shot blocker has 33

williams has 143 blocked shots so far at tennessee

Last edited:

Williams doesn’t play below the rim. He is in the top 10 in blocks in the SEC. we are the leading shot blocking team in the conference. Good luck

In general, I am not a glass-half-empty kind of fan. But I am not blind either. This team rebounds well, shoots free throws well, and doesn't turn the ball over very much. That's the good news. But, they are prone to get stagnant offensively, and they sometimes get outworked by opponents. We just don't have enough good offensive possessions. It has been fairly rare for this team to put together 2 halves of aggressive, fundamently sound basketball. As far as it goes, 20-4 is a solid record against the schedule we have faced. But particulars of our 4 losses tell a mixed story. Duke is a very good team, but Duke has not been blowing out the better teams on its schedule the way they blew us out. We were flat in the loss to Seton Hall, probably because our younger players were too easily distracted by the trip to the Big Apple. We never should have lost to Alabama, but we played flat and didn't put forth real effort until late in the 2nd half. We played flat again in the 2nd half of the loss to LSU, and it looked like our younger players got caught looking ahead to Tennessee. Talent-wise, we have a really good basketball team. But we are getting outworked. Tennessee will play hard for 40 minutes. For us to won this game, we must do likewise for a change.

Reactions: lz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT