ADVERTISEMENT

All BBN will ever have is hope.

VFO

Blue Chip Prospect
Jun 24, 2004
Hope a group of freshmen will click like 2012. Hope maybe we will have an upper class leader like Miller stick around to lead. Hope we don't get such and such a ref to call our run to final four. Hope runs eternal for UK basketball. Sometimes I wish we could look forward to next year and know we we're going to have a top 2 or 3 team without having to hope all the pieces fall into place. Makes off season a lot more enjoyable. Tired of the two seasons of UK basketball. Regular season and recruiting season. Really not much different from any other top tier team I guess. Just down a bit after the loss. Go Big Blue.

Last edited:
All every team has is "hope" in a "win or go home" single-elimination format.

There's no guarantees in the NCAA tournament. That's why completing the six-win gauntlet is such a rewarding feeling. Even the most veteran-laden, talented squad can go down on any given night. A team that was meh in the regular season can catch fire and get to the Final Four like South Carolina did this year or we did in 2014.

Going back 20 years, what do these teams have in common?:

1997 Kansas (lost in Sweet 16)
1998 UNC (lost in FF)
1999 Duke (lost in title game)
2000 Duke (lost in Sweet 16)
2002 Duke (lost in Sweet 16)
2003 Kentucky (lost in Elite 8)
2006 UCONN (lost in Elite 8)
2010 UK/KU (lost in Elite 8, round of 32)
2011 Ohio State (lost in Sweet 16)
2014 Florida (lost in Final Four)
2015 Kentucky (Lost in Final Four)
2016 UNC (Lost in title game)

Ancient examples include 1975 Indiana, 1985 Georgetown and 1991 UNLV

The above teams were widely considered the best team in the country for most of those seasons. None of them won the title.

All every team has is "hope" in a "win or go home" single-elimination format.

There's no guarantees in the NCAA tournament. That's why completing the six-win gauntlet is such a rewarding feeling. Even the most veteran-laden, talented squad can go down on any given night. A team that was meh in the regular season can catch fire and get to the Final Four like South Carolina did this year or we did in 2014.

Exactly right, all any team has every single season is hope. I'm just happy that the amount of hope we get to have every year is what it is.

I have been a Kentucky fan about 60 years, I have witnessed some great teams come and go. When I look back on it all, we have as good a chance with freshmen as any of those teams. Some of the teams were Jr and Sr talent and ranked in the top 5 in the country and laid an egg. I don't like the system the NBA has forced college basketball into. But we could not asked for a better coach to give us the opportunity to be in the conversation for a title every year. You can be bitter and fight against it tooth and nail, but it is the system and we are playing it better than any other school. Go CATS!!!!!!!! and bring in the next class.

Hope a group of freshmen will click like 2012. Hope maybe we will have an upper class leader like Miller stick around to lead. Hope we don't get such and such a ref to call our run to final four. Hope runs eternal for UK basketball. Sometimes I wish we could look forward to next year and know we we're going to have a top 2 or 3 team without having to hope all the pieces fall into place. Makes off season a lot more enjoyable. Tired of the two seasons of UK basketball. Regular season and recruiting season. Really not much different from any other top tier team I guess. Just down a bit after the loss. Go Big Blue.

So far it has worked out pretty good.

I would rather spend all season hoping that 18 year olds learn to pick and roll and defend rather than hope the cast of hoosiers learn to be athletic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT