ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama makes 3 Sweet 16's in 4 Years

They had the number one team last year. Sweet 16 isn’t really something to brag about.

And they didn’t go further because oats runs a one trick pony. Either the 3s are falling or they’re toast.
Well we haven't been a 1 seed in 10 years and haven't reached the Sweet 16 in 5 years. Plus they are winning SEC titles regularly. They have significantly more to brag about than fat old Cal's Kentucky.

Would rather be a "one trick pony" than a "do-nothing but get abused donkey" like we currently have.

When you are at a Program that has only been there 10 times EVER and has 1 Elite 8 appearance in their history, it's pretty impressive. Specifically when they clearly are a FB School. This isn't some Power conference experienced coach who walked into the job either. This is a guy who came from Buffalo.

So winning the Conference, Conference Tournament 2x each, making 30% of the schools' Sweet 16's ever in his 5 yrs at a Power Conference isn't impressive to you?

Do you think Mark Stoops is an impressive FB coach for Kentucky? He's in the same boat Oats is as in terms of where he's coaching and what they are known as--yet many love what Stoops is doing and got angry when Cal called this a "basketball school". Stoops would give his left nut to do what Oats has done in the time he's done in his sport.

Also have to side with Greg Byrne on this one. He's 100X the AD that Mitch Barnhart is. Just sucks that is the case.
Football program has lost to Vandy last year and South Carolina two years in a row... They also blew a 14 point lead by giving up a 50 yard fake punt TD.... Unacceptable IMO.... you have also had too much coaching turnover at OC/WR coach.

Stoops doesn't get blame though because he is buddies with Matt Jones and Drew Franklin. Just pathetic.

Laugh at idea of Barnhart not liking Oats.

Has Mark Stoops come close to winning the SEC East, let alone the SEC in the same role/different sport at Kentucky? But all the love/attention goes into that for Barnhart. Oats has won the SEC/SEC Tournament 2 times each in his 5 years. Been to 3 Sweet 16s which is FB Equivalent of an Elite Bowl Game like the Sugar/Rose/Cotton and Stoops is getting a train run on him by UGA/Bama (no disgrace, just reality) when they play.

This is why Barnhart is an idiot. He can't figure out what is needed. The fact he's high on Scott Drew circa '21 made sense. Problem is Drew has morphed into '24 John Calipari without Jerome Tang. Meanwhile Oats who has been at Power Conference level for 5 years--is already doing things that never happened at Alabama. Drew did a great job building Baylor and staying with it and succeeded. He deserves praise for that. But he's got a total of 6 Sweet 16 appearances and been in Big 12 for his career. Oats is doing this immediately and at a school with little basketball tradition. He was there for taking but Greg Byrne--a real AD--was proactive.

Now we're hoping Jay Wright has an itch to want to coach after leaving the game due to not wanting to be part of how things were shifting. Hearing asinine ideas like Dan Hurley leaving UConn for Kentucky. Why would he do that? Rick Pitino 2.0 would be a far better move then Drew or most the names thrown out there.

Best plan for Kentucky is when you move on from Calipari-you move on from Barnhart who doesn't know a ****ing thing about what it takes to be an elite program in any sport.
The whole “Oats is doing things never before done at Alabama” is a bit disingenuous. The SEC as a whole never worried about basketball until the last 5-10 years. Nate Oats’ “let’s get a shot up in 8 seconds” offense will never translate to national championships. You can get hot and win 3 in a row at the SEC tourney occasionally but you aren’t going to do that in the NCAA tourney as the teams get better

Oats' style of ball is fun and he believes in it fully, unlike Cal who deep down wants to get the ball into the post as often as possible.

The whole “Oats is doing things never before done at Alabama” is a bit disingenuous. The SEC as a whole never worried about basketball until the last 5-10 years. Nate Oats’ “let’s get a shot up in 8 seconds” offense will never translate to national championships. You can get hot and win 3 in a row at the SEC tourney occasionally but you aren’t going to do that in the NCAA tourney as the teams get better
I remember that same talk when Rick Pitino built Providence around the 3pt shot. "That won't work" "You can get lucky......" and look how things turned out. So which is it--the SEC has just started to invest in basketball where Oats has succeeded (2 regular season and 2 Conference Tournament Championships in 5 yrs) in his first power conference job while everyone in SEC now cares but really it's not a big deal because playing 18 conference games and then winning the tournament isn't too impressive, because it's a fluke. I call BS on that. If you want to say you don't like him/how they play, that's fine, your opinion. He's 5 yrs into his job there and in addition to the SEC championships they've been to a level in the NCAA's they never consistently reached 3x in 5 yrs. But that's also a fluke? Come on.

If you get talent, you can accomplish things. What Oats is doing there continues to get shit on for some reason, which seems strange? He's succeeded as a HS coach. Succeeded at Buffalo, doing things that are sustaining at Alabama. But if he went to Kentucky where he'd have more resources/invested fanbase, he'd fail. Fans are furious how Cal treats the SEC and SEC Tournament (which I fully am in line with the fans-this is Kentucky you win everything you can as the standard) but a guy at Bama does it and it's fluky and not impressive?

Think he's on the cusp and you keep knocking on the door, eventually you break through. He's getting his staff Head Coaching jobs--4 in the last 2 yrs have been promoted to HC jobs in CBB. He's winning games and going to levels that you would want as an AD--specifically with Bama's history and in the most competitive and committed the SEC has been--again you also stated that SEC now cares about basketball. I like him-don't think he'll ever be the HC here but should've been this year if Barnhart handled this correctly-which we know he wouldn't because he's a jackass.

Football program has lost to Vandy last year and South Carolina two years in a row... They also blew a 14 point lead by giving up a 50 yard fake punt TD.... Unacceptable IMO.... you have also had too much coaching turnover at OC/WR coach.

Stoops doesn't get blame though because he is buddies with Matt Jones and Drew Franklin. Just pathetic.
I agree. Losing to Vandy was just 😫. I think that was the previous year.

Jay walked away from 6 million dollars at Villanova to retire and stop coaching. If he wanted or needed money, he'd still be taking 6 million. If you're able to walk away from 6 million, I don't believe 10 brings you back.
From one perspective this makes sense. But from another perspective, Jay went out on top at Villanova. There was nowhere to go but down. At Kentucky there would be practically nowhere to go but up. Can’t say that counts enough to change his mind, but you would think it would count for something.

I’m a lot closer to your viewpoint on Donovan. That one seems like a Hail Mary pass at best.

I remember that same talk when Rick Pitino built Providence around the 3pt shot. "That won't work" "You can get lucky......" and look how things turned out. So which is it--the SEC has just started to invest in basketball where Oats has succeeded (2 regular season and 2 Conference Tournament Championships in 5 yrs) in his first power conference job while everyone in SEC now cares but really it's not a big deal because playing 18 conference games and then winning the tournament isn't too impressive, because it's a fluke. I call BS on that. If you want to say you don't like him/how they play, that's fine, your opinion. He's 5 yrs into his job there and in addition to the SEC championships they've been to a level in the NCAA's they never consistently reached 3x in 5 yrs. But that's also a fluke? Come on.

If you get talent, you can accomplish things. What Oats is doing there continues to get shit on for some reason, which seems strange? He's succeeded as a HS coach. Succeeded at Buffalo, doing things that are sustaining at Alabama. But if he went to Kentucky where he'd have more resources/invested fanbase, he'd fail. Fans are furious how Cal treats the SEC and SEC Tournament (which I fully am in line with the fans-this is Kentucky you win everything you can as the standard) but a guy at Bama does it and it's fluky and not impressive?

Think he's on the cusp and you keep knocking on the door, eventually you break through. He's getting his staff Head Coaching jobs--4 in the last 2 yrs have been promoted to HC jobs in CBB. He's winning games and going to levels that you would want as an AD--specifically with Bama's history and in the most competitive and committed the SEC has been--again you also stated that SEC now cares about basketball. I like him-don't think he'll ever be the HC here but should've been this year if Barnhart handled this correctly-which we know he wouldn't because he's a jackass.
Nate Oats ain't that dude. Time will tell which one of us is right. And also, two things can be true at once. You can win games like that, but you won’t win it all. You brought up Pitino…. He’ll be could have played any style and won in 96

Nate Oats ain't that dude. Time will tell which one of us is right. And also, two things can be true at once. You can win games like that, but you won’t win it all. You brought up Pitino…. He’ll be could have played any style and won in 96
I bring up Pitino when he was at Providence because he embraced the rule change and built around the 3pt shot. Everyone back then mocked that and said he'd be a "fluke" because he was a "system" coach.

What happened when he got the UK brand and was able to recruit more talented players to fit his system?

Regarding "he could have played any style in '96" is the entire point. You are telling me what someone wouldn't do when they are at Kentucky because you don't care for his system but then say "any system would've won in '96". Well does Pitino get that type of roster if he's at Providence? No. Has he had a roster like that since he left Kentucky in CBB? That's why I'd love to see Oats get his chance.

End of day it's all moot because highly unlikely he ever coaches here with Barnhart dragging his ass while the program falls into a mediocre abyss. But think a coach who embraces a system that is fast paced and entertaining flourishes when given an elite brand behind them.

Jay walked away from 6 million dollars at Villanova to retire and stop coaching. If he wanted or needed money, he'd still be taking 6 million. If you're able to walk away from 6 million, I don't believe 10 brings you back.
This. UNC approached him first during their coaching search with a heavy duty package: he said thanks but no thanks.

When you are at a Program that has only been there 10 times EVER and has 1 Elite 8 appearance in their history, it's pretty impressive. Specifically when they clearly are a FB School. This isn't some Power conference experienced coach who walked into the job either. This is a guy who came from Buffalo.

So winning the Conference, Conference Tournament 2x each, making 30% of the schools' Sweet 16's ever in his 5 yrs at a Power Conference isn't impressive to you?

Do you think Mark Stoops is an impressive FB coach for Kentucky? He's in the same boat Oats is as in terms of where he's coaching and what they are known as--yet many love what Stoops is doing and got angry when Cal called this a "basketball school". Stoops would give his left nut to do what Oats has done in the time he's done in his sport.

Also have to side with Greg Byrne on this one. He's 100X the AD that Mitch Barnhart is. Just sucks that is the case.

Comparing apples to oranges when comparing football to basketball. In BB 3-4 guys can turn a program around, in FB you wouldn't know they were there, plus in the SEC FB is a big deal to 8-10 schools, BB is a big deal at 2-3 schools the others not so much. Much easier to turn a BB program around in SEC than a FB program

I bring up Pitino when he was at Providence because he embraced the rule change and built around the 3pt shot. Everyone back then mocked that and said he'd be a "fluke" because he was a "system" coach.

What happened when he got the UK brand and was able to recruit more talented players to fit his system?

Regarding "he could have played any style in '96" is the entire point. You are telling me what someone wouldn't do when they are at Kentucky because you don't care for his system but then say "any system would've won in '96". Well does Pitino get that type of roster if he's at Providence? No. Has he had a roster like that since he left Kentucky in CBB? That's why I'd love to see Oats get his chance.

End of day it's all moot because highly unlikely he ever coaches here with Barnhart dragging his ass while the program falls into a mediocre abyss. But think a coach who embraces a system that is fast paced and entertaining flourishes when given an elite brand behind them.
He embraced that style at Providence because he HAD to.

Any system in 96 would have worked because of the PLAYERS, not the coach. Hello could have coached that team to a championship.

What did Oats do with a 1 seed ?

Bottom line, none of the blue bloods would hire him. Not Duke, UNC, Kansas… none of em. Why should UK?

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Comparing apples to oranges when comparing football to basketball. In BB 3-4 guys can turn a program around, in FB you wouldn't know they were there, plus in the SEC FB is a big deal to 8-10 schools, BB is a big deal at 2-3 schools the others not so much. Much easier to turn a BB program around in SEC than a FB program
It is different in terms of amount of players needed to turn a program around but the same standard applies as a coach. You have to be good enough to get the players and then coach/develop them and then win games against elite competition. Then rinse/repeat. If it's easy, everyone would win.

Some people have guys they prefer and that's fine but everyone loves to crap on Nate Oats for some reason? He's doing things Alabama has never done in Basketball and he'd do well at Kentucky with more to sell. That's all my take was, but then you get into the these odd "SEC only started to care about basketball" well he's succeeded in the era they care and Cal hasn't. Wouldn't that be what you covet as an AD?

He embraced that style at Providence because he HAD to.

Any system in 96 would have worked because of the PLAYERS, not the coach. Hello could have coached that team to a championship.

What did Oats do with a 1 seed ?

Bottom line, none of the blue bloods would hire him. Not Duke, UNC, Kansas… none of em. Why should UK?
No he embraced it because it was his philosophy at the time. Why did he do the same thing with the NY Knicks and then at Kentucky? Now in the NBA it wasn't Steph Curry like but for that time/era he embraced the 3pt shot and then brought it with him to UK as well. He was a visionary ahead of his time in how to use that rule change as an offensive weapon.

That's bullshit. Coaching matters. Look at Calipari. '15 team didn't win. It does take a great coach to not just build the roster and develop but also to get you across the finish line.

UNC/Duke keep things in-house and have their style of hire. Kansas, we'll see how that goes down when Self leaves. Too early to make that comment.

Oats has been in Major CBB for 5 years now. He went to the Sweet 16 with a 1 seed and lost to a team that was National Runner Up. He's just building and expanding his resume which is the exact type of coaching candidate who is perfect for Kentucky-a guy who has won in the conference and is still building/hungry.

You don't like him, I do and we'll see how this ends. But this "what's he done" is another odd comment when my point is how AWFUL Alabama basketball has been prior to his arrival and he's done more than any HC they've had. You don't think his system can win a NC at Kentucky-which is my point--but now he's catching shit for what he's doing at Alabama which nobody else in their school's history has done. Seems just like a very strange and moving the goal posts disagreement. I'm staying to the reasons I like him and you are bouncing all over.

Oats will have played in his 1st NCAA game at Bama as a lower seed this upcoming Thursday. That's something that has never happened there as well. So he's doing something correct.

No he embraced it because it was his philosophy at the time. Why did he do the same thing with the NY Knicks and then at Kentucky? Now in the NBA it wasn't Steph Curry like but for that time/era he embraced the 3pt shot and then brought it with him to UK as well. He was a visionary ahead of his time in how to use that rule change as an offensive weapon.

That's bullshit. Coaching matters. Look at Calipari. '15 team didn't win. It does take a great coach to not just build the roster and develop but also to get you across the finish line.

UNC/Duke keep things in-house and have their style of hire. Kansas, we'll see how that goes down when Self leaves. Too early to make that comment.

Oats has been in Major CBB for 5 years now. He went to the Sweet 16 with a 1 seed and lost to a team that was National Runner Up. He's just building and expanding his resume which is the exact type of coaching candidate who is perfect for Kentucky-a guy who has won in the conference and is still building/hungry.

You don't like him, I do and we'll see how this ends. But this "what's he done" is another odd comment when my point is how AWFUL Alabama basketball has been prior to his arrival and he's done more than any HC they've had. You don't think his system can win a NC at Kentucky-which is my point--but now he's catching shit for what he's doing at Alabama which nobody else in their school's history has done. Seems just like a very strange and moving the goal posts disagreement. I'm staying to the reasons I like him and you are bouncing all over.

Oats will have played in his 1st NCAA game at Bama as a lower seed this upcoming Thursday. That's something that has never happened there as well. So he's doing something correct.
You sure do love you some Nate Oats 😂😂. Tell me this.. what other jobs has he been linked to/mentioned for? One of us will be proven right in the end. But as far as “he’s done something nobody else has done” argument goes, when you start at the bottom there’s only one way to go. It’s the same argument people make for Mark Stoops.

By the way, how many times did Alabama beat Kentucky this year?

Nate oats have been a major head coach for 5 years lol so what that he doesn’t have a title. He’s at ALABAMA lmao he’s the only reason they are good. Personally I think if he was here with this brand he’d get it done. If you can there you can win here.

You sure do love you some Nate Oats 😂😂. Tell me this.. what other jobs has he been linked to/mentioned for? One of us will be proven right in the end. But as far as “he’s done something nobody else has done” argument goes, when you start at the bottom there’s only one way to go. It’s the same argument people make for Mark Stoops.
Like him but actually would place him about the 5th option for what I prefer, but the issue is that he's exactly the type of coach who would be an upgrade over what we've got with the current version of Cal that you could've gotten if you had a plan as an AD.

Mentioned the aspects I like enough so no need to rehash but he's done what nobody at Alabama ever has. You can talk any era, investment, etc..but he's done it. Our current society loves to find ways to nitpick reality to make them feel better be it a stance against or for something but results matter. If we're 5 years from now and he's still not gone further or improved, then if I'm still alive, I'll be first to say you were right and I was wrong. But up to now, he's someone I view highly and would've been a nice option to replace this version of Cal.

Reactions: crestcat
Oats is a terrific coach when they beat Carolina on Thursday maybe there’ll be some more believers. I’ve said for two years I wish UK would just hire him

I like Golden as well. I am not sure what it would take to get him out of his flordia deal. I do think we could get him if he is interested.
the top option would be someone who’s proven they can win in the league. If nobody wants to make the jump (Oats Golden Beard etc) then I’d be plenty cool with Lloyd or Drew

It’s a lot easier to build a great basketball 🏀 team than football.

This “basketball school”/“football school” crap needs to cease.
Baseball is more important than hoops at every school but Kentucky it absolutely matters dude. Basketball is an afterthought at bama or even Baylor

Like him but actually would place him about the 5th option for what I prefer, but the issue is that he's exactly the type of coach who would be an upgrade over what we've got with the current version of Cal that you could've gotten if you had a plan as an AD.

Mentioned the aspects I like enough so no need to rehash but he's done what nobody at Alabama ever has. You can talk any era, investment, etc..but he's done it. Our current society loves to find ways to nitpick reality to make them feel better be it a stance against or for something but results matter. If we're 5 years from now and he's still not gone further or improved, then if I'm still alive, I'll be first to say you were right and I was wrong. But up to now, he's someone I view highly and would've been a nice option to replace this version of Cal.
Fair enough. I will do the same.

Oats is a winner when you look at the schools he has coached. Buffalo isn't supposed to make the tournament, and he got them to the 2nd round twice, and got a 6 seed one year which is unheard of for a MAC program.

Alabama has no history whatsoever, to rebuild them as quickly as he did is impressive in itself, but to take them to places that program has never been in such a short amount of time is unheard of. And btw, even though this is a down year for them, he still has them alive and in contention for a final four this year.

Reactions: crestcat
We had a guy who was getting to sweet 16s and finishing near or at the top of the conference regularly...he got run off...Wasn't good enough.

Low ceiling but high floor was no longer cool. Wanted that dopamine hit. Burn hot, flame out hotter. Title, couple FFs, but NIT, loses Robert Morris, St. Pete, Oakland, and 9 wins...9...remember making fun of a guy who would lose 10?

Tubby was Kirk Cousins. Ya'll wanted hot Heisman winner coming in who pops and fizzles.

Well, we popped, it was fun and I'm happy to have the title and FFs. However, it is a bit ironic to listen to what people want now.

Give us the guy who's looked good making a few SS 16s. Had it. Tubby was in 3 out of his first 6 years of HC...two at an SEC coincidently.

I'm not advocating that Tubby should or even would still be here, he'd have gotten older and aged out. He could've lasted a couple more years and spared us BCG at least.

Everyone wanted some cultural relevancy. Big names, some guys who could go on and be stars in the league. That was the currency at the time. If you didn't have a rim running PG and couple "positionless" athletes playing Tasmanian devil ball, you weren't cool.

Ironic now that everyone is moaning for ho hum SS, EEs with a guy who will build a roster and develop kids over time, draw up some half court sets, an out of bounds play, coach free throws, and make a few in game adjustments. Which may mean not popping but always kind of being around.

Last edited:
Reactions: RipThru
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT