ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Storr

He's good. But overall he wouldn't be my top priority.
- will be on his 3rd team in 3 years (although the first switch was maybe due to new Coach at St.J)
- made only 32% of 3pt this year, but 40.4% year before on less attempts
- made only 43.4% overall both years
- 6'7 but does NOT rebound, 3.9 & 1.9 his 2 years
- I don't know about his Def, but his STOCK (STeal + blOCK) #'s aren't great, 0.7 & 0.6 his 2 years
- would make it very unlikely for Edwards to return (which I'm betting he stays in draft), and maybe unlikely for Theiro to return

We should be going "ALL-IN" on Johnell Davis!!!
- was an absolute DUDE in their Final-4 run last year
- 18.2 ppg on 48.3%/41.4%/85.7% shooting
- 6'4 205 but still got 6.3 rpg (5.4 last year)
- almost doubled his assists this year (2.9 apg)
- 1.6 STOCK both this year and last year

- will be on his 3rd team in 3 years (although the first switch was maybe due to new Coach at St.J)
- I don't know about his Def, but his STOCK (STeal + blOCK) #'s aren't great, 0.7 & 0.6 his 2 years
- would make it very unlikely for Edwards to return (which I'm betting he stays in draft), and maybe unlikely for Theiro to return

I think I’d take him over Edwards, just because you know what you’re getting from Storr

I'd love to have both.

I worry that Johnell Davis is already on a plane to Michigan.

Thank you for doing all that work of posting his career stats. I will be honest and say I didn’t watch any Freshmen year at St. Johns….but I watched a lot of last year at Wisconsin. They play at a crawl tempo/pace to combat the athletic deficit they face against most teams. Including Storr there were maybe two shot creators on the entire team. They would often run the entire shot clock down and then pass him the ball to bail the offense out which depressed his numbers. I think like most players if you put him in a better offensive system with better players he will have better performance. But I 100% agree both that the rebounding numbers are troubling and Davis is the better player with his extensive post-season experience.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Regardless of who we get, our shooting prowess will decline significantly. We just experienced the best three point shooting team we've ever had. BUT, it didn't get us a damn thing, so...
We didn’t start two and didn’t play them together enough to win . When we did they almost always out scored the other team .

Good recap on Storr. Would add in his assist numbers being an abysmal .8apg doesn’t fit with the unselfish crisp passing offense we had this season. I just went to their ncaa game against JMU and he was completely shut down.

Johnell Davis I’m with you 1000%. Kid is a bonafide stud.

Hate Storr. Black hole with ball (.8 apg). Overrated scorer. Watched him get checked live against JMU. Seems to be a kid demanding a minimum NIL payment. Not the kind of kid we want at UK IMO. Brings little value except being a volume scorer.
UL????
Oh No Omg GIF

We aren't getting any of these top transfers. UK is just putting out "been in touch" but it seems like there's not a whole lot of actually working the situation to convince the kid to transfer to Kentucky. Cal's vivid and well documented history of playing 5-star freshmen over mature transfers is mostly why they will be thumbing their noses at any "Kentucky has been in touch" BS.

We aren't getting any of these top transfers. UK is just putting out "been in touch" but it seems like there's not a whole lot of actually working the situation to convince the kid to transfer to Kentucky. Cal's vivid and well documented history of playing 5-star freshmen over mature transfers is mostly why they will be thumbing their noses at any "Kentucky has been in touch" BS.
Apparently UK’s involvement is significant enough that Trilly posted about it. But I generally agree that Cal has clearly not changed his mentality on freshman over experience.

Apparently UK’s involvement is significant enough that Trilly posted about it. But I generally agree that Cal has clearly not changed his mentality on freshman over experience.
Makes me wonder how Cal talks to these transfers when they ask "so I have a solid track record in my first three seasons in Division I college basketball. How do you see me fitting in with your incoming highly-ranked freshmen?"

Cal: "Well, you're gonna have to come in and earn that time. Earned, not given. I can't hide you. These young kids - we're always one of the youngest teams in the country - but they are coming in ready to play, ready to prove themselves, so it's gonna be a battle. You just have to be ready to step up".

Player: "Um, yeah, but they haven't played one game in Division I basketball, so technically they haven't proven anything yet. As I said, I have 3 years of 16ppg, 9 rbpg and I have been a starter on a NCAA tournament team for 2/3 of my years so far. I am not likely to come to your program if you are still going to stick to starting unproven freshmen over seasoned veteran starters on teams that have performed in the NCAAT beyond the first round".

Cal: "Well, you know, these kids play in the tough AAU, they're talented and quick. I just always tell my team you gotta earn your time, play hard and compete."

And from what supposedly happened with Reeves last summer, Cal doesn't take the NIL for transfers serious enough if his top returning transfer isn't the TOP priority!!!

So, the word is out on Cal and how he treats transfers as opposed to those 5-Stars, even with NIL, not just playing time.

Reports that he wanted 1mil, Kansas offered 750k, and he turned that down. Can't imagine he's going to take a payout to come here.

If we return four guys from this team and add 6 freshmen at most, where do transfers even fit in on this team?
Transfers of any value will be long gone by the time Cal's Kids finish their "water testing" for the NBA. He created this situation and refuses to change it or be honest with kids who simply aren't ready for the next level. Hell, most of his kids these days aren't even ready to "test the waters" (FYI, I freakin' hate this phrase), yet he encourages them to go do it every year, sucking time away from the 6 week transfer portal because no kid is going to commit to UK as a transfer without knowing or at least having some idea what the roster will look like.

If we return four guys from this team and add 6 freshmen at most, where do transfers even fit in on this team?
They probably don’t fit in much. But you have to do due diligence and protect yourself. DJ could do well in the combine and take advantage of a bad draft, Z could just decide to go back to Croatia at any time, Adou is already in the portal, etc.

The target number of real players is probably 11. Guys like Hart that are glorified walkons can technically be players 12/13.

Another thing to consider is fit on next years team. If Wagner comes back then Fland is starting at PG and Wagner at SG….we will have a giant hole at SF. Storr is tall enough and thick enough to play SF in college. If Wagner announced a return it’s going to be impossible to get a good portal Guard. But for goodness sake Cal! Please find a veteran SF or rugged PF and don’t force Knox to start.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Paying huge money to a volume scoring guard without offering much else and not having great shooting splits…whew.

Not saying he’d be a bad addition due to his proven performance at a power 5 level but committing monster NIL to him…man idk.
That’s why I find it hard to believe Kentucky will do it, unless they sell him on the national deals he can get from uk instead of up front money

I'd love to have both.

I worry that Johnell Davis is already on a plane to Michigan.
I saw where him and the Martin kid from FAU is a one or the other situation maybe. Which ever one Michigan takes the other will go somewhere else

I’d like to see Z with a full summer of weight training and conditioning. Hes got some skills you can’t teach, but he needs to get stronger and in better shape to bang down low in the SEC.
Sure Z could stand to get stronger. I think the bigger issue for him was the learning curve of where to be, and how the US plays the game different than in EU.
I think he could be really good next year.

Leaves 3 scholarships so hopefully those 3 fit into the starting line up, Z gets bigger and one of the 10 you mentioned are good enough to start.

Otherwise going to be an even longer season next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT