ADVERTISEMENT

After the Game

KyFaninNC

All-American
Mar 14, 2005
I went straight to bed. I was not even mad or upset. I guess at this point, I am now expecting us to lose, and we do it in so many ways. The guys are doing the very best they can, I firmly believe that. And really, that is all anybody can ask. This team just has such low basketball IQ, it just amazes me. They have no idea how to play together.

I will not bash none of these guys again. I will continue to watch, but I am going to do what Cal said we should do, blame him. Cal you recruited this bunch, so this season is entirely on your shoulders. I love ya, Cal, but my advice to you is, change what you do. Do some self reflection, soul searching. Your model is broken. The school, the fans, the players, deserve better than you gave them this year. FIX IT.

I went straight to bed. I was not even mad or upset. I guess at this point, I am now expecting us to lose, and we do it in so many ways. The guys are doing the very best they can, I firmly believe that. And really, that is all anybody can ask. This team just has such low basketball IQ, it just amazes me. They have no idea how to play together.

I will not bash none of these guys again. I will continue to watch, but I am going to do what Cal said we should do, blame him. Cal you recruited this bunch, so this season is entirely on your shoulders. I love ya, Cal, but my advice to you is, change what you do. Do some self reflection, soul searching. Your model is broken. The school, the fans, the players, deserve better than you gave them this year. FIX IT.

...his model is broken? We were a game away from the final four last year, and lost on a last second shot to the eventual National Champion. Everyone has stated "gotta have more experience - get more four year guys!" Cal has a roster full of them right now.

Look. For a normal team, this would be considered a "re-building year". As a fan base, right now, we're spoiled.

I totally agree with everything you said op but to me it's on the players at this point. We are now in the middle of Feb and the same mistakes are happening that happened at the beginning of the year..Like you, I have never and will never bash or throw players or coaches under the bus. That's not in my DNA as a fan of this program.Even after last night, I still believe this team has what it takes to not only make the Tournament but make a good run. Saturday is a MUST WIN at home against Alabama and the other 2 games at home as well..GO CATS!

You guys should get rid of him. #feelsgoodman:pimp:[banana]

Reactions: - Keyser Soze -
Results obviously don’t reflect an 8 million dollar salary, so Coach has some decisions to make.
LOL.

I'm in the not sweating it anymore camp. Love UK basketball. I'm still watching and rooting ever game, but not investing emotion into them. If we lose, well crap. If we win, good. If we make a run to the elite 8 or something, great surprise.

LOL.

I'm in the not sweating it anymore camp. Love UK basketball. I'm still watching and rooting ever game, but not investing emotion into them. If we lose, well crap. If we win, good. If we make a run to the elite 8 or something, great surprise.
That's all you CAN do.

It's much better to lower your expectations than to get all upset and show your ass like a lot of our fans do...

Not much can be done at this point to fix our problems, and we'll see in the next few years if Cal can get us back to the top.

I personally think that we're going to be REALLY good again starting next year, and we can still salvage this season yet.

Reactions: GLR5555
That's all you CAN do.

It's much better to lower your expectations than to get all upset and show your ass like a lot of our fans do...

Not much can be done at this point to fix our problems, and we'll see in the next few years if Cal can get us back to the top.

I personally think that we're going to be REALLY good again starting next year, and we can still salvage this season yet.
We should never lower our expectations. What we should be is realistic.
Cal knows what he's doing...we're not going to get a complete group of freshman that can be couched like some freshman. And the more you have I'm sure the harder it is.
Teenagers can be hard headed. I've had 3. They all knew more than me for more that just a couple years.
For those wanting to replace Cal...I don't get it. Who replaces him that will give us the resume Cal has? Our fans are entitled and toxic.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
don't even watch anymore.......have no faith they can win
not a fair weather fan, just can't stand this lousy group
I still have every game that UK won during the Pitino era on vhs, at least those kids played hard

I think it is realistic to be upset. It all changes if a core of this team comes back, but we all know the precedent here. Most if not all of these guys are just waiting until time to try to declare. Hope they buck the trend and prove me wrong.

I think it is realistic to be upset. It all changes if a core of this team comes back, but we all know the precedent here. Most if not all of these guys are just waiting until time to try to declare. Hope they buck the trend and prove me wrong.

That's what hangs over everything. If we knew we'd return all but 2, we'd be willing to take our lumps because it means next season will be really special.

Watching this team shit the bed in the final five minutes of every game for a month is really draining though.

Last edited:
...his model is broken? We were a game away from the final four last year, and lost on a last second shot to the eventual National Champion. Everyone has stated "gotta have more experience - get more four year guys!" Cal has a roster full of them right now.

Look. For a normal team, this would be considered a "re-building year". As a fan base, right now, we're spoiled.

He has some 4 year guys who are still freshman and sophomores but he also has some guys who will get drafted this year based on potential not production. This still leaves us in the quandary next year of having marginally talented sophomores and juniors to go with marginally talented freshmen. Don't get too excited about next years team until we see how guys develop or you may be disappointed again.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
I’ve taken the same approach with this team. I’ll cheer my ass off for them and if they win, great, if they lose, whatever. On to the next one. Even when we were playing well last night in the 2nd half with the lead, it was like you knew the wheels were gonna fall off at some point. It sucks that it’s what we’ve come to expect with this team but it is what it is. Hopefully most of these guys return and we can have a talented AND experienced roster to compliment the incoming freshmen.

don't even watch anymore.......have no faith they can win
not a fair weather fan, just can't stand this lousy group
I still have every game that UK won during the Pitino era on vhs, at least those kids played hard

I think they played hard last night and had moments of good defense. Knox had a stretch where he looked good. We just flinched when the game was on the line. It would not have taken much for us to have extended the lead and held on...but again we blinked and that was it. This game was not like the last one where they were clearly disinterested or otherwise in a daze. Still it was an L. sucks.

We should never lower our expectations. What we should be is realistic.
Cal knows what he's doing...we're not going to get a complete group of freshman that can be couched like some freshman. And the more you have I'm sure the harder it is.
Teenagers can be hard headed. I've had 3. They all knew more than me for more that just a couple years.
For those wanting to replace Cal...I don't get it. Who replaces him that will give us the resume Cal has? Our fans are entitled and toxic.
I meant for THIS SEASON!!

Not long term...

Reactions: Boisgreat

There will be at least 3 declare and leave.

This is about as low as it's been in about 10 years around here, but I'll keep watching and rooting for the cats forever. This was bound to happen when you keep playing mostly freshmen with out any upperclassmen leadership, I mean a junior or senior or two actually playing. Cal has always had that on his other young teams. When you run your program like this it's high risk high reward playing mostly freshmen at Kentucky the pressure is through the roof, more mature players can handle it better. The same mistakes continue to hurt us every game despite spending hours in practice every week to correct it.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
The bloom is off the rose and all we're left with are stems and thorns. The good news is that after a time roses rebloom and smell so sweet. I'm really like these young men as young men and keep hoping for their success. One game at a time.

The guys are doing the very best they can, I firmly believe that. And really, that is all anybody can ask.
Right on! I would add (to ME and my allies):
Let's adjust our attitudes and support our kids and see if they can figure out a way to surprise us.

Wish every UK Fan would do same as you.

That's what hangs over everything. If we knew we'd return all by 2, we'd be willing to take out lumps because it means next season will be really special.

Watching this team shit the bed in the final five minutes of every game for a month is really draining though.

Exactly. I know these guys are NOT ready, but it doesn’t always seem to matter. Cal could turn Diallo into a lotto pick. He could really turn it around for Richards, too. I’m thinking SGA and Vanderbilt along with Knox will all be taken early.

At the start of the year, most fans knew this current squad had no realistic shot at a FF or title.

2019 seemed to have a lot of promise with guys coming back and some good recruits coming in. Cal did not however get who he wanted for next year. And so it goes.

Even so, Cats will be much better next year. How much better is unknown at this point. Shooting should be much improved. Still worried about a lack of quickness.

Still might make the round of 32 this year. Sweet 16 not impossible but will require a bit of good fortune.

First..........this season isn't over

But lets say we have a bad season...........one year doesn't mean a model that's had success in several years is broken.

Look. For a normal team, this would be considered a "re-building year". As a fan base, right now, we're spoiled.[/QUOTE]

Most didnt call this a rebuilding year , you dont get a bunch of 1sr round picks by saying " this is a rebuilding year " and the top 5 or so ranking didnt say rebuilding year. People are always going to expect a team that had big time pro prospects to make the field of 64 and not struggle to be 500 in the SEC . Is it spoiled to ask for consistent effort ? is is spoiled to ask that we control the glass against the midgets from AU ? Spoiled to expect PJ to sprint down the floor ? Spoiled to expect to have 1 shooter at the guard position ? Spoiled to expect Richards to contribute more often than once a month ? Is it spoiled to expect a team that can inbound the ball instead of playing statue of liberty ? I could go on .

Most didnt call this a rebuilding year , you dont get a bunch of 1sr round picks by saying " this is a rebuilding year " and the top 5 or so ranking didnt say rebuilding year. People are always going to expect a team that had big time pro prospects to make the field of 64 and not struggle to be 500 in the SEC . Is it spoiled to ask for consistent effort ? is is spoiled to ask that we control the glass against the midgets from AU ? Spoiled to expect PJ to sprint down the floor ? Spoiled to expect to have 1 shooter at the guard position ? Spoiled to expect Richards to contribute more often than once a month ? Is it spoiled to expect a team that can inbound the ball instead of playing statue of liberty ? I could go on .[/QUOTE]

Weren't we ranked in the top 5 in 2013 as well?

Obviously going into the year no one thought it was rebuilding tho most people knew we wern't getting a 2010,12 or 15 team.

This team just isn't what most thought it was going to be.

Cal's ceiling is the final four with the occasional championship game. Problem is his bottom seems to be the NIT. That's what gets fans so irritated. You don't see other blueblood coaches with this low of a low point.

To the OP - I am impressed that you're license plate is so close to the beginning of the initial 300 UK plates the NCDMV ran. I have one of the first 300 also but mine is about 137 spots lower. Must be because I live in the mountains.

I HATE 9:00pm tipoffs because I try to go to bed by 10. It's what you do when you get up at 5:30am on weekdays. Normally in past seasons I have watched the late games (I call it "Staying up with the Wildcats") and suffered through work the next day. This season I have stopped watching the late games. The players are trying but they have simply shown an inability to close out games where they are ahead or to come from behind when they are not. (No, I cannot explain what was different at West Virginia.) I track the 1st half on ESPN while working on other things with my laptop but when the Cats fall behind by halftime I don't stay up.

Do you think this season might have trended differently had the Champions Classic been the opener and had Kentucky gotten smacked in the face right off the bat instead of starting more gradually with the procession of mid-major opponents?

To the OP - I am impressed that you're license plate is so close to the beginning of the initial 300 UK plates the NCDMV ran
Shhh, there are people on this board that think i am a troll and/or a tarturd(whatever that is). You are giving me away..:cool2:

May have something to do with last name. My last name begins with a B.

To the OP - I am impressed that you're license plate is so close to the beginning of the initial 300 UK plates the NCDMV ran. I have one of the first 300 also but mine is about 137 spots lower. Must be because I live in the mountains.

I HATE 9:00pm tipoffs because I try to go to bed by 10. It's what you do when you get up at 5:30am on weekdays. Normally in past seasons I have watched the late games (I call it "Staying up with the Wildcats") and suffered through work the next day. This season I have stopped watching the late games. The players are trying but they have simply shown an inability to close out games where they are ahead or to come from behind when they are not. (No, I cannot explain what was different at West Virginia.) I track the 1st half on ESPN while working on other things with my laptop but when the Cats fall behind by halftime I don't stay up.

Do you think this season might have trended differently had the Champions Classic been the opener and had Kentucky gotten smacked in the face right off the bat instead of starting more gradually with the procession of mid-major opponents?
I think Cal should have gone to the summitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT