ADVERTISEMENT

Add Teague to the list

You will hear more and more like this. You see, their home with everything handed to them has moved. Cal was a players first coach, that does not sit well with old school cat fans. I am old school and I still can't get the smile off my face knowing Cal is gone. Everyday is a celebration in this house.

You will hear more and more like this. You see, their home with everything handed to them has moved. Cal was a players first coach, that does not sit well with old school cat fans. I am old school and I still can't get the smile off my face knowing Cal is gone. Everyday is a celebration in this house.
I have lived and breathed UK basketball for 43 years and let me tell you I'm with you 100% my man. Just woke up today with sunshine in my soul realizing it's still true, because for so long I have slept so wrong thinking it was too good to be true. But it's still true CCC is gone, and I too just can't get this damn smile off my face around the clock since I found out.
Still celebrating here!!!!!!

At the time we needed Cal. So the question is did UK need Cal more, or did Cal need UK more?
UK was more successful without Cal from early 90’s-2009, than he was. Now if we can do the same from now until he retires, thst will just further confirm the truth.

Reactions: Usleepy-2vs7
This is why cal had to go. It took some of us a little more time to figure it out, but we did. That was the culture that evolved. Our program was high jacked and being used as an nba training camp. We were not a basketball program under cal. Now we finally have our program back! GO BIG BLUE!!!

Here’s a funny for you
Just something these guys need to think about
With the exception of Wall, Davis, Boogie and a few others of the Calipari era, how many of us would recognize these guys on the street?
I accidentally met Woo Orbzut a few years ago and knew exactly who he was and when he played.
I saw Jeff Sheppard at Campbellsville University a few times when my son was going there..and even bald, I knew who he was
I didn’t have to ask who Mark Pope was when he was announced as coach

I had actually kinda forgotten about Marquis Teague. If you said the name I’d say oh yeah he played…
So no, son, you all didn’t build Kentucky. And it’s laughable you think we were nothing before the Calipari era

This will be the norm. For years cal was allowed to make the program all about him. Guys that came through, especially after 2012, have virtually no affiliation with the program and that was by Cal's design. That's why he started the la familia bs which took over the school affiliation.

The savvy guys, especially if they're done with basketball, all see the value in keeping school affiliation. Otherwise this will be the norm.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Here’s a funny for you
Just something these guys need to think about
With the exception of Wall, Davis, Boogie and a few others of the Calipari era, how many of us would recognize these guys on the street?
I accidentally met Woo Orbzut a few years ago and knew exactly who he was and when he played.
I saw Jeff Sheppard at Campbellsville University a few times when my son was going there..and even bald, I knew who he was
I didn’t have to ask who Mark Pope was when he was announced as coach

I had actually kinda forgotten about Marquis Teague. If you said the name I’d say oh yeah he played…
So no, son, you all didn’t build Kentucky. And it’s laughable you think we were nothing before the Calipari era
Shows you what kind of mindset was instilled on them. Cal was all about Cal.

There are several players from that era I forget about. Not because I want to, but becaude they were barely here and gone

Further proof that this program desperately needed a culture change because this crap is not okay.

We compromised ourselves with Cal early on because there was a trade off of success by pushing his brand. Then there came no success and it was only his brand.

Reactions: Saven
Does Teague credit Coach Cal for his long and illustrious NBA career?

This was very predictable because of the way Cal ran this program. It was never about Kentucky. I appreciate the time these guys had here but Cal convinced them all he was bigger than our program and Teague literally said it

In just glad I’ve been saying it for a few years so I don’t look like a hypocrite now that he’s gone and everyone is seeing the light

This is why we ran Cal out of town. He tried to become Kentucky basketball. This is why none of his players respected the school, and they all played for the name on the back of the jersey.

Cal is nothing but a used car salesman who can't coach.

You’d think these guys would be a little more PR minded or savvy. Fine to support Cal, but dragging UK is a mistake. They can say something like “I will always support Cal and hopes he does well, but go Cats.” BBN has had their backs during a lot of their careers. Most will be fine either way, just seems silly to cut off a fanbase who would line up for their autograph or attend a camp.

Oh well, hopefully most get it out of their system and enjoy calling hogs next season.

Let'm go.......we all know better.
Reading Boogie and Teagues insane rhetoric was the problem. These players didn't give 2 💩💩's about UK. Cal cared more about draft night and NBA contracts than winning games at UK. A lot of thise guys played for the name on the back, not the front. THOSE DAYS ARE OVER!

Reactions: CBBCrazy
I think that's what Cal's mission/vision was.

Cal even said as much. His goal was beyond SEC/Dance standards.

There was even a time when Cal himself had a celebrity status that transcended CBB. He was a cult of personality.

But that was about a little 6–8-year bubble, that burst like most bubbles do.

The ever-swinging pendulum is moving back towards what we've seen consistently since Wisconsin beat the greatest collection of talent and names on one team since the Wooden era.

That was it, the grand finale of NBA age rule meets elite/celebrity tier AAU circuit meets marquee name star recruiting meets John Calipari. It all came together had a great showing no doubt about it.

We have to understand there's a generation of player that thinks that is what CBB and blue blood ball is. That was their experience. It's all about 5-star recruits, NBA/AAU circuit style ball, and what coach/program is getting guys to league.

However, they don't realize that prior to them there are several generations, and since them there are new generations of player and ball that are totally different.

Players, coaches, teams, programs who aren't judged/loved because of star rankings, and professional accomplishments, but what they accomplished in college, for the program, as a team.

That brief era of ball and its founder are now in Fayetteville Arkansas. Not at a blue blood, or program in a big destination coastal port city...Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT