ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Zagoria - Donovan (No Interest)

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Not sure if I believe it coming from Zagoria but throwing it out there...

"A source with direct knowledge said Chicago Bulls and former Florida coach Billy Donovan also “has no interest” in the Kentucky job.

Donovan has said he’s focused on coaching the Bulls, who will play in the NBA Play-In Tournament next week."

Every time one of these reports come out saying a coach has no interest there is always someone that doesn't believe it. I agree that these talking heads know a lot less than they lead you to believe, but why would it surprise anyone that Hurley, Donovan, and Oats wouldn't be interested. It's very believable to me.

Last edited:
Well this totally contradicts a host of other media heads saying he did have interest.

I'll hold out, hopefully long enough to find out.

One painful note in that article was that Pope already had a Zoom call with UK. Maybe that's what they were doing all day in NYC - pitching Hurley's agent, and then crawling off to a WeWork site to run zoom calls.

If no Donovan, and they get zero go ahead for Oats after offering the buyout and $7 million/year, then they should move directly to Lloyd, Pearl and Beard. Hell, call Mark Few just for shits and giggles. Worst he can say is NO, which we're used to by now.

There should not be mention of Pope, Miller, or Smart until literally all other options are exhausted.

If Billy D isn’t interested go get Bruce Pearl… I love Pope but still a little to green behind the ears for the UK job. Sounds like Mitch already interviewed him by Zoom for the job though
Personally, I don't want Pearl. I would rather find a young hungry coach than Pearl. If we are going to hire an old man why not Samson? He's a much better coach.

Not sure if I believe it coming from Zagoria but throwing it out there...

"A source with direct knowledge said Chicago Bulls and former Florida coach Billy Donovan also “has no interest” in the Kentucky job.

Donovan has said he’s focused on coaching the Bulls, who will play in the NBA Play-In Tournament next week."
He said that in an interview the other day

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
Donovan couldn't have said this 2 days ago?

If this is true.. this is why I'm glad we didn't wait for a guy who turned us down twice. Who hasn't coached a college game in nearly a decade. Good lord, even writing that last sentence I cant help but laugh this this was one of our top choices. The guy didn't like recruiting.. and recruiting is now more important than ever with the transfer portal.

Not shocked he's not interested. Let's move on.

If this is true.. this is why I'm glad we didn't wait for a guy who turned us down twice. Who hasn't coached a college game in nearly a decade. Good lord, even writing that last sentence I cant help but laugh this this was one of our top choices. The guy didn't like recruiting.. and recruiting is now more important than ever with the transfer portal.

Move on to what? Mark Pope? LMAO

He did say this two days ago at his preas
Conference. That’s where this info is coming from. He said he is focused on the Bulls. The other info if cap about connection with the bulls.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Zagoria did bury this at the bottom of the article it's not coming out on twitter that Donovan said no.

So still think theres a good chance it isn't over

Doubt he can recruit well enough.

He hasn't won a ncaa tourney game.

Hope it's a 3 year deal and can find a real coach then n 2027.

Wall that's kind of the benefit here.. we don't have to pay him more than like 3 mil, we do a 3 year contract and we laden it tournament success incentives.

Reactions: dl51344
Doubt he can recruit well enough.

He hasn't won a ncaa tourney game.

Hope it's a 3 year deal and can find a real coach then n 2027.
An honest question how do we honestly know if Pope did come here that he wouldn’t kill it. He will be able to recruit to UK and have financial backing to get the players needed. He comes from the Pitino tree.

Reactions: dl51344
Not going to happen. Coaches do not want to come here and be expected to recruit at the level Calipari did, and the pressure of not having been to the Final in ten years. They also don't want to deal with the OAD culture supplanted here.

I don't think our fans expect the next HC to recruit like Cal... and I think the culture of OAD goes with the coach.

Fans would be willing to give Pope a chance

He said he is focused on the Bulls when has he said he has no interest ?

What the hell do you think he is going to say he still coaching JFC people

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT