ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Zagoria - Donovan (No Interest)

Donovan couldn't have said this 2 days ago?

If this is true.. this is why I'm glad we didn't wait for a guy who turned us down twice. Who hasn't coached a college game in nearly a decade. Good lord, even writing that last sentence I cant help but laugh this this was one of our top choices. The guy didn't like recruiting.. and recruiting is now more important than ever with the transfer portal.

Not shocked he's not interested. Let's move on.
Why everyone wants donovan is a mystery to me. Theres so many good young coaches out there we couod get for less than half of what billy would cost that actually know how to navigate the college landscape.

Already shared them. He is just echoing what he heard Billy say at the press conference. Plus no one with the Bulls would know his intentions. It’s not like Billy is doing around and saying “hey, I’m going to Kentucky” it’s a click bait article.
I know…

This just said “a source with direct knowledge” said he had “no interest”

Really hoping you’re right!

I know…

This just said “a source with direct knowledge” said he had “no interest”

Really hoping you’re right!
Honestly no one knows. I get my info from his friend and former assistant. They are about halfway in the dark also. I’m hoping for the best because I think it would be a splash hire that we need, but you can’t force people to want to uproot their lives on a whim. If we don’t get him, I’m hoping we give Pearl a call.

Wall that's kind of the benefit here.. we don't have to pay him more than like 3 mil, we do a 3 year contract and we laden it tournament success incentives.

I'll just continue to have 0 expectations of this program winning anything that matters n the 2020s. Pope will be just like cal still being here but with way less talent.

I'm not on the he's a great or good coach train either. Cal was way better at UMass and Memphis than pope has been so far.

Chill, we're cool you know that. Just laughing at the notion that Pope is a good hire. Dude has never won a NCAAT game. Barely over .500.

Then respond and actually have a discussion. Otherwise it looks like fly-by woman shit.

I'm not saying Pope is a home run hire. But we're clearly striking out here, would we all agree? At some point, getting a young upstart coach, is better than getting these tier 3 and tier 4 guys.

And what if Pope hits? What if he is of a Hurley caliber?

Idk, I'm very impressed what he did with BYU, a mid major school, in the freaking B12 this year. If you ask me, BYU has no business being in that conference and winning anything more than a handful of games.

Nice little media trick. He “has no interest”. Wonder what could be on the other side of that quote, maybe has not interest right now, maybe until the season is over, who knows

Then respond and actually have a discussion. Otherwise it looks like fly-by woman shit.

I'm not saying Pope is a home run hire. But we're clearly striking out here, would we all agree? At some point, getting a young upstart coach, is better than getting these tier 3 and tier 4 guys.

And what if Pope hits? What if he is of a Hurley caliber?

Idk, I'm very impressed what he did with BYU, a mid major school, in the freaking B12 this year. If you ask me, BYU has no business being in that conference and winning anything more than a handful of games.
Sometimes I don't feel like replying tbh. Lol.

I just don't want to take that risk on Pope. Need to see more.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Not sure if I believe it coming from Zagoria but throwing it out there...

"A source with direct knowledge said Chicago Bulls and former Florida coach Billy Donovan also “has no interest” in the Kentucky job.

Donovan has said he’s focused on coaching the Bulls, who will play in the NBA Play-In Tournament next week."
Sounds like they interviewed him

Donovan couldn't have said this 2 days ago?

If this is true.. this is why I'm glad we didn't wait for a guy who turned us down twice. Who hasn't coached a college game in nearly a decade. Good lord, even writing that last sentence I cant help but laugh this this was one of our top choices. The guy didn't like recruiting.. and recruiting is now more important than ever with the transfer portal.

Not shocked he's not interested. Let's move on.
Yeah forget Donovan high risk low reward.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Sometimes I don't feel like replying tbh. Lol.

I just don't want to take that risk on Pope. Need to see more.

He's probably not my first of the young guys. I'd go with Golden, maybe even Will Wade. But beggars can't be choosers at this point. And I think I correctly hinted at this happening a few days ago.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Not sure if I believe it coming from Zagoria but throwing it out there...

"A source with direct knowledge said Chicago Bulls and former Florida coach Billy Donovan also “has no interest” in the Kentucky job.

Donovan has said he’s focused on coaching the Bulls, who will play in the NBA Play-In Tournament next week."

Zags is full of crap

What don't you like about Mark Pope?

If you think he's beneath the Kentucky coaching job, you haven't been paying attention.
Pope has nada. No ties to recruiting in the area, no real name cred. The only reason his name is circulated is because he’s a former wildcat. His Mormon roster isn’t following him to Kentucky who would he bring to the roster? He’s Matt Daugherty and I’d hate to fire him after 1 year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT