ADVERTISEMENT

ACC!

The media is largely northeastern and coastal elite blowhards that hate us and hate the south. Just go back and watch the collective shit the networks took when they realized the shifting was probably going to eliminate the ACC next after the big east. Their worst fears are being confirmed, the SEC is going to destroy everything in their path until we have the most wealthy and poweful super conference. North Carolina, Clemson, Fla St, and Virginia / Virginia tech / Miami etc and the network ACC guys cannot handle it. They’re already sounding alarms and pushing for UNC to make sure Duke goes with them, or asking for an all out merger of both leagues in some fashion. Bilas was openly upset and pushing these ideas during the last shift. ESPN looked like a funeral.

They are not willing to accept it and are still trying to pretend the ACC is a premier conference. It’s going to take some time for them to be forced to give it.

The media is largely northeastern and coastal elite blowhards that hate us and hate the south. Just go back and watch the collective shit the networks took when they realized the shifting was probably going to eliminate the ACC next after the big east. Their worst fears are being confirmed, the SEC is going to destroy everything in their path until we have the most wealthy and poweful super conference. North Carolina, Clemson, Fla St, and Virginia / Virginia tech / Miami etc and the network ACC guys cannot handle it. They’re already sounding alarms and pushing for UNC to make sure Duke goes with them, or asking for an all out merger of both leagues in some fashion. Bilas was openly upset and pushing these ideas during the last shift. ESPN looked like a funeral.

They are not willing to accept it and are still trying to pretend the ACC is a premier conference. It’s going to take some time for them to be forced to give it.
Tbh, the geographic SEC died when Missouri was let in. I don't even know that you can call the conference southern anymore. Throw in Oklahoma. And its iffy at best.

The Big 12, SEC and Big East rule this year
Eh. Big 12 is all Houston and Iowa St. everyone one below that looks meh. Big East is UConn. Verifying and Marquette are decent. But not scary.

SEC has been solid 1-6. With USC and UF rounding out competitive teams. UT is good. We can be good. Auburn and Bama are decent. USC and UF are decent and can beat you.

I’d absolutely say we are the tougher conference this season.

Tbh, the geographic SEC died when Missouri was let in. I don't even know that you can call the conference southern anymore. Throw in Oklahoma. And its iffy at best.

I see this often but I’m from the corner of west, Tennessee. Hayti Missouri is as southern as it gets, way more so than a lot of places in Florida or other states in the south. I realize St. Louis and surrounding areas are definitely Midwest. Across to (close) to Branson, up the Cumberland plat, toward the lake of the ozarks, across to Cape G, that’s all really southern(ish) area. It’s more lopsided than, say, Kentucky (northern Kentucky vs. the rest), but definitely culturally southern regions in the southeast especially. There’s no difference in people or customs from southeast Missouri and northwest tn. We can get away with Missouri because of that. Oklahoma becomes more difficult, Texas gets the pass, Virginia VT or North Carolina will end the modern southern reign of the SEC. They are coastal elites these days and resemble more of your northeastern folks than southerners imo.

Thats how I view it anyway, but there’s no doubt southeast Missouri is 100% as “southern” as parts of Tennessee.

Last edited:
I see this often but I’m from the corner of west, Tennessee. Hayti Missouri is as southern as it gets, way more so than a lot of places in Florida or other states in the south. I realize St. Louis and surrounding areas are definitely Midwest. Across to (close) to Branson, up the Cumberland plat, toward the lake of the ozarks, across to Cape G, that’s all really southern(ish) area. It’s more lopsided than, say, Kentucky (northern Kentucky vs. the rest), but definitely culturally southern regions in the southeast especially. There’s no difference in people or customs from southeast Missouri and northwest tn. We can get away with Missouri because of that. Oklahoma becomes more difficult, Texas gets the pass, Virginia VT or North Carolina will end the modern southern reign of the SEC. They are coastal elites these days and resemble more of your northeastern folks than southerners imo.

Thats how I view it anyway, but there’s no doubt southeast Missouri is 100% as “southern” as parts of Tennessee.

Not at all related to this topic, but this feels like a great time to toss this geographic tidbit in. Johnson City TN is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis.

Yeah I agree. Don't forget the little dixie area of Missouri. Settled by Kentuckians and Tenneesseeans. They grew cotton and tobbaco there before the civil war. High number of confederate enlistments from that region too. But it's all relative. Some folks in Louisiana and Alabama don't see Tenn or KY as southern It's crazy lol. Had a guy tell me Arkansas was the midwest. I'll never call myself anything other than a southerner. I can't identify with anything else. Maybe plain old american, but that's boring. Hell, my courthouse has a confederate statue.

I think we have to be careful what we wish for. The SEC has become a top notch basketball conference, and it has obviously had an effect on us. Football is only going to get worse for us with Oklahoma and Texas showing up. We had a great run in basketball while the rest of the SEC was only paying attention to football, the whole time we were sucking at football. A super conference will make it that much harder for us to succeed in all sports. I think what everyone needs to get used to is the parity that is going to result in a power conference teams taking more losses than everyone is used to before the post season.

Oklahoma is more south than a lot of teams actually but maybe not “South” in culture as much. I’d still take them and Texas over a bunch of pansies from the West Coast.

Eh. Big 12 is all Houston and Iowa St. everyone one below that looks meh. Big East is UConn. Verifying and Marquette are decent. But not scary.

SEC has been solid 1-6. With USC and UF rounding out competitive teams. UT is good. We can be good. Auburn and Bama are decent. USC and UF are decent and can beat you.

I’d absolutely say we are the tougher conference this season.
The Big 12 has a lot of quality teams, Kansas when healthy, TCU, Iowa State, BYU. I’ve watched a lot of Big East play too. Lot of quality teams. Obviously top heavy but that league is way above the ACC right now in quality.

Yeah I agree. Don't forget the little dixie area of Missouri. Settled by Kentuckians and Tenneesseeans. They grew cotton and tobbaco there before the civil war. High number of confederate enlistments from that region too. But it's all relative. Some folks in Louisiana and Alabama don't see Tenn or KY as southern It's crazy lol. Had a guy tell me Arkansas was the midwest. I'll never call myself anything other than a southerner. I can't identify with anything else. Maybe plain old american, but that's boring. Hell, my courthouse has a confederate statue.
That guy was dumb AF then Arkansas is as south as it gets.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The Big 12 has a lot of quality teams, Kansas when healthy, TCU, Iowa State, BYU. I’ve watched a lot of Big East play too. Lot of quality teams. Obviously top heavy but that league is way above the ACC right now in quality.
BYU is good. Above the ACC? Oh for sure. I just don’t think they’re as tough top to bottom as they usually are.

Heck KU even when healthy wasn’t THAT impressive.

Reactions: Fox2monk
And UNC will be awarded a 1 seed and Duke likely a 3 at worst but possibly a 2.
Scheyer's job has been saved by the fact that the ACC is trash. If they played in the ACC from 8-10 years ago they would have 10-12 losses each of the last 2 years. Their players haven't developed and gotten better and he has squandered talent both years.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Is this true? Doesn't seem possible
Down the road, Windsor is 531 miles. Memphis is 496. Through the air Windsor is slightly closer. 417 miles by air to Windsor, 444 to Memphis.

Windsor is by Detroit. We are not talking BC here. Canada dips down.

Parts of KY are closer to Canada than Fulton. Parts of Texas are closer to Illinois than west Texas. Maine is the closest state to Africa.

Just checked, Texarkana is closer to Chicago than El Paso.

Last edited:
Down the road, Windsor is 531 miles. Memphis is 496. Through the air Windsor is slightly closer. 417 miles by air to Windsor, 444 to Memphis.

Parts of KY are closer to Canada than Fulton. Parts of Texas are closer to Illinois than west Texas. Maine is the closest state to Africa.
Learn something every day if you keep your eyes/ears open...

Is this true? Doesn't seem possible
It’s possible, but whether or not it’s true might depend on your perspective. If we are talking about a straight line from Johnson City to the line in Lake Erie that is technically Canada or Pelee island, it’s probably true (but I didn't verify). If we are talking about actual driving distance from Johnson City, then it’s 496 miles to Memphis and 531 miles to Windsor, Canada.

So, at the very least Johnson City is as close to Canada as it is to Memphis. Mind you, the drive to Windsor or Detroit will take about 2 hours longer, but the mileage is almost the same.

If you’re curious, Lexington is also much closer to Canada than it is Memphis, and it’s closer to both of them than Johnson city is. In fact, Lexington is nearly as close to Toronto as Johnson city is to Memphis. That also means that aside from UT and Vandy, UK is closer to Canada than it is every other member of the SEC.

Last edited:

I think UNC, if they go anywhere, will go to the Big Ten

Just checked, Texarkana is closer to Chicago than El Paso.
Love stuff like this. We drove to LA a few years ago from south central KY. Got to Tucumcari, NM. Checked maps on phone and realized we were only about half way there.

Not at all related to this topic, but this feels like a great time to toss this geographic tidbit in. Johnson City TN is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis.
I always found it funny on the Travis Tritt song Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde that he says "It's a long way to Richmond rolling north on 95". Then he says "we met at a truck stop in Johnson City TN" which is no where near I95. Whoever wrote the song must have failed geography class.🤣

That guy was dumb AF then Arkansas is as south as it gets.
That's a common thing in the deep south. They don't consider Arkansas, Kentucky, or Virginia. Sometimes North Carolina gets the boot too. Mostly just gatekeepers that think southern culture is a monolith.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I would have liked Clemson to be the 7 seed and face up with Duke rather then Duke getting a bye to the next round (NC St / Syracuse)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT