ADVERTISEMENT

AAF gone

usinfantrycat85

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2015
Well that didnt last long. League ran out of money before the first playoff game. You cant compete with the NFL so why even try. I would rather see a prison league like on the Longest Yard than that crap.

Well that didnt last long. League ran out of money before the first playoff game. You cant compete with the NFL so why even try. I would rather see a prison league like on the Longest Yard than that crap.

Couldn't they have seen that coming up front? Didn't someone do a budget for the league?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
This is great news compared to what I expected when I saw the title...

I thought you were saying RS Fr Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald was leaving the program. I was disappointed b/c he seems like one of those athletic freaks who develops exponentially b/c he just started playing football.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Its my understanding a lot of the front end investors did so under the assumption that the AAF was going to get a deal with the NFL to make it a de facto minor league. Once the NFL said no (no idea why. NCAAF$ surely has something to say about it) the investors pulled.

Damn shame, the football was definitely watchable.

I hate to hear this. I watched several games and thought the games were getting better as the offenses continued to get better. The stands were almost always empty. Can’t make money when no one shows up. I liked some of the difference in the game. I don’t think they were trying to compete with the NFL like other leagues have. It was more of a minor league for football. I liked the fact that the players were not paid outrageous salaries. I think they made $10,000 a game. Which is not bad for playing a Game you love.

This is great news compared to what I expected when I saw the title...

I thought you were saying RS Fr Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald was leaving the program. I was disappointed b/c he seems like one of those athletic freaks who develops exponentially b/c he just started playing football.
I thought the same thing.....

Over the weekend I was flipping channels and came across a football game and I thought WTH is that, then I realized it was the AAF. I didn’t bother watching it.

I thought the same thing.....

Over the weekend I was flipping channels and came across a football game and I thought WTH is that, then I realized it was the AAF. I didn’t bother watching it.

So you are the one to blame, huh. lol

Reactions: ukalum1988
Austin ended up 9/9 for Memphis...can't believe he can't catch on with an NFL team.
This is exactly why a league like this is important. Players like Austin, offensive lineman, etc. have no place to show there talents since the NFL shut down the NFL-ER league. But, I think they start to early. Should start and finish a few weeks before NFL training camps. Who watches baseball anyway? JMac

It takes a ton of money to run a pay for play football league when you figure in salaries for players, coaches and support staff from the trainers to the media and front office, not to mention equipment, facilities, insurance and other stuff. When you don't have much in television revenue coming in, it's tough to make a go of it on ticket sales even if the crowds were decent.

The next version of the XFL will meet the same fate. The only way something could survive would be to have an NFL backed developmental league, maybe even something like 8 man football that would focus on the development of the QB & WR positions.

Reactions: jauk11

They were awful at promotion. I never had a clue when there was a game or how to watch. Pathetic. Especially considering it was a decent product.

This has long reaching effects. Will determine alot of players from signing on to the next NFL competitor. Who wants to suddenly be kicked out of a hotel?

I think the only way any kind of football league could really compete with the NFL is if they really think outside the box.

The NFL has mastered football as we currently understand it.

Any alternative league needs to seriously consider the following:

-Running clock. Period. Like soccer.
-3 downs and or 15 yards for a first down (give the defense some love and play FOIL to NFL offensive skewed game)
-No special teams. No extra points or FGs. Save time and overhead.

Also, don't have your season during the home stretch of both NBA and NCAA basketball and the start of baseball season. Have it during FOOTBALL SEASON when people are consuming football. Have teams and games in sports-loving college towns that don't have pro baseball or football, or really much else.

Tuscaloosa, Athens, Austin, Columbus, Ann Arbor, etc...not Salt Lake, San Diego, and San Antonio...Know your audience and go to them!

Agree that the route AAF and XFL need to take is a partnership with the NFL to start a real minor league/farm type of system.

League could also replace the Thursday night games that every team and player hates, and broadcast a minor league game instead. People in Kentucky (Louisville and or Lex) ain't got shit else to do on a Thursday during football season.

I think the only way any kind of football league could really compete with the NFL is if they really think outside the box.

The NFL has mastered football as we currently understand it.

Any alternative league needs to seriously consider the following:

-Running clock. Period. Like soccer.
-3 downs and or 15 yards for a first down (give the defense some love and play FOIL to NFL offensive skewed game)
-No special teams. No extra points or FGs. Save time and overhead.

Also, don't have your season during the home stretch of both NBA and NCAA basketball and the start of baseball season. Have it during FOOTBALL SEASON when people are consuming football. Have teams and games in sports-loving college towns that don't have pro baseball or football, or really much else.

Tuscaloosa, Athens, Austin, Columbus, Ann Arbor, etc...not Salt Lake, San Diego, and San Antonio...Know your audience and go to them!

Agree that the route AAF and XFL need to take is a partnership with the NFL to start a real minor league/farm type of system.

League could also replace the Thursday night games that every team and player hates, and broadcast a minor league game instead. People in Kentucky (Louisville and or Lex) ain't got shit else to do on a Thursday during football season.

I was hoping they'd put an AAF team in Cincinnati. That might be a good town for a pro Football team. If they had an AAf team in Lexington, I'd have bought season tickets. From the time the Super Bowl ends until the ncaa tournament starts, I find there's little of interest in sports.

The NFL season is long enough as it is. Don't need more Pro football. Football fatigue sets in as well. Need a break from it imo.
This.

The first few weeks were decent because ppl were curious and it capitalized on post CFB Playoffs and NFL/Superbowl momentum.

Then March happened and ppl who follow sports starts paying attention to March Madness/NBA Playoff race and College baseball/MLB opening day kicking off.

There are only so many sport junkies around and there isn't enough "football only" ppl to carry the league viewership. The other people who enjoy all sports are going to stick to the season and choose the established products above over a JV football league. There are too many established competitors that casual sports fans already have ties and allegiance to. Supply>Demand

Reactions: Cawood86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT