ADVERTISEMENT

A win over the vols

The facts of the last 8 years proves that TN has performed about the same as UK. However, UK is not the benchmark for top 10/nationally relevant.

Let’s go broader - say 20 years - and see the facts. In the last 20 years:

- TN has had 9 losing season. So, 45% of TN last 20 seasons have been losing seasons.
- TN has won double digit games 3 times. So, 15% of TN last 20 seasons have produced 10 or more wins.
- TN has played in the SEC Championship game 2 times and not in the last 14 years.
- TN has no SEC championships in the last 20 years. In that time, 5 SEC teams have won 3 or more SEC championships.

These numbers and the results on the field say exactly what every non-TN college football fan knows - TN is a middle of the pack SEC team and probably on the lower end of middle. TN fans cling to some belief that TN has been top 10 / nationally relevant team. It just ain’t so. As I quoted the old coach above: “You are what your record says you are.”

TN has an outstanding season going with several tough games yet to play. Finish this season in the SEC championship game and string together a few more just like it, then TN earns the right to say it is top 10/nationally relevant. Until then, such talk is delusional.
Can't argue with you overall other than to say UT has been historically a top 10 team, but obviously the last 15 years have made that fact rather meaningless. Which makes this year so far so much fun.

Not gonna lie. I wasn't expecting this. But it's fun to be relevant and in the national conversation again.

Reactions: Pike 96
If the cats can control the clock by dominating top, this game will come down to the fourth quarter. Vol fans don’t want to accept this. But make no mistake, it will come down to the fourth quarter just like against bama. Write it down vols.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Your team is good this year but the fans are delusional as usual. Offense very good, Defense still meh..500 yards to Bama?
Bama had 20 penalties(including a BS pass interence call to save the game), a horrible gift muffed punt, dropped pass last drive to RB that would have made FG a chip shot. So spare me on the typical over confidence. Bama would roll UT on neutral field if they played again and you know it
You know I want Kentucky to win but Pike everything you just named is part of a football game. Never understand The reasoning and statements like the above. Bama had all that and did all that. The opinion about rolling UT on a neutral field if they played again? How in the hell do you know that ?

Last edited:
Seem overly confident and while I think it will be a tall task for the cats it isn’t as clear cut as you think. We won @florida by 10 with our best player not yet seeing a minute of action. You beat florida at home by 5 and gave up 33 points to a squad we only gave 16 and shut out on the 2nd half.
And yet we lost to a mediocre South Carolina team goes both ways

Agree with the 7-in regard to our nations leaving
That wasn't Pike 96's point. It was that TN has not been a top 10 program in the last 24 years and your comeback is to compare TN vs UK the last 10 years. The fact that you compared TN to UK is the best evidence that his point remains. UK knows it isn't a top 10 program but TN continues under the delusion that it is top 10.

UK has been top 20-30ish (some years better and some years worse) the last 10 years and, as your comparison shows, so has TN. UK has 2 Citrus Bowls, a Gator Bowl, a Belk Bowl, a Music City Bowl and a TaxSlayer Bowl. TN has two Music City Bowls, an Outback Bowl, a Gator Bowl and a Taxslayer Bowl in the last 10 years. TN's record and bowl appearances (and UK's as well) is not the stuff of a top 10 program. If you want to see what a top 10 program's resume really looks like, I suggest you compare TN's record/bowl appearances to Georgia and Alabama for the last 10 years.

BTW, if you use the last 8 years, which Pike 96 referenced, UK's record is 57-43 (57%) while TN is 52-48 (52%) and UK's bowl appearances have been generally to better bowls. I stuck with your 10 years to keep TN from looking even worse in comparison to UK.

There is also less objective and more circumstantial evidence that TN is not top 10. Top 10 programs don't lose 15 years in a row to an annual opponent and its fans never, ever rush the field.
Well by that logic UK will never be any good considering our incredible Record setting losing streaks against Florida and Tennessee sometimes the logic on here astounds me.

Last edited:
Ok we are not beating Tennessee. Let’s just clear that up right now. We actually match up better with Georgia. If we go 4-1 it would be an awesome season.

Yes, when you choose a totally arbitrary period of time to best fit a narrative the comparison typically looks worse. The reality is college football is cyclical. The quality of a program is defined by the heights you reached in the peaks, and the ability to pull out of valleys. The last 10 years were Tennessee's valley. In particular, the last 5.

If your point is that Tennessee is not a top 10 program because they valley at top 20/30ish for a 10 year period (Kentucky's demonstrated ceiling), I'm not sure you could make a better argument for the strength of the program.

His overarching point was that Tennessee fans were more delusional than Kentucky fans. Any comparison between the potential of the two programs is delusional. I'm 30 and Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 3 times in my life. Ive seen Vanderbilt beat the Vols 6 times. In my parents' lifetime Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 5 times. Tennessee has beaten Alabama 12 times in my life by comparison.

That's delusion.
Ok...reading comprehension isn't your friend clearly...like I said in my LAST post...

How about the LAST 15 years... is that a less arbitrary timeframe for you. You know half of your 30 years...with the other half being when you were playing with yourself and your own shit... you were 92 and 89 for God sake with NINE losing seasons amd I have no idea how many coaches...
That's a pretty damn long cycle...well beyond your adult life ...
but yet you just say it was a top 10 program that was down...got it

Can't argue with you overall other than to say UT has been historically a top 10 team, but obviously the last 15 years have made that fact rather meaningless. Which makes this year so far so much fun.

Not gonna lie. I wasn't expecting this. But it's fun to be relevant and in the national conversation again.
This post I respect...

You know I want Kentucky to win but Pike everything you just named is part of a football game. Never understand The reasoning and statements like the above. Bama had all that and did all that. The opinion about rolling UT on a neutral field if they played again? How in the hell do you know that ?
20 penalties is NOT part of a typical football game. I've never in my life seen Bama look for dysfunctional and undisciplined. Law of averages say they clean up at least a good amount of that in a rematch. plus you take the major home field advantage out of it. which that, it's my strong opinion Bama would roll UT. that's where I get it

You're struggling with the word "cyclical." No one would ever confuse Kentucky's ceiling with the measure of a top program's ceiling, but it is a reasonable floor. I gave you 8 other examples of top teams with extended down cycles
We're still working on remodeling and will thank you for letting us decide where to set the ceiling. What a bunch of typical SEC old boy bullshit. We have no interest in your estimation of our ceiling. As if the Lord himself ordained we cannot improve our football program? I'm sure it would suit you.

You vol fans come to our board talking shat. This is our board and we are talking amongst ourselves about this being the best chance that the Cats have had in my lifetime of upsetting the Vols at Neyland.. This is definitely one of the best UK teams in my lifetime, and if they bring their a game it will be very interesting. I think this is the Cats super bowl and you know how we play in bowl games, 4 straight wins over very good teams!! UK 38 Vols 31. Will Levis establishing himself as the number 1 pick. Crod running down their throat.

You're struggling with the word "cyclical." No one would ever confuse Kentucky's ceiling with the measure of a top program's ceiling, but it is a reasonable floor. I gave you 8 other examples of top teams with extended down cycles
Not struggling at all. Two decades is not a cycle, it is the trend. It is evidence that whatever TN may have been in the past, it is not that now and has a long way to go to just emerge from mid-pack in the SEC, leaving aside being a top 10 program.

With a backup QB who hadn’t seen a snap all year. Backup QB’s have rarely ever been prepared to play meaningful snaps under stoops.
Well, no argument here but that is a coaches job to prepare everyone. I got a hand it to Levis. He is jeopardizing his professional career with our leaky offensive line. … we have to outscore Tennessee, and there is no way in the world. I see that happening.interceptions in his entire career.
20 penalties is NOT part of a typical football game. I've never in my life seen Bama look for dysfunctional and undisciplined. Law of averages say they clean up at least a good amount of that in a rematch. plus you take the major home field advantage out of it. which that, it's my strong opinion Bama would roll UT. that's where I get it
no argument at all… but Bama has been the most penalized team in the SEC all year starting with the Texas game. Saban said he was going to clean it up after that game not only has that not happened it has gotten worse.
I heard on Finebaum yesterday that the decibel level at Neyland Sat night set a record, and that is saying something. However, Bama’s penalties have not been noise related the entire year. The team is flawed. Bama would probably be a three point favorite. I’m going to predict the vols will being a nine point favorite over us.

UT loves the long ball and one of Stoops pet peeves is not allowing the long ball. UT loves as many snaps as they can get and one of Stoops 'philosophies' is to run the ball and burn clock. Not saying we will beat UT but if we are able to do those two things it will at least slow the pace down that they like best.

Could be a competitive game if our offense avoids turnovers and penalties and can score a few TD's instead of FG's. Need Robinson back and Levis playing a calmed down 'take what they give you' game. Would have really liked to have seen this game with our best defensive player Jones because he makes a huge difference in everything on defense. Just can't replace a player like that.

Reactions: Tittys73
For the first tine in 15 years the Tide was on the short end of officiating. The PI at the end was less of a PI than half the snaps the entire gane. How anyone can think the shot on Young wasn't at least roughing the passer, even if he led with the shoulder, which is doesn't natter with roughing the passer, and by definition of targeting it's any part of the body that hits a defenseless player in the neck or head area is targeting. But the Tide whines about every loss, Vols should have been their 3rd of the year. It's by far the worst coaching job of any season Saban has been there. Player developent has gone out the window. Won't be surprised if they don't lose a couple nore this season.

You vol fans come to our board talking shat. This is our board and we are talking amongst ourselves about this being the best chance that the Cats have had in my lifetime of upsetting the Vols at Neyland.. This is definitely one of the best UK teams in my lifetime, and if they bring their a game it will be very interesting. I think this is the Cats super bowl and you know how we play in bowl games, 4 straight wins over very good teams!! UK 38 Vols 31. Will Levis establishing himself as the number 1 pick. Crod running down their throat.
The best UK team in your lifetime got rolled by South Carolina … 😞

For the first tine in 15 years the Tide was on the short end of officiating. The PI at the end was less of a PI than half the snaps the entire gane. How anyone can think the shot on Young wasn't at least roughing the passer, even if he led with the shoulder, which is doesn't natter with roughing the passer, and by definition of targeting it's any part of the body that hits a defenseless player in the neck or head area is targeting. But the Tide whines about every loss, Vols should have been their 3rd of the year. It's by far the worst coaching job of any season Saban has been there. Player developent has gone out the window. Won't be surprised if they don't lose a couple nore this season.
The PI call was the difference in the game. The receiver clearly ran into the DB forcing the contact. The official (not the one closest to the play btw) negated an interception and 70 yard return that would have sealed the game. Now the Vols think they are elite, lol. Gonna be a fun game in Knoxville. GBB

Hear…Hear My Good Man….Hear Hear!!!

There is no if.
Tennessee going to lose by that field goal.
Same field goal that beat Alabama is going to beat them .... And That's if they're lucky.

I know Stoops teams play above their head in these type of games. Take Seven points off the point spread for sure. Not to mention Tennessee throwed the playbook at Alabama. Don't have anything to hide now and plenty of tape..

-10 Tennessee 27
+10 Kentucky 29

Bet the under, take the points and also Kentucky straight up. It's going to be a 4-way winner baby. Three bets and a 9-year-old orange lover crying somewhere. 🛑

Screw you orange loving bastards. I hope you love every second of everything I write. Be that much sweeter in 12 days.
Yea Stoops teams always play over their heads vs Tennessee.🤭

UK will need a fair whistle, something they haven't had all year, for even an outside shot but since UK's never had a fair whistle in Knoxville that won't happen. ESPN/CFP want a TN/Bama rematch, UK win would end that.
Tenn is not winning at Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT