ADVERTISEMENT

A win over the vols

We Play a better style to limit TN but they seem a little much this year. I guess we can always hope they have one of those 4-5 turnover nothing can go right games or maybe we get a pick 6 or our nations leader in return yardage gets loose again

but for now I have 31-24 I don’t think they will be overly great at stopping us (can’t shoot ourselves in the foot but don’t think anyone in the country would be that great at stopping them either.

played a tough game last year. Let’s try not to let them go 80 in 2 plays 2-3 times this game and we will see when the dust settles. Remember KY should probably be 7-0 right now as well.
Agree with the 7-0

Reactions: The-Hack
No offense, but some of this stuff is insane homerism.

We haven't seen a defense like UK's? You really think Alabama has an inferior defense to Kentucky? Honestly? They were #2 in scoring defense as well......before we put 52 points on them. That's with missing two very open long TD passes, having an unforced fumble and INT.

Unless we are just off, it's very unlikely you're holding this offense in check. It is what it is, sorry.

I respect UK. Stoops has done well. You're defense is solid. Levi is a good QB, C-Rod is a hell of a back. You have some weapons outside. We are vulnerable in the secondary. Your problem is your OL is one of the worst in the conference. It's why you're an average offense. Our DL is much better this year, both rushing the passer and stopping the run.

I dont think its a great match up for UK I side Neyland. I respect UK and they can win the game, but I think Tennessee is a very clear favorite. And if we play like we have been offensively, I think it gets away from the Cats by the time it's over. We'll see though.

Don't forget Tennessee has a date with #1 Georgia the next week after us, so they may overlook lowly Kentucky whom they're used to beating.

Reactions: Bluegrass79
Thought I’d see doom and gloom
Over here not supreme confidence “wait til they play us” threads and a win prediction over the vols….. let’s go!!!!
Not exactly supreme confidence without a doubt probably gonna lose, but it will be a different game than most you Vols are thinking. KY can actually cover this year because all of our DBs are actual SEC DBs.
the 2-3 collapses on D, allowing wide open guys to free run more less aren’t happening this year. You’ll probably win, but it’s not exactly going to be a track meet and will be a 35-24 type game which I’d be fine with to the number 3 team in country. Then it ends the next week for you guys anyways, then what if KY and GA gets you then we won’t see the big orange anymore 😩😩😩😩. Pressures on you guys we aren’t supposed to win.

UK will need a fair whistle, something they haven't had all year, for even an outside shot but since UK's never had a fair whistle in Knoxville that won't happen. ESPN/CFP want a TN/Bama rematch, UK win would end that.

Your team is good this year but the fans are delusional as usual. Offense very good, Defense still meh..500 yards to Bama?
Bama had 20 penalties(including a BS pass interence call to save the game), a horrible gift muffed punt, dropped pass last drive to RB that would have made FG a chip shot. So spare me on the typical over confidence. Bama would roll UT on neutral field if they played again and you know it
Our fans are delusional? Oh the irony of this thread .😂

Seriously? For having the opinion that last year's Heisman winner is better than Levis? That's not really a knock on Levis, who I think is a very good QB, and I get that fans tend to be biased towards their own players, but like the rest of the college football world I watched Bryce Young pretty much single-handedly keep his team in the game Saturday. It was an amazing performance by Young. And while Levis is very good I don't think he could ever duplicate what Young did, which is not a knock on Levis. There are very, very few QBs who could have performed like that against the pass rush UT brought at him.
The keys to the game for UK will be CROD, ST and offensive scheme. Hopefully BB has a big game for UK since may puke orange fans thought he wasn't good enough to play in garbage truck workers convention stadium.

We ain't

Yes...We ain't skeered!
love it!!! Good luck to y’all and may the best team win!! Props to what stoops has built there but I don’t see this one being close but that’s why they play the game!!! The way we have carved up every defense we have played and only punted 3 times between bama lsu and Florida…. That’s just an insane stat… Levis will have to play the game of his life and the defense too…Crod is a great back but we just held the best back in the country imo in check and our dline play is really improving game
To game, also probably gonna be an alternate uniform game and in a rowdy neyland stadium, stoops teams also don’t seem to do well after byes but again we shall see

I'm sorry when was your last championship..24 years ago? And yet for the last 24 years you've still considered yourself a top 10 program. including an awful record amd worse than UK over last8 years. Soo, yep, delusional.
Vols are 63-54, and UK is 64-55 since Stoops arrived. He is 2-7 against the Vols. Weird to wave your flag over your best 10 years against Tennessee's worst 10 when you still come out lower on overall win % and h2h.

Sadly, I do not see a Wildcat victory if last week was any indication. Too many penalties and an offense that takes a half to warm up does not give me confidence in UK winning that game.

UT is too fast and their qb too skilled to make critical errors leading to turnovers. Would love to see UK come out of there with a win, but realistically, I don’t see it.
Still love the Cats and hoping for the win - GBB!

Reactions: ala_kat2
Vols are 63-54, and UK is 64-55 since Stoops arrived. He is 2-7 against the Vols. Weird to wave your flag over your best 10 years against Tennessee's worst 10 when you still come out lower on overall win % and h2h.
That wasn't Pike 96's point. It was that TN has not been a top 10 program in the last 24 years and your comeback is to compare TN vs UK the last 10 years. The fact that you compared TN to UK is the best evidence that his point remains. UK knows it isn't a top 10 program but TN continues under the delusion that it is top 10.

UK has been top 20-30ish (some years better and some years worse) the last 10 years and, as your comparison shows, so has TN. UK has 2 Citrus Bowls, a Gator Bowl, a Belk Bowl, a Music City Bowl and a TaxSlayer Bowl. TN has two Music City Bowls, an Outback Bowl, a Gator Bowl and a Taxslayer Bowl in the last 10 years. TN's record and bowl appearances (and UK's as well) is not the stuff of a top 10 program. If you want to see what a top 10 program's resume really looks like, I suggest you compare TN's record/bowl appearances to Georgia and Alabama for the last 10 years.

BTW, if you use the last 8 years, which Pike 96 referenced, UK's record is 57-43 (57%) while TN is 52-48 (52%) and UK's bowl appearances have been generally to better bowls. I stuck with your 10 years to keep TN from looking even worse in comparison to UK.

There is also less objective and more circumstantial evidence that TN is not top 10. Top 10 programs don't lose 15 years in a row to an annual opponent and its fans never, ever rush the field.

Last edited:
Thought I said 8 years wasn't it 8 years..because Stoops inherited a team that last to Vandy 40-0 the year before he got here so the first two seasons he went 4-20.
Since, UT has been 59-42 amd 62-45. with H2H 2-6, which isn't good but that wasn't my point. And if you look at the last 15 years UTs record has been a horrific 92-89 with NINE losing seasons.

So back to the original topic of delusional fans...UK fans are ecstatic to be a legit top 25 program that can play with everyone on the schedule for the first time since the 70s. We don't claim to be a college powerhouse.
UT fans on the other hand still consider themselves a nationally prominent top 10 type program while getting waxed by your three biggest rivals (UGA, UF, and UA) over the last 15 years, barely being above .500 with 9 losing seasons. Yep...delusional. And the worst fan base in the SEC by far. Enjoy your board

That wasn't Pike 96's point. It was that TN has not been a top 10 program in the last 24 years and your comeback is to compare TN vs UK the last 10 years. The fact that you compared TN to UK is the best evidence that his point remains. UK knows it isn't a top 10 program but TN continues under the delusion that it is top 10.

UK has been top 20-30ish (some years better and some years worse) the last 10 years and, as your comparison shows, so has TN. UK has 2 Citrus Bowls, a Gator Bowl, a Belk Bowl, a Music City Bowl and a TaxSlayer Bowl. TN has two Music City Bowls, an Outback Bowl, a Gator Bowl and a Taxslayer Bowl in the last 10 years. TN's record and bowl appearances (and UK's as well) is not the stuff of a top 10 program. If you want to see what a top 10 program's resume really looks like, I suggest you compare TN's record/bowl appearances to Georgia and Alabama for the last 10 years.

BTW, if you use the last 8 years, which Pike 96 referenced, UK's record is 57-43 (57%) while TN is 52-48 (52%) and UK's bowl appearances have been generally to better bowls. I stuck with your 10 years to keep TN from looking even worse in comparison to UK.

There is also less objective and more circumstantial evidence that TN is not top 10. Top 10 programs don't lose 15 years in a row to an annual opponent and its fans never, ever rush the field.
Well said...

Ut's big win over Bama is a great parallel to Iu's big regular season wins over the Cats in Bloomington forever ago .. both fan bases thought it brought back some relevance to their pitiful ass programs , and both have still accomplished basically nothing the past 20- years .. Great regular season wins are not the stuff legends are made of .. UK football isnt great , its simply exciting to have improved steadily the past 5 years . And the fan base states it frequently , we are no where close to Bama or Ga .. but Ut's bunch of delusion dipshits still think their program is a threat to the SEC title the past 20 years .

Yes, when you choose a totally arbitrary period of time to best fit a narrative the comparison typically looks worse. The reality is college football is cyclical. The quality of a program is defined by the heights you reached in the peaks, and the ability to pull out of valleys. The last 10 years were Tennessee's valley. In particular, the last 5.

If your point is that Tennessee is not a top 10 program because they valley at top 20/30ish for a 10 year period (Kentucky's demonstrated ceiling), I'm not sure you could make a better argument for the strength of the program.

His overarching point was that Tennessee fans were more delusional than Kentucky fans. Any comparison between the potential of the two programs is delusional. I'm 30 and Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 3 times in my life. Ive seen Vanderbilt beat the Vols 6 times. In my parents' lifetime Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 5 times. Tennessee has beaten Alabama 12 times in my life by comparison.

That's delusion.

You sound like a fool and are embarrassing yourself. UT just played Bama and you're acting like they haven't faced a good QB or defense yet. That's idiotic

I know how good UT is, I started a thread well before the UT vs Bama game telling everyone UT was gonna win. God this make me sick lol

And with that said yeah, we have a small chance. We need the stars to align and for Hooker to have his first off game of the year. We need some turnovers and some luck probably. Tennessee's offense is stupid good. Our defense is very good as well, we play like we did 2nd half against miss st we can hang around

Our offense has to play great to win, period. Levis has to be great and take care of the football.

Stoops and Scang can't make dumb ass decisions either.

As everyone can see to do all above is a tall order. Hopefully Tennessee is looking ahead to UGA as well

Some of our fans besides hero Kwilt need to maybe calm down as well. I mean y'all just aren't dealing in the facts provided in reality about this game. I hate it too, but I'm man enough to admit we aren't the better team here. And I'm only partly delusional. I'm just beyond tired of irrational UK basketball fan and now we have irrational football fans, I've seen it all.
This isn't a typical UK football team and we would be undefeated but for a good ole boy flag in Oxford and Levis’ Turf toe.
You guys are up ish creek.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Yes, when you choose a totally arbitrary period of time to best fit a narrative the comparison typically looks worse. The reality is college football is cyclical. The quality of a program is defined by the heights you reached in the peaks, and the ability to pull out of valleys. The last 10 years were Tennessee's valley. In particular, the last 5.

If your point is that Tennessee is not a top 10 program because they valley at top 20/30ish for a 10 year period (Kentucky's demonstrated ceiling), I'm not sure you could make a better argument for the strength of the program.

His overarching point was that Tennessee fans were more delusional than Kentucky fans. Any comparison between the potential of the two programs is delusional. I'm 30 and Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 3 times in my life. Ive seen Vanderbilt beat the Vols 6 times. In my parents' lifetime Kentucky has beaten Tennessee 5 times. Tennessee has beaten Alabama 12 times in my life by comparison.

That's delusion.
You still are trying to prove TN is Top 10 and nationally relevant by reference to UK and now Vandy. TN is having a good season so far (with some tough games still remaining) but that does not erase a 10 year record of being on the same plane as UK. Go win a few East titles and an SEC championship and then maybe TN reaches national relevance / Top 10 status. Until then, TN is just another SEC team looking up at GA and AL that has finished below UK in the East standings 4 of the last 8 years. In fact, here is the average finish in the SEC East over the last 8 years:

GA - 1.75
FL - 2.75
KY - 3.75
TN - 4.125
MO - 4.5
SC - 4.6
V - 6.25

Again, I know TN fans like to speak in hyperbole and not facts. But facts are facts - TN has averaged being no better than the 4th best team in the SEC East over the last 8 years but yet wants to believe it is Top 10 nationally. That’s delusional.

[Edit: As a wise coach once said: “You are what your record says you are.”]

Last edited:
I think the vols and ole miss have similar teams. The cats should have won that game on the road. I think this game could be similar to that game. I just think the vols are underestimating this years uk team.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Yet we are not the ones claiming to be Alabama's equal! Even Sat doesn't do that for you. It's one game. By the way, we were robbed of last year's game. It's part of the game and yesterday you got the calls and the breaks.

• Haha
Reactions: bassmaster_vol
I think the vols and ole miss have similar teams. The cats should have won that game on the road. I think this game could be similar to that game. I just think the vols are underestimating this years uk team.
Not at all. UK is ranked for a reason.

You still are trying to prove TN is Top 10 and nationally relevant by reference to UK and now Vandy. TN is having a good season so far (with some tough games still remaining) but that does not erase a 10 year record of being on the same plane as UK. Go win a few East titles and an SEC championship and then maybe TN reaches national relevance / Top 10 status. Until then, TN is just another SEC team looking up at GA and AL that has finished below UK in the East standings 4 of the last 8 years. In fact, here is the average finish in the SEC East over the last 8 years:

GA - 1.75
FL - 2.75
KY - 3.75
TN - 4.125
MO - 4.5
SC - 4.6
V - 6.25

Again, I know TN fans like to speak in hyperbole and not facts. But facts are facts - TN has averaged being no better than the 4 best team in the SEC East over the last 8 years but yet wants to believe it is Top 10 nationally. That’s delusional.
Tennessee fans know college football didn't start 8 years ago and have seen programs regress to their means over time. Tennessee will not stay the Tennessee of the 2010's. Top 10 programs don't cease to be top 10 programs because they were bad for 10 years. OU in the 90s, Bama pre-Saban, LSU 90s, Michigan 2005-14, UGA 88-97, Florida Muschamp-McElwain, ND mid 90s-2011, Texas since 2009, USC late 80s-early 2000s. The overwhelming majority of the time a top program valleys, they bounce back. Nebraska is the exception, not the rule.

You guys beat a down Bama squad, who should have run on you late to get into better FG position then played piss poor coverage on you to allow you to get in chip shot FG range, and you think you are Gods gift to football. LOL!

Well you havent played this group of Wildcats yet and we are coming down there in a few weeks and we are bringin hell with us!
Cats better not be bringing the hell that’s the strength of our economy

No offense, but some of this stuff is insane homerism.

We haven't seen a defense like UK's? You really think Alabama has an inferior defense to Kentucky? Honestly? They were #2 in scoring defense as well......before we put 52 points on them. That's with missing two very open long TD passes, having an unforced fumble and INT.

Unless we are just off, it's very unlikely you're holding this offense in check. It is what it is, sorry.

I respect UK. Stoops has done well. You're defense is solid. Levi is a good QB, C-Rod is a hell of a back. You have some weapons outside. We are vulnerable in the secondary. Your problem is your OL is one of the worst in the conference. It's why you're an average offense. Our DL is much better this year, both rushing the passer and stopping the run.

I dont think its a great match up for UK I side Neyland. I respect UK and they can win the game, but I think Tennessee is a very clear favorite. And if we play like we have been offensively, I think it gets away from the Cats by the time it's over. We'll see though.
Our defense gave up 20 to OM, 16 to Fla and 17 to MSU. We'll see how it goes.

Tennessee fans know college football didn't start 8 years ago and have seen programs regress to their means over time. Tennessee will not stay the Tennessee of the 2010's. Top 10 programs don't cease to be top 10 programs because they were bad for 10 years. OU in the 90s, Bama pre-Saban, LSU 90s, Michigan 2005-14, UGA 88-97, Florida Muschamp-McElwain, ND mid 90s-2011, Texas since 2009, USC late 80s-early 2000s. The overwhelming majority of the time a top program valleys, they bounce back. Nebraska is the exception, not the rule.Tennessee fans know college football didn't start 8 years ago and have seen programs regress to their means over time. Tennessee will not stay the Tennessee of the 2010's. Top 10 programs don't cease to be top 10 programs because they were bad for 10 years. OU in the 90s, Bama pre-Saban, LSU 90s, Michigan 2005-14, UGA 88-97, Florida Muschamp-McElwain, ND mid 90s-2011, Texas since 2009, USC late 80s-early 2000s. The overwhelming majority of the time a top program valleys, they bounce back. Nebraska is the exception, not the rule.
The facts of the last 8 years proves that TN has performed about the same as UK. However, UK is not the benchmark for top 10/nationally relevant.

Let’s go broader - say 20 years - and see the facts. In the last 20 years:

- TN has had 9 losing season. So, 45% of TN last 20 seasons have been losing seasons.
- TN has won double digit games 3 times. So, 15% of TN last 20 seasons have produced 10 or more wins.
- TN has played in the SEC Championship game 2 times and not in the last 14 years.
- TN has no SEC championships in the last 20 years. In that time, 5 SEC teams have won 3 or more SEC championships.

These numbers and the results on the field say exactly what every non-TN college football fan knows - TN is a middle of the pack SEC team and probably on the lower end of middle. TN fans cling to some belief that TN has been top 10 / nationally relevant team. It just ain’t so. As I quoted the old coach above: “You are what your record says you are.”

TN has an outstanding season going with several tough games yet to play. Finish this season in the SEC championship game and string together a few more just like it, then TN earns the right to say it is top 10/nationally relevant. Until then, such talk is delusional.

Here are facts. In the last 20 complete season:
- TN had 9 losing season
- TN has won double digit games 3 times.
- TN has played for the conference championship

The facts of the last 8 years proves that TN has performed about the same as UK. However, UK is not the benchmark for top 10/nationally relevant.

Let’s go broader - say 20 years - and see the facts. In the last 20 years:

- TN has had 9 losing season. So, 45% of TN last 20 seasons have been losing seasons.
- TN has won double digit games 3 times. So, 15% of TN last 20 seasons have produced 10 or more wins.
- TN has played in the SEC Championship game 2 times and not in the last 14 years.
- TN has no SEC championships in the last 20 years. In that time, 5 SEC teams have won 3 or more SEC championships.

These numbers and the results on the field say exactly what every non-TN college football fan knows - TN is a middle of the pack SEC team and probably on the lower end of middle. TN fans cling to some belief that TN has been top 10 / nationally relevant team. It just ain’t so. As I quoted the old coach above: “You are what your record says you are.”

TN has an outstanding season going with several tough games yet to play. Finish this season in the SEC championship game and string together a few more just like it, then TN earns the right to say it is top 10/nationally relevant. Until then, such talk is delusional.
You're struggling with the word "cyclical." No one would ever confuse Kentucky's ceiling with the measure of a top program's ceiling, but it is a reasonable floor. I gave you 8 other examples of top teams with extended down cycles

Reactions: bassmaster_vol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT