ADVERTISEMENT

A serious discussion needs to happen!

With all due respect, "political correctness" is much different than trying to limit the amount of 50-year old former football players from asking their spouses where they left their tricycle or what their children's names are. Wouldn't you agree?
Being politically correct can sometimes still be correct.
I loved watching Ronnie Lott try to decapitate people and watching Earl Campbell lower his helmet into a linebacker's sternum. But I think their quality of life outweighs what I want to watch. (Sorry if that sounds too liberal. ;) ;)

But we still allow people to smoke, which we know is detrimental to their health. We allow people to consume excessive amounts of alcohol. These guys should be allowed to make evaluate the rewards and risks, then make their own decisions. We even make marijuana legal in some places though we know it is one of the gateway drugs.

You are right. Being pc can sometimes still be correct, but it is a very rare occasion.

Has nothing to do with political correctness. Serious brain injuries and unnatural death from football should not be a political issue. It's a fact. The science just finally understands it better and you're starting to see old, but not real old football players dying from it. Not to mention they are finding evidence of trauma in younger players as well.

Sorry, you can't blame everything on PC.
Well, wasn't it always this way? Now, it is politically correct to criticize the game millions love. Wave a banner, post a blog, speak out on the town square and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

This is an example of how successful they've been in getting their agenda driven message out.
Agenda? What a joke. Knowing what we know now, letting your kids play football is nothing short of child abuse.

Political correctness has made its way into this sport and it will ultimately diminish its popularity and participation. The PC police are out in force.
What the world needs is more vegetables and suicide victims.

Im sure that's what's coming next. Thanks for giving us another example of the hysteria they have created.
636182018087261314-1629676831_junior-seau-120502-02-CP.jpg

Hysteria.

Football is dieing a slow death because of "player safety". Yes i want players to be safe and healthy but we are ruining what football is. It is a hard contact sport.
MPO that was a good hit by Bowden. The sefensive player lowered his helmet. How is defense supposed to be played?

Yes, think they are over reacting in a lot of cases now------but the officials have their instructions. Agree that hit shouldn't have been an ejection. Some contact is unavoidable, and some is minor, that is what helmets are for.

Political correctness has made its way into this sport and it will ultimately diminish its popularity and participation. The PC police are out in force.
I spend every day of my life being unapologetic in fighting PC.

I'm also unapologetic about the fact that I refuse to let my sons scramble their brains.

Big, strong, deadlifting squatting boys?

Hell yes.

Losing mental function early?

Hell no.

It's not PC to keep your kid from munching on lead, either.

Reactions: Bank Cat
I'm not saying there aren't significant injuries from playing football but the numbers of those just don't support the knee jerk decisions and reactions that have taken place over the last decade.

Think of how many people have played high school, college, and professional football over the last 60-70 years. With the way football has been changed you would think graveyards would be littered with tombstones saying "Killed on the football battlefield". It's a CROC, and a complete over reaction to the few significant and highly publicized injuries sustained from football. The way football is changing is a direct result of the PC culture that dominates society today.

The few cases are not an outlier, they're just the people who exist firmly enough in the public eye for you to know and care about them. That doesn't mean those are the whole of people who had deleterious outcomes from TBI in football.

My uncle played at UK. Never made it to the NFL as a player. You wouldn't know his name if I said it or his story if I told it, but he spent his whole life in football. He passed away a year and a half ago. The last few years were incredibly rough. He had a brain disease that less than 1 10th of 1 percent of the population has. That .1% number comes from them thur idgits at the Mayo Clinic, highfalutin medical experts, think they're so much smarter than ya! I wouldn't subject you to that type of book learning, we can all agree science is a tool of the devil, it only exists to tell us lies like fire will burn you. I don't think so, science! To my math, (~330 mil Americans, 1.4 mil with the disease in question) tells me .4%, so clearly it's a widespread pandemic...

.1-.4% of the US population have LBD. 17% of people who have CTE have LBD.

Football is dangerous. Football was dangerous in the 50s. Football was dangerous in the 50s even at the college level. The fact you don't know the names or faces of the people who are suffering doesn't mean they don't exist. CTE is the world revolving around the sun. That didn't start with Galileo and traumatic brain injuries didn't start when the science advanced to the point of observing them, it was going on during your golden age anecdotal period of 1950, 60, 70.

Now, to move away from your bullshit and back to the OP: the Bowden hit shouldn't have been flagged. He didn't lead, didn't launch, hit with forearm, and only grazed helmets because Bowden was low to avoid the head contact and the EKU player ducked into him. There needs to be room for officials to look at intent, impact, and who initiated head contact instead of just making all contact to the head a 1 game penalty. Player safety needs to continue to advance, targeting penalty needs to be overhauled in a big way.

Please watch the language/moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
As CTE research advances, football as we know it will not exist. Enjoy the next 12-15 years, this is it.
I told my son last year that he should enjoy all the football he can, because he will live to see that day that "flag" football will be the norm.

Sorry to hear about your uncle. If you go back and read my posts I clearly state that football is a violent, dangerous sport and people who play it are taking a risk but still the percentages of those who have suffered permanent and irreversible injuries is very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
What CTE research is learning is that any hit to the head, whether it's a bump on a doorway or a car wreck it a tackle causes SOME sort of brain damage. Of course we can't avoid some, but eventually we'll realize that any hit is a hit too many, and football will go away.

Football is dieing a slow death because of "player safety". Yes i want players to be safe and healthy but we are ruining what football is. It is a hard contact sport.
MPO that was a good hit by Bowden. The sefensive player lowered his helmet. How is defense supposed to be played?
Said the same thing. After every play you have to wait to see if their is a flag. Then you have to see if their is going to be a review. Then the timeouts.

People claim that baseball is too boring because of the lack of actual action. Well, football basically has 8:00 minutes of live plays. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy college football, but they're trying to ruin it.

I will be 49 in November. When I was in second grade, I fractured my skull by doing a header off a fence onto our driveway. Man, it jacked me up. What's crazy is that the next year my doctor signed a note giving me permission to play football.
Times have definitely changed - if my son had a serious head trauma at age 7, I sure wouldn't have let him ever play the game even if he hated me for it.
I love football. I want the players who play for my entertainment to have full lives. I don't know the answer.

Has nothing to do with political correctness. Serious brain injuries and unnatural death from football should not be a political issue. It's a fact. The science just finally understands it better and you're starting to see old, but not real old football players dying from it. Not to mention they are finding evidence of trauma in younger players as well.

Sorry, you can't blame everything on PC.
Mouth breathers love their new catch phrases. No PC bro.#notfakenews #themedia #theleft.

Football isn't being ruined but many players lives have been by CTE. It's a very frightening, debilitating condition that comes about from concussions. You need to research CTE a little and discover how serious a problem it is.

Lynn did not purposly go to the head on that play but the rule is designed to prevent serious injury, and the officials enforced the rule as it's written. I strongly support this and other player safety rules and all fans should as well.

Reactions: Wvvrn
You're right Mr UK Superfan.. Football is completely safe. But to answer your question, all of them.
Every NFL football player has committed suicide Einstein? Wow, you are dumber than you appeared to be and I didn't think that was possible. And I didn't say football was safe but no one is forcing them to play in the NFL. Being a coal miner, police officer or being in the military isn't safe. So what's your point?

Every NFL football player has committed suicide Einstein? Wow, you are dumber than you appeared to be and I didn't think that was possible. And I didn't say football was safe but no one is forcing them to play in the NFL. Being a coal miner, police officer or being in the military isn't safe. So what's your point?
You didn't understand your own question. You asked, "out of the ones who have killed themselves, how many did it due to a brain injury.

Out of the thousands of men who have played in the NFL, how many have killed themselves due to brain injuries?

You didn't understand your own question. You asked, "out of the ones who have killed themselves, how many did it due to a brain injury.

Out of the thousands of men who have played in the NFL, how many have killed themselves due to brain injuries?
Not every one who has a brain injury has committed suicide. You are flat wrong.

Driving cars isn't safe but they're forcing people to wear seatbelts.

Walking across the street isn't safe but you have to use the crosswalk.

Jumping out of a plane isn't safe but you can't do it unsupervised.

This notion that rules put in place to minimize the danger in inherently dangerous activities is somehow new or ruining the world is absurd.

Not coincidentally, many of the ones lambasting "PC" are the same people who think the science behind CTE (or anything in life that tells them information they don't want to hear) is made up or incorrect.

Turns out head trauma is bad for you. Good look arguing against those findings.

Yes, people can choose to do things that are dangerous or unhealthy, but there are still going to be regulations placed on those things. You can't buy cigarettes until you're 18. You can't drive a car until you're 16. You can't join the military until you're 18. But keep strapping helmets on 7 year olds for the facebook pictures and because you were third string cornerback in high school.

It's funny how some people try to make an argument for a position. The reliance on the term "PC" is so cliche it draws a laugh more often than not from me. It's so PC to claim it's all because people are so PC. LOL I do think the NFL paying such a high price to try and make an issue go away is indicative of how much risk is out there. That risk isn't predicated on fantasy or the NFL would have offered fantasies rather than real money because as we all know the NFL is nothing if not a money game.

Not every one who has a brain injury has committed suicide. You are flat wrong.
There is something wrong with your brain if you commit suicide. May be a chemical imbalance, but when you are talking football players, 99% of the brains that have been tested show signs of CTE. So yes, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that their suicides are related to brain injury.

This a very important discussion to be having. I just ask that people do research on this (from multiple sources to minimize bias). As medicine advances it is important to adjust to new knowledge. Brain injury is something that directly or indirectly impacts all of our lives whether we realize it or not. Athletes are just talked about more because they have a higher profile.

I really don't know how best to deal with it in football but I do know that there needs to be more research done on this. Sports are an excellent testing ground for innovative techniques in medicine. There's been so many huge breakthroughs from sports medicine and I'm hoping treatments for brain injury can be advanced through working with football players. It will help all of us.

I love football, it's been a huge part of my life. I want it to survive. I'm hoping at some point we can find the right balance between player safety and entertainment value.

NFL is dying because like I've said before, it's boring as hell. No variation in offense. No fun. Basically NFL teams call the same 5-6 plays and any kind of trickery or gimmicky is frowned down on as being bush league. The political non-sense doesn't help.

College football is still doing well and I don't see it going anywhere unless the greed kills it. Going to super conferences won't be a good thing I don't think.

NBA is probably doing the best it's done in a long time.

NCAA basketball has plummeted. Other than March Madness, no one really watches or goes. Regular season ratings are in the toilet. Don't really understand that one.

I don't think baseball will go anywhere, but it will never be as popular as it once was.

Soccer will be huge in the US within the next 20 years or so...just a hunch.

I think a lot of the the decline is just too many cheaper options these days. Most Americans don't have the money to waste on games and cord cutting has become the norm.

Reactions: Wvvrn
Yes, football is a dangerous sport. I played the game for 12 years. As players we knew the risks, even back in the 60's and 70's, but we loved the game, so we played. For those who would like to see football banned, because as one posted noted, any hit to the head causes some brain damage We better ban other things as well. Soccer, heading the ball, I'm pretty sure can cause some brain damage. Ban bikes, and skateboards. Even in basketball, a player can fall, and hit his, or her head. Yes, the risks are higher in football, and the longer you play, the risks go up, but I feel the person who wants to play, should be able to play. Of course the parents of the younger players should make that decision.

But we still allow people to smoke, which we know is detrimental to their health. We allow people to consume excessive amounts of alcohol. These guys should be allowed to make evaluate the rewards and risks, then make their own decisions. We even make marijuana legal in some places though we know it is one of the gateway drugs.

You are right. Being pc can sometimes still be correct, but it is a very rare occasion.

fair point, players need to realize the risks they take when they choose to play, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules to mitigate the risks.

Reactions: Wvvrn and Levibooty
636182018087261314-1629676831_junior-seau-120502-02-CP.jpg

Hysteria.

how many nfl players would be dead by 30 due to drugs or gang violence?

played football until 18, had 3 concussions.. 2 of them due to basketball and 1 of them football

edit: not saying this inst a problem, but trotting out statistic of 99% who were tested had it is just a stupid statement. they were tested due to a suspicion of having something wrong.
anyone who has taken a statistics class could tell you the flaw in that stat.

It won't be the most popular sport because soccer moms won't let their snowflake sons play Football.

Don't know any of those soccer moms, but I do know a Vietnam War veteran papaw who has offered to buy his 6'1 210 lb 9th grade TE playing grandson a NEW car when he turns 16 if he will give up football.

It's not PC to keep your kid from munching on lead, either.

Hell naw, banning lead paint and leaded gasoline was just agenda driven political correctness! Crumple zones and air bags in cars is just PC bs from them panty-waist libruls! My pappy dumped his used motor oil in the creek and it didn't kill anybody, them dern PC libruls just screw up everything!

Hell naw, banning lead paint and leaded gasoline was just agenda driven political correctness! Crumple zones and air bags in cars is just PC bs from them panty-waist libruls! My pappy dumped his used motor oil in the creek and it didn't kill anybody, them dern PC libruls just screw up everything!
The things you mention don't fit into what many of us consider PC crap. There is science and quantifiable evidence of the positive impact of those moves.
PC crap is more for issues for which there is zero quantifiable evidence of harm or damage other than to the feelings or egos of someone that puts their victim panties on everyday. Like...it's PC to use only gender neutral pronouns....to name a few. Laughable.

not saying this inst a problem, but trotting out statistic of 99% who were tested had it is just a stupid statement. they were tested due to a suspicion of having something wrong.
anyone who has taken a statistics class could tell you the flaw in that stat.

Even if every other former NFL player who died during the study period but didn't have their brain donated did not have CTE, you'd still have a 9% rate of CTE among former players.

The things you mention don't fit into what many of us consider PC crap. There is science and quantifiable evidence of the positive impact of those moves.
PC crap is more for issues for which there is zero quantifiable evidence of harm or damage other than to the feelings or egos of someone that puts their victim panties on everyday. Like...it's PC to use only gender neutral pronouns....to name a few. Laughable.

PC means whatever the speaker wants it to mean, if "trying to prevent traumatic brain injuries" is PC.

But there are a ton of politically correct football fans. Look at how many people pissed their panties over a player not standing up for the national anthem. So many hurt fee fees!

Again, I'm no fan of language policing (from the left or the right), but my point is that this neuro damage concern is far, far, far from being a PC freakout.

Reactions: Levibooty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT