ADVERTISEMENT

A name that doesn't get enough serious consideration...Mark Pope.

Because anyone who believes in magic rocks and prophets has deep rooted mental issues and is a dummy on some kind of level.

🙋I accept my ban for saying the obvious out loud.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: mcwildcats04
Mark being a Mormon is a big hurdle for any school looking to hire him.
This is a really stupid comment. His church should have nothing to do with it.

You know, Andy Reid is a Mormon. You know, the guy who just won his third Super Bowl a couple days ago, and has taken teams to five different Super Bowls (with two different franchises) one of the most successful NFL coaches of all time…. Yeah, the Chiefs really screwed up by hiring that guy.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
This is a really stupid comment. His church should have nothing to do with it.

You know, Andy Reid is a Mormon. You know, the guy who just won his third Super Bowl a couple days ago, and has taken teams to five different Super Bowls (with two different franchises) one of the most successful NFL coaches of all time…. Yeah, the Chiefs really screwed up by hiring that guy.
Tell me you have the reading comprehension level of a toddler without telling me you have the reading comprehension level of a toddler.

Billy Donavan is my first call and not even close. If he refuses then go forward.

Holtman would be an awful hire and is already at a big pockets program and can’t win at a consistently high level. Plays a boring style. But unfortunately he’s the type of guy Mitch would like.

Pope has built a successful program at a one of the hardest places to do it. Plays an entertaining style that recruits would want to play in (and would get fans/donors excited). Is a Kentucky guy so it would also help get the lifelong basketball donors that Cal has alienated back on board and reemphasize the Kentucky first approach embracing our history and tradition. He’d likely take a huge step forward at a powerhouse program without recruiting restrictions and deep pockets.

They aren’t two peas in a pod

Shouldn’t be in the first 3 realistic calls but he’s in the top 5 of realistic candidates
I remember the thread that was started last year about hiring Holtmann. I was so against him then and it's only gotten way worse for him since. Terrible year this year for OSU.

I didn’t misread anything. It was just a dumb comment by you.
I didn’t think it was dumb, I just think it was worded a little different than the intent. His wife is a BYU grad and they have been living in Utah for 15 years now. Living in Utah and working at BYU are potentially very important to them based on them being Mormon. That might be more important to them as a family than moving on to a big time coaching gig.

NO, STOP. . I'm starting to think Trolls are going to come to our forum and suggest the worst coaching hires possible to set up failure. Pope's needs to go somewhere and have a good win percentage at the very least.

Just stop with the Mark Pope Stuff.... or Holtman.
Holtman won’t last at Ohio State, dude has lost 9 of 10 and against Indiana twice.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
This is not Kenny Payne. Read that back. Assuming this position comes open, it would be a travesty to not seriously consider him. Pope comes from the Pitino tree, was a Rhodes Scholar, has succeeded every place he has been as a head coach and he knows what it takes to succeed at Kentucky. Hiring Pope signals a continuity in the UK program, keeps our basketball alumni involved, and shows total confidence that UK guys will succeed. I am not saying he should be the shoe-in candidate, but sans a home run hire, he should be on every shorlist.

Thank You.
You are assuming he wants to leave the Y. He's a devout member of the LDS church with several children(ONE wife) and no better place to be for he and his family because if their faith. Recently signed a new contract that is structured to help the athletic dept and has a lot of deferred money. Think CCC would do anything like that?

Hold on

Isn't the OP a guy whining to people not to give up in the middle of the season?

and he is starting a thread about considering Mark Pope?

JFC

This is not Kenny Payne. Read that back. Assuming this position comes open, it would be a travesty to not seriously consider him. Pope comes from the Pitino tree, was a Rhodes Scholar, has succeeded every place he has been as a head coach and he knows what it takes to succeed at Kentucky. Hiring Pope signals a continuity in the UK program, keeps our basketball alumni involved, and shows total confidence that UK guys will succeed. I am not saying he should be the shoe-in candidate, but sans a home run hire, he should be on every shorlist.

Thank You.
Yes!!!!!

Jon Scheyer had as much head coaching experience as Kenny Payne.
Hubert Davis had less coaching experience than Mark Pope.

We aren't talking apples to apples, but the fact of the matter is that if you applied the same criteria to both of those guys being mentioned in this thread, neither would be hired.

Duke is weird and I'm no UNC fan, but hat tip for having faith in their own.
I very clearly said they aren't apples to apples. I certainly agree that we can't compare the paths of Scheyer/Davis and Pope.

It's something that happens in college sports. The HC grooms a replacement. If your Hall of Fame coach thinks you're ready to run the program, then that counts for a lot. Pope does not have that. Scheyer and Davis did. So they got to bypass running other programs. That's why I'm not applying that criteria to them. If Cal was leaving on good terms and ending with great results--people would be fine with him annointing a successor. He's had a bad 4 years. No chance they let Cal pick the next one.

Pope doesn't have that luck/honor. So he does have to show people he can run a program and take them to high level success. He hasn't.

Reactions: Zissou87
I would love to have a sane Brad Stevens. But since he's got a higher than average paying NBA GM job now he'd have to be insane to give that up for the UK job. If he still wanted to coach then why did he step down as Celtics coach?
Money talks. We could more than double his salary

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
When you make $40K and someone offers you $80K, money talks. It's life changing money. When you make millions and have been making millions for 12+ years and love what you do, money doesn't talk as much. IU offered him $10 million and he didn't flinch.
Make him say no. He would make much more than that with the other deals he’d have here. I’m fine with giving him 3/4 of stoops salary as well

Reactions: bigbluedon
Make him say no. He would make much more than that with the other deals he’d have here. I’m fine with giving him 3/4 of stoops salary as well
If he even bothered to answer the phone, he'd say no. If he wanted to coach college basketball, he'd already be at IU. He makes millions doing a job he loves and with a fraction of the headaches of coaching in college. It's not hard to understand.

There was a middle school basketball coach, Mike West from Bowling Green who took a team that was winless and the following year they went undefeated.... I think he should be considered.
There is a WV high school coach that posts here. I found his team on google, they had a .500 record.

What qualifications does he have?

He hasn't been very impressive so far and has no ncaa tourney success. Way better options out there.
He's done pretty well at coaching his programs. He went as far as Cow has taken us without the benefit of being at UK. Look at his stats.
Really I like him because he learned higher level basketball from Pitino.
It's not only that he won a Natty while he was here or that he was a key component on his team here.
He's smart and knows the game.

Hey, it's just my opinion. But I like him and think he'd be good here.

Actually they have been decent for quite some time.

It’s not like Cal taking over a UMass program that had never done anything, even with Dr J, and taking them to a FF. Then the program has done nothing since he left.

They even gave Travis Ford a shot.

But the CHC wants that guy gone?

Cal is not leaving. Yet.

He will one day. And the coach we get won’t be as good.

But at least the CHC can switch to hating someone else.
No way you’re a real fan. You make it to obvious

Jon Scheyer had as much head coaching experience as Kenny Payne.
Hubert Davis had less coaching experience than Mark Pope.

We aren't talking apples to apples, but the fact of the matter is that if you applied the same criteria to both of those guys being mentioned in this thread, neither would be hired.

Duke is weird and I'm no UNC fan, but hat tip for having faith in their own.
So you are comparing taking over at Louisville in that current dumpster fire, as to taking over UNC and Duke where BOTH Sheyer and Davis was on the current staff at THE school they took over at, and even recruited the current and future players?? Payne was thrown into a garbage pile, had no hand in coaching / recruiting the current / future players. he had to take over another coaches (multiple) mess and try to clean it up. Davis and Sheyer had a HUGE advantage as they had already had the opportunity to coach the players, know the system in place. NOBODY could have turned the chicken shit that is / was Louisville. into chicken salad.

Not to mention even after defending Payne, he hasn't exactly helped his situation while there. He needs time to rebuild that program, but not having any accountability or repercussions for mistakes hasn't exactly sold himself as to getting that time. His press conferences, letting players sit in the stands eating chicken wings during games, to me just is continuing the culture that was there before he got there.

Two totally different situations (Payne vs Davis / Sheyer) to even try to compare coaches success.

So you are comparing taking over at Louisville in that current dumpster fire, as to taking over UNC and Duke where BOTH Sheyer and Davis was on the current staff at THE school they took over at, and even recruited the current and future players?? Payne was thrown into a garbage pile, had no hand in coaching / recruiting the current / future players. he had to take over another coaches (multiple) mess and try to clean it up. Davis and Sheyer had a HUGE advantage as they had already had the opportunity to coach the players, know the system in place. NOBODY could have turned the chicken shit that is / was Louisville. into chicken salad.

Not to mention even after defending Payne, he hasn't exactly helped his situation while there. He needs time to rebuild that program, but not having any accountability or repercussions for mistakes hasn't exactly sold himself as to getting that time. His press conferences, letting players sit in the stands eating chicken wings during games, to me just is continuing the culture that was there before he got there.

Two totally different situations (Payne vs Davis / Sheyer) to even try to compare coaches success.

Yeah, I don't know what about all the arguments you are attributing to me, but I'd argue Mark Pope is a better candidate now than Scheyer was for Duke or Davis was to UNC. Does that make him THE candidate for Kentucky? Not necessarily.

My only argument is that Pope's resume warrants serious consideration. Feel free to disagree.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
I simply was rebutting the statement that Payne, Sheyer, and Davis didn't have head coaching experience. But Davis and Sheyer actually took over a program that they was already a part of, (coaching, system ran, recruiting the current and future roster. Pope wouldn't have that luxury, he would have to start from scratch, instill a new system, not know any of the current or future players. You really think the recruits who signed on to play at UK with Cal, would stick with a guy they do not know, never talked to ? Not to mention the current players, would they stay ? face the facts, kids come to UK to play for a PROVEN coach who has a track record a mile long being successful with PLAYERS. At the end of the day, the players are the ones who decide. I just do not think Pope has had the resume of getting top talent. Are you saying you are OK with getting no top kids and hoping the BYU success will carry over at a school like UK ? Sheyer and Davis was a Blue Devil / TarHeel, and was already in good place as far as the kids trusting, believing in them. Both current and future players. Payne did not have that fortune, he was thrown into a fire without water and a water hose and expected to put the fire out. Different circumstance. Davis and Sheyer was already involved and successful with a top program, Pope has not. There is a HUGE difference in BYU vs UNC, DUKE, UK. Not knocking Pope, but until he proves himself at a bigger (not a Blue Blood program), that he can win or at least be part of and help structure a team at a major school, he is just not ready to get a chance to drive the blue blood ship.

He's done pretty well at coaching his programs. He went as far as Cow has taken us without the benefit of being at UK. Look at his stats.
Really I like him because he learned higher level basketball from Pitino.
It's not only that he won a Natty while he was here or that he was a key component on his team here.
He's smart and knows the game.

Hey, it's just my opinion. But I like him and think he'd be good here.
Define "pretty well at coaching his programs."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT