ADVERTISEMENT

A name that doesn't get enough serious consideration...Mark Pope.

KAB Cats

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2023
This is not Kenny Payne. Read that back. Assuming this position comes open, it would be a travesty to not seriously consider him. Pope comes from the Pitino tree, was a Rhodes Scholar, has succeeded every place he has been as a head coach and he knows what it takes to succeed at Kentucky. Hiring Pope signals a continuity in the UK program, keeps our basketball alumni involved, and shows total confidence that UK guys will succeed. I am not saying he should be the shoe-in candidate, but sans a home run hire, he should be on every shorlist.

Thank You.

Prepare Get Ready GIF by STARZ

NO, STOP. . I'm starting to think Trolls are going to come to our forum and suggest the worst coaching hires possible to set up failure. Pope's needs to go somewhere and have a good win percentage at the very least.

Just stop with the Mark Pope Stuff.... or Holtman.

I don’t mind it at all. People that say we MUST hire someone that has had tourney success are silly.

Can’t do any worse than what we’ve seen lately.
I’m curious on your first point. Taking out Cal and the last 4 years, why would you not feel prior NCAAT success is important in the next hire? I don’t think you necessarily need someone who took a mid major to a FF, but someone with some March experience seems important.

I’m curious on your first point. Taking out Cal and the last 4 years, why would you not feel prior NCAAT success is important in the next hire? I don’t think you necessarily need someone who took a mid major to a FF, but someone with some March experience seems important.
By success I meant what you said. Doesn’t necessarily need to have made deep deep runs in the tourney.

Reactions: WeWant9
I don't think I've seen anyone mention Grant McCasland yet. I have no idea if he'd be interested in leaving the state of Texas - most of his career has been spent there - but he's a pretty good "up and coming name" that's having success in his first year at Texas Tech, after having solid success at North Texas. He comes from the Scott Drew coaching family, and played for him at Baylor too.

I think you first call the ones who will probably tell you no, but you make them say no. Hurley, Stevens. Then I'd go to Oates and Pearl in that order. I know the latter won't happen. Then to Beard. Then you go to Drew. Has Gregg Marshall repented of his sins? Is he employable? I think he would have been a very good pick if not for the bad end at Wichita State. If none of the above happen, then may need to take a flyer on someone like Lamont Parris.

I don’t mind it at all. People that say we MUST hire someone that has had tourney success are silly.

Can’t do any worse than what we’ve seen lately.
I think tourney success has value. That doesn't mean they need to have been to a Final Four or have won a title, but I feel the success you have in relation to the history of the program is a sign that you're a good coach. I've said in other threads that reaching for a hire because they have a tie to the university has gotten programs in trouble and UK cannot do that. If they are similar to other candidates, then yes, I think that can push them as the favorite, but that's the only situation imo. We see it right now with Kenny and Woodson at UL and IU. We saw it at with Matt Doherty at UNC. I'm all about getting a person with UK ties, but I would also want that person to be a candidate if they didn't have UK ties. I don't believe Pope would.

NO, STOP. . I'm starting to think Trolls are going to come to our forum and suggest the worst coaching hires possible to set up failure. Pope's needs to go somewhere and have a good win percentage at the very least.

Just stop with the Mark Pope Stuff.... or Holtman.
Holtman would be an awful hire and is already at a big pockets program and can’t win at a consistently high level. Plays a boring style. But unfortunately he’s the type of guy Mitch would like.

Pope has built a successful program at a one of the hardest places to do it. Plays an entertaining style that recruits would want to play in (and would get fans/donors excited). Is a Kentucky guy so it would also help get the lifelong basketball donors that Cal has alienated back on board and reemphasize the Kentucky first approach embracing our history and tradition. He’d likely take a huge step forward at a powerhouse program without recruiting restrictions and deep pockets.

They aren’t two peas in a pod

Shouldn’t be in the first 3 realistic calls but he’s in the top 5 of realistic candidates

That's because he doesn't merit serious consideration yet. If he was qualified - i.e. past coaching achievements justified it - I'd be thrilled with him as the coach.

Pope has built a successful program at a one of the hardest places to do it.
I often read/hear this when people talk about Pope. I agree that it's not an easy place to win, but what Pope has done at BYU is no different than the 5 coaches before him at BYU dating back to the early 80's. Take the last 4 coaches prior to Pope at BYU dating back to the early 80's - LaDell Anderson, Roger Reid, Dave Rose and Steve Cleveland. In their first 4 years (Pope has 4 seasons under his belt), they all did this:

Anderson
NCAA Second Round
Missed Tournament
NIT Quarterfinal
NCAA First Round

Reid
NCAA First Round
NCAA Second Round
NCAA First Round
NCAA Second Round

Cleveland
Missed Tournament
Missed Tournament
NIT quarterfinals
NCAA First Round

Rose
NIT First Round
NCAA First Round
NCAA First Round
NCAA First Round

Pope
COVID year
NCAA First Round
NIT Quarterfinals
Missed Tournament

What he has done in his first 4 years at BYU is really no different than what all the guys in front of him did and we would have never considered any of those other guys.

That's because he doesn't merit serious consideration yet. If he was qualified - i.e. past coaching achievements justified it - I'd be thrilled with him as the coach.

"We need a coach whose hungry for success"

Also

"We can only hire coaches who have done it before"

I think tourney success has value. That doesn't mean they need to have been to a Final Four or have won a title, but I feel the success you have in relation to the history of the program is a sign that you're a good coach. I've said in other threads that reaching for a hire because they have a tie to the university has gotten programs in trouble and UK cannot do that. If they are similar to other candidates, then yes, I think that can push them as the favorite, but that's the only situation imo. We see it right now with Kenny and Woodson at UL and IU. We saw it at with Matt Doherty at UNC. I'm all about getting a person with UK ties, but I would also want that person to be a candidate if they didn't have UK ties. I don't believe Pope would.
BCG had made the elite 8 the year before we hired him 😳
I think the key is not to sign anyone to a long term deal with a ridiculous buyout.
We’re rolling the dice with any hire.

Why does any of that matter with respect to hiring a coach?

Let me take the counter view. Are you saying that there is zero benefit to hiring a coach with familiarity with the UK program, it's fanbase and who has personal experience winning a national championship at Kentucky?

To what degree there is value I'd say is debatable, but I'd also assert it's a non-zero value.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
Mark being a Mormon is a big hurdle for any school looking to hire him. And no offense to Mark, but Kentucky needs to do better.

**EDIT**
Because people are losing their ability to comprehend written words, I'll try to say this differently.
Mark is a member of the LDS church. That's not a bad thing and in NO WAY am I saying that prevents him from being a good coach. It has nothing to do with coaching skill. I am saying that being as he is a member of the LDS faith, and he is now head coach at the premier LDS College, he may not want to leave for another school. I'm really not sure how much more I can dumb it down for you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonCats
Let me take the counter view. Are you saying that there is zero benefit to hiring a coach with familiarity with the UK program, it's fanbase and who has personal experience winning a national championship at Kentucky?

To what degree there is value I'd say is debatable, but I'd also assert it's not a non-zero value.
I'm saying it's such a small consideration that it should only come into play if you have two candidates that are equal and you are looking for tie breakers. It should never be driving factor in hiring a coach. You hire the best coach you can get, irrespective of his connection to the program.

Reactions: Jbforuk
I'm saying it's such a small consideration that it should only come into play if you have two candidates that are equal and you are looking for tie breakers. It should never be driving factor in hiring a coach. You hire the best coach you can get, irrespective of his connection to the program.

I'd agree you hire the best coach, and I think Pope's pedigree, academic record, and success at every mid-major program he's been at is further indicative of his capability. His resume also includes graduation from the best program in college basketball, under arguably our best modern coach.

I'd also argue that Pope has the character UK fans are looking for. "I don't care about character -- just win!" they say.

Except they do. Pope is unlikely to sacrifice longterm success for immediate gratification. This means more focus on a multi-year culture, with high value on character and commitment.

Because the school he’s at now (BYU) is basically the worldwide flagship institution for his religion. Combine that with the fact that I’m pretty certain his wife has roots in that area, he may not be too interested in leaving that position just to chase more money and prestige.
He said being Mormon is a big hurdle for anyone who would hire him, not that there are personal conflicts from Pope taking the job. Two different things. No idea on the realism of his interest.

I think a lot of people don’t know that BYU is in the Big 12 conference this year, which appears to be the strongest conference. If they were to finish strong and make a run in the NCAA tournament, then I certainly think he should be considered.
I did mention Grant Mccasland in a thread yesterday before they played KU. He’s looking even more impressive now

I'd agree you hire the best coach, and I think Pope's pedigree, academic record, and success at every mid-major program he's been at is further indicative of his capability. His resume also includes graduation from the best program in college basketball, under arguably our best modern coach.

I'd also argue that Pope has the character UK fans are looking for. "I don't care about character -- just win!" they say.

Except they do. Pope is unlikely to sacrifice longterm success for immediate gratification. This means more focus on a multi-year culture, with high value on character and commitment.
So you think Pope is one of the top coaches in the college game today and you would still feel he should be a high level candidate for the UK job even if he had no connection to UK?

So you think Pope is one of the top coaches in the college game today and you would still feel he should be a high level candidate for the UK job even if he had no connection to UK?
I think there are few high level candidates ala Pitino or Calipari. I don’t think we get Hurley. Can see argument for Oats or possibly Lloyd. I think that’s about it.

I think there are few high level candidates ala Pitino or Calipari. I don’t think we get Hurley. Can see argument for Oats or possibly Lloyd. I think that’s about it.
As bthaunert asked above, what has he done at BYU that distinguishes him from prior coaches at BYU? If we wouldn't have considered those coaches, why would we consider Pope?

"We need a coach whose hungry for success"

Also

"We can only hire coaches who have done it before"
You're right.

I honestly would take anyone at this point who prioritizes the program and winning college basketball first above all else. And I do mean anyone. Even if they were losing more games than Cal is, I'd prefer someone who had those priorities over Cal.

But...my comment was in trying to be realistic as to who would be offered as well.

But I'd take Pope over Cal today in a heartbeat if I was the decider.

Reactions: Jbforuk
I think a lot of people don’t know that BYU is in the Big 12 conference this year, which appears to be the strongest conference. If they were to finish strong and make a run in the NCAA tournament, then I certainly think he should be considered.
I did mention Grant Mccasland in a thread yesterday before they played KU. He’s looking even more impressive now
McCasland is an interesting candidate. He's won everywhere he's coached. He's a younger guy, late 40s. He's hungry. In all honesty, I'd take almost any coach over Cal, at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT