ADVERTISEMENT

A&M

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
When Stoops was courted by A&M, many people understood his interest, because it is easy to think that winning there should be easier than at UK. The school has a great football loving fan base with a great tradition (weird to me, something I would never enjoy and odd to watch, but they own it), great game day atmosphere, great stadium, football crazy HS recruiting base, big state, and lots of money. It had had coaches who won elsewhere.

So, why has A&M been a failure over the past 20 years when it comes to being in the playoff hunt? One year in the past 20 has the team been arguably good enough for a four team playoff. What is holding A&M back? It has had bad, below average, average, above average and a couple of second tier teams over the past 20 years.

This is not a claim that UK has been as good. It just is a challenge to the upper crust perception that A&M seems to have. Why hasn’t it been better?

This is not a claim that UK has been as good.
But if you wanted to make that claim you would be right. i.e. over the last 6 seasons A&M is 45-27 while Kentucky is 46-29 over the same period. Moreover if you take away last season you will find similar comparison for Texas.

Why hasn’t it been better?
Probably several reasons but IMO money and fancy digs only takes you so far. I think program management, quality of coaching especially position coaching, player development and shrewd, very calculated recruiting are areas where teams like Kentucky have done a better overall job than A&M.

No matter how much money they have, how nice their stadium is, all their traditions, they are just like Louisville and Georgia Tech, they are little brothers.

I think you can probably throw the records out the window for last 6 years, West has been stronger than East for at least 4 of those years and East has had an almost sure win in Vandy and West teams had almost a sure loss against Bama.

I think it’s a good question why they haven’t had the success relative to the resources everyone thinks they can have. As for why stoops or someone would be interested…I mean it’s a higher tier program than UK and I’m not sure we can really debate that. We’ve had 4 losing seasons in conference in the last 5 years and they’ve only had 2 since joining the sec and they’ve played in the tougher division in the stretch. So even in a stretch where we think they suck they’ve still had more success and it still wasn’t good enough to keep their coaches job. Add to that the assumed access to NIL money coaches have every reason to think they can be the one to get it to the highest tier. The division they have played in resources only get you in the game and from there it’s who runs the org well.

Reactions: vhcat70
When Stoops was courted by A&M, many people understood his interest, because it is easy to think that winning there should be easier than at UK. The school has a great football loving fan base with a great tradition (weird to me, something I would never enjoy and odd to watch, but they own it), great game day atmosphere, great stadium, football crazy HS recruiting base, big state, and lots of money. It had had coaches who won elsewhere.

So, why has A&M been a failure over the past 20 years when it comes to being in the playoff hunt? One year in the past 20 has the team been arguably good enough for a four team playoff. What is holding A&M back? It has had bad, below average, average, above average and a couple of second tier teams over the past 20 years.

This is not a claim that UK has been as good. It just is a challenge to the upper crust perception that A&M seems to have. Why hasn’t it been better?
You can't win consistently without quality leadership and I suspect the pressure to perform quickly causes many to cut corners in order to achieve success quicker. I believe that's why the AD coveted Stoops. Thought he would be able to handle the pressure and stick to his guns of building a program the right way.

The sec is brutal.

In 2012 they had a great season but so did bama, lsu, uga, Florida and SC. They also made a run in 2020 with jimbo.

And they still haven’t visited Lexington since joining the league. Ridiculous.

Someone on Rafters posted a link that evidently suggests A&M is B1G bound. Would they run from the SEC because of the Longhorns?

• Haha
No matter how much money they have, how nice their stadium is, all their traditions, they are just like Louisville and Georgia Tech, they are little brothers.

I think you can probably throw the records out the window for last 6 years, West has been stronger than East for at least 4 of those years and East has had an almost sure win in Vandy and West teams had almost a sure loss against Bama.

THIS^

As much as they have going for them, they, like UL, have choked on that little brother mentality for a long time. When they've (a&m) beaten Bama ot come close to it, they've felt their oats a little too long and/or focused on nothing else. Squandered any momentum they might have had going. Just like the years that UL had the playoff gift wrapped for them with an easy schedule, they've played down to their conference competition and lost to teams they shouldn't have.

Then you have the SEC West schedule being strong, (or in ULs case, having to play UK)...

Tough for that mentality to sustain success since it's focused on being better than Texas or besting Bama and not their own issues.

Reactions: UKat1
Someone on Rafters posted a link that evidently suggests A&M is B1G bound. Would they run from the SEC because of the Longhorns?

Yep. They would. Don't know if they will, but they aren't where they expected to be before Texas joined the SEC

I haven't seen that post or seen it anywhere else. But they weren't happy when Texas joined. And I am sure the Big would like to get an anchor in Texas and it would be quite a victory for the Big to steal an SEC member. I know you have seen me post that I don't want a Big presence in any of the SEC states, I believe the SEC offices feel the same way, I don't want to have to compete against all the Big schools who come into Atlanta and get the local exposure for the recruits. Right now its just tOSU, Mich and some PSU. Oregon with their southern coaches are here pretty hard too.

Spot on. They’ve been irrelevant since pretty much the 90s. They had 1 year they may have gotten screwed out of the playoff recently, but besides that they’re totally irrelevant they just have money dripping out of their asses

Jimbo Fisher. He has been overrated since forever and they drank the Kool Aid. Add in playing in the SEC west and it's a recipe for disaster.

You can't win consistently without quality leadership and I suspect the pressure to perform quickly causes many to cut corners in order to achieve success quicker. I believe that's why the AD coveted Stoops. Thought he would be able to handle the pressure and stick to his guns of building a program the right way.
The new ad, trev alberts, came in and just gutted a bunch of the department. Some is in anticipated preparation of NIL shifting to revenue sharing as opposed to nil and some is just the bloat in administration

Reactions: satcheluk
Texas A&M has faced Georgia only once since joining SEC: UGA 19, TA&M 13 at Athens in 2019.
UK has only one game against them a road loss 20-14 back in 2018.

Jimbo Fisher. He has been overrated since forever and they drank the Kool Aid. Add in playing in the SEC west and it's a recipe for disaster.
Again, every coach before him failed as well. He only continued the tradition, albeit at a much higher salary & payout.

They thought they had shit figured out when they hired away Franchione from Bama. Ended up just as mediocre as Jimbo, or Sumlin, or Sloakum.

It is the place....not the coaches

Reactions: Deeeefense
Cheating, Cheating, Cheating.
How can you develop young men into a culture of discipline and hard work when the whole place is built on a cheating mentality. You will attract commitments from guys who want to cheat, want an easy way to win, wanna do what’s wrong when no one is looking. We at Kentucky should know. Our basketball program has attracted all the kids who wanted to be in college for 6 months. That’s who commited and came to Kentucky. Players win games. Culture and hard work win games. A&M has attracted players and coaches who want to do what the administration does. Take any easy shortcut to win. That produces losses.
A&M is the biggest reason NIL went so astray. When it came in, their first thought was how can we bend the rules to help us win? They set up the first collectives. They were first to have boosters openly buy players. As we all know, everyone else followed. If you are discussed with college athletics, look no further than to blame their cheating mentality.

Uhhh, Grumpy, the last six years the East teams have had an almost sure loss to UGA, and the West teams an almost certain win versus Arkansas.

It pretty closely balances out, IMHO.

There's not a bigger bass fishing story in sports than Texas AnM football.

Every time you hear about them they're more legendary than what they are. Christ Almighty, it's like bigfoot.

The stories of Aggie football are amazing.

They're historically a mediocre steppingstone B12 program. Paul Bear Bryant was average at best there. He won more at UK! That's all you need to know.

Flashing all the oil money around, and all that Texas Football recruiting all they could scrap up was interest from Mark Stoops and the Head Coach of Duke with two years of experience.

Can't wait for the ESPN 30 for 30 on the great Texas AnM empire. That nutter from Ancient Alien Theories will be the main expert giving all the evidence.

Uhhh, Grumpy, the last six years the East teams have had an almost sure loss to UGA, and the West teams an almost certain win versus Arkansas.

Arkansas has been bad, but during that time they had a 9 win season and another winning season, 2 teams have won NC, OM had a 10 and 11 win seasons. Outside of Missouri's big year in 23, the only teams with very much success from the east is UK and UGA. I just think with UT and UF being down at the same time put the strength of the conference in the West. TN seems to have made a good hire and things are starting to even up, and we do away with divisions.

They are originally scheduled for 2025 see if that works 😂
Not happening, 25 schedule is the 24 sched flipped home/home. We host Texas in 2025!

How effing ridiculous, UK gets Texas in its year 2 in the SEC. But no Texas a&m in 12 years & counting.

Not happening, 25 schedule is the 24 sched flipped home/home. We host Texas in 2025!

How effing ridiculous, UK gets Texas in its year 2 in the SEC. But no Texas a&m in 12 years & counting.
Shows just how lazy as$ SEC leadership is that they can't even change opponents year to year while adding more teams. Really is screwed up.

I don’t think there is any way to argue this. The records vs the days when the East dominated during Brooks tenure have flipped. FL SC and Mizzou all have taken big steps back relative to a decade ago. We took advantage in a stretch of the Muschamp, Odom hires and the merry go round at FL. We are even with drink, under water with Beamer, and somehow we can hope FL keeps defying the odds and flounders but they’ll get it right at some point

There's not a bigger bass fishing story in sports than Texas AnM football.

Every time you hear about them they're more legendary than what they are. Christ Almighty, it's like bigfoot.

The stories of Aggie football are amazing.

They're historically a mediocre steppingstone B12 program. Paul Bear Bryant was average at best there. He won more at UK! That's all you need to know.

Flashing all the oil money around, and all that Texas Football recruiting all they could scrap up was interest from Mark Stoops and the Head Coach of Duke with two years of experience.

Can't wait for the ESPN 30 for 30 on the great Texas AnM empire. That nutter from Ancient Alien Theories will be the main expert giving all the evidence
.College Station has been traditionally a difficult place to recruit. Back in the day, Don Meredith reportedly told Paul Bear Bryant,

"Coach Bryant, there's not a coach in the world I'd rather play for. I'd go anywhere in the world to play for you, except, of course, at some school where girls aren't allowed."

Of course, all that changed in 1963 when women were allowed to attend. Geography plays a huge roll as well. RC Slocum was most successful HC in Aggie history. He lasted 14 years and won 4 conference titles (3 SWC, 1 Big-12)

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
I think the A&M issue is attitude vs reality. Fanbase/boosters think theyre more than they are, creating unrealistic expectations that will never be reached.

Its not much different than UK basketball fans, only UK has actually had success. However, in the current collegiate climate, the expectations are unrealistic and it becomes too much headache for anyone to willingly deal with.

Reactions: Deeeefense
One more about Aggies and Bear, and I had to throw this in regarding R.C Slocum. First, from 1966 SI about Bear leaving UK for TAMU:

"I went off and left Kentucky with the second best squad I ever had. Blanton Collier came in there the next year and had a winner. We had the new home and all those goodies, and it broke Mary Harmon's heart. Worse than that, when she got off the plane at College Station, Texas she turned white. "

[laughing]

Between 1989 - 2002 seasons, R.C. Slocum went 123-47-2. He never experienced a losing season while at TAMU. Slocum was 32-5 during 1991-1993 seasons, and won 3 consecutive Southwest Conference titles. Aggies took care of him after they let him go. He served as interim AD on two occasions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT