ADVERTISEMENT

A few notes...Slice and Barrett

Crums Bald Spot

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2001
A few notes I got from talking to a connected friend. I'm not an insider but I get info occasionally.

* Was told "anything is possible" but UK does not mind anyone looking at their recruiting. They have nothing to hide. What was really interesting is that he spoke about how tight a ship Cal runs with his staff. He said - "remember that coach called "Slice" who suddenly left after one season? He didn't just up and leave to St. John's on his own accord regardless of his relationship with Mullens." Apparently he was asked to leave due to some of the recruiting tactics he employed. Calipari didn't approve and he was gone. He knows what his guys are doing and he doesn't take chances.

* RJ Barrett - said the visit went well but Barrett actually told coach he wanted to play PG in college. That took the staff by surprise and Cal flat out told him he wasn't a PG and that his future at this level and the next is at the wing. Barrett was a little taken aback that coach was straight with him and there were some weird vibes. However, UK is still in it and feel like they smoothed that out. Definitely have not conceded him to Duke.

A few notes I got from talking to a connected friend. I'm not an insider but I get info occasionally.

* Was told "anything is possible" but UK does not mind anyone looking at their recruiting. They have nothing to hide. What was really interesting is that he spoke about how tight a ship Cal runs with his staff. He said - "remember that coach called "Slice" who suddenly left after one season? He didn't just up and leave to St. John's on his own accord regardless of his relationship with Mullens." Apparently he was asked to leave due to some of the recruiting tactics he employed. Calipari didn't approve and he was gone. He knows what his guys are doing and he doesn't take chances.

* RJ Barrett - said the visit went well but Barrett actually told coach he wanted to play PG in college. That took the staff by surprise and Cal flat out told him he wasn't a PG and that his future at this level and the next is at the wing. Barrett was a little taken aback that coach was straight with him and there were some weird vibes. However, UK is still in it and feel like they smoothed that out. Definitely have not conceded him to Duke.
What was he talking about when he said "anything is possible"

Also, Immanuel Quickley is better off the ball than Tre Jones. If Barrett wants to participate in the team's floor leadership and offense creation, he'd fit better in our backcourt than Duke's.

I would love to get Barrett and if we don't, might sound crazy but I like Q. Grimes game better.

Last edited:
Reactions: rodgersl
Because the fashionable thing for young players these days is to play "down" a position or two. I blame Giannis and KD.

That makes since if you're a big man trying to play the wing. Makes no sense if you're a wing trying to play point. Quality point guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA. I'd much, MUCH rather have a quality 2/3 than a point.

Because the fashionable thing for young players these days is to play "down" a position or two. I blame Giannis and KD.
Fashionable is a good way to put it. Very trendy right now. It’s why guys like Deandre Ayton and Bol Bol want to stand out on the elbow waiting to shoot 3’s. It’s why Jonathan Isaac wanted to go somewhere he could play guard even though he’s 6’10”. It’s cool now for big guys to be able to say “hey, look at me! I’m tall but I have GUARD skills!”

It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine right now. And yeah, those 2 are probably a big reason why.

Slice didn't last long with his buddy at St. John's either.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Here's how it works, numbnut. People hear things and at times post them. It's your privilege to believe or not believe but the intent is not for you get butthurt.
Dude, saying Barrett wants to play PG, that's just moronic. There's literally zero chance he has ever thought, much less said, that he wanted to play PG.

What the f*%k is a Blue Devil wildcat?
UK isn't the only Wildcat, genius. I did Northwestern undergrad, Duke MBA.

You need a safe space for free speech snowflake?
Oh, I won't begrudge anyone the chance to prove they're full of it. Kyrie Irving has every right to prove that about himself by arguing the world is flat. But anyone participating in the fiction is just as much an idiot as he is.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I believe that your friend told you this, but he's either lying to you or not as connected as he thinks he is.

Just think of the likelihood that an, at best, thirdhand translation of a private conversation is accurate in the first place.

Then analyze it and realize it makes no logical sense.

Maybe Barrett told Cal he wants the ball in his hands or he likes initiating the offense or something. That doesn't equate him making some sort of request for a promise he'll play point guard.

I'm not saying I believe this conversation ever took place but I can see an elite player such as Barrett asking a question like this as sort of a litmus test to see which coaches will be straight up honest with him and which ones will say whatever they think he wants to hear.

I believe that your friend told you this, but he's either lying to you or not as connected as he thinks he is.

Just think of the likelihood that an, at best, thirdhand translation of a private conversation is accurate in the first place.

Then analyze it and realize it makes no logical sense.

Maybe Barrett told Cal he wants the ball in his hands or he likes initiating the offense or something. That doesn't equate him making some sort of request for a promise he'll play point guard.
No way to know how this really went, but I will say that every recruit to a man says that Cal is honest and straight up with them. So, I would say that if it went down as was portrayed, I would not be shocked if Cal told him that.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
I can see RJ wanting to "run" the offense like a point guard. He is a ball dominant player. Watch him beat the US. Or maybe stated he wants to be on point. Why is it hard to believe?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT