ADVERTISEMENT

A crazy thing to ponder

Sorry, nothing personal, but even the best female basketball player wouldn't be able to make a men's D1 team.

And if the day comes that we have to handcuff this sport so a woman can have a feel good story about playing with Men.. then that'd the day I'll probably stop watching. Not out of rage or misogyny... but because the product will be so absolutely broken that it's no longer worth taking seriously.
Didn't you see the US Women's Soccer team beat the Brazilian Men's Team in the World Cup Finals? Megan Rapinoe defeated the patriarchy that day and proved women are better than men in sports...or at least that's what the NY Times and Jemelle Hill said.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Sorry, nothing personal, but even the best female basketball player wouldn't be able to make a men's D1 team.

And if the day comes that we have to handcuff this sport so a woman can have a feel good story about playing with Men.. then that'd the day I'll probably stop watching. Not out of rage or misogyny... but because the product will be so absolutely broken that it's no longer worth taking seriously.

Pretty much this ^^ and I’m sure majority of D1 women’s basketball players could take me to the woodshed but even still... the best women’s college basketball team would get slaughtered by even the worst men’s college basketball team.
The best WNBA team may not even score 10 points on the worst NBA team.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I’m just waiting for a 6’8 230 pound elite 5 star stud to “iDeNtiFY” as a female and just go ham on women’s college basketball or the WNBA.
Probably going to happen sooner than many of us might think. .

I am the opposite of woke. I have seen women become kickers in lower level football competition. Let's face it, there are aspects of basketball where girls CAN compete with guys. Namely, shooting.

I prefer men and women have their own leagues, but that's not the society we live in now, and it's definitely not the society we'll be living in down the road.
Biology isn't "woke," it doesn't give a damn about politics, and unless there's some radical hormonal manipulation involved (for what purpose, I can't fathom), biology will always call the tune on this one.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I am the opposite of woke. I have seen women become kickers in lower level football competition. Let's face it, there are aspects of basketball where girls CAN compete with guys. Namely, shooting.

I prefer men and women have their own leagues, but that's not the society we live in now, and it's definitely not the society we'll be living in down the road.
And this is exactly the problem with today’s society. Progress, for the sake of “progress”, isn’t always progress. People don’t have the common sense to leave well enough alone anymore.

Rick Byrd would've made your kid a star!

But I'll go to Hoptown High for example. Coach Haworth, who is the coach of the #1 Louisville Male team now, had a run of 5 Region 2 titles in 6 years. He had 2 players who were athletically amazing.

One was a 6'5 player, JaQualis Matlock. All time leading scorer and rebounder at Hoptown. 4 straight years of playing at Rupp. An undersized 5 and not skilled enough to be a smallball 4, but one of the best players I've ever seen. 3 years of juco and he finally got to play at Eastern Illinois, a bottom D1 program but still D1.

They had a guard with a 40 inch vertical in Tre Edwards. He wasn't even a star to be rated. Got a spot at Murray and then moved on to some jucos...never could find a spot.

Those are the guys you find at the end of a D1 bench...guys who float around possible D2 or NAIA if the right spot doesn't come open. Guys with 40 inch verticals...that's the difference.

Yep I went to school with Bryant Nothern. One of the best I’d ever seen at Jeff High and he found a spot at UofL but wasn’t like he started or had a NBA chance.

Biology isn't "woke," it doesn't give a damn about politics, and unless there's some radical hormonal manipulation involved (for what purpose, I can't fathom), biology will always call the tune on this one.

You 20 years ago: Women will never be allowed to serve in the military.

Okay, guys. Relax. It ain't happening at UK or any other Division I program for a long, long time. And it won't be a sea change in the game because the vast majority of women will want to play with other women.

But you're kidding yourself if you think this barrier won't be broken at some point. Just like women in the military. Just like women in NASCAR and open wheel racing. Just like women in football. Some coach is going to give some girl a chance, just as an NBA team once gave a women's college player an invite to camp in the 1980s.

I have to admit, I'd want to watch to see how she handles herself. If she's money at the line in the final minute of a game, it might get really interesting.

Okay, guys. Relax. It ain't happening at UK or any other Division I program for a long, long time. And it won't be a sea change in the game because the vast majority of women will want to play with other women.

But you're kidding yourself if you think this barrier won't be broken at some point. Just like women in the military. Just like women in NASCAR and open wheel racing. Just like women in football. Some coach is going to give some girl a chance, just as an NBA team once gave a women's college player an invite to camp in the 1980s.

I have to admit, I'd want to watch to see how she handles herself. If she's money at the line in the final minute of a game, it might get really interesting.
Now you're trolling. But I'll keep playing.

This is a skill barrier, not an opportunity barrier. This isn't about kicking an extra point or something to do with form...

When the MLB didn't allow black players, it was known that they could play better than white players. Name one woman who could be on a D1 roster?

Now lets say there was 1 female good enough to be on a D1 roster, ok? That woman would basically be a practice player and a Brad Calipari type role where everyone screams shoot at the end of the game.

That woman would be the best female athlete in the world more than likely. So...she'd choose to sit on a D1 bench...rather than be the star of a league where she could dominate and make a lot of money professionally and in endorsements?

So logistically...it just wouldn't make sense. Less play time, having to be in a separate locker-room, no chance at a pro career....

??

The US started allowing women in the military literally more than 70 years ago.

And it only kind of furthers to the point, because to this day, they still have much lower entrance requirements, vastly higher injury rates, bring down the speed of every unit that they join, and have a 0% pass rate for the entrance exams for a number of the special operations units.

I think they're valuable in a number of operational roles, but when we're talking about boots on the ground, it's still a publicity stunt as far as I'm concerned. They will win 0% of hand to hand combat encounters and having one captured is a complete negotiating nightmare.

??

The US started allowing women in the military literally more than 70 years ago.

And it only kind of furthers to the point, because to this day, they still have much lower entrance requirements, vastly higher injury rates, bring down the speed of every unit that they join, and have a 0% pass rate for the entrance exams for a number of the special operations units.

I think they're valuable in a number of operational roles, but when we're talking about boots on the ground, it's still a publicity stunt as far as I'm concerned. They will win 0% of hand to hand combat encounters and having one captured is a complete negotiating nightmare.

Okay, I'll give you that one. Didn't realize they'd been in that long.

Now you're trolling. But I'll keep playing.

This is a skill barrier, not an opportunity barrier. This isn't about kicking an extra point or something to do with form...

When the MLB didn't allow black players, it was known that they could play better than white players. Name one woman who could be on a D1 roster?

Now lets say there was 1 female good enough to be on a D1 roster, ok? That woman would basically be a practice player and a Brad Calipari type role where everyone screams shoot at the end of the game.

That woman would be the best female athlete in the world more than likely. So...she'd choose to sit on a D1 bench...rather than be the star of a league where she could dominate and make a lot of money professionally and in endorsements?

So logistically...it just wouldn't make sense. Less play time, having to be in a separate locker-room, no chance at a pro career....

What if she grew up playing with her brothers and had no interest in women's competition? And the girl from Oregon...Ionescu or something like that....you don't think she could play for a smaller school for the men's team? I don't know about you, but the modern game in my eyes has turned into glorified AAU ball. If you had a player like Ionescu who excelled at the basics and the fundamentals, and you were a coach who looked for those things...why not give her a shot? Again, this is all contingent on a female player coming along that WANTS to play with the men. But that day is coming.

Have you ever watched women’s basketball? I doubt seriously that the best woman’s player in division I could make the roster of the worst team in men’s division I.
I don’t think the best player in women’s basket all could consistently compete against men at any level of college basketball.

That would be great, if the ever get their wish and get any kind of equality pay I could see many people adopting that stance to take over the league.

Im not sure how the WNBA can expect their players to make anywhere near what NBA players make. The WNBA literally operates at a loss. NBA players make what they make because they bring in billions $. WNBA not so much.

Reactions: Fox2monk

The only way that barrier is broken is if it’s a gimmick or publicity stunt. It won’t be bc a woman can legitimately compete with high level male basketball players.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
What if she grew up playing with her brothers and had no interest in women's competition? And the girl from Oregon...Ionescu or something like that....you don't think she could play for a smaller school for the men's team? I don't know about you, but the modern game in my eyes has turned into glorified AAU ball. If you had a player like Ionescu who excelled at the basics and the fundamentals, and you were a coach who looked for those things...why not give her a shot? Again, this is all contingent on a female player coming along that WANTS to play with the men. But that day is coming.

So would it have been cool for Embid to play for the Kansas women’s team instead? Maybe Zion for Dukes women’s team?

Because there would be countless division II, division III, and NAIA men’s players who could do everything she could and more that you would take ahead of her.

Last edited:
Yes or no, will we see a woman play for a men's team in the next 10 years? Before you completely reject the idea, consider how good some of these girls are now at shooting. Why not have a 90 percent foul shooter on your bench? Hell some of them can dunk now.

All it will take is for a girl who wants to play with the guys and a coach willing to let her.
No

Didn't Britney Griner challenge Boogie Cousins to a One-On-One game? Seems like she did and he laughed at her about it and she was serious.

He would have KILLED her.[laughing]

Yes or no, will we see a woman play for a men's team in the next 10 years? Before you completely reject the idea, consider how good some of these girls are now at shooting. Why not have a 90 percent foul shooter on your bench? Hell some of them can dunk now.

All it will take is for a girl who wants to play with the guys and a coach willing to let her.
No. Dumb thread. There is women’s college basketball for women to play in.

There’s better arguments for you to use, that right there is straight trolling.

If you want fundamentals, I can send you to some great NAIA games and DIII games.

A division 1 scholarship is pretty much given to players who are the best player...not just on their team...but in their own area.

A mid-major bench player probably averaged 20 a game and competed for a state title.

D1 coaches ain’t going around saying “oh wow, love that jump shot form!” They’re looking for a kid that’s dropping 30 points a game against BOYS or 6’6 and taller kids...30 I vet vertical kids. There’s thousands of great fundamental players out there...

It’s not “coming soon”

It needs to start with
1. A girl is able to get major minutes on a good high school team
2. Then move to a girl is able to start for a high school team
3. Then move to a girl that can maybe average 2-3 points a game against the boys
4. Then move to a girl that can average 10 Points against the boys
5. Then move to a girl that can contribute to winning on an actual good team
6. Then move to a girl that can drop 20-30 a game against boys.
7. Then that girl dominating will have to also be 4.7 speed with around a 30 inch vertical and over 6’0 tall while averaging it
8. Then a girl like that would have to be able to guard, score, jump, and run with the most elite players in the nation. Boys.

That above is what it takes for boys who aren’t 6’8 with a 40 inch vertical to even get a D1 look.

Now tell me how close we are? Because there aren’t even any good girls playing boys high school basketball? Now there are some that could play at a 1A school with 6 white players on the team who can’t jump.

It’s a fun conversation and great trolling, but if there isn’t even a girl that’s even close to playing good high school basketball on a boys team...how are we close to a girl getting a scholarship offer from D1 coaches who only give better players that are boys a look if they’re a top player on their team and area at a minimum?

We aren’t close to that...maybe there will be a freak of nature female athlete one day...but when you show me how close we are to high school and middle school girls even making a roster let alone a D1 scholarship. Give me a break.

Reactions: catben
Im not sure how the WNBA can expect their players to make anywhere near what NBA players make. The WNBA literally operates at a loss. NBA players make what they make because they bring in billions $. WNBA not so much.

I agree but they will try! Just like soccer lol. All that noise for a sport that generates revenue every World Cup!

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Not gonna lie, I hate this "woke" shit. I'm 57 and I don't give a damn; I'm a conservative and proud of it, and I'm of the opinion ideas like this are nutty. (No offense to you OP, I understand you just asked the question)

Our society has simply went off the deep end with all this social liberal crap....end of rant lol.

No, first of all, as has been stated here by others, no woman will ever be able to compete with the men, they just won't.

Second of all, women should NOT be allowed to play a MANS sport, that's why they have their own sports program. It's idiotic to allow a woman on a mans sports team, just as it would idiotic to allow a man, (even one of those mentally challenged "transgender" dudes), to play on a woman's team.

There's a reason each gender has their own programs.

If you're offended by my post, get over it.

What made me think of this was Kobe's daughter. Started thinking about how good a player she was going to be, and then I wondered if she would have wanted to play in the same league her dad did. They were so close. She wouldn't have made it in the NBA, but she could have played for Pepperdine or some school like that, gotten better against the boys, THEN settled for the WNBA.

What made me think of this was Kobe's daughter. Started thinking about how good a player she was going to be, and then I wondered if she would have wanted to play in the same league her dad did. They were so close. She wouldn't have made it in the NBA, but she could have played for Pepperdine or some school like that, gotten better against the boys, THEN settled for the WNBA.

No, she couldn’t.

They've been serving in the military a lot longer than 20 years, and the analogy is one step below absurd.

On a side note, I think you picked the perfect screen name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT