ADVERTISEMENT

94.3 points/game. This is Kentucky basketball! Well done, Cal!

Hope you have a great time and trip. Hope the Cats give you a great show and a W.
Thankie.

Just a quick work trip to Cincinnati that fell perfectly around a big UK game. Managed to get a nice aisle seat for $90 seven rows up from the visitor bench behind the basket. One of the rare "not a verified resale" ticket on Ticketmaster for this game. Meanwhile, the four seats to my left are "verified resale" (read: scalper) and were listed for $325 each.

I don't mind Bradshaw coming back and playing the 4 because Thiero is not really a three-point threat. We will gain a rim protector in Bradshaw, and Mitchell can still space by playing the 5 spot. Bradshaw's skilled enough to make opponents guard him from the perimeter. My only concern with Bradshaw is that he might be tempted to attempt drives from 18 feet in, and I'm certain he's not built for that. If he understands he's a spot-up big from three who should work on Kevin Garnett level post-ups once he's caught the ball inside 15 feet, he'll be perfect for this team.

Just don't let him handle the ball, Cal.

Thankie.

Just a quick work trip to Cincinnati that fell perfectly around a big UK game. Managed to get a nice aisle seat for $90 seven rows up from the visitor bench behind the basket. One of the rare "not a verified resale" ticket on Ticketmaster for this game. Meanwhile, the four seats to my left are "verified resale" (read: scalper) and were listed for $325 each.
Excellent. Wear a sign and wave to the TV...👍😁

Cal has only had 2 UK teams finish top 25 in A/TO ratio.

The best was 2015 at 17th. And let’s face it, 2015 was next level at almost everything.

This year we are 2nd in the country. At least so far. Something is different.

And it isn’t like we’ve never featured multiple skilled guards. That 2020 team, for instance, finished 99th in A/TO. The Fox/Monk/Briscoe team finished 31st.

I'm appreciating the improved offense as well. I don't care if an assistant is leading it or what, ultimately it's on Cal to decide what kind of style we will play. He gets credit and yes, it is a significant step up in production. You don't need to guess to see that the numbers tell the story. 94+ points per game!

We were watching a replay of the 2012 national championship game with Kansas and noticed Cal's usual approach back in those days. That 2012 team head and shoulders better than anyone that year but they only beat Kansas by 8. Why? Because Cal would always build a lead and then slow it down, run clock, and it would lead to poor shots and turnovers. Teams would come back. Kansas cut that game to 4 or 5 late in that game after UK had 20pt leads.

The other part is just the style of offense in general. Even that season, the goal was always inside-out. Anthony Davis didn't have a very good game in that one but we still kept going to him, especially in the 2nd half. His matchup wasn't very advantageous (Withey) because of his 7-1 size.

So, this season's style is much different. We're taking many more threes and working for the earliest, best shot. We're getting off more shots and more threes than in the past, and it's a much more modern offense, which is a welcomed development. Cal should be congratulated. 👍
That team had a competent defense. We have not seen anything close to that. No way that group last night drops 82 on 2012.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That team had a competent defense. We have not seen anything close to that. No way that group last night drops 82 on 2012.
Yes, that's true, but that wasn't my point. I was referring to Cal's offense in those days, which usually started fast but if ever got a 10+ pt lead would slow down and burn click, which often led to poor shots. Also, the increased focus on the three pt shot and on earlier shots.

Cal has only had 2 UK teams finish top 25 in A/TO ratio.

The best was 2015 at 17th. And let’s face it, 2015 was next level at almost everything.

This year we are 2nd in the country. At least so far. Something is different.

And it isn’t like we’ve never featured multiple skilled guards. That 2020 team, for instance, finished 99th in A/TO. The Fox/Monk/Briscoe team finished 31st.
You're going to make less turnovers when you look to score early and not nurse the ball for the entire clock. With one caveat, if you have talented players.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yes, that's true, but that wasn't my point. I was referring to Cal's offense in those days, which usually started fast but if ever got a 10+ pt lead would slow down and burn click, which often led to poor shots. Also, the increased focus on the three pt shot and on earlier shots.
I think that approach was largely due to much more competent defenses. The defense for this group is weak. Can’t really call the dogs off when you can’t defend your own basket. So your choice is cross your fingers and hope the shots keep falling. This will fail us. It has already.

I think that approach was largely due to much more competent defenses. The defense for this group is weak. Can’t really call the dogs off when you can’t defend your own basket. So your choice is cross your fingers and hope the shots keep falling. This will fail us. It has already.

Well Calipari has failed every other way the past decade so what else is new.

Well Calipari has failed every other way the past decade so what else is new.
You had to reach deep for that pearl huh? First time he’s been bashed…..in the last 10 seconds Must be nice for the Head Coach equals instant scapegoat crowd. That’s laughable as nobody in a decision making capacity thinks in such a narrow minded way oh well, have fun ripping the cats.

You had to reach deep for that pearl huh? First time he’s been bashed…..in the last 10 seconds Must be nice for the Head Coach equals instant scapegoat crowd. That’s laughable as nobody in a decision making capacity thinks in such a narrow minded way oh well, have fun ripping the cats.

Ripping your hero, not the players.

And no, it was easy because cal has made it easy on fans by his performance.

Ripping your hero, not the players.

And no, it was easy because cal has made it easy on fans by his performance.
So you think UK basketball can’t pick a basketball coach and run a program. That’s picking on everyone associated with the program. Uk can end him tomorrow, but they don’t. Think I.’ll trust the greatest college basketball program on the planet versus obviously challenged random internet whiners.

The walk ons came in just under 4 mins. It’s called calling off the dogs. Good grief. This is why we can’t have nice things

This was a joke. Had probably five teenagers in my section that were actively rooting for the scoring record, and I kinda wanted to see it in person too

I think this group has the potential to be pretty good defensively. The biggest thing they're missing right now is a shot blocker. Once our 7-footer makes his return, we'll see what we've got. AD was an historic shot blocker and goal defender. If Bradshaw is even CLOSE to that, this team instantly becomes a solid defender. You can't use that Marshall game as a gauge for how this team is defensively. We were scoring so many points and playing so fast, they weren't paying much attention to defense.

And by the way, I'm not holding the previous approach against Calipari. I know there are many who do, obviously, but I was actually giving Cal some credit about adjusting, which is a rare thing for a guy his age and with his experience. The old dog, new tricks mantra comes to mind.

I will say, that old style worked for that team because they were so good together, on both ends. This team this year has needed this style because they have lacked a shot blocker, gotta outscore folks. And this team has some great guards and that's the strength, so you gotta play to your strength. But I love the style, run and gun, shoot threes, take your first, best shot. It can work. It did backfire but once we get the full team, it could work well. Cal deserves some credit for making the plan.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat and awf
I think this group has the potential to be pretty good defensively. The biggest thing they're missing right now is a shot blocker. Once our 7-footer makes his return, we'll see what we've got. AD was an historic shot blocker and goal defender. If Bradshaw is even CLOSE to that, this team instantly becomes a solid defender. You can't use that Marshall game as a gauge for how this team is defensively. We were scoring so many points and playing so fast, they weren't paying much attention to defense.

And by the way, I'm not holding the previous approach against Calipari. I know there are many who do, obviously, but I was actually giving Cal some credit about adjusting, which is a rare thing for a guy his age and with his experience. The old dog, new tricks mantra comes to mind.

I will say, that old style worked for that team because they were so good together, on both ends. This team this year has needed this style because they have lacked a shot blocker, gotta outscore folks. And this team has some great guards and that's the strength, so you gotta play to your strength. But I love the style, run and gun, shoot threes, take your first, best shot. It can work. It did backfire but once we get the full team, it could work well. Cal deserves some credit for making the plan.
Your last sentence in the first paragraph is exactly the reason I am concerned. Defense is something you must always do. There is no time when you do not defend. We did not defend and this is all the difference. That’s the issue with so many of these athletically gifted kids last few years. They did not defend in prep school. They didn’t need to.

I’d leave you with these questions.How many times over the last few years did we need stops in the closing minutes. How many times were we desperate but those stops never came. I understand about the big guy but these players lack the mindset. A big guy isn’t going to walk on the court with that. He’s just going to cover up a few mistakes.

Uh, the players on the court executing and not playing hero ball. There was a time most of the people on this board knew a lot about the game of basketball, not anymore
Yeah they do........just ask them and they will tell that they are much smarter than Cal........

Reactions: jauk11
I'm willing to tip my hat to Calipari when he appears to have changed his philosophy. I love this season so far.

Keep it coming, Cal.
But, but , but---

You, along with a lot of others, wanted him tarred and feathered and ran out of town. For quite some time.

This. Also, I think the players are being told to really play passing lanes aggressively due to the fact we don’t have good rim protection right now. I look for that to somewhat change once the big guys come back.

I’ll point out that your beloved is 5-0 against non-tourney teams and 0-1 against tourney teams and reiterate that racking up points against lower tier teams is about as noteworthy as those five one-night-stands your mom had about 9 months before you were born.
this is just cold blooded... Id had slapped you with a pair of welding gloves and challenged you to a duel with fist.

I’m enjoying the great floor spacing, effective movement of the ball (passing), and players without the ball moving and cutting. It’s more dynamic than standing around dribbling, and it gives ample opportunity to wear down and exploit the defense. Cudos to the coaches for playing to our strengths (especially without rim defenders), and cudos to the players for being smart, skilled, and efficient executors of the offensive scheme. I am also glad to see Tyler Ullis on the sidelines as he was one of our smartest guards ever, and now he is imparting his wisdom on these guards. This can be a very special year.
this where i disagree, the coaches aren't playing to our strength, the players are. We've had strengths the past several year, CCC never played to them. The only difference this year is the players. CCC is the same ole CCC. Ever heard this before? Just wait until next year. When these guys are gone it will look like 2018-22 again.

this where i disagree, the coaches aren't playing to our strength, the players are. We've had strengths the past several year, CCC never played to them. The only difference this year is the players. CCC is the same ole CCC. Ever heard this before? Just wait until next year. When these guys are gone it will look like 2018-22 again.
I don't quite understand this line of thinking (granted it is early in the morning, so I may not be firing on all cylinders yet)...you say the coaches aren't playing to our strength, but the players are?

Are you saying the players are just doing what they want with no offensive guidance/strategy from the coaching? That is pretty hard to believe, especially at the collegiate level.

Reactions: Coalfield Cat
Ohhhhhh.......you mean he tries to utilize the talent he has? Your statement looks stupid.........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT