ADVERTISEMENT

94.3 points/game. This is Kentucky basketball! Well done, Cal!

mo-bamba-kid.gif

Wait until we unleash the 3 footers

The only philosophy Cal has changed is getting back to his roots of bringing in the best of the best.

And regardless of rankings these guys are just different. They have something that you just don’t teach.

Sheppard, Wagner and Dillingham have “it”. They just know. They make mistakes, yes! But they keep their heads up after mistakes and keep playing.

They look like guys that have played together for years.

Sheppard and Wagner are good defenders too. Dillingham has the ability to be a good defender.

But we can’t outgun everyone. We are going to have to have post defense and rebounding.

The sooner we get Onyenso and/or Bradshaw the better.

The only philosophy Cal has changed is getting back to his roots of bringing in the best of the best.

And regardless of rankings these guys are just different. They have something that you just don’t teach.

Sheppard, Wagner and Dillingham have “it”. They just know. They make mistakes, yes! But they keep their heads up after mistakes and keep playing.

Sheppard and Wagner are good defenders too. Dillingham has the ability to be a good defender.

But we can’t outgun everyone. We are going to have to have post defense and rebounding.

You really shouldn't post. If you can't tell the difference in the offense, you really don't have a clue.

Agree with this 100%. Cal didn't completely change his approach in the span of a few months. The reason we're playing like this now is because we have the personnel for it. We played a different style the last few years because that's what the personnel dictated. We didn't have the shooters or the athletes. We had a generational offensive rebounder so the offensive philosophy really leaned into that. A missed shot and an Oscar rebound was a feature of the offense.

This is probably the best shooting team Cal has ever had at UK. He didn't relearn offense, he's just playing a style that the players can execute.

Agree with this 100%. Cal didn't completely change his approach in the span of a few months. The reason we're playing like this now is because we have the personnel for it. We played a different style the last few years because that's what the personnel dictated. We didn't have the shooters or the athletes. We had a generational offensive rebounder so the offensive philosophy really leaned into that. A missed shot and an Oscar rebound was a feature of the offense.

This is probably the best shooting team Cal has ever had at UK. He didn't relearn offense, he's just playing a style that the players can execute.
Cal FINALLY realized that recruiting players that can SCORE in different ways instead of just being exceptional athletes was the EASIEST way to turn it around!! Pair that with bringing in Coach Welch who is an offensive WHIZ and you get what we are seeing with this team!!!

SCORING the ball AND the ability to shoot the 3 was something we saw when he first arrived, then he got away from it. Glad he has CHANGED the way he recruits and plays!!! Hope it STAYS that way!!!

I actually thought this is what the dribble drive would look like when Cal came.

I'm so impressed with their ability to take care of the ball. Crazy turnovers have been an issue lately. These guys being freshman to boot is really striking.

Last edited:
Cal FINALLY realized that recruiting players that can SCORE in different ways instead of just being exceptional athletes was the EASIEST way to turn it around!! Pair that with bringing in Coach Welch who is an offensive WHIZ and you get what we are seeing with this team!!!

SCORING the ball AND the ability to shoot the 3 was something we saw when he first arrived, then he got away from it. Glad he has CHANGED the way he recruits and plays!!! Hope it STAYS that way!!!
What a concept....guys who can shoot in the game of basketball.

Only took Cal, what....four years to relearn, or learn, this basic concept.

We're playing this way because of Welch.

You really shouldn't post. If you can't tell the difference in the offense, you really don't have a clue.

We're playing this way because of Welch.

Yikes. This is really your take?

Yikes. This is really
Yikes. This is really your take?

Thank you for this mansplanation.

LOL another genius post trying to rehabilitate Cal's failures while instead highlighting them. Well done.

I'm appreciating the improved offense as well. I don't care if an assistant is leading it or what, ultimately it's on Cal to decide what kind of style we will play. He gets credit and yes, it is a significant step up in production. You don't need to guess to see that the numbers tell the story. 94+ points per game!

We were watching a replay of the 2012 national championship game with Kansas and noticed Cal's usual approach back in those days. That 2012 team head and shoulders better than anyone that year but they only beat Kansas by 8. Why? Because Cal would always build a lead and then slow it down, run clock, and it would lead to poor shots and turnovers. Teams would come back. Kansas cut that game to 4 or 5 late in that game after UK had 20pt leads.

The other part is just the style of offense in general. Even that season, the goal was always inside-out. Anthony Davis didn't have a very good game in that one but we still kept going to him, especially in the 2nd half. His matchup wasn't very advantageous (Withey) because of his 7-1 size.

So, this season's style is much different. We're taking many more threes and working for the earliest, best shot. We're getting off more shots and more threes than in the past, and it's a much more modern offense, which is a welcomed development. Cal should be congratulated. 👍

Are you gonna talk down our point total like u did the st joe one? Lol. Goober.
I’ll point out that your beloved is 5-0 against non-tourney teams and 0-1 against tourney teams and reiterate that racking up points against lower tier teams is about as noteworthy as those five one-night-stands your mom had about 9 months before you were born.

Reactions: KFuqua
I'm appreciating the improved offense as well. I don't care if an assistant is leading it or what, ultimately it's on Cal to decide what kind of style we will play. He gets credit and yes, it is a significant step up in production. You don't need to guess to see that the numbers tell the story. 94+ points per game!

We were watching a replay of the 2012 national championship game with Kansas and noticed Cal's usual approach back in those days. That 2012 team head and shoulders better than anyone that year but they only beat Kansas by 8. Why? Because Cal would always build a lead and then slow it down, run clock, and it would lead to poor shots and turnovers. Teams would come back. Kansas cut that game to 4 or 5 late in that game after UK had 20pt leads.

The other part is just the style of offense in general. Even that season, the goal was always inside-out. Anthony Davis didn't have a very good game in that one but we still kept going to him, especially in the 2nd half. His matchup wasn't very advantageous (Withey) because of his 7-1 size.

So, this season's style is much different. We're taking many more threes and working for the earliest, best shot. We're getting off more shots and more threes than in the past, and it's a much more modern offense, which is a welcomed development. Cal should be congratulated. 👍
If it continues? Knowing Cal's past coaching worries me. Also, lack of good defense is a worry.

Reactions: jauk11
I’ll point out that your beloved is 5-0 against non-tourney teams and 0-1 against tourney teams and reiterate that racking up points against lower tier teams is about as noteworthy as those five one-night-stands your mom had about 9 months before you were born.

Must have touched a note ms. Goober.

You can't stand UK looking good offensively.

Only UK fans would find ways to continuously bitch about things after a complete blowout win and a very impressive start to the season with a bunch of freshmen and all of our post players out.

Reactions: jauk11
Only UK fans would find ways to continuously bitch about things after a complete blowout win and a very impressive start to the season with a bunch of freshmen and all of our post players out.

That one clown isn't a real UK fan. It a troll.

I would usually say "meh, call me when we play real competition", but we put up 84 against KU (could have been over 90 and a win if Reeves didn't go ice cold), scored over 90 against a decent mid-major in St. Joe's, and spent last night raining threes like an NBA team.

If we can do it again this Tuesday (my first game attendance at Rupp since UL way back in 2015 or 2016), I'll be convinced we have a potent offense against any competition.

Until the UT game...knowing how they hack and smack and foul, it will be very interesting to see if we can hit shots and score like we are now. That game may end up being stuck in the 60s due to fouling. Will Barnes prefer giving up FTs to avoid threes?

I would usually say "meh, call me when we play real competition", but we put up 84 against KU (could have been over 90 and a win if Reeves didn't go ice cold), scored over 90 against a decent mid-major in St. Joe's, and spent last night raining threes like an NBA team.

If we can do it again this Tuesday (my first game attendance at Rupp since UL way back in 2015 or 2016), I'll be convinced we have a potent offense against any competition.

Until the UT game...knowing how they hack and smack and foul, it will be very interesting to see if we can hit shots and score like we are now. That game may end up being stuck in the 60s due to fouling. Will Barnes prefer giving up FTs to avoid threes?
Hope you have a great time and trip. Hope the Cats give you a great show and a W.

I’m enjoying the great floor spacing, effective movement of the ball (passing), and players without the ball moving and cutting. It’s more dynamic than standing around dribbling, and it gives ample opportunity to wear down and exploit the defense. Cudos to the coaches for playing to our strengths (especially without rim defenders), and cudos to the players for being smart, skilled, and efficient executors of the offensive scheme. I am also glad to see Tyler Ullis on the sidelines as he was one of our smartest guards ever, and now he is imparting his wisdom on these guards. This can be a very special year.

There will definitely be games where we get slowed down but I feel like we shoot well enough to hit 9-10 3’s every single game. That used to be a mark that every Cal team won on. We can do that now and hit FT’s. We finally have guards all around that can do everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT