ADVERTISEMENT

8 million dollar Insurance policy (Zion)

I'm saying that letting the athletes make money on their own and then giving every member of a team a share of the profits generated is a pretty simple fix.

So say Duke makes $50 million this year. Obviously that's not all profit and you can't just divide that all among the players. But it's absolutely enough to pay each player x amount, plus bonuses from conference and NCAA tournaments.

Then, if Nike and Gatorade and whoever want to pay Zion millions of dollars, or if Zion wants to put a link to his PayPal in his instagram bio, let him. And then let the NCAA and espn cut him a royalties check for using his face and his highlights for the next 40 years.

I am perfectly fine with them getting royalties from the NCAA. Lord knows they are a profit driven bunch of scum bags. I also don't have a problem with them making money from their likeness in the form of memorabilia, shirts, etc. I just think it is insane when people act like they are getting next to nothing for a full ride scholarship.

I told my daughter she should have spent more time practicing sports than her school work and she might not graduate with student loans out the ying yang. To be honest my youngest daughter who is 10 really likes golf and I am thinking of investing in lessons as it would be a lot cheaper than college and a decent female golfer can get a full ride.

Reactions: blubo
So what do you propose that they pay the hundreds of student athletes every year? We aren't dealing with just 1 guy or even 12 basketball players. I mean the average G League salary is $44,000. So you are saying colleges should be paying more for its hundreds of student athletes?

College players should be able to make money off their name. Autographs, jersey sales, etc.

How many Duke fans would have a Zion Williamson jersey this year?

Also, this way the bad players weren’t being “paid” the same as some of these future All-Stars.

Some people think everything has to be “fair.”

No.

Playing in college and at Duke has made Zion MILLIONS.

Last year hardly anyone knew who he was. He would have been drafted and gotten endorsements but his notoriety, exposure, and attention he has gotten this year has made him a crapload of money.

That kid is the number 1 pick unless he has a terminal illness and they make him stop playing. He won't be 2. He won't be three. won't be five. Hell be the number one pick. The team who drafts him will be able to tank another season and get another top three pick

Last edited:
the argument to pay players is stupid. there is alot of benefits that they get. but the NCAA is stupid for not letting them make money off their own image in the off season. cause honestly Im sure that would keep some of them from jumping to soon, and would allow them to gauge how profitable they could be for future endorsements. but the simplest and easiest fix would be for the NBA to get rid of the 1 one and done restriction. let the players that are ready go and will will stop seeing guys leave who think they could have been drafted right out of high school

I am perfectly fine with them getting royalties from the NCAA. Lord knows they are a profit driven bunch of scum bags. I also don't have a problem with them making money from their likeness in the form of memorabilia, shirts, etc. I just think it is insane when people act like they are getting next to nothing for a full ride scholarship.

I told my daughter she should have spent more time practicing sports than her school work and she might not graduate with student loans out the ying yang. To be honest my youngest daughter who is 10 really likes golf and I am thinking of investing in lessons as it would be a lot cheaper than college and a decent female golfer can get a full ride.

Your first paragraph touches on where my whole stance comes from. The money exists. It's already there. But for some reason people had rather it go to Mark Emmert than Zion Williamson.

And I feel you on the second one. But I'm also part of the problem because I spend my money funding sports instead of academic scholarships.

Playing in college and at Duke has made Zion MILLIONS.

Last year hardly anyone knew who he was. He would have been drafted and gotten endorsements but his notoriety, exposure, and attention he has gotten this year has made him a crapload of money.

Lol good grief. Hardly anyone knew who he was? He had millions of social media followers before he ever committed to any school. Drake wore his high school jersey on stage. He's the biggest prep phenom since LeBron.

Reactions: 420grover
Every damn one of these policies should have to be paid by the school, and the parameters oughta be more player friendly and pay out more.

Zion won't fall below 16 no matter what. But an injury to his knees or Achilles could push him from 1 to 7-8 and that's a whole lot of money.

Not sure that there has ever been an insurance payout at least in basketball. If Zion were to be drafted 10th that’s still about 10 million dollars over a 3 year period and that is just contract #1. He would be fine either way.

Lol good grief. Hardly anyone knew who he was? He had millions of social media followers before he ever committed to any school. Drake wore his high school jersey on stage. He's the biggest prep phenom since LeBron.

This is nonsense.

No, no he didn't. He was known to people who follow recruiting and big time basketball fans. Now he is known to everyone. My mom and sister texted me about Zion today, they had no clue who he was last year.

ESPN had a business reporter talking about this exact thing along with Jalen Rose on the radio. Had he gone to the draft last year he would probably have been a top 10 pick, not the number one pick. That right there is a difference of between $12-20 million over 4 years. He would have gotten endorsement deals but not anywhere close (ESPN guy said he will get 5-10x more now) to what he will get now.

So, exactly like I said....him going to Duke has made him MILLIONS. No way you can argue it hasn't.

Right. Lots of other reasonable alternatives.

No one "has" to do anything. You don't have to eat or pay taxes but we live in a world with analytical facts and common sense that makes all that literal, technical nonsense a waste of time.

What a ridiculous argument for such a smart guy. And I mean that. This shows that the agenda is outweighing your common sense.

You can say there are no other alternatives as much as you like. It doesn’t make it true. It’s blatantly false, completely false. But I think you already know that.

This is a grievance play. It’s not about right or wrong, it’s about tapping the next recourse. It’s easier to make money in college (if able) than to do It in the nba. It’s just a scheme to get more cash for more people. And why college basketball fans want to buy into it I’ll never understand. It’s not going to help the game it’s going to kill it.

This is nonsense.

No, no he didn't. He was known to people who follow recruiting and big time basketball fans. Now he is known to everyone. My mom and sister texted me about Zion today, they had no clue who he was last year.

ESPN had a business reporter talking about this exact thing along with Jalen Rose on the radio. Had he gone to the draft last year he would probably have been a top 10 pick, not the number one pick. That right there is a difference of between $12-20 million over 4 years. He would have gotten endorsement deals but not anywhere close (ESPN guy said he will get 5-10x more now) to what he will get now.

So, exactly like I said....him going to Duke has made him MILLIONS. No way you can argue it hasn't.

He would be at Duke unless it was extremely beneficial. None of these guys would.

Guy like Gonzo want the recourse tapped. It’s not about anything else. To even try and make the argument that these guys are basically forced into college tells you all you need to know about the true motives. They don’t have anything so they make sht up.

Out of one side they say “college is meaningless and they don’t develop well”. Out the other side “they have no choice they have to go to college it’s the best and only option”.

Stupidity.

Just goes to show that while they may not get a paycheck they do have pretty good incentives and benefits to play college sports. I sat through my daughters graduation and saw kids who could barely score the minimum on their ACT to get into college get full rides to play sports and other kids who had decent ACT scores and GPA's get nothing. I understand the schools and NCAA are making money from their likeness but don't believe the narrative that they get nothing out of the deal because they don't get paid a salary.
He will have the best orthopedic doctors available. If you or I tore our knee no way we'd ever get the level of care he will.

If you pay players, how do you determine who gets what? The programs that make more money can pay more for players which means it’s not a level playing field as far as recruiting goes. Players would simply go to the school who can offer more. Maybe not 100% of the time, but that’s what I worry about. You’ll have the same 5 programs getting the cream of the crop every year and then certain players will be pissed because “x-player” gets more money than him.

Pay for immediate family to travel to some games and maybe even some room/board when they attend those games. Even let kids make money off of their likeness. Still a little unfair to certain programs as well due to market size, but not like programs actually paying players.

As one poster above kind of said, they have a choice. Eating/paying taxes isn’t the same thing as choosing your profession and how to get to a desired level of the profession you choose. Not eating and not paying taxes has consequences. Going to play in Europe for one year where you get paid to do so doesn’t have the same consequences as not eating/not paying taxes. Don’t wanna risk getting injured while not making any money? Train for a year or go play in a league where you get paid, ala Terrence Ferguson.

This is nonsense.

He had millions of social media followers last year but your mom and sister didn't know who he was so I guess that's all the proof anyone needs that Zion wasn't famous before Duke.

He would be at Duke unless it was extremely beneficial. None of these guys would.

Guy like Gonzo want the recourse tapped. It’s not about anything else. To even try and make the argument that these guys are basically forced into college tells you all you need to know about the true motives. They don’t have anything so they make sht up.

Out of one side they say “college is meaningless and they don’t develop well”. Out the other side “they have no choice they have to go to college it’s the best and only option”.

Stupidity.

You're right, that imaginary claim that no one is making is incredibly stupid. We're all glad you were here to refute it. Otherwise zero people might have continued to believe it, and then where would we all be?

But you literally don't have to do those things. Right? Just like these players literally don't have to play in college under the current rules.

Not a good correlation. If you don’t eat you will die a painful death. If you don’t pay taxes you go to prison for a felony.

If you don’t play college basketball.... ?

What a ridiculous argument for such a smart guy. And I mean that. This shows that the agenda is outweighing your common sense.

You can say there are no other alternatives as much as you like. It doesn’t make it true. It’s blatantly false, completely false. But I think you already know that.

This is a grievance play. It’s not about right or wrong, it’s about tapping the next recourse. It’s easier to make money in college (if able) than to do It in the nba. It’s just a scheme to get more cash for more people. And why college basketball fans want to buy into it I’ll never understand. It’s not going to help the game it’s going to kill it.

You're smart enough to know that I used those examples on purpose. You're also smart enough to know what the comparison really means. Don't be disingenuous.

30k per year compared to billions in revenue. You can find parallels to that level of disparity but you won't want to use them to support your point, I promise.
It isn't 30K, its more like 100K, at least. We've been over this before, your slavery analogy is just ignorant. They can already go straight to the GL if they want but they seem to prefer getting the training and even more valuable, the marketing they receive from playing high profile college sports. That marketing is worth a small fortune for lots of those guys. There aren't billions in profit being made, the NCAA brings in about a billion and pays out around 850M to member schools. That money helps kids go to school on scholarships and much more. You act like there is some fat white guy smoking a cigar counting his millions while ordering these kids to play basketball. The picture you create is warped beyond belief and has no basis in reality.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Not a good correlation. If you don’t eat you will die a painful death. If you don’t pay taxes you go to prison for a felony.

If you don’t play college basketball.... ?

Use your head, Frank. Read it within the context of what I'm replying to. Note the words literal and technical. It's all there. I'm aware that you die if you don't eat. I'm aware that you don't die if you skip college basketball.

It isn't 30K, its more like 100K, at least. We've been over this before, your slavery analogy is just ignorant. They can already go straight to the GL if they want but they seem to prefer getting the training and even more valuable, the marketing they receive from playing high profile college sports. That marketing is worth a small fortune for lots of those guys. There aren't billions in profit being made, the NCAA brings in about a billion and pays out around 850M to member schools. That money helps kids go to school on scholarships and much more. You act like there is some fat white guy smoking a cigar counting his millions while ordering these kids to play basketball. The picture you create is warped beyond belief and has no basis in reality.

I'd like to see the breakdown of that 100k then.

No one made a slavery analogy.

No one has said there aren't benefits to playing college basketball. No one has said it isn't the best current option.

But even granting you your numbers and believing the NCAA's PR, that leaves over $150 million unaccounted for.

It also ignores that the individual schools make money. Texas brought in a quarter billion dollars themselves last year.

And if somehow, in all those millions, you still can't figure out a way to pay the sources of the revenue, then maybe just agree to step aside and see if any of them figure it out on their own. Try it for a year and see what happens. Think anyone could manage to find some money?

As I said earlier, I have no issues if they are able to sell merchandise, shirts or anything else from their likeness. I also have no issue with the NCAA paying a salary but the universities are the only ones giving anything monetary wise currently.

iStock_000054572854SmallScorpsillegal.jpg

He had millions of social media followers last year but your mom and sister didn't know who he was so I guess that's all the proof anyone needs that Zion wasn't famous before Duke.

And (not surprising) you conveniently skip the facts I shared from the ESPN business segment on the radio talking about the increase in money he will make after this year at Duke.

Am I mistaken, can’t this be used as a recruiting tool?

Look here Zion, if you come to Duke, we are so confident that we will make you a top pick in next years draft that we will pay for an $8M settlement to you if we fail in that regard. So, young man, no matter what, you are a millionaire in 8 months.
PS: here’s the $100k in cash we discussed also.

We don’t know that’s accurate. We don’t know if that’s after 1 year or 4 years. Is it any below 16 in next 4 years or only after one and done. Does that include paying out because of injury? No one knows how those are written. What happens if he drops out of 16 cause he committed a crime ? Or got injured on his own at home snow boarding. Must be a reason why cal stresses to let them
Go when they are ready.

You're smart enough to know that I used those examples on purpose. You're also smart enough to know what the comparison really means. Don't be disingenuous.
Don’t give him the benefit of the doubt, he really isn’t that smart.

So just read zion has an $8,000,000.00 insurance policy if he drops below #16 in the draft. The cost of which was $50,000.00 paid in advance premiums. Who paid the policy premium?
His Moma and Daddy?

Just goes to show that while they may not get a paycheck they do have pretty good incentives and benefits to play college sports. I sat through my daughters graduation and saw kids who could barely score the minimum on their ACT to get into college get full rides to play sports and other kids who had decent ACT scores and GPA's get nothing. I understand the schools and NCAA are making money from their likeness but don't believe the narrative that they get nothing out of the deal because they don't get paid a salary.

Hear, Hear.

People make it seem like the insurance policy is a benefit. Is it nice sure. They easily could get that on their own if they were able to go one and done. Which now the g league will alllow them to. Those policies are for the elite. Let’s not pretend everyone gets them. They are a very low risk policies. Drop below 16th. That’s a hellava risk the insurance policy took. In addition we don’t know how those policies are written. Players should be compensated case closed. These bs insurance policies mean zero. He could of got that on his own and every damn agent on the planet would of happpily paid it to represent him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT