ADVERTISEMENT

71-70 10 seconds left....coaching moment..

Ok this is where i say all the time just because your name isnt Coach Cal..doesnt mean you cant see things he doesnt....here goes...Jalen Johnson who had broke the backboard on earlier free throw was in the game...we should have fouled him before the ball ever came in and make him hit free throws...but i assure you that never crossed his mind
Have to be careful. If said player you choose---never moves, and you foul him? Its intentional. Risky move to do this. I don't know for sure, but I don't Jalen Johnson ever attempted to get the ball. Intentional foul there ends the game. Two made free throws does not.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
no I'm sure you're right Cal never makes any adjustments
what adjustments did Cal make tonight that you noticed? how about other big games. I'm very open to hear what you have to say because I'd like to know if I just can't see the things.

I was thinking more in terms of Bam or Fox taking the ball to the hole

Funny thing about that. Fox was trying. Bam was trying.

Pitino's plan was dirt simple. Stop Monk. Don't let them to the rim. If he doesn't run out out of fouls, he's in the ball game. He was not going to let happen exactly what you suggested. You beat that strategy by making jumpers and foul shots.

Guess what?

If at least some coaching wasn't involved Rick Barnes and Thad Matta would be a whole lot better than they are. Cal might not be the greatest ever but he is not as bad with X's and O's as some would like to think.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and Poetax
you actually believe that John Calipari, inarguably top 3 in his profession as a college basketball coach, does not make in game adjustments
are you being serious? Of course he makes in game adjustments. he just doesn't do it well all the time. it's fine our conversation needs to go no further.

are you being serious? Of course he makes in game adjustments. he just doesn't do it well all the time. it's fine our conversation needs to go no further.

So bad is John Calipari at in game adjustments that he has a winning record against Roy Williams, Bill Self, Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan

edit: overwhelmingly winning record

Reactions: brianpoe
So bad is John Calipari at in game adjustments that he has a winning record against Roy Williams, Bill Self, Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan

edit: overwhelmingly winning record
oh i forgot the part where i said any of those guys were better coaches. good job, good effort

If you want to give Cal the ultimate praise which 90% of the time he absolutely deserves you also have to be able to point out his shortcomings and that my friends is in game adjustments. He flat out doesn't do it.

said someone in this thread who is now backtracking

Ok this is where i say all the time just because your name isnt Coach Cal..doesnt mean you cant see things he doesnt....here goes...Jalen Johnson who had broke the backboard on earlier free throw was in the game...we should have fouled him before the ball ever came in and make him hit free throws...but i assure you that never crossed his mind

Did you attend those imaginary UNC classes to get this smart?

If you want to give Cal the ultimate praise which 90% of the time he absolutely deserves you also have to be able to point out his shortcomings and that my friends is in game adjustments. He flat out doesn't do it.

said someone in this thread who is now backtracking
i've backtracked zero.

i dont post here and read here as often as i used to i assume from everyone's reaction UMM is a big troll, fair enough. However you aren't a rational fan if you can't see that Cal's biggest wins are players making plays and when we lose tight games it players not making plays. That's his thing. We beat UNC because Monk went against Cal's wishes and popped a 3. He made it that's awesome. However in every big game we lost Cal has made little to no coaching adjustments. You lose to USCjr on the road, Auburn, Baylor in January, that doesn't get the ire of most of the fanbase. But you lose in the tournament as a favorite to a lesser team, lose to a UNC, Duke, UL, IU those kinds of teams in the regular season games you should be fired up and ready to coach in that's a problem.

Everyone and every team has bad nights, but if you are such a homer and Cal apologist you can't admit that for all his strengths his one biggest weakness is not being able to make in game adjustments i don't know that i can consider your opinion worth merit. I love Cal, love his swag and his bravado, but i can't watch Fox and Briscoe take terrible shots and look off Bam in the post. Make lazy entry passes. When Cal said after 2013 I'll never let a team hold me hostage again and he's let his team dictate to him every year.

When it was clear Monk was off getting to the rim should of become the plan and feeding Bam. Rick outsmarted Cal, mucked the game, and baited us in to taking terrible shots, at no point did Cal ever try to stop it. Just like Huggy in 2010. In the same regard Rick saw how terrible our pick n roll D was, just like UCLA he used it to kill us. Just like Wisconsin did in 2015 and UConn in 2014. If you want to give Cal the ultimate praise which 90% of the time he absolutely deserves you also have to be able to point out his shortcomings and that my friends is in game adjustments. He flat out doesn't do it.

The problem is have you ever came on after a win and said Cal coached a great game or has his players always the reason for the wins? I haven't seen you or some others do it so it's sounds like an agenda problem for you in my opinion. But go ahead and whine some will agree with you tonight especially after a loss, convenient.

you actually believe that John Calipari, inarguably top 3 in his profession as a college basketball coach, does not make in game adjustments

Honestly Lou, I think this is cut nets with a new name same complaining.

Yes fouling a player away from the ball would be something new. Never done before. Look we are a nice team. No more, no less. We were out played and out coached this evening. Cal would tell you that. Cal has 1 glaring flaw. He falls in love with a player. This year its Briscoe. Before that it was the Harrisons. (I still see ulis on the bench last 5 mins of the WI game) it is what it is as they say

I said same thing should have been done ASAP...Poor job by staff. Just like our bad break when Fox penetrates and throws lob to Bam they clobbered him he missed both and we all knew he would. That was either smart or lucky

Yes fouling a player away from the ball would be something new. Never done before. Look we are a nice team. No more, no less. We were out played and out coached this evening. Cal would tell you that. Cal has 1 glaring flaw. He falls in love with a player. This year its Briscoe. Before that it was the Harrisons. (I still see ulis on the bench last 5 mins of the WI game) it is what it is as they say

First of all, we are more than a nice team. We have played 3 close games against veteran top 10 teams, in which we are 1-2. We have blown everybody else out, including a few teams that will be in the tournament, all while starting 4 freshmen and a sophmore. The season is long and there's plenty of it remaining.

Secondly, while there does seem to be at least a couple of players which draw the playing time question from fans every year, most of those decisions are gut/feeling decisions. The problem is we know for a fact the outcomes of Cal's decisions, we do not know the effects of the alternate decisions, and the mentality it takes to make that decision. Maybe in that moment playing Ulis would have won the game, maybe not. The issue is the mentality it takes to do that would have made other decisions different as well, including decisions that could have cost us the game against ND, then the only decision to be made during the Wisconsin game would have been whether to watch it or not.

Might wanna confirm with BBS

Almost always, the worst foul shooter is very far away from the play, and the refs are not watching them. Plus, they rarely will call a foul away from the ball in those situations. If it is blatant enough to get their attention, and the call, it will most likely get you an intentional.

Yes i know intentional foul is possible but that why you practice that stuff
Yup, these kids have all day every day to practice, Cal has all tge time in the world to teach these guys everything they need to know.
Yup, these freshman should already know everything that a senior laden team knows.

Everything looks really easy from that cell you're sitting in doesn't it?

I figured that out Aike..he didnt and had Johnson been fouled we might not have had to take a 40 footer to tie
It's not like our guards were taking it inside anyway, they shot jumpers all game long, and you expect them to change that at that point in the game?

Yes Aike..its outside the box when you know Pitimo isnt gonna throw it to him...actually an oversight on his part that he was in the game

Actually, it was not an oversight. Pitino has to be aware that UK is going to go hard for a steal. If they get it, he needs his best defenders in the game because Cal never calls a time out in that situation as he prefers to trust his guys and not let the defense get set.

As to fouling Johnson before the ball goes into play, it is an interesting idea, but there are too many risk factors involved with it. 1) the possibility of an intentional foul call, which would have been game over. 2) players so focused on fouling Johnson they forget to deny the in bounds pass. 3) these are freshmen and a sophomore and it's mid December, they have not had the time to practice many of these situations yet.

Like you said, when you coach, you have to think of EVERYTHING.

You arent gonna get a turnover there most likely but fine ...after the inbound i still foul Johnson every time
You do realize that Cal knows all of these things in that 2 minute timeout he took and made a decision on what he felt was best at that time.
You come along after hours of analyzing the results and say Cal shoulda done this or that. Cal doesn't have the luxury of knowing how things are going to turn out.
Stop playing Monday morning Quarterback, it's dumb.

Last edited:
thank you, perfect example of exactly what i mean. question Cal, must be a troll and fan of another team. Duke sucks. they stole 2 titles from us when we had the best team. May do it again this year. Doesn't change the fact that Cal makes serious tactical errors in games. Kansas has lost to Bucknell and Northern Iowa and I'll say the same thing every coach should answer for shortcomings. Cal is not immune to it. K when he lost those games choked, Self when he lost choked. If we try adjustments and lose fine, at least you went down swinging, but we just continue to bang a square peg in a round hole.
Are you saying Cal doesn't answer for mistakes?
So you aren't going to credit him for the game planning that has given UK wins? Most teams crumbled under West Virginia's pressure in 2015, we crushed them. Yes, lost to them in 2010, but Cal owned his mistakes, beat them in 11 when we were down big at the half, no adjustments were made at halftime I'm sure.
How about the tournament run in 2014? Witchita state, UL, Wisconsin, Michigan…. Probably all player and no coaching huh?
Name me a coach that has won big without great players.
Let me clue you in, there is no perfect coach out there, not Phil Jackson, not Popovich, not K, not Wooden and certainly not you.

Well, answer me this. If you have it figured out Ulis, then why has every other coach practically "failed" in that situation. Coutless times I've watched a team inbound the ball in that exact situation and the ball 90% of the time goes to the better FT shooter. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling a guy on a message board knows more than 100 something head coaches in the Division 1 level is a stretch. That you have this little nugget no one possess.

To your credit, when this does happen the moron announcers always say "Don't want to foul that guy" But the thing is, you have to cut off the best guy getting the ball. The offense knows what they are going to do and where to go so it's just not as simple as foul the worst guy. Cal has his shortcomings as every coach but you can't pick him apart for that last play. Make 4 free throws between Fox and Bam and we win.

Last edited:
You should stop posting.
Who the F does make great in game adjustments and game planning every time? Do the San Antonio Spurs, Golden State Warriors, duke blue Devils and North Carolina tarholes******** win every game they play?
Name me 1 coach that "does it well all the time". Just one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT